PDA

View Full Version : Expensive Headlights?

Godfather
11-24-2011, 03:27 AM
My front headlight burned out on my new (to me at least; it's a 2006 Mazda 3) car for the first time.

I've usually just owned cheap old cars and bought cheap headlights

But this time I looked a little harder and realized there were half a dozen lights I could buy (H7 sized; not HID apparently)

Does anyone have an opinion how much it matters? I bought a cheap 10$ one and it's fine, just as bright as the other. But would the 60$ ones be anything special? And is it more than brightness, because if it needs to be bright I'll just turn on the high-beams :-k

JoeyB
11-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Damn, I thought this thread was going to be full of quality boobjobs.

redred
11-24-2011, 08:19 AM
if you run into the back of someone they all break :yup:

JoeyB
11-24-2011, 08:25 AM
if you run into the back of someone they all break :yup:

That's why girls with big fake boobs should never run in crowds.

Richard Cranium
11-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Generally, the cheap $10 one will be the most durable. The more expensive higher output ones typically don't last as long, Hella brand sometimes being the exception.

Noilly Pratt
11-25-2011, 11:05 PM
I buy something in the middle...around $20 - $25 each and they're called GE Nighthawks (package says they're 30% brighter). They definitely give off more light than the standard bulbs - really apparent on high beam. Sometimes you can get lucky and Canadian Tire has the pair of them for $30. I do a lot of night driving.

They seem to last me about 2 years...same as the $10 cheapies. I bought those expensive ones and they seemed to last only a year.

They have a premium one called Nighthawk Platinum, but my friend bought those, and I can't see much difference in output in comparison to my plain ol' nighthawks.

Remember in Canada, we're mandated to how large a wattage the bulbs can be. All that the Platinum ones do is produce a "whiter" light I think.

It's less wattage than in Europe, because I went over to England and got European bulbs for my old Fiesta and it was WAY brighter. One cop said I was illegal because they were noticeably brighter. Luckily no one else noticed so I just kept 'em in and dealt the car in with them installed.

Noilly Pratt
11-25-2011, 11:14 PM
That's why girls with big fake boobs should never run in crowds.

Whiplash, you see... :D

JoeyB
11-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Whiplash, you see... :D

You can get whiplash trying to check out big boobs.

Godfather
11-26-2011, 07:00 PM
I buy something in the middle...around $20 - $25 each and they're called GE Nighthawks (package says they're 30% brighter). They definitely give off more light than the standard bulbs - really apparent on high beam. Sometimes you can get lucky and Canadian Tire has the pair of them for $30. I do a lot of night driving.

They seem to last me about 2 years...same as the $10 cheapies. I bought those expensive ones and they seemed to last only a year.

They have a premium one called Nighthawk Platinum, but my friend bought those, and I can't see much difference in output in comparison to my plain ol' nighthawks.

Remember in Canada, we're mandated to how large a wattage the bulbs can be. All that the Platinum ones do is produce a "whiter" light I think.

It's less wattage than in Europe, because I went over to England and got European bulbs for my old Fiesta and it was WAY brighter. One cop said I was illegal because they were noticeably brighter. Luckily no one else noticed so I just kept 'em in and dealt the car in with them installed.

Sweet, thanks Noilly! Those are the brands I was looking at too :lol: Good to have a fellow Canadian Tire shopper giving reviews.

Noilly Pratt
11-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Sweet, thanks Noilly! Those are the brands I was looking at too :lol: Good to have a fellow Canadian Tire shopper giving reviews.

Glad to help.

The real trick setup was what I had on my old VW Fox. They came with just old sealed beams but I put Lucas Halogen lamps in. And when I visited England, I brought back a pair of driving lights that were MUCH brighter than what we have here. They're what we call "Off Road" lights.

I used to do a lot driving on unlit country roads (Chilliwack, Langley etc) so I needed the lighting power. It turned day into night!

Hugh_Janus
11-27-2011, 11:26 AM
can't remember the last time I paid for a bulb :-k

:dance:

redred
11-27-2011, 11:39 AM
nor me:lol:

JoeyB
11-27-2011, 09:27 PM
can't remember the last time I paid for a bulb :-k

:dance:

Nor me. We all have neighbours with cars and perfectly usable headlights. Why go shopping?

Tank
11-28-2011, 06:28 PM

:slap:

you dont drive so your opinion in this thread is invalid!

:nana:

JoeyB
11-28-2011, 09:49 PM
:slap:

you dont drive so your opinion in this thread is invalid!

:nana:

Is that true? I thought I was the only carless person hereabouts.

Muddy
11-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Get em from the dealer...!

JoeyB
11-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Get em from the dealer...!

Is this thread about drugs now?

Tank
11-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Is that true? I thought I was the only carless person hereabouts.

i think red can drive, but doesnt :huh: or i may be totaly making this shit up :huh::-k

*awaits reds reply

beowulf
11-28-2011, 10:39 PM
i think red can drive, but doesnt

correctomundo..................he had a mini, remember ;)

JoeyB
11-28-2011, 10:50 PM
i think red can drive, but doesnt :huh: or i may be totaly making this shit up :huh::-k

*awaits reds reply

No reply needed...I like the ambiguity of 'is it fact, or made up bullshit'. Mostly because I love making shit up. Also, double red is an insect based alien life form here to steal our women and cider. That's a proven fact.

Tank
11-29-2011, 06:39 PM
correctomundo..................he had a mini, remember ;)

that i do!!!

double red is an insect based alien life form here to steal our women and cider. That's a proven fact.

i know, i'm in kahoots with him!

but they aint insect based life forms . . . . . and get really pissy with those who say they are!!

JoeyB
11-29-2011, 09:41 PM
that i do!!!

i know, i'm in kahoots with him!

but they aint insect based life forms . . . . . and get really pissy with those who say they are!!

I'm in kahoots with the secret alien invasion force that HATES those insect like guys, and they like to taunt them.