PDA

View Full Version : Judge: Norway terror suspect is not insane

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 05:23 PM
From Per Nyberg, CNN

http://i.imgur.com/UiyBL.jpg

(CNN) -- There is no reason to believe that Norway mass murder suspect Anders Behring Breivik is insane, District Court Judge Torkjel Nesheim said Monday.

There is also no evidence he had accomplices in the bomb and gun rampage in which he is accused of killing 77 people this summer, the judge said.

The judge ordered him held in custody for a further 12 weeks, with visits and correspondence controlled by the authorities for the first eight, and a ban on media for the first four.

More than 500 people packed into a court in Oslo, Norway, to see the suspect's first public appearance, said Irene Ramm, head of press for the Oslo court.

A woman whose daughter was killed in the massacre said she could not understand "how a human being could do something like that."

"That's why I had to be here today. I don't understand, so I had to see, had to be here," said the woman, who was identified only as "Carina" on Norway's TV2. "He looked cold, completely cold," she said.

He was not allowed to deliver a speech he had prepared, the station reported.

Breivik said he did not recognize the authority of the court on the grounds that he opposes the multi-cultural society it is part of, TV2 said.

He was stopped on several occasions when he started referring to himself as Commander of the Knights Templar, a title he used in his 1,500-page manifesto, the station reported.

"I interrupted Breivik during today's hearing because I only wanted to hear him about matters relating to today's hearing," Judge Nesheim said. "This was not the main trial where he gets to explain himself. I did not want to give him the opportunity to use this hearing as a platform for him to express his views."

Until now, the proceedings for Breivik have been held behind closed doors.

The hearing was to determine whether to keep Breivik in jail until his trial in the spring. Prosecutors expect it to begin in March or April, the judge said.

He is accused of killing dozens of people in a bomb attack in Oslo followed by a shooting rampage on nearby Utoya island. Eight people were killed in a bombing in Oslo; 69 young people were killed on Utoya island, in the deadliest attack in Norway since World War II.

The young people were attending a Labour Party youth camp. Most of the 700 campers ranged in age from 16-22, with some as young as 13.

Breivik has pleaded not guilty but admits carrying out the attacks, the judge said.

"The accused is still suspected on probable cause of criminal acts, as described in the charges. He has admitted the bombing in central Oslo and also the shooting on Utoya. The investigation has also confirmed this," Nesheim said.

He is described by authorities as a right-wing Christian extremist. The 1,500-page manifesto attributed to Breivik was posted on the Internet and is critical of Muslim immigration and European liberalism.

Hal-9000
11-14-2011, 05:46 PM
excellent, prosecute him in normal court and give him the ice-chair or whatever the Norway death penalty is :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 06:01 PM
excellent, prosecute him in normal court and give him the ice-chair or whatever the Norway death penalty is :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, no capital punishment in Norway....these are the countries that have the death penalty:

Afghanistan
Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belize
Botswana
Chad
China (People's Republic)
Comoros
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Cuba
Dominica
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Ethiopia
Guinea
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Lesotho
Libya
Malaysia
Mongolia
Nigeria
North Korea
Oman
Pakistan
Palestinian Authority
Qatar
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Saudi Arabia
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Somalia
Sudan
Syria
Taiwan
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam
Yemen
Zimbabwe

Hal-9000
11-14-2011, 06:43 PM
So they get to cater to this guy in prison for the next 25 years or so?

:sad2:

Godfather
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Someone will shank him in the joint I hope...

Jezter
11-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Better to have him rot in the jail forever than give the "easy way out" and kill him. That way he can pay for what he did a longer time.

minz
11-14-2011, 07:42 PM
I agree with Jez.

Hal-9000
11-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Better to have him rot in the jail forever than give the "easy way out" and kill him. That way he can pay for what he did a longer time.

:slap:

costs too much money for food, clothing, heat, roof over head, magazines, air.........

Hal-9000
11-14-2011, 07:43 PM
I agree with Jez.

chicks always stick together

Jezter
11-14-2011, 07:44 PM

costs too much money for food, clothing, heat, roof over head, magazines, air.........

Meh..not like he will ever be able to actually enjoy those things like we normal people can. I just don't believe in death penalty. That is all. :)

minz
11-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Again, I'm with Jez :lol:

Jezter
11-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Again, I'm with Jez :lol:
:hug:

Hal-9000
11-14-2011, 07:52 PM
oh ffs go put some hair powder in each other's hair :x

these animals don't deserve 3 free meals a day and a roof over their heads...I have to pay for that sort of thing, he'll never worry about it again....

maybe when one of these monsters kills someone close to you, your tune will change..

minz
11-14-2011, 07:54 PM

these animals don't deserve 3 free meals a day and a roof over their heads...I have to pay for that sort of thing, he'll never worry about it again....

maybe when one of these monsters kills someone close to you, your tune will change..

My tune wont change, I just dont agree with the death penalty, besides, he will suffer in prison, the other inmates will make sure of that, why should he be given a way out of that.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 07:54 PM

^^ This

Meh..not like he will ever be able to actually enjoy those things like we normal people can. I just don't believe in death penalty. That is all. :)

I have no problem with peeps that are philosophically opposed to capital punishment, but there are a rare few that deserve death and not in the painless way like lethal injection. People like this person deserve to be tortured and suffer a very slow and painful death.

Although he may never see freedom again, keeping this guy alive at the expense of the citizens would be a huge travesty to me. Why should he be allowed to live while all those children were needlessly slaughtered?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 07:55 PM
My tune wont change, I just dont agree with the death penalty, besides, he will suffer in prison, the other inmates will make sure of that, why should he be given a way out of that.

Doubtful...prisoners like this are always kept separate from the general population.

Hal-9000
11-14-2011, 07:58 PM

I'm going to send you a book by John Douglas

Jezter
11-14-2011, 07:59 PM

They don't have to pay, but they also don't have a life. They are alive, but they don't have a life really. They will suffer.

Im with Minz here.

Doubtful...prisoners like this are always kept separate from the general population.

And that is why he will suffer even more, cuz he will be even more lonely and separated. He'll rot away hated, alone, suffering for the rest of his life for what he did.

MrsM
11-14-2011, 08:41 PM
I agree with Jez and Minz here - to me knowing that I will live the next 50 odd yrs in jail would be worse than getting an injection and drifting to sleep.

Also looking at the list of who still uses the death penalty... only Japan and the US really stand out for me as the rest are what I would consider less advanced countries.

JoeyB
11-14-2011, 09:02 PM

That is what I always say. Life in prison is the far worse punishment.

Good for you Jez. You know I'm against it as well.

Although he may never see freedom again, keeping this guy alive at the expense of the citizens would be a huge travesty to me.

Well gentlemen, I now officially welcome you to my side...the anti death penalty group. Since economics are your main concern here (which, just saying, seems really wrong somehow), but since money is your primary motivating factor, you will need to help push an end to the death penalty.

As I assumed most people knew, depending on the state involved, it costs anywhere from six to ten times as much to execute a man than it does to keep him alive for life in prison.

One of the reasons California did away with the death penalty was that it could NO LONGER AFFORD IT.

Your death penalty is a massive waste of taxpayer money.

I agree with Jez and Minz here - to me knowing that I will live the next 50 odd yrs in jail would be worse than getting an injection and drifting to sleep.

Also looking at the list of who still uses the death penalty... only Japan and the US really stand out for me as the rest are what I would consider less advanced countries.

Yes, it is a barbaric practice.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Well gentlemen, I now officially welcome you to my side...the anti death penalty group. Since economics are your main concern here (which, just saying, seems really wrong somehow), but since money is your primary motivating factor, you will need to help push an end to the death penalty.

As I assumed most people knew, depending on the state involved, it costs anywhere from six to ten times as much to execute a man than it does to keep him alive for life in prison.

One of the reasons California did away with the death penalty was that it could NO LONGER AFFORD IT.

Your death penalty is a massive waste of taxpayer money.

I will never be anti-capital punishment....it's only a massive waste of money on the state side. When the Federal government executes people, it is done quickly and inexpensively. It's the problem of the states, not capital punishment itself. Trust me, if I was in charge, it would be a very inexpensive option to deal with the worst of the worst ;)

Hal-9000
11-14-2011, 09:58 PM
addressing the blue post above...

A person takes 3 people's lives or more for a thrill kill or worse, and fully admits to his crimes."Just saying" to use a stupid, idiotic and redundant turn of words in general (because obviously, the text will be written)....economics is not the main concern here.On that subject though do you know who ultimately pays for a serial killer's room and board? You do.And every other taxpayer that lives on the planet.

So let's recap using this waste of skin in the story as an example.He kills a handful of people for fun, cripples others emotionally for life and then WE get to pay for his meals, his bed, his linen, his heat, the roof over his head, his clothing, cleaning that clothing.On top of the that, we get to pay for every prison employee's salaries.If he's in his twenties, we do this for upwards of 60 years.One person...

Not done yet.There must be a trial and as you know the price of all things legal, lawyers, judges and court time are valuable.Does he pay for that? Not to mention the years of subsequent appeals as well.And then it gets better.Depending on the prison, he will get regular exercise, cable TV and he will get 'paid' for work done in prison programs.Some prisons have ping pong and pool tables, while others have Xbox and PS3 games.Some even have computers hooked to the internet and his net time is free, albeit limited.

So you actually feel that this is PUNISHMENT? Some people struggle to have 3 square meals a day and half of what I have listed above.Some people die due to the daily stress of trying to provide the above for themselves in the outside world.Why should this person get the right to breathe air, when he's removed that right from others? We set down basic rules for living and these monsters ignore those basic rights and repeat given the chance.

I would please like to see how it costs 6 to 10 times more to execute someone versus keeping them alive in prison for 60 years.That's something I've never heard before.

JoeyB
11-14-2011, 10:00 PM
I would please like to see how it costs 6 to 10 times more to execute someone versus keeping them alive in prison for 60 years.That's something I've never heard before.

If you doubt me, look it up online dude. But it is true.

Hal-9000
11-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I used to believe that we didn't have the right to kill people.Then I read one book by a guy who profiled serial killers for the FBI.In the closing chapters his gist is : Some people are monsters.They can never be rehabilitated or find remorse within themselves for their heinous actions.They enjoy killing people.For this type of person prison is waste for all concerned.

(keep in mind he's talking about the people that freely admit and revel in their crimes, not people proclaiming innocence)

After 600 pages or so of a book he changed my mind on the subject.The logic is there..

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 10:09 PM

It's obfuscation used by the anti-death penalty groups. It's not the sentence that cause the cost to be high, it's the fact that they allow these people to appeal their cases ad infinitum. It's the court costs that make it look like capital cases cost more, not the actual prison costs.

And like I said, the Feds (in the US) don't put up with that BS...if you are up for a Federal capital crime, it is far less expensive to execute them than it is to imprison them for life.

minz
11-14-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm going to send you a book by John Douglas

You dont have my address. :)

JoeyB
11-14-2011, 11:20 PM
I used to believe that we didn't have the right to kill people.Then I read one book by a guy who profiled serial killers for the FBI.In the closing chapters his gist is : Some people are monsters.They can never be rehabilitated or find remorse within themselves for their heinous actions.They enjoy killing people.For this type of person prison is waste for all concerned.

(keep in mind he's talking about the people that freely admit and revel in their crimes, not people proclaiming innocence)

After 600 pages or so of a book he changed my mind on the subject.The logic is there..

Hal, I am deeply of the notion that sociopaths exist and cannot be cured. I accept this without question. Clearly, those people have no conscience and need to be placed into custody. But while they have no conscience and cannot be trusted, society at large should.

Just because evil exists, doesn't mean we need to be evil in return. In fact, I would argue it is a show of our moral strength that we respond to evil and cruelty not with same, but with reason and caution.

It's obfuscation used by the anti-death penalty groups. It's not the sentence that cause the cost to be high, it's the fact that they allow these people to appeal their cases ad infinitum. It's the court costs that make it look like capital cases cost more, not the actual prison costs.

And like I said, the Feds (in the US) don't put up with that BS...if you are up for a Federal capital crime, it is far less expensive to execute them than it is to imprison them for life.

It's NOT obfuscation. People have a legal right to recourse. And given how often innocent people are killed by the state, it's clear we aren't even doing enough as it is.

minz
11-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Hal, I am deeply of the notion that sociopaths exist and cannot be cured. I accept this without question. Clearly, those people have no conscience and need to be placed into custody. But while they have no conscience and cannot be trusted, society at large should.

Just because evil exists, doesn't mean we need to be evil in return. In fact, I would argue it is a show of our moral strength that we respond to evil and cruelty not with same, but with reason and caution.

^What he said :tup:

Jezter
11-15-2011, 08:36 AM

It's NOT obfuscation. People have a legal right to recourse. And given how often innocent people are killed by the state, it's clear we aren't even doing enough as it is.
Good post, Joey. :tup:

JoeyB
11-15-2011, 10:03 PM
^What he said :tup:

Good post, Joey. :tup:

Thanks!

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't agree with that at all Joe.You're equating the actions of someone randomly selecting innocent people and killing them, possibly torturing them in their last hours, with that same person being put on trial in a controlled environment and being found guilty of committing heinous crimes against humanity and then punished.

One is evil (former) and one is an action committed in a far more humane method than the perpetrator afforded his victims (latter).I honestly am astounded that you would compare the two and use the word evil for both.Bear in mind that my post was directed at the people that freely admit their crimes or revel in their own actions.

Again we return to - why should they be placed in custody? I wrote a rather long post outlining what the prisoner gets in jail for 60 years and what we have to pay for over the course of decades, to which you responded - Just google it hal...You've bypassed the key issue in my previous post.

If a person rapes, tortures, eviscerates, kills a group of innocents, why should we as a society support him and pay his room and board for the rest of his life? He's already admitted to being the monster.You honestly feel that society should pay for his mistakes? And before one of your groupies chimes in and says - Prison is tough, that's punishment enough - Please keep in mind I've covered that in the previous post.For some people, prison is easier than having to work for the same things.The only freedom he loses is the opportunity to hunt and kill more innocent people outside the confines of prison.

No, there is one type of evil and then another.I feel that you're confused about what the difference is.

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Am I going to have to wait another 24 hours for a response? :|

I can't manage that long time frame!! C'mon man, put your thinking cap on and post.I'm at work ffs, step it up :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Easy way to solve it Hal...all the anti-death penalty people can take the convicted killers into their homes and take care of them. That way those wastes of humanity won't be a burden on tax payers like you and me. :tup:

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 10:43 PM
When I found out how prisons and courts were funded, I just about killed someone randomly on my block :x

ok, not the best choice of words but you get my gist :oops:

You only need to read one story about detectives finding those butcher shop crime scenes and only one statement by a guy like Robert Pickton up here in Canada, to realize that they don't deserve to be cared for in any type of institution.They don't respect life, why should we respect theirs?

minz
11-15-2011, 10:51 PM
I guess it all comes down to what you are used to, we haven’t had the death penalty here since before I was born and that’s a loooooong time :lol: You guys see it as part of your way of life so I suppose it doesn’t really have the same kind of effect as it does here, personally I don’t see an awful lot of difference between the perpetrator and the state when it comes to the taking of a life, I see it as a barbaric act not much better than that of the person being punished, the taking of a human life is exactly that regardless of who does it.

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 11:26 PM
I guess it all comes down to what you are used to, we haven’t had the death penalty here since before I was born and that’s a loooooong time :lol: You guys see it as part of your way of life so I suppose it doesn’t really have the same kind of effect as it does here, personally I don’t see an awful lot of difference between the perpetrator and the state when it comes to the taking of a life, I see it as a barbaric act not much better than that of the person being punished, the taking of a human life is exactly that regardless of who does it.

I was like you a few years ago.Couldn't see how we could kill another human being in the name of justice.There is a small percentage of criminals though who deserve it, and I can clearly see it now.

I would never want to see a person get capital punishment for a crime that didn't have clear cut evidence or was predicated on dodgy lab work.Enter the thread content above :lol: This guy is part of the monster squad and we need to send a strong message to this type of people that no, you won't get away with your twisted little desire and no, you won't get a cushy life after exorcising your demons using other people as victims.

If I had my way, capital punishment would be a gruesome, long acting event and it would be televised.If that televised gruesome execution stopped even one of these potential fuckwads from following through on his fetish to murder, then it's done the job.

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 11:28 PM
btw Minz darling, I'm in Canada.The death penalty has never been a part of my life :lol:

JoeyB
11-15-2011, 11:33 PM
I don't agree with that at all Joe.You're equating the actions of someone randomly selecting innocent people and killing them, possibly torturing them in their last hours, with that same person being put on trial in a controlled environment and being found guilty of committing heinous crimes against humanity and then punished.

One is evil (former) and one is an action committed in a far more humane method than the perpetrator afforded his victims (latter).I honestly am astounded that you would compare the two and use the word evil for both.Bear in mind that my post was directed at the people that freely admit their crimes or revel in their own actions.

Again we return to - why should they be placed in custody? I wrote a rather long post outlining what the prisoner gets in jail for 60 years and what we have to pay for over the course of decades, to which you responded - Just google it hal...You've bypassed the key issue in my previous post.

If a person rapes, tortures, eviscerates, kills a group of innocents, why should we as a society support him and pay his room and board for the rest of his life? He's already admitted to being the monster.You honestly feel that society should pay for his mistakes? And before one of your groupies chimes in and says - Prison is tough, that's punishment enough - Please keep in mind I've covered that in the previous post.For some people, prison is easier than having to work for the same things.The only freedom he loses is the opportunity to hunt and kill more innocent people outside the confines of prison.

No, there is one type of evil and then another.I feel that you're confused about what the difference is.

Am I going to have to wait another 24 hours for a response? :|

I can't manage that long time frame!! C'mon man, put your thinking cap on and post.I'm at work ffs, step it up :lol:

Well Hal obviously you don't agree with me, otherwise we wouldn't be debating this.

You and I also have vastly different views of how prison is. You see it as free and high living. What can I say to change your mind? I'd invite you to come visit Stateville, or one of our other maximum security jails before you decide how comfy they are.

I'm just going to flatly state that I found something slightly offensive in your earlier post, when you stated you had never heard the death penalty was more expensive than life in prison. It was almost as if you were calling me a liar. I'm not saying you were, but it felt like that, hence, I replied that if you doubted me, you should look it up for yourself. After all, if you do doubt me, what point would there be in my giving you more information you would doubt.

I will say, have you ever known me to be dishonest or to post without integrity?

"You honestly feel that society should pay for his mistakes?"

I don't view it as society paying for someone's mistakes. Hal...I see it as society being a noble institution that treats everyone with humanity and reason...REGARDLESS OF THE MERITS OF THE INDIVIDUAL INVOLVED. That is the true measure of morality...not that you do right only for those who deserve it, but that you do right always. To limit morality to only those we find worthwhile of receiving it only guarantees that eventually we will start to become very mercenary in our compassion, and very narrow in our wisdom. Choosing who deserves the fairness of society is that awful first step towards a lynch mob mentality.

It is a Christian concept...do right. Not because you will be rewarded. Not because it will cut your taxes. Not because it will be to your benefit. And not because someone does or does not appear to deserve it. No...do right because that is the Godly way to be. Do right because you can. Do right because you chose to live life altruistically.

When faced with anger and hate, the best recourse is love and compassion. Otherwise, you become the hate. You lower yourself.

These weren't the answers you wanted...but they are the right ones. I say that because we can argue statistics all day and neither of us can agree. But perhaps...just perhaps, we might meet somewhere over Christian ethics.

And sorry for the delay...I did respond to this as soon as I noticed.

Easy way to solve it Hal...all the anti-death penalty people can take the convicted killers into their homes and take care of them. That way those wastes of humanity won't be a burden on tax payers like you and me. :tup:

Lance, all you ever do is talk about taxes and the burden to taxpayers. I find it difficult to even talk to you because it's abhorrent, in my view, to base morality on cash flow. Decisions should be made on moral, intellectual, and ethical terms first. The financial part is what is sorted out after the proper decision has been made. Not before. First you decide to buy a house, then you decide how much you can spend on one.

They don't respect life, why should we respect theirs?

Because we don't limit our respect to those who deserve it, nor do we allow ourselves to sell out our ethics just because someone else has.

I am American, and was raised pro death penalty. It was really in my twenties when I realized all the flaws inherent in the system and changed my mind.

I can tell you that for many Americans, death is seen as justice. They turn a blind eye to all those executed who were later found to be innocent, of course.

I found your statement very wise Minz.

minz
11-15-2011, 11:38 PM
I was like you a few years ago.Couldn't see how we could kill another human being in the name of justice.There is a small percentage of criminals though who deserve it, and I can clearly see it now.

I would never want to see a person get capital punishment for a crime that didn't have clear cut evidence or was predicated on dodgy lab work.Enter the thread content above :lol: This guy is part of the monster squad and we need to send a strong message to this type of people that no, you won't get away with your twisted little desire and no, you won't get a cushy life after exorcising your demons using other people as victims.

If I had my way, capital punishment would be a gruesome, long acting event and it would be televised.If that televised gruesome execution stopped even one of these potential fuckwads from following through on his fetish to murder, then it's done the job.

Your talking to someone who can’t even bare to see a spider squished, I make the munchkins catch them and release them outside, unharmed. :lol: The death penalty is just one of those things that I just can’t get my head around and probably never will.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Lance, all you ever do is talk about taxes and the burden to taxpayers. I find it difficult to even talk to you because it's abhorrent, in my view, to base morality on cash flow. Decisions should be made on moral, intellectual, and ethical terms first. The financial part is what is sorted out after the proper decision has been made. Not before. First you decide to buy a house, then you decide how much you can spend on one.

And I find it completely useless talking to you because you look down upon and are very condescending to anyone who doesn't subscribe to your view of morality. So we're even :)

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Your talking to someone who can’t even bare to see a spider squished, I make the munchkins catch them and release them outside, unharmed. :lol: The death penalty is just one of those things that I just can’t get my head around and probably never will.

I only squish the little spiders...the big ones get all gooey and disgusting on the bottom of your shoe :puke:

minz
11-15-2011, 11:41 PM
I only squish the little spiders...the big ones get all gooey and disgusting on the bottom of your shoe :puke:

:sad: I do hope your joking :(

JoeyB
11-15-2011, 11:45 PM
And I find it completely useless talking to you because you look down upon and are very condescending to anyone who doesn't subscribe to your view of morality. So we're even :)

You always think I am condescending, when often my reactions are more of shock, such as when you were gleeful over the Iraqi dead. I still find it hard to believe someone could feel that way. I expected more of you Lance, based on our past interactions and the opinion I held of you. If feeling you were a better person and someone with a solid sense of morality is looking down on you, so be it.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 11:46 PM
:sad: I do hope your joking :(

I never joke about spiders as they are evil :nono:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 11:46 PM
You always think I am condescending, when often my reactions are more of shock, such as when you were gleeful over the Iraqi dead. I still find it hard to believe someone could feel that way. I expected more of you Lance, based on our past interactions and the opinion I held of you. If feeling you were a better person and someone with a solid sense of morality is looking down on you, so be it.

And you prove my point for me, thanks :)

Hal-9000
11-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Joseph you're there!

To summarize - I work with 2 people right now who have less than what people in prison have daily.I also have worked with scores of temp workers who have had less.I was over at one guy's place.He lived above The Cecile Hotel here in Calgary.A complete dive that's situated close to our Drop In center and Mustard Seed, a place that gives food hand outs to homeless folk.Point is, these guys are trying to work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and they do not eat every day.They do not have clean clothes and they do not have heat at times.They certainly do not have TV's and Xboxes.Not saying all prisons do, but I read the papers and watch television.I'm aware that prison life can be rough, we had another full time employee who preached at Spy Hill every week, a major long term institution in our neck of the woods.I went up with him one Thursday night and never went back.That's a story for another time..

Regarding my question?

This was my question verbatim " I would please like to see how it costs 6 to 10 times more to execute someone versus keeping them alive in prison for 60 years.That's something I've never heard before. "

I can't think of a more vanilla way to ask that question.I could have said 'BULLSHIT, prove it', but it wasn't there.You keep taking posts and addressing some fictitious portions that are just not there, rather than answer the question posed.This has little to do with your integrity.The aspect about cost I had truly never heard of before but let's dig deeper into that for a moment.

Let's imagine that 60 years room and board + prison employees wage/overhead and court costs amounts to 500, 000 dollars.For one person.
Let's also imagine that one ride on the electric chair or one lethal injection costs 500, 000 dollars.

It doesn't really matter to me...

Sure the taxes and the support funds (let's call them) do matter as I brought them up.But that's not the overall thrust of the statement I need you to hear.The real question is - Do some people deserve that life after what they did? We can pontificate and argue about economics for weeks, but that does not change the hard question - Do they deserve to live?

I know you're a God fearing soul and that weighs into your view.Perhaps something like - That judgement is best reserved for a higher power, not us men here on Earth.I happen to disagree.I read a statement of a victim's family after they found their teenage daughter in pieces, arranged in her room.Both parents and siblings were weekly church goers.The sentence was 25 to life (ha ha, ironic in itself) and all members of the family agreed after the sentencing, that the killer should have his life sacrificed.

I guess the truest test is if something that horrible happens to a family member of yours.Could you sit at the sentencing and understand that the killer may get out of prison in 20 years? Or could you sleep at night knowing that one of our tribe broke the most sacred rule for his jollies and nothing more? Your ____(insert family member there) died because he wanted to make a necklace out of their bowels and he actually laughed about it when interviewed? Could you sleep at night knowing that piece of shit is getting meals served to him and a warm bed to sleep in, every single day?

I'm really not sure on the cost of one lethal injection...my gut says it's way cheaper than supporting a convict in prison for life.I'll have a peek and find out the poop.

minz
11-16-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm really not sure on the cost of one lethal injection...my gut says it's way cheaper than supporting a convict in prison for life.I'll have a peek and find out the poop.

I remember reading this somewhere, it’s the cost of all the appeals and admin that push the bill right up along with the fact that they have to stay on death row for a certain length of time, I may be wrong but that’s how I perceived it.

JoeyB
11-16-2011, 12:20 AM
I remember reading this somewhere, it’s the cost of all the appeals and admin that push the bill right up along with the fact that they have to stay on death row for a certain length of time, I may be wrong but that’s how I perceived it.

Yes, again, it's six to ten times cheaper to just lock them up for life.

Hal-9000
11-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Then we should multi-taser them on the spot, right after they get arrested :lol: