PDA

View Full Version : American Atheists Holiday 'Myth' Billboards To Go Up In New Jersey, Ohio, Florida

Teh One Who Knocks
11-16-2011, 11:38 AM
The Huffington Post

American Atheists are planning to put up more holiday "Myth" billboards this year.

Last year, the atheist organization's "Myth" campaign featured billboards with phrases such as: "You Know It's A Myth. This Season, Celebrate Reason," the Christian Post reports.

But this year, the group's planning to erect signs featuring images of Santa, Jesus, Poseidon and the devil next to the message: "37 Million Americans know MYTHS when they see them."

Dave Silverman, president of American Atheists, told Opposing Views that he hopes the group's new signs are "equally thought-provoking and spark plenty of conversations nationally."

But one pastor told the Christian Post the new sign shows "ignorance."

"Only the most dense and simple-minded person would put [Jesus] in the same category as the other three. Clearly, even those who lack a personal commitment to Jesus recognize that there was in fact some historical figure by this name -- religious leader and teacher -- around 2,000 years ago."

The controversial signs are scheduled to go up in Ohio, New Jersey and Florida.

Despite the negative attention the billboards receive, American Atheists Communications Director Blair Scott said the signs aren't meant to offend people, but that he understands why it happens.

"When you question someone's long-held beliefs and doctrine they are going to be immediately offended and be on the defensive: it's a known psychological phenomenon," he told Opposing Views.

Additional signs advertising the American Atheists Regional Convention will be put up in parts of Florida. The convention is set to take place in Fort Lauderdale on Dec. 17 and 18, the Broward Palm Beach New Times reports.

One sign will feature the phrase "2 Million Floridians don't believe in gods," according to the New Times.

But atheists aren't the only group looking make their mark on the holidays.

In what the Washington Post defines as the "war over Christmas," several groups including humanists and Christians have launched their own movements to reclaim the season.

Last year, the American Humanist Association placed signs featuring scripture passages depicting a "violent" God against passages that depict a kind one, the Post points out. While the Liberty Counsel, a Christian group, moved forward with its "Return Christ to Christmas" campaign.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
I hate preachy atheists probably more than I hate the overly preachy religious people :shakehead:

It's Christmas FFS, it's a religious based holiday, get over it already.

Pony
11-16-2011, 11:42 AM
I hate preachy atheists probably more than I hate the overly preachy religious people :shakehead:

+1

Griffin
11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Did you hear about the dyslexic, atheist insomniac?

He stayed up all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Loser
11-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Did you hear about the dyslexic, atheist insomniac?

He stayed up all night wondering if there really was a dog.

:rimshot:

Leefro
11-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I thought christmas was invented by Capitalists ;)

perrhaps
11-16-2011, 02:12 PM
I suppose it's better than personal injury lawyer billboards.

Leefro
11-16-2011, 02:16 PM
I suppose it's better than personal injury lawyer billboards.

I walked past one of those once

I bumped my head on a lampost

Came in handy actually

Muddy
11-16-2011, 02:18 PM
You know... I want to comment.,.. But I feel like I've said it all before...

Teh One Who Knocks
11-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Say it :x

Muddy
11-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Say it :x

*sigh* Ok...

:dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-16-2011, 02:29 PM
*sigh* Ok...

:dance:

:gtfo:

Muddy
11-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Its true though, anti religion people are more brash and irritating than the bible thumpers...

Teh One Who Knocks
11-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Oh I know...for a group of people that supposedly hate preaching, they sure do a lot of it :wha:

Leefro
11-16-2011, 03:04 PM
We don't have Atheists over here

we crucify them you see

Joebob034
11-16-2011, 04:41 PM

if you're atheist fine I don't care, just don't try to push your beliefs on me

Muddy
11-16-2011, 04:47 PM

Hahahaha... exactly... :potkettle:

Deepsepia
11-17-2011, 04:13 PM

vice versa.

Atheists don't have a religious belief, but are subject to non-stop proselytizing by folks who are attached to their preferred magic widget.

As they often point out, for folks who do believe in a god, they almost always reject all gods but their own, so in effect they are atheists for all religions save one. Atheists, in that respect, have the same views as "believers" -- they just disbelieve in one more religion.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-17-2011, 04:17 PM
They are just trying to inform the uninformed and misguided.

Muddy
11-17-2011, 04:21 PM
They are just trying to inform the uninformed and misguided.

Make sure you dont put a tree up this year then, Pagan.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Make sure you dont put a tree up this year then, Pagan.

The tree is a pagen symbol, just like Christmas, do you think Jesus was born on the 25 of December? Or in december at all? No, the christians just "changed" it to coincide with the winter solstice and make Christianity easier to swallow for Pagen converts :roll:

Most biblical scholars and preachers readily admit that they know Christ was not born on December 25th. However, they claim that this day is as good as any other to celebrate the birth of Jesus, despite the fact that it was originally a pagan celebration called Saturnalia which commemorated the birth of the sun god.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia

But, we all no greek and roman mythology is just a myth now too

PorkChopSandwiches
11-17-2011, 04:24 PM
http://answersforthefaith.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/image1.png

Muddy
11-17-2011, 04:25 PM
The tree is a pagen symbol, just like Christmas, do you think Jesus was born on the 25 of December? Or in december at all? No, the christians just "changed" it to coincide with the winter solstice and make Christianity easier to swallow for Pagen converts :roll:

Oh is that what they were doing? What do you guys celebrate the 'winter holidays' ? Happy Winter Holidays that aren't really related to Christ but we want some presents!

PorkChopSandwiches
11-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Oh is that what they were doing? What do you guys celebrate the 'winter holidays' ? Happy Winter Holidays that aren't really related to Christ but we want some presents!

What do presents have to do with Christ?

If you research what you have been breed to believe, you will see the silliness of it all /rant

Teh One Who Knocks
11-17-2011, 04:28 PM

I don't agree with a lot of stuff Bill O'Reilly says, but I firmly believe he is right with his whole 'War on Christmas' thing he brings up every year.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-17-2011, 04:31 PM
These guys are just as bad as the people they are "protesting" But, the reality of it is, is they are trying to get out a message like every other religion.

Muddy
11-17-2011, 04:34 PM
These guys are just as bad as the people they are "protesting" But, the reality of it is, is they are trying to get out a message like every other religion.

You'd be pretty screwed living in Cali. if you remove 'Jesus' from the lives of all the Blacks and Hispanics living around you... That and the welfare system is the only reason you have been allowed to live there.. It's the 'fear of god' that protects peaceful people like yourself. Without the fear of roasting for all eternity there would be an 'OPH' movement... 'Occupy Porkys House'...

Teh One Who Knocks
11-17-2011, 04:35 PM

These people do nothing but bitch about people pushing religion....so they are nothing but hypocrites because they are out there pushing their own beliefs. They need to just STFU because they have now become more annoying than the religious people.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-17-2011, 04:37 PM
These people do nothing but bitch about people pushing religion....so they are nothing but hypocrites because they are out there pushing their own beliefs. They need to just STFU because they have now become more annoying than the religious people.

Im agreeing with you.

Godfather
11-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Couldn't agree with lance more... the hypocrisy is ridiculous. I can't believe people have this much time on their hands and can't see what they're doing.

And why is it they only attack Christians? Probably because they're pussies. Attack a religion that isn't good at tolerating shit like this, see how you fair against the Muslims when you post billboards against their faith :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-17-2011, 04:39 PM
You'd be pretty screwed living in Cali. if you remove 'Jesus' from the lives of all the Blacks and Hispanics living around you... That and the welfare system is the only reason you have been allowed to live there.. It's the 'fear of god' that protects peaceful people like yourself. Without the fear of roasting for all eternity there would be an 'OPH' movement... 'Occupy Porkys House'...

You're delusional. These people are still criminals, no matter how much church their mom puts them in. Its like these fucking rappers who thanks god when they win some award. They dont even know what they are talking about, its just been ingrained in them, yet they dont follow the "path"

Muddy
11-17-2011, 04:43 PM
You're delusional. These people are still criminals, no matter how much church their mom puts them in. Its like these fucking rappers who thanks god when they win some award. They dont even know what they are talking about, its just been ingrained in them, yet they dont follow the "path"

I think religion plays a more formative role in these peoples lives than you realize.

Joebob034
11-17-2011, 05:37 PM
vice versa.

Atheists don't have a religious belief, but are subject to non-stop proselytizing by folks who are attached to their preferred magic widget.

As they often point out, for folks who do believe in a god, they almost always reject all gods but their own, so in effect they are atheists for all religions save one. Atheists, in that respect, have the same views as "believers" -- they just disbelieve in one more religion.

I've never tried to convert anyone to Catholicism or shove my religion in their face so I don't want theirs shoved in mine.