PDA

View Full Version : Missiles to protect London 2012 Olympics

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 01:00 PM
By the CNN Staff

http://i.imgur.com/SUeBf.jpg

(CNN) -- Ground-to-air missiles at the 2012 Olympic Games? It's not a new sport added to the London line-up, but proof that Britain's government is taking security seriously.

Defense secretary Phillip Hammond has confirmed that such weapons will be at the disposal of those tasked with ensuring public safety at the UK capital's summer showpiece.

He told parliament that a full range of options would be available for protecting the Games, which kick off on July 27.

Hammond was asked by his predecessor, Liam Fox, to confirm if a "full range of multilayered defense and deterrents" would be on hand, including surface-to-air missiles.

"I can assure him that all necessary measures to ensure the security and safety of the London Olympic Games will be taken including -- if the advice of the military is that it is required -- appropriate ground-to-air defenses," Hammond replied.

Earlier on Monday, British newspaper The Guardian had claimed the United States was planning to send 1,000 security personnel, including FBI agents, to the Olympics after developing concerns about arrangements.

The paper said that the UK government is having to field more and more questions on security from its U.S. counterpart, with one source saying of the White House: "They are being very demanding."

It also claimed the London Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games has decided to more than double the amount of security guards protecting the 32 Olympic sites across the country to 21,000 from 10,000.

The Guardian quoted the UK Home Office, responsible for home security, as saying its Olympic planning was "on track" and that the funding was in place.

"The government is committed to delivering a safe and secure Games that London, the UK and the world can enjoy," a spokesman said.

redred
11-15-2011, 01:22 PM
should be fun then:roll:

Joebob034
11-15-2011, 05:24 PM
there's no way this could go wrong right?

Godfather
11-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Security was tight last year here too. JTF2 (our elite counter terrorism unit) on standby to come in, CF/18's never too far away, thousands of cops. But it wasn't really noticeable except when you got patted down before going into an event.

I know Londoners aren't thrilled about 2012, but the Olympics were some of the best days of my life. Two weeks of partying, events, sports, making new friends, patriotism, internationalism. Is that ghey? I dono. But it was amazing.

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 08:23 PM
I hear ya GF but think London is more of an attractive international target.....that damn London Eye is just waiting to be brought down

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2011, 08:28 PM
I hear ya GF but think London is more of an attractive international target.....that damn London Eye is just waiting to be brought down

Exactly...as nice a city as Vancouver might be, I'm pretty sure it's not on a list of high value terrorist targets like London, New York City, Paris, etc...

Hal-9000
11-15-2011, 08:30 PM
They hit the Tube a few years back....I sincerely hope London still isn't on the shit list :(

Noilly Pratt
11-15-2011, 08:31 PM
. I know Londoners aren't thrilled about 2012, but the Olympics were some of the best days of my life. Two weeks of partying, events, sports, making new friends, patriotism, internationalism. Is that ghey? I dono. But it was amazing.

I agree, GF. It was amazing to go down there and be a part of it all. Lets hope it turns out as well for London's Olympics.

Iffy
11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Exactly...as nice a city as Vancouver might be, I'm pretty sure it's not on a list of high value terrorist targets like London, New York City, Paris, etc...

[-( I disagree

:shifty:

Richard Cranium
11-15-2011, 11:59 PM
So, uhm, how effective are these missiles against suicide bombers? :huh:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-16-2011, 12:02 AM
[-( I disagree

:shifty:

*phones Homeland Security*

Very....if they show up in aircraft :tup:

JoeyB
11-16-2011, 12:03 AM

Not very. So, what they need to do is make the missiles nuclear, and that will guarantee to wipe out any terrorist activity.

Actually, these are surface to air missiles...which REALLY makes me wonder about what sorts of threats they have been hearing.

Richard Cranium
11-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Very....if they show up in aircraft :tup:

You just somehow took all the fun out of being a smartass.:mrgreen:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-16-2011, 12:06 AM
You just somehow took all the fun out of being a smartass.:mrgreen:

Sorry :oops:

Leefro
11-16-2011, 12:14 AM
The missile is still slower then Usain Bolt at the 100mtrs

JoeyB
11-16-2011, 12:18 AM

What about Usain Bolt with an anally inserted missile?

Leefro
11-16-2011, 12:20 AM
It would only slow him down

Iffy
11-16-2011, 12:39 AM

What about Usain Bolt with an anally inserted missile?

...on the next Mythbusters

JoeyB
11-16-2011, 12:45 AM

And make him run funny.

I was going to say 'run with an awkward gate'...but, the word 'gate' would invite photo abuse.