PDA

View Full Version : Good news! Killer solar flare won't destroy Earth!

Teh One Who Knocks
11-13-2011, 11:59 AM
At least not in 2012, according to NASA, which also says to not sweat 'Planet X'
By Mike Wall - Space.com

http://i.imgur.com/H2Oxp.jpg

If the world ends in 2012, the sun won't be to blame, NASA officials say.

Contrary to what some doomsayers would have you believe, our star isn't capable of blasting out a solar flare powerful enough to burn our planet to a crisp, according to the space agency.

"Most importantly, however, there simply isn't enough energy in the sun to send a killer fireball 93 million miles to destroy Earth," NASA officials wrote in a Nov. 10 statement.

The end of the world as we know it?

The Mayans' "long-count" calendar is set to expire on Dec. 21, 2012, marking the end of a 5,126-year epoch. This factoid has inspired some folks to start girding up for the coming apocalypse — and to start predicting what may bring it about.

One popular theory is that a huge solar flare could do the Earth in. Some fearmongers have pointed out that the sun's activity is ramping up, implying that a killer outburst could be coming next year.

The sun is indeed building up toward the peak of its 11-year activity cycle. But that peak is expected to come in 2013 or 2014, not 2012, researchers said. Also, countless solar maxima have come and gone over the years, and we — and the Earth — are still here.

But that reasoning is all secondary to the main point, which is that a flare's sizzling heat cannot make it all the way to our planet, researchers said.

Space weather still an issue

The sun's rumblings can and do affect our planet, of course. Flares, for example, can temporarily alter Earth's upper atmosphere, causing disruptions in satellite communications.

And coronal mass ejections (CMEs) — huge eruptions of solar plasma that streak into space at 3 million mph (5 million kph) or more — can be even more troublesome. CMEs that hit Earth can knock out GPS signals, radio communications and power grids.

A powerful, well-aimed CME could thus wreak serious havoc on our increasingly tech-enabled and tech-dependent society. But it wouldn't destroy the planet or wipe out humanity, researchers said.

No Nibiru, either

The candidates to bring about the end times next year keep dwindling.

http://i.imgur.com/13vUw.jpg
An artist's conception of the rogue planet Nibiru, or Planet X. It's an an artist's conception
because, well, it doesn't really exist, NASA says.

Comet Elenin, which some observers speculated would align with other heavenly bodies and spur massive earthquakes and tsunamis, broke up recently after zipping close to the sun.

The supposed planet Nibiru has also been heralded as an agent of apocalypse. The rogue body, which is thought to be four times the size of Earth, will smash into our planet next year and kill us all, some predict.

The problem with that theory is that Nibiru, also known as Planet X, doesn't exist, experts say.

"There's no evidence whatsoever for Nibiru," Don Yeomans, manager of the Near-Earth Object Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., said in a recent NASA video. "There's no planet Nibiru, there's no Planet X, and nothing is hurtling toward us."

Yeomans isn't planning to make any apocalyptic preparations when December 2012 rolls around.

"I'm not going to lay in any extra supplies — no survival gear," Yeomans said. "I'm just going to lay in an extra supply of egg nog for the coming holiday season."

FBD
11-13-2011, 05:47 PM
If the world ends in 2012, the sun won't be to blame, NASA officials say.

Contrary to what some doomsayers would have you believe, our star isn't capable of blasting out a solar flare powerful enough to burn our planet to a crisp, according to the space agency.

"Most importantly, however, there simply isn't enough energy in the sun to send a killer fireball 93 million miles to destroy Earth," NASA officials wrote in a Nov. 10 statement.

:lol: it wouldnt take "burn to a crisp" force. If the sun let loose an X45 like in 2003 and it was aimed straight at us, it would easily fry satellites and take out GPS, sizzle plenty of grids.

not to mention, we dont need to be directly at peak for such flares.

"enough energy in the sun" :facepalm: :rofl:

deebakes
11-13-2011, 05:47 PM
dammit :sad2:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-13-2011, 06:21 PM
:rip:

MrsM
11-13-2011, 06:35 PM
http://hostingc.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-09/269tumblr_lhd6d72I6T1qc02jeo1_400.jpg

Godfather
11-14-2011, 02:05 AM
:lol: it wouldnt take "burn to a crisp" force. If the sun let loose an X45 like in 2003 and it was aimed straight at us, it would easily fry satellites and take out GPS, sizzle plenty of grids.

Exactly. Anyone want an idea of what an EMP would do to our little world? Read "One Second After." One of the few books that kept me up at night. No communication, no infrastructure, no vehicles, no new medicine. Doomed. If the sun is capable of doing that, it's more than enough to be scared of.

FBD
11-14-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm curious how accurate the simulations are that depict the CME deforming the crap out the the magnetosphere and it snapping and bouncing back into place :dance: The snapback is what takes satellites out.

DemonGeminiX
11-14-2011, 12:43 PM
http://hostingc.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-09/269tumblr_lhd6d72I6T1qc02jeo1_400.jpg

:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 12:47 PM

:-s

Where does the article say a flare big enough to cause a massive EMP or something else isn't feasible? :-k

All it's saying the doomsayers predicting a massive 93 million mile long solar flare that will burn our planet to a crisp are a bunch of numpties.

Godfather
11-14-2011, 06:14 PM
I think his point, like mine, was just that there is plenty to worry about. If NASA says the sun can't throw a fireball this far, I believe it. But we have already seen it disrupt our power grids and satellites just in the last 50 years that we would even notice it. The sun is still one mean mofo and we should fear and respect it :lol:.

Goofy
11-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Exactly. Anyone want an idea of what an EMP would do to our little world? Read "One Second After." One of the few books that kept me up at night. No communication, no infrastructure, no vehicles, no new medicine. Doomed. If the sun is capable of doing that, it's more than enough to be scared of.

My lighter would still work :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 06:20 PM
I think his point, like mine, was just that there is plenty to worry about. If NASA says the sun can't throw a fireball this far, I believe it. But we have already seen it disrupt our power grids and satellites just in the last 50 years that we would even notice it. The sun is still one mean mofo and we should fear and respect it :lol:.

I'm not going to worry about it....unless you build a bunker far underground or build a lead house, there isn't a whole lot you can do to prevent it ;) If this is something people worry about on a daily basis, then they have some serious issues to deal with.

I'm gonna worry about the things that directly affect me and I have some control over :P

Godfather
11-14-2011, 06:22 PM
:lol: I agree... just an interesting topic for lovers of fiction novels and 'what if' daydreams :lol:

MrsM
11-14-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm not going to worry about it....unless you build a bunker far underground or build a lead house, there isn't a whole lot you can do to prevent it ;) If this is something people worry about on a daily basis, then they have some serious issues to deal with.

I'm gonna worry about the things that directly affect me and I have some control over :P

If you live in fear - then the terrorists win... The sun has become the latest terrorist organization :)

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 06:23 PM
If you live in fear - then the terrorists win... The sun has become the latest terrorist organization

:shock:

:hills:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 06:23 PM
:lol: I agree... just an interesting topic for lovers of fiction novels and 'what if' daydreams :lol:

I'm just giving you a hard time :razz:

Hal-9000
11-14-2011, 06:49 PM
I think there was a flare measured about 13 million miles from the surface of the sun....

I'm with FBD and the others.No, we wouldn't get fried to a crisp but an EMP could decimate this planet in a heartbeart.

FBD
11-15-2011, 02:54 AM
:lol: decimate is a little harsh, consider the implication of the word...severely inconvenient, yup, but move our population a decimal place? I dont think so.

Godfather
11-15-2011, 03:00 AM
:lol: decimate is a little harsh, consider the implication of the word...severely inconvenient, yup, but move our population a decimal place? I dont think so.

Are you kidding? Hundreds of thousands of people who require dialysis, have pacemakers, or require any other critical daily treatment will die in hours or days. Doctors and nurses will abandon those in assisted living facilities to protect their own families, leaving them to die in their own filth. Tens of thousands of people airborne when it hits will die when their planes drop from the sky. With an EMP vehicles will stop, facilities of every kind will halt. Anyone who needs constant drugs - the diabetic for instance - will die when their medication runs out in weeks. Minor wounds become life threatening when not treated with modern medicine and antibiotics. Do you realize 5% of the population currently has severe psychological disorders? What will we do with them without their daily medication?

Food will rot in shipping plants, millions of livestock will go uneaten as the distribution system that keeps this fragile little planet going will cease to exist. Tainted food will kill us with salmonella of all sorts. Most in the western world would starve without food being brought into urban centers. Fires will burn unchecked, we'll kill ourselves from carbon-monoxide poisoning with jury-rigged cooking fires indoors.

Again... read "One Second After." It will take you a couple hours, but it gives some pretty disturbing images of what happens after an EMP, written by an expert on the subject.

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 03:25 AM

If we lose all electronics...cars, every computer, every appliance that runs on a chip...besides the immediate financial collapse and ensuing panic because folks can't access money or pay for food,
I don't know FBD...it's Lord of the Flies time and we as a population are too damn lazy to survive it properly :lol: Let's just call it my opinion and hope it never materializes that way.

Although it would be an interesting discussion to envision what would happen after a massive EMP...

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 03:29 AM
Yet another reason to be heavily armed :spy:

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Yet another reason to be heavily armed :spy:

You know that I rarely agree with you...but if my scenario (or a Walking Dead scenario) ever plays out, Imma be over to your place for dinner the first night
and target practice will commence at first light :thumbsup:

Godfather
11-15-2011, 07:11 AM
If we lose all electronics...cars, every computer, every appliance that runs on a chip...besides the immediate financial collapse and ensuing panic because folks can't access money or pay for food,
I don't know FBD...it's Lord of the Flies time and we as a population are too damn lazy to survive it properly :lol: Let's just call it my opinion and hope it never materializes that way.

Although it would be an interesting discussion to envision what would happen after a massive EMP...

It's more than an opinion my friend... studies of asymmetric warfare by the US DoD have made it pretty clear that a greater threat than a city being nuked is a high-altitude detonation of a nuclear device. Only 3-4 could take out the entire continent. And we are simply not prepared for that in any capacity.

It would take years to recover, assuming enough survive the sicknesses and plagues and hunger and war that will return us to the dark ages.