PDA

View Full Version : Power Balance Bracelets Forced to Pay $57 Million, Expected to Close Shop

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
By the TMZ Staff

http://i.imgur.com/NG4d3.jpg

Power Balance -- the company that allegedly duped athletes into believing its bracelets could provide super-human strength -- is about to take a $57 million dollar hit in a lawsuit filed by people who called BS on the product ... TMZ has learned.

As we previously reported, a class action suit was filed in federal court in L.A. back in January ... alleging consumers were duped into believing the hologram-embedded band was scientifically proven to enhance balance, flexibility and strength. There was just one small problem -- there was never any hard evidence to back those claims.

Now, sources with direct knowledge of the situation tell TMZ ... the company has reached a settlement worth $57.4 million, intended to compensate all those who were misled into buying the product.

And it gets worse for PB -- we're told the company will be declaring bankruptcy and plans to fold up shop altogether.

The Power Balance bracelets CRUSHED IT when they first appeared on the scene a few years ago -- with superstars like Drew Brees and Shaq vouching for the product.

Turns out ... size, strength and talent can't be sold in stores.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Who would have thought it was BS :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I bought 4 of them, one for each arm and leg :sad2:

Acid Trip
11-21-2011, 07:04 PM
I bought 4 of them, one for each arm and leg :sad2:

What? No 5th one for little Lance?

Godfather
11-21-2011, 07:11 PM
I wonder what percent of people who wore them really believed in them, or just thought they looked cool/wanted to look like everyone else :lol:

Shoulda got in on that lawsuit :( I'd never buy one, but they damaged me with their stupidity too