PDA

View Full Version : Richmond, CA Mayor to skip Veterans Day events to attend Occupy rally

Teh One Who Knocks
11-11-2011, 10:03 PM
By Hannah Dreier - Contra Costa Times

Richmond Mayor Gayle McLaughlin will skip a Veterans Day memorial to attend an Occupy rally, a decision that is drawing criticism.

Chevron and the Richmond Museum Association are sponsoring a Veterans Day salute Friday featuring a re-enactment of the launch of a World War II-era ship at the Richmond shipyards.

McLaughlin noted that the city is not sponsoring the event, and said that the Occupy rally will honor Scott Olsen, the Iraq War veteran injured while protesting with Occupy Oakland.

"I choose to honor our veterans, not only on Veteran's Day, but daily, by supporting an end to military warfare to prevent further fighting and dying in needless wars," McLaughlin wrote in an email. "I am a strong supporter of Veterans for Peace and Iraq Vets Against the War."

The Occupy rally, which organizers are calling a "speak out," is scheduled for 11 a.m. That is the same time as the Veterans Day events, which are always held at the eleventh hour on the 11th day of November to commemorate the end of World War I.

Jeff Rubin, who organizes Pinole's Veterans Day memorial, denounced McLaughlin's choice and criticized an email blast she sent over the weekend urging residents to attend the rally with her.

"She has very little respect for the country and traditions," Rubin said. "Everything with her is political. I think the day was picked on purpose."

McLaughlin did not call the rally and does not know why organizers chose the
date. Rubin notes that she is closely associated with the Richmond Progressive Alliance, which organized the event with a coalition of local activists.

"As mayor, she has a responsibility to everyone in our community," Rubin said. "Not only the disenfranchised and the unemployed, but to the veterans as well."

Michael Klasno, director of Gold Star Dads of America, said that McLaughlin's actions are a "slap in the face" to veterans and to grieving parents like himself.

"You don't blow off the veterans of the United States for anybody, and you certainly don't blow if off for Occupy Wall Street," he said. "As somebody who's paid the ultimate sacrifice, that to me is beyond the pale."

McLaughlin said exercising freedom is respectful of veterans.

"I think a good way to show respect for our veterans is to put all our energy into promoting the values that veterans fought for and some of them died for."

Other elected leaders such as Councilman Tom Butt and Supervisor John Gioia are promoting the Veterans Day salute.

McLaughlin has participated in the city's two previous Occupy rallies.

Loser
11-11-2011, 10:11 PM
:facepalm:

I've come to the conclusion that this world is completely riddled with hypocrites, and if the vast majority of those hypocrites spontaneously burst into flames tomorrow, aside from the inevitable stench, I wouldn't shed a single fucking tear...

JoeyB
11-11-2011, 11:49 PM
I support this mayor fully. And fuck Chevron and their little veterans day party.

RBP
11-11-2011, 11:59 PM
I support this mayor fully. And fuck Chevron and their little veterans day party.

:-s "their little veterans day party"? Do you see no benefits from the sacrifices our veterans and their families have made?

Hal-9000
11-12-2011, 12:01 AM
""I choose to honor our veterans, not only on Veteran's Day, but daily, by supporting an end to military warfare to prevent further fighting and dying in needless wars,"

That's a noble statement.How about honoring the veterans that have already served? To keep YOU safe...and to give YOU the freedoms that you now enjoy.

I say...ummmm no on this one.

JoeyB
11-12-2011, 12:16 AM
:-s "their little veterans day party"? Do you see no benefits from the sacrifices our veterans and their families have made?

Chevron is promoting themselves. Sorry, my view.

I'm a religious pacifist RBP, I do not in any way celebrate war, and that includes 'honoring' those who engage in it. I know my views anger people and so I do not air them often, and I won't mention them again in this thread.

You can do as you wish. I do not like to feel pressured to thank people when I feel none is due, and true thanks is given without reservation. I will gladly thank any soldier who lays down his arms, renounces war and the military, and vows never to kill again.

I find it disturbing and hypocritical that people insist others observe veterans day. It's not a law that we must do so.

I'm answering only because you asked. I will not address this again because the anger people give me about it is disturbing.

We owe our freedoms to our laws, not our soldiers. To say we enjoy our freedoms only because of them is just a closet way of forcing people to accept war and the military. Soldiers are tools of governments, and have been so throughout history, they only do as they are told. Our governments, good or bad, dictate those actions. Those who join the military do so as a choice.

Thou shall not kill does not come with exceptions, it does not have an asterisk leading to a list of times when one can do so. There is no provision that killing is acceptable when done so while waving as flag. Some people try to use Eye for an eye or other passages as an excuse to do so. But, those are interpretations of passages...thou shall not kill is pretty straight forward. To place your personal interpretation of scripture above the will of God is arrogant and a betrayal of faith. God is telling you...DO NOT KILL...end of discussion.

Like it or not, I will always place God and my faith above war.

RBP
11-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Chevron is promoting themselves. Sorry, my view.

I'm a religious pacifist RBP, I do not in any way celebrate war, and that includes 'honoring' those who engage in it. I know my views anger people and so I do not air them often, and I won't mention them again in this thread.

You can do as you wish. I do not like to feel pressured to thank people when I feel none is due, and true thanks is given without reservation. I will gladly thank any soldier who lays down his arms, renounces war and the military, and vows never to kill again.

I find it disturbing and hypocritical that people insist others observe veterans day. It's not a law that we must do so.

I'm answering only because you asked. I will not address this again because the anger people give me about it is disturbing.

We owe our freedoms to our laws, not our soldiers. To say we enjoy our freedoms only because of them is just a closet way of forcing people to accept war and the military. Soldiers are tools of governments, and have been so throughout history, they only do as they are told. Our governments, good or bad, dictate those actions. Those who join the military do so as a choice.

Thou shall not kill does not come with exceptions, it does not have an asterisk leading to a list of times when one can do so. There is no provision that killing is acceptable when done so while waving as flag. Some people try to use Eye for an eye or other passages as an excuse to do so. But, those are interpretations of passages...thou shall not kill is pretty straight forward. To place your personal interpretation of scripture above the will of God is arrogant and a betrayal of faith. God is telling you...DO NOT KILL...end of discussion.

Like it or not, I will always place God and my faith above war.

Ummm... just... wow. :|

JoeyB
11-12-2011, 12:41 AM

Deal with it, or don't ask me questions in the future.

RBP
11-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Deal with it, or don't ask me questions in the future.

No need to get snitty, there just nothing to say in response to that position.

Goofy
11-12-2011, 11:56 AM

Yeah