PDA

View Full Version : 102,000 cupcakes! Small bakery burned by Groupon

Teh One Who Knocks
11-22-2011, 01:45 PM
British firm loses at least $19,500 after being swamped with orders
MSNBC

http://i.imgur.com/7HBqB.jpg

LONDON — A bakery owner was forced to make 102,000 cupcakes after being swamped by customers taking up her cut-price Groupon offer, according to reports Tuesday.

Rachel Brown offered a 75 percent discount on 12 cupcakes, which normally cost $40 (£26), the BBC reported.

However, Brown under-estimated the popularity of the deal and was unable to cope when 8,500 people signed up for the $10 (£6.50) bargain.

Brown's Need a Cake bakery, which employs eight staff in Reading, U.K., had to bring in temporary workers through an employment agency to fulfil the orders, at a cost of $19,500 (£12,500) — wiping out her profits for the year.

She also lost between $2.90 (£2.50) and $4.70 (£3) on each batch she sold, the BBC reported.

"Without doubt, it was my worst ever business decision," she told the BBC. "We had thousands of orders pouring in that really we hadn't expected to have. A much larger company would have difficulty coping."

Chicago-based Groupon sells Internet coupons for everything from spa treatments to cosmetic surgery.

Firms sign up in the hope of getting new repeat customers out of the initial deal or selling additional goods to shoppers during their first visit.

Groupon went public earlier this month at $20 a share, valuing the business at $13 billion — the highest since Google's IPO in 2004.

Brown, who has run the business for 25 years, was quoted in the Daily Telegraph saying: "We take pride in making cakes of exceptional quality but I had to bring in agency staff on top of my usual staff, who had nowhere near the same skills. I was very worried about standards dropping and hated the thought of letting anybody down.

"My poor staff were having to slog away at all hours — one of them even came in at 3 a.m. because she couldn't sleep for worry," she told the newspaper. "We are still working to make up the lost money and will not be doing this again."

Heather Dickinson, international communications director for Groupon, told the BBC there was no limit to the number of vouchers that could be sold.

"We approach each business with a tailored, individual approach based on the prior history of similar deals," she said, adding the company had been in "constant contact" with Need a Cake.

Acid Trip
11-22-2011, 01:50 PM
She shouldn't have let Groupon sell so many of the coupons. This was a bad business decision by a bad business woman.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-22-2011, 01:55 PM
In today's economy, Groupon is a bad business decision period. Not sure why anyone would sell anything at a loss or at 'break even' margins just at the chance of gaining customers. Groupon's hook is that they tell business owners that this will breed loyalty and repeat business by giving discounts. Bullshit, people are just looking for the cheapest thing period. After they move on from one business with discounts, it's off to the next.

That said, she was an idiot to sell things discounted that steeply and she definitely should have made sure there was a limit set on the number of coupons available.

Also, who the fuck pays $40 for a dozen cupcakes? :wtf:

Acid Trip
11-22-2011, 02:05 PM
I could see using Groupon to drive new business to my store. If I break even for the entire day but get 1000 new faces in my store that's a success. If only 50 of those people (5%) become repeat customers it'd be worth it.

Would I let Groupon sell 8000+ coupons if I knew my breakeven number was 1000? Hell no! Would I even approach Groupon if I didn't know my breakeven number? Hell no! She made apparently made both those mistakes.

minz
11-22-2011, 02:29 PM
I’ve used this type of deal to advertise the salon (not with groupon) and it worked well for me, I’ve picked up a lot of repeat business from it, I did however set my parameters well, I had to go back to the company running the offer at least 4 or 5 times before they got it right, I eventually told them if they can’t get it right in the next email, don’t bother coming back to me at all, they soon sorted it. As a new business I found it an invaluable an inexpensive way to advertise.

Muddy
11-22-2011, 03:22 PM
I dont know anything about this Groupon...

PorkChopSandwiches
11-22-2011, 04:15 PM
:waaaa:

JoeyB
11-22-2011, 10:42 PM
I’ve used this type of deal to advertise the salon (not with groupon) and it worked well for me, I’ve picked up a lot of repeat business from it, I did however set my parameters well, I had to go back to the company running the offer at least 4 or 5 times before they got it right, I eventually told them if they can’t get it right in the next email, don’t bother coming back to me at all, they soon sorted it. As a new business I found it an invaluable an inexpensive way to advertise.

But hair salons are predicated on repeat business, and people are very loyal...those who are happy where they go aren't going to try you out even for a good price. You are basically digging up the unhappy people, and, if you make them happy, they'll return because that is the nature of your business. In other words: salons live and die by how content the customers are.

Places that sell cupcakes, on the other hand...

I dont know anything about this Groupon...

It's the flash mob version of coupons. You have a limited offer, often just for a day, and give a huge discount. I also think there is some weird rule where the effects of the coupon only activate if a large enough group of people sign on for it???

Goofy
11-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Mmmmmmm, cake :homer:

Pony
11-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Also, who the fuck pays $40 for a dozen cupcakes? :wtf:

That was my first thought...

Teh One Who Knocks
11-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Mmmmmmm, cake :homer:

http://i.imgur.com/xWJpe.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks