PDA

View Full Version : Teacher put on leave after rattling table to get students' attention

Teh One Who Knocks
03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
By Jesse Dungan - Palo Alto Daily News Staff Writer

An eighth-grade math teacher at Atherton's Selby Lane School rattled a table to get his students' attention Tuesday afternoon, police said.

He succeeded on that score.

But the demonstration landed him on paid administrative leave.

Officers went to the campus at 2:26 p.m. to check on reports of a teacher causing a disturbance in a classroom and possibly throwing objects, said Sgt. Tim Lynch of the Atherton Police Department. When officers arrived, however, they found a calm teacher with class in session and determined nothing had been thrown.

Lynch said it appears the teacher's table-rattling act startled a female student who left the class and called police from a cell phone.

"My impression by talking to her was that she was disturbed by what the teacher was doing," Lynch said.

Most of the students in the class weren't bothered by the teacher's actions, Lynch said. Though the teacher "dramatically" made his point, "it wasn't a teacher out of control," he added.

Redwood City School District Deputy Superintendent John Baker said the teacher will remain on leave pending an investigation. He said he didn't know what specifically happened and would interview the teacher, the student and her parents in the coming days, as well as other students.

No complaints have been lodged against the teacher in the past, Baker said.

The district put the teacher on leave because of the police response and the nature of the complaint, he said.

fricnjay
03-02-2011, 03:10 PM
:facepalm:

traveler
03-02-2011, 03:38 PM
The fact that an "investigation" needs to take place for such a benign event serves as a great editorial on how political correctness has made a mockery of common sense. I hope the teacher enjoys the paid vacation, at taxpayers expense of course, and his reputation in the classroom is not tarnished.

Southern Belle
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Oh ffs.

MrsM
03-02-2011, 03:52 PM
The fact that an "investigation" needs to take place for such a benign event serves as a great editorial on how political correctness has made a mockery of common sense. I hope the teacher enjoys the paid vacation, at taxpayers expense of course, and his reputation in the classroom is not tarnished.

Paid vacation - sure - however it's on his record. Kids these days need a good :slap:

minz
03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
How utterly absurd, I've taught rowdy teenagers in college and sometimes you have to resort to the unexpected to get their attention, I once opened the door and slammed it shut, once the room fell silent, I proceeded with "so, now that I have your attention" no harm done and it got the students to listen to what I had to say!

Southern Belle
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Really! The girl who slipped out and called police should be punished for leaving class.

Hugh_Janus
03-02-2011, 04:52 PM

nuff said

Hal-9000
03-02-2011, 05:26 PM
startled her??

what, he woke her up? :lol:

Godfather
03-02-2011, 06:35 PM
God I feel bad for teachers these days... I mean, many of them suck but the ones that don't totally have their hands tied

It's not the physical stuff like this that's even the biggest worry.. you can hardly critique kids anymore. Parents just want to hear their child is a perfect little angel, getting top marks and causes no trouble :roll:

Some asshole kid here watched too many court shows and called 911 to get her teacher in trouble!? I say she gets suspended for that kinda bullshit...

Hal-9000
03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
God I feel bad for teachers these days... I mean, many of them suck but the ones that don't totally have their hands tied

It's not the physical stuff like this that's even the biggest worry.. you can hardly critique kids anymore. Parents just want to hear their child is a perfect little angel, getting top marks and causes no trouble :roll:

Some asshole kid here watched too many court shows and called 911 to get her teacher in trouble!? I say she gets suspended for that kinda bullshit...

like the story about not using red pen to mark papers wrong because it offends the children...

or not allowing a team to score more than 5 goals in team sports as it hurts their feelings....

I'm not saying beat the kids but c'mon...stories like this illustrate that if you give too many liberties
to kids, they'll start manipulating the situations in their 'favor' constantly

Goofy
03-02-2011, 06:45 PM

nuff said

Yep :|

Joebob034
03-02-2011, 07:38 PM
FFS next thing you know teachers won't be allowed to talk too loudly at their students.

minz
03-02-2011, 07:44 PM
like the story about not using red pen to mark papers wrong because it offends the children...

or not allowing a team to score more than 5 goals in team sports as it hurts their feelings....

I'm not saying beat the kids but c'mon...stories like this illustrate that if you give too many liberties
to kids, they'll start manipulating the situations in their 'favor' constantly

We wernt allowed to fail a paper, it was either a pass or an area for further development. :meh: It farcical

Hugh_Janus
03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
I faioled plenty of papers :lol: except maths and physics.... I loved maths and physics:cloud9:

Joebob034
03-02-2011, 07:53 PM
I faioled plenty of papers :lol: except maths and physics.... I loved maths and physics:cloud9:

ugh gross I hate math and physics

RBP
03-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Yep, suspend the kid, not the teacher.

FBD
03-03-2011, 01:04 PM

:thumbsup: I always detested extending a contrivance for 5 pages just because it had to occupy a certain volume!!!