PDA

View Full Version : Texas dad's alleged reaction to bullying triggers criminal charge

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
By CAROL CHRISTIAN, HOUSTON CHRONICLE

http://i.imgur.com/2iMDd.jpg

A Baytown father who told authorities he was tired of his son being picked on has been charged with encouraging the boy to fight a fellow student at a school bus stop.

Jorge A. Paredes, 30, was charged Monday with injury to a child after he allegedly urged his son to fight with a 13-year-old boy. Paredes was charged as a party to the offense, according to Donna Hawkins, a spokeswoman for the Harris County District Attorney's office. Paredes' juvenile son was charged with the same offense, Hawkins said.

Paredes initially told Baytown police he had gone to the bus stop in the 4700 block of Ripple Creek Drive with his son to talk to the other boy, a student at Gentry Junior School, according to the complaint.

He said the two boys started fighting, but he stopped them. After he was shown a video of the incident, however, he changed his version of the events.

The 13-year-old told police that a black truck pulled up to the bus stop about 8:15 a.m. and Paredes and his son got out, according to the complaint. He said the younger Paredes pushed and struck him, knocking him down. Then the younger boy got on top of him and hit him in the face several times.

The teen told investigators that Paredes was encouraging his son to punch and choke him during the attack.

The mother of another child at the bus stop yelled that the children should stop fighting, but Paredes told her to be quiet, the complaint states. The 13-year-old told investigators that Paredes told the woman the teenager deserved it because he had been picking on Paredes' son on the bus.

Paredes admitted he had done wrong, but said he was tired of his son being a target, according to the complaint.

Fined, jailed 2 years ago

According to court records, Paredes pleaded guilty two years ago to head-butting his wife. He was fined $1,500 and sentenced to two days in jail.

Paredes was not in custody Tuesday, according to online records. Attempts to contact him were unsuccessful.

Martin Cominsky, the Houston-based regional director of the Anti-Defamation League, said Tuesday the ADL never advocates taking violent action as a response to bullying.

"Certainly we believe there are more peaceful approaches to resolving problems," Cominsky said. "Get school officials or law enforcement involved. We never recommend that people take things into their own hands."

The organization's website, www.adl.org/combatbullying, suggests ways people can help prevent bullying, which the league says affects as many as one-third of young people.

"We have a lot of programs that teach parents, students and teachers how to respond," Cominsky said.

In a statement Tuesday, Goose Creek school district officials in Baytown said the district began an investigation Oct. 31 into "bus altercations" involving two students at Gentry. The statement didn't specify that the two students were the same ones involved in Friday's incident.

"When the investigation is complete, any necessary disciplinary action will be handled in conjunction with the district's discipline management plan," the statement said.

Hal-9000
11-09-2011, 10:24 PM
He probably would have been better served getting a video of his son being bullied before driving him to engage another child in fisticuffs :lol:

JoeyB
11-09-2011, 11:20 PM
He probably would have been better served getting a video of his son being bullied before driving him to engage another child in fisticuffs :lol:

I'm with you completely Hal...but I suspect this thread is going to fill up with pro child violence comments.

RBP
11-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Dad's wrong, but why can't kids fight any more?

Pony
11-09-2011, 11:47 PM
I think he should have made an event out of it, make some money on concessions and betting.

DemonGeminiX
11-09-2011, 11:58 PM
I think he should have made an event out of it, make some money on concessions and betting.

Televise it on pay-per-view, baby!

:dance:

Pony
11-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Televise it on pay-per-view, baby!

:dance:

:-k

I wonder if Michael Vick would be available to referee....

DemonGeminiX
11-10-2011, 12:38 AM
:-k

I wonder if Michael Vick would be available to referee....

:hand:

It's not a dog fight.

JoeyB
11-10-2011, 06:22 AM
:hand:

It's not a dog fight.

How do we know? Has anyone even seen a picture of these kids?

redred
11-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Dad's wrong, but why can't kids fight any more?

they can but need an xbox or ps3 to do it

RBP
11-10-2011, 02:24 PM
they can but need an xbox or ps3 to do it

I think boys getting in fights is part of growing up... if the parent's get involved at all, it's just as appropriate between the kids. No police and criminal charges and all that bullshit. I kicked some ass and got my ass kicked both - never thought of having someone arrested. Kids fight, so what?

Hal-9000
11-10-2011, 03:52 PM
When I was short, I got into a fight with the kid across the street.He was older, I was bigger and he started kicking my ass (dirty little %R#@!)

Almost the whole neighborhood was out watching.This was in the days before ESPN.At one point I went up to my Dad on the steps and started whining, he responded with - You started this hal, I can't help you.I was crushed inside thinking Pa would come to the rescue.My family never condoned fighting and I think someone would have stepped in to stop it had things gotten serious.Instead, Dad taught me a lesson about writing checks with your mouth that you can't make good on.....

*for those interested, a few years later I fought the same loudmouth at school in front of a much larger crowd and kicked the ever-living crap outta him :lol: We became friends in our later years.

RBP
11-10-2011, 04:26 PM
And were criminal charges involved? No.

redred
11-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I think boys getting in fights is part of growing up... if the parent's get involved at all, it's just as appropriate between the kids. No police and criminal charges and all that bullshit. I kicked some ass and got my ass kicked both - never thought of having someone arrested. Kids fight, so what?

i agree but back then if you tripped over in the street or burnt your on a hot drink you didn't look round for the nearest person to sue

RBP
11-10-2011, 05:56 PM
i agree but back then if you tripped over in the street or burnt your on a hot drink you didn't look round for the nearest person to sue

No shit right, and you certainly didn't call the police about a skirmish between two kids. Hell sometimes the dad's would even fight about it. :lol:

redred
11-10-2011, 06:20 PM
i remember getting a clip round the ear from my dad for losing a playground fight :lol:

RBP
11-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Exactly! :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I think kids should be armed....maybe not with guns (at least until they are 16), but maybe with knives and/or clubs of some sort :-k

RBP
11-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I think kids should be armed....maybe not with guns (at least until they are 16), but maybe with knives and/or clubs of some sort :-k

sarcasm?

I take it you think kids fighting should be handled in the courts?

Hal-9000
11-10-2011, 07:53 PM
We had a guy fight a girl in grade 7....we were all a little uneasy about it before it began.She beat the snot out of him :lol:

and his Dad gave him shit for fighting a girl and for losing to a girl, I was there :lol:

RBP
11-10-2011, 07:56 PM
We had a guy fight a girl in grade 7....we were all a little uneasy about it before it began.She beat the snot out of him :lol:

and his Dad gave him shit for fighting a girl and for losing to a girl, I was there :lol:

:lol:

Muddy
11-10-2011, 08:11 PM
I like when kids club seals....

Hal-9000
11-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I like when girls fight back, makes me feel tough

Muddy
11-10-2011, 09:38 PM
I like when tricks refuse to pay...

Hal-9000
11-10-2011, 10:31 PM
I like when Porky plays crack ho and I get to slap his fugly ass around and not pay for unlubricated anal afterwards

JoeyB
11-10-2011, 11:28 PM
I like when Porky plays crack ho and I get to slap his fugly ass around and not pay for unlubricated anal afterwards

So, we've completely abandoned any real conversation in this thread?

RBP
11-10-2011, 11:29 PM
So, we've completely abandoned any real conversation in this thread?

You haven't expressed your opinion yet...

Muddy
11-10-2011, 11:29 PM
I like when Joey makes me cry.

JoeyB
11-10-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm with you completely Hal...but I suspect this thread is going to fill up with pro child violence comments.

You haven't expressed your opinion yet...

Post #3 shown above.

Or was I supposed to comment on this? Fine, anal without lubrication is bad, corpses cannot heal you know.

I like when Joey makes me cry.

That's why I always sing you the sad songs.