PDA

View Full Version : Muslim medical students boycotting lectures on evolution... because it 'clashes with the Koran'

Teh One Who Knocks
11-28-2011, 01:08 AM
By Daily Mail Reporter

http://i.imgur.com/XCg5x.jpg

Muslim students, including trainee doctors on one of Britain's leading medical courses, are walking out of lectures on evolution claiming it conflicts with creationist ideas established in the Koran.

Professors at University College London have expressed concern over the increasing number of biology students boycotting lectures on Darwinist theory, which form an important part of the syllabus, citing their religion.

Similar to the beliefs expressed by fundamentalist Christians, Muslim opponents to Darwinism maintain that Allah created the world, mankind and all known species in a single act.

Steve Jones emeritus professor of human genetics at university college London has questioned why such students would want to study biology at all when it obviously conflicts with their beliefs.

He told the Sunday Times: 'I had one or two slightly frisky discussions years ago with kids who belonged to fundamentalist Christian churches, now it is Islamic overwhelmingly.

http://i.imgur.com/3NcKT.png

'They don't come [to lectures] or they complain about it or they send notes or emails saying they shouldn't have to learn this stuff.

'What they object to - and I don't really understand it, I am not religious - they object to the idea that there is a random process out there which is not directed by God.'

Earlier this year Usama Hasan, iman of the Masjid al-Tawhid mosque in Leyton, received death threats for suggesting that Darwinism and Islam might be compatible.

Sources within the group Muslims4UK partly blame the growing popularity of creationist beliefs within Islam on Turkish author Harun Yahya who, influenced by the success of Christian creationists in America, has written several books denouncing Darwinist theory.

Yahya associates Dawinism with Nazism and his books are and videos are available at many Islamic bookshops in the UK and regularly feature on Islamic television channels.

Speakers regularly tour Britain lecturing on Yahya's beliefs.

One such lecture was given at UCL in 2008 and this year's talks have been given in London, Manchester, Leeds, Dundee and Glasgow.

Evolutionary Biologist and former Oxford Professor Richard Dawkins has expressed his concern at the number of students, consisting almost entirely of Muslims, who do not attend or walk out of lectures.

Godfather
11-28-2011, 01:14 AM
If you don't like it, drop out. These top schools get 4000 applications and take in 200 students a year.

This is just one more good reason why good grad schools are moving away from strictly GPA/MCAT based admissions.

Griffin
11-28-2011, 01:21 AM
why can't we all just get along?

DemonGeminiX
11-28-2011, 01:25 AM
why can't we all just get along?

Because we're right and they're a bunch of fucking idiots.

deebakes
11-28-2011, 02:12 AM
Crazy Koreans...

Griffin
11-28-2011, 02:48 AM
There was a drunk sitting in a local tavern when a drop dead gorgeous lady walked in and sat the other end of the bar from him. He said to the bartender "Give that babe a drink on me."

The bartender replied," Sure, but don't count on anything from it, she happens to be a lesbian." Being too drunk to even think straight, the guy decided to strike up a conversation with the lady and, approaching her stated, "I hear you are from lesbia.

Correcting him she told him there was no such place and that she was a lesbian. Unable to make him understand that it was a lifestyle, she offered an example. "Do you see that young lady in the corner?"

"Yes" he says "What I would like to do to her is to take her home, remove her shirt, fondle her lovely breasts and then make love to her all night."

With this, the drunk broke down and started to cry.

"What is the matter?" She asked.

The drunk said through his tears, "I think I am a lesbian too".

Muddy
11-28-2011, 01:23 PM
*Mental note* Accept no treatment from Muslim doctors.

Acid Trip
11-28-2011, 05:08 PM
The Muslim students had a chance to read the entire curriculum BEFORE they entered the medical program. If they didn't agree with one of the required courses they should have gone elsewhere.

JoeyB
11-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Why? Think about it...they may know shit about evolution, but they do know how to heal your wounds.

Muddy
11-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Why? Think about it...they may know shit about evolution, but they do know how to heal your wounds.

If they refused to even explore the concept of evolution because of some stupid religious hangup they have, there is no freaking way I'm letting them near my body... I need a scientific based healer, not a spiritual one..

JoeyB
11-28-2011, 10:08 PM
If they refused to even explore the concept of evolution because of some stupid religious hangup they have, there is no freaking way I'm letting them near my body... I need a scientific based healer, not a spiritual one..

I guess what I am saying is...if they understand the anatomy, the processes of healing, and all the stuff concerning the actual application of medicine...what difference does it make if they believe in evolution or not?

FBD
11-28-2011, 11:10 PM
what I'm saying is, dont complete the curriculum, dont get your degree. simple, easy.

JoeyB
11-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Of course, why is evolution even required for physicians? Even adherents still refer to it as a theory. Do we base medicine on theories?

Griffin
11-29-2011, 12:16 AM
When the new patient was settled comfortably on the couch, the psychiatrist began his therapy session, "I'm not aware of your problem," the doctor said. "So perhaps, you should start at the very beginning."

"Of course." replied the patient. "In the beginning, I created the Heavens and the Earth..."

JoeyB
11-29-2011, 12:18 AM
When the new patient was settled comfortably on the couch, the psychiatrist began his therapy session, "I'm not aware of your problem," the doctor said. "So perhaps, you should start at the very beginning."

"Of course." replied the patient. "In the beginning, I created the Heavens and the Earth..."

OK, I'm not proud of it, but that amused me.

Muddy
11-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Of course, why is evolution even required for physicians? Even adherents still refer to it as a theory. Do we base medicine on theories?

Evolution may very well be viable... And yes, most medicines are based on theory... Doesn't it all start as an idea at some point?

JoeyB
11-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Evolution may very well be viable... And yes, most medicines are based on theory... Doesn't it all start as an idea at some point?

Oh, you know, I have some rather serious views on the modern medical community and can't discuss them without going full bore. But yes, it's all theory. And mostly crap.

Hugh_Janus
11-29-2011, 12:29 AM

a muz-lum (or should I say terrorist? :-k ) doctor had my balls in his hand a couple of years ago

Muddy
11-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Oh, you know, I have some rather serious views on the modern medical community and can't discuss them without going full bore. But yes, it's all theory. And mostly crap.

My great uncles a doctor.. I get the straight shoot from him..

JoeyB
11-29-2011, 12:44 AM
a muz-lum (or should I say terrorist? :-k ) doctor had my balls in his hand a couple of years ago

Like, recreationally?

I get the straight shoot from him..

But what if you turn gay?

Acid Trip
11-29-2011, 02:49 PM

The modern medical community is crap eh? Perhaps we should bring back polio, measles, mumps, rubella, and whooping cough so you have a chance to experience them for yourself?

After all, immunizations are/were theories at some point. So was chemotherapy, radiation, open heart surgery, transfusions, dialysis, etc etc.