PDA

View Full Version : PETA Attacks Mario For Wearing Tanooki Fur

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 12:06 AM
David M. Ewalt, Forbes Staff

http://i.imgur.com/VnvKU.jpg

Beloved videogame star Mario is back in action this week following the November 13 release of Super Mario 3D Land. Now animal rights group PETA is attacking the hero plumber for wearing “fur” –the Tanooki Suit, a frequent power-up in Mario games that grants the ability to fly.

In a press release, PETA says:

Tanooki may be just a “suit” in Mario games, but by wearing the skin of an animal, Mario is sending the message that it’s OK to wear fur. We created our game to help inform people that in real life, Mario would be wearing the skin of an animal who was beaten, strangled or electrocuted, and it wouldn’t give him any special powers other than the power of self-deception.

“Tanukis are real-life raccoon dogs who are beaten and, as PETA’s undercover exposés show, often skinned alive for their fur,” says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. “This winter, everyone can give raccoon dogs and other fabulous animals a 1-UP by keeping our wardrobes fur-free.”

As part of the campaign, PETA has also created an over the top side-scrolling web-based video game called “Super Tanooki Skin 2D.” It features a skinless tanooki chasing after Mario, who is attempting to fly away while wearing the animal’s blood-drenched pelt. It is, unsurprisingly, not a good game.

Of course, Mario’s Tanooki Suit is just that –a suit, a costume, not actually a skinned animal. And of course, PETA is just attempting to grab some publicity on the back of a major video game release, which is why I’m not linking to their game.

I have asked Nintendo for comment and will update if they have a response.

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 12:09 AM
:facepalm:

How do they know that Mario isn't wearing faux-fur?

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2011, 12:28 AM
:roll: what a joke....i should repost this

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Do what I do...any time PETA says anything at all, I make sure to have extra meat of some kind. Tonite I had shrimp, pork, and chicken :tup:

:yumyum:

Southern Belle
11-15-2011, 01:02 AM
ffs....

DemonGeminiX
11-15-2011, 01:53 AM
I'm gonna have my neighbors slaughter some deer. I'm gonna go to a PETA rally with the carcass draped over my shoulders.

:thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 01:59 AM
That's the spirit! :cheerlead:

deebakes
11-15-2011, 03:48 AM
:suicide:

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 03:52 AM
this whole thread is fulla win :lol:

I'm going to ride a live pig to the next PETA rally and then feed him cooked bacon to the horror of the onlookers :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 04:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/RmlDV.jpg

:homer:

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 04:11 AM
:shock:

Some that meat has gone bad Lance!!

:doh: oh, that's green vegetables....my bad

Jezter
11-15-2011, 08:40 AM
http://i.imgur.com/RmlDV.jpg

:homer:

This is heaven! *droooool:

Also, it is friggin' game! Pixel-fur! It is not sending any other message to kids than that Mario rules and gaming is fun! FFS PETA! Suck my meaty balls!

MrsM
11-15-2011, 01:54 PM
PETA has taken this too far and as such has lost any credibility as a serious organization

deebakes
11-16-2011, 02:53 AM
i'm guessing they must also be against angry birds because that stimulates shooting at pigs with birds from your slingshot :roll:

Oofty Goofty
11-16-2011, 04:48 AM
Next, they'll be attacking "Star Wars" for actors wearing Wookiee fur.

Godfather
11-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Also, it is friggin' game! Pixel-fur!

:lol: Exactly... I'm pretty sure I've killed a small city's worth of young men on Battlefield 3 this week. PETA doesn't seem to care :-k It's as if they're *gasp* idiots?