PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel feeder could be jailed

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2011, 04:26 PM
By Jordan Burgess -WDTN-TV Channel 2

http://i.imgur.com/OMwss.jpg

KETTERING, Ohio (WDTN) - Annick Richardson doesn't fit the profile of someone who could be facing jail time, and if you ask her, she'll tell you her only crime is caring too much.

"It's very dishonest to make me the villain or make me look like the monster," Richardson says.

But Richardson found out in Kettering Municipal Court Friday that she could serve up to 60 days in jail and be forced to pay a hefty fine for turning her neighborhood into a squirrel buffet.

"It is excessive that is true," Richardson told 2 News about her feedings. "I'm am trying to refrain myself."

Richardson's actual charges are two counts of criminal trespassing for going on other people's properties to pass out the peanuts.

When 2 News talked to neighbors they told us she's been doing it for years and that it's gotten out of hand to the point where the squirrels are ruining gardens, clogging air conditioners with peanuts and even chewing through car wiring.

"She won't stop," says neighbor Don DuBon. "She won't listen to police. She won't listen to the animal control officer."

One woman even told us of how she had to move, in part, because of her grandson's severe peanut allergy.

Richardson says she felt bad about that situation and relocated one of her feeders.

"It's the parents or guardians responsibility to make sure the child is not going to pick up anything and it's my responsibility not to put any on her side," Richardson says.

Richardson showed 2 News letters from six neighbors who think the charges are overblown.

Most neighbors have told us they would be okay if she just fed squirrels in her yard.

So 2 News asked her if she would consider packing away some of her peanuts.

"What I will do is reduce dramatically in the springtime and feed them mainly on my property but I will have a few exceptions," Richardson says.

At Friday's hearing Richardson was appointed a public defender.

She'll be in court for a pre-trail hearing in December.

Godfather
11-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Nobody remembers how to be reasonable at all anymore do they. We call punishment for these types of petty matters 'fines' and they should bring money in to governments, not cost it thousands in jail time and court fees :lol:

My neighbor feeds racoons. I might go to jail for giving her a swift kick in the ass....

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Nobody remembers how to be reasonable at all anymore do they. We call punishment for these types of petty matters 'fines' and they should bring money in to governments, not cost it thousands in jail time and court fees :lol:

My neighbor feeds racoons. I might go to jail for giving her a swift kick in the ass....

The courts and jails are meant for petty and stupid things :nono:

Richard Cranium
11-19-2011, 06:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv5RICL4gIs