PDA

View Full Version : Ohio puts 200-pound third-grader in foster care

RBP
11-28-2011, 06:54 PM
CLEVELAND (AP) — An Ohio third-grader who weighs more than 200 pounds has been taken from his family and placed into foster care after county social workers said his mother wasn't doing enough to control his weight.

The Plain Dealer reports (http://bit.ly/t68M7D ) that the Cleveland 8-year-old is considered severely obese and at risk for such diseases as diabetes and hypertension.

The case is the first state officials can recall of a child being put in foster care strictly for a weight-related issue.

Lawyers for the mother say the county overreached when authorities took the boy last week. They say the medical problems he is at risk for do not yet pose an imminent danger.

A spokeswoman says the county removed the child because caseworkers saw his mother's inability to reduce his weight as medical neglect.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-28-2011, 06:57 PM
How do you let an 8 year old get that fat? :facepalm:

Hal-9000
11-28-2011, 07:00 PM
I was 175-180 in grade 4

:oops: :oops:

and to answer Lance's query - either 4 hot dogs a day for lunch or one family sized tin of Ravioli and four pieces of bread every day for lunch...:oops:

KevinD
11-28-2011, 07:27 PM
I dunno how much I weighed back then. Probably slightly less than average I guess, though in my case, that wasn't from lack of eating, it was the reverse in fact..I had a super high metabolism. I couldn't eat enough.

Hal-9000
11-28-2011, 07:29 PM
I was 6 feet, 175 lbs by the end of grade 4.There's pictures showing me tower over the other kids at dances etc :oops:

RBP
11-28-2011, 08:00 PM
:-k I was wondering how the state can take away a kid because the kid is fat.

Acid Trip
11-28-2011, 08:04 PM
:-k I was wondering how the state can take away a kid because the kid is fat.

They can't. Just like they can't take someones kids just because the parents named them after evil people in history. The lawyers are going to have a field day with this.

KevinD
11-28-2011, 08:08 PM
I dunno. if they can prove that the situation was unhealthy, they may get away with it nowadays.

Hal-9000
11-28-2011, 08:16 PM
If the Mom is pumping 6000 Twinkie calories a day into the kid...sure they can prove she's providing an unhealthy environment for a child...and about time too

Acid Trip
11-28-2011, 08:25 PM
I dunno. if they can prove that the situation was unhealthy, they may get away with it nowadays.

Maybe, but I fail to see how a kid being fat is worse then being ripped away from his family and placed in foster care.

MrsM
11-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Maybe, but I fail to see how a kid being fat is worse then being ripped away from his family and placed in foster care.

^^this^^

Acid Trip
11-28-2011, 08:27 PM
If the Mom is pumping 6000 Twinkie calories a day into the kid...sure they can prove she's providing an unhealthy environment for a child...and about time too

Innocent until proven guilty in the United States. If they wanted to take the child away they should have gathered the evidence for their case first and not after the fact.

Hal-9000
11-28-2011, 08:28 PM
If the Mom is..

Muddy
11-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Innocent until proven guilty in the United States.

In cases where children are involved social workers can make stuff happen instantly.

KevinD
11-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Innocent until proven guilty in the United States. If they wanted to take the child away they should have gathered the evidence for their case first and not after the fact.

I agree totally, however: (below)

In cases where children are involved social workers can make stuff happen instantly.

Because of the total idiocracy that is rampant nowadays, the above is necessary in some cases.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-28-2011, 08:55 PM
http://www.trademarkia.com/services/logo.ashx?sid=78816600

Muddy
11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Because of the total idiocracy that is rampant nowadays, the above is necessary in some cases.

Agreed... I witnessed one family (well almost the whole family) pack up and go on a 'weekend away' and leave their 10 year old boy at home.. Alone.. All weekend. W.T.F.?

Godfather
11-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Agreed... I witnessed one family (well almost the whole family) pack up and go on a 'weekend away' and leave their 10 year old boy at home.. Alone.. All weekend. W.T.F.?

Wow that's criminal...

Muddy
11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Wow that's criminal...

Yeah, the kid also had full access to a Honda 4 wheeler and was swimming alone down at the river...

Acid Trip
11-28-2011, 09:04 PM
I agree totally, however: (below)

The kid is overweight! He's not coming to school with bruises and black eyes! He may grow 8 inches next year and another 10 the following year without gaining a pound. He may decide to take up sports and shed the weight within a year.

Tell the parents they are being watched and monitor the situation for 6 months or a year. Don't place the kid in foster care because you "think" he's being feed 600 Twinkies a day. Whatever happened to common sense?

Godfather
11-28-2011, 09:07 PM
There are so many fat fucking kids these days it's filthy... all those parents should be shot. Common sense is feeding kids fruit and vegitables, and spending time with them. Not raising them in front of a television ("Oh hey, it's Baby Einstein, my job is done here") and hitting KFC whenever they want it and you're lazy. Why is that so difficult.

A 200lb 3rd grader? He's probably what, 4ft tall? That's insanity. I do agree with Acid to some degree though. You can't take every one of these kids away anyways, at least not without warning.

Hal-9000
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
"because of the total idiocracy that is rampant nowadays...."

It's valid.It's obvious that some parents need to be monitored and no I won't get you 20 examples from our very own daily news stories here...

Before a person starts to cry out and defend parent's rights, we should look at how the parents are treating the kids.Like the 14 yr old with cerebral palsy who weighed 28 pounds and was kept in a fucking closet for years.That sort of abuse needs to stop and it starts here with social workers asking one hard question - Is this child overweight because of genetics or because Mom figures dill pickle potato chips are a 'green' vegetable?

I believe in personal freedoms more than the next guy but lately parents are being dangerous idiots and declaring - I didn't know it wasn't ok to put a kid in a cement mixer!!!...don't prosecute me!

Muddy
11-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Speaking of Dill pickle chips... Mmmmm the new extreme Pringles...... :dance:

Hal-9000
11-28-2011, 09:25 PM
I had two heat em mac n cheeses today :thumbsup:

I have to go lay down in my car now.....

Muddy
11-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Go lay in your ice chest.. :lol:

Iffy
11-28-2011, 10:32 PM
There are so many fat fucking kids these days it's filthy... all those parents should be shot. Common sense is feeding kids fruit and vegitables, and spending time with them. Not raising them in front of a television ("Oh hey, it's Baby Einstein, my job is done here") and hitting KFC whenever they want it and you're lazy. Why is that so difficult.

A 200lb 3rd grader? He's probably what, 4ft tall? That's insanity. I do agree with Acid to some degree though. You can't take every one of these kids away anyways, at least not without warning.

Spend time with them!?! Kids are assholes [-(

JoeyB
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Spend time with them!?! Kids are assholes [-(

Visit a middle school someday, and you won't just be saying that as a joke.

Iffy
11-28-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm not joking

Softdreamer
11-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Just my :2cents: but I think giving your kids the shitty situation of starting life fat is worse than most neglect or abuse.

Aside from the physical disadvantages that poor kid will suffer, he will have major emotional issues with self esteem and from being bullied. [-(
Its hard enough being a kid without the extra issues being piled on by lazy parents who cant even be bothered to feed their kids and encourage them to exercise.

RBP
11-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Visit a middle school someday, and you won't just be saying that as a joke.

Careful about violating that court order again, Joey.