PDA

View Full Version : PETA asks Turkey, Texas to change its name for Thanksgiving

Teh One Who Knocks
11-17-2011, 01:27 PM
by Action 4 News Staff

The controversial animal rights group PETA has asked the town of Turkey, Texas, to change its name to 'Tofurky' for Thanksgiving.

The animal rights group sent a letter to Mayor Pat Carson on Monday urging him to change the name of the town in time for the turkey-based holiday.

The letter claims that turkeys suffer virtually every day of their lives and that eating the vegetarian alternative Tofurky comes without the suffering of the turkeys.

PETA wrote that it'll treat the entire city to a vegan holiday feast if the name is changed.

"Thanksgiving is murder on turkeys," PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman told the Associated Press. "By changing its name to 'Tofurky,' Turkey would send a clear message that delicious, savory mock meat is an easy way to celebrate without causing suffering-and give a bird something to be thankful for."

PETA stands for 'People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.'

Located in the Texas Panhandle, Turkey is known as the home of country music legend Bob Wills.

Residents told Amarillo's KVII-TV that they are opposed to the name change.

Letter sent from PETA to Mayor Carson of Turkey:

Dear Mayor Carson,

I am writing on behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and our more than 3 million members and supporters, including thousands in Texas, with an idea that will boost Turkey into the spotlight and promote compassion: Rename your town "Tofurky" for Thanksgiving. If you agree to adopt this moniker for just one day, we'd be happy to provide a delicious, healthy vegan holiday feast for all the town's residents.

Tofurky is a savory, flavorful, "meaty" vegan entrée with wild-rice and bread-crumb stuffing that is 100 percent cruelty-free. In contrast, virtually all turkey meat sold in the U.S. comes from factory farms, where birds are confined by the thousands to filthy, barren sheds. They are drugged and bred to grow such unnaturally large upper bodies that their legs often become crippled under the weight. These bright and social animals are denied everything that is natural and important to them, and at the slaughterhouse, turkeys are still conscious when their throats are slit. Changing the town's name to Tofurky will remind people around the country that we each can have a delicious, protein-packed, and satisfying Thanksgiving meal without supporting animal abuse.

PETA's feast would feature Tofurky with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes (made with vegan margarine), and vegan apple pie topped with vanilla dairy-free ice cream. Introducing vegan cuisine to your residents would help improve their health: A vegan diet is free of the saturated animal fats and cholesterol found in meat and dairy products, and according to the American Dietetic Association, a vegan diet reduces the risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and obesity.

Thanksgiving is the perfect time to rename your town and give turkeys, as well as your town's citizens, something to gobble about! Please let me know of your decision.

Sincerely yours,

Tracy Reiman
Executive Vice President

redred
11-17-2011, 01:31 PM
maybe they could ask turkey to change the name of their whole country next

ffs:rolleyes:

Loser
11-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Fuck peta.

KevinD
11-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah, that bird won't fly.... Tell you what Miss. Reiman ....Y'all come on down and we'll show you how to shoot, gut, and deep fry some of that delicious, savory REAL meat bird...

Acid Trip
11-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah, that bird won't fly.... Tell you what Miss. Reiman ....Y'all come on down and we'll show you how to shoot, gut, and deep fry some of that delicious, savory REAL meat bird...

Deep fried turkey... :drool:

KevinD
11-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Yep, gonna fry up a "test" bird this weekend. (Got a new fryer)

Acid Trip
11-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Yep, gonna fry up a "test" bird this weekend. (Got a new fryer)

Do you use an oil fryer or one of those infrared fryers?

KevinD
11-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Oil and propane type. I have an infrared roaster on my grill, and it works fantastic for chicken, but turkey is too big for the rotisserie.

Jezter
11-17-2011, 05:18 PM
How does PETA expect anyone to ever take them seriously after the last couple stunst they've pulled? First the Mario case and now this... FFS!

Muddy
11-17-2011, 05:28 PM
I've never tried a fried turkey before... We are trying a fee range turkey this year though..

Joebob034
11-17-2011, 05:33 PM
OMG do these people really have nothing better to do with their time?

KevinD
11-17-2011, 05:36 PM
I've never tried a fried turkey before... We are trying a fee range turkey this year though..

I still love a traditional baked bird, but about every two years or so, we'll do fried for a difference. I'm gonna inject the test bird with seasoning tonight.

Acid Trip
11-17-2011, 06:32 PM

You sir are missing out on one of the best meals of your life.

Muddy
11-17-2011, 06:41 PM
You sir are missing out on one of the best meals of your life.

I keep hearing that....

PorkChopSandwiches
11-17-2011, 06:43 PM
We fried one a few years back, amazing how moist it is :tup:

Now back to the topic, I have asked "PETA" to change their name to "STFU" permanently

DemonGeminiX
11-17-2011, 06:49 PM
How does PETA expect anyone to ever take them seriously after the last couple stunst they've pulled? First the Mario case and now this... FFS!

:hand:

No one was taking them seriously to begin with, so they're batting 1.000.

Acid Trip
11-17-2011, 07:14 PM
We fried one a few years back, amazing how moist it is :tup:

Now back to the topic, I have asked "PETA" to change their name to "STFU" permanently

Could you imagine if the mayor responded with that request! Hilarious!