PDA

View Full Version : The weirdest pregnancy craving ever: roadkill

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2011, 11:35 AM
The San Francisco Chronicle

http://i.imgur.com/YQEKn.jpg

Pregnant women are known for eating unusual foods: peanut butter and pickle sandwiches, olives on cheesecake, even garden dirt. But a woman living in England is craving something far weirder.

Alison Brierley of Harrogate, North Yorkshire, is in the news for eating roadkill.

The artist and mother-to-be has long been making jewelery from the hides, claws, teeth and bones of dead animals that she finds on the road. She calls herself a “roadkill recycler.”

Brierley occasionally cooked up the animals she found and ate them—why not? She hated seeing the meat go to waste. Brierley even put together a fancy roadkill meal on “Come Dine with Me,” a British culinary competition show where four amateur cooks vie for a cash prize given to the best overall dinner party.

In a blog post about her appearance on the show, Brierley shared her enthusiasm for cooking with roadkill:

I am a wild food forager and love anything free of pesticides and growth hormones. I especially enjoy preparing traffic casualties — proper free range meat that has only had one bad day in its wonderfully organic life!! My passion for being a road kill chef has shocked and delighted many a friend. Lol. I use the fur, feathers, teeth and claws in my art — nothing gets wasted — I use it all!

And then Brierley got pregnant and she developed intense cravings for roadkill meat. She started regularly cooking with run-over hare, deer, squirrels, pigeon, rabbit, owls and partridges. She fried a roadkill pheasant like chicken, and stuffed Japanese Gyoza dumplings with squirrel meat.

“I’m craving junk food which is really unlike me and I am eating a lot more roadkill and red meat in general,” Brierley told the British Daily Mail.

“It’s probably because I need all the natural iron I can get at the moment, what with all these extra red blood cells I am making,” she added. “[Roadkill meat] is more gamey than other meat and I love the taste. I also don’t have to feel guilty about eating it because I know it’s had a completely free range and natural life.”

Brierley wears rubber gloves when she’s handling the bloody carcasses. “I don’t want to risk any infections that could hurt the baby,” she told the Mail.

deebakes
11-12-2011, 05:17 PM
i was expecting this to be a thread about jessica simpson :sad2: