PDA

View Full Version : NHL and other ice hockey discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Godfather
10-05-2018, 02:43 AM
The leafs are good this year. It's already disgusting. Every hockey podcast won't shut the fuck up about them. I can't handle this...

DemonGeminiX
10-05-2018, 03:37 AM
If the Leafs are the only Canadian team to make the playoffs this year (despite that like 80% of the league is all Canadian players anyway), would you support them?

DemonGeminiX
10-05-2018, 03:38 AM
Oh! The Flyer's game's on. They're up 5 - 1.

Godfather
10-05-2018, 03:44 AM
If the Leafs are the only Canadian team to make the playoffs this year (despite that like 80% of the league is all Canadian players anyway), would you support them?

Nope. I really do hate the leafs. It's not so much the guys on the team... I hate the attention and coverage they get even when they're terrible. I especially hate their loudmouth fans transplanted out this way that I know. I'll cheer for any team they face in the playoffs to wreck them. :lol:

RBP
10-05-2018, 04:14 AM
Nope. I really do hate the leafs. It's not so much the guys on the team... I hate the attention and coverage they get even when they're terrible. I especially hate their loudmouth fans transplanted out this way that I know. I'll cheer for any team they face in the playoffs to wreck them. :lol:

25 years and counting....

Godfather
10-05-2018, 04:36 AM

I'll drink to another 25 :lol:

RBP
10-05-2018, 04:38 AM
:lol: You never want a Canadian team to win?

DemonGeminiX
10-05-2018, 06:08 AM
Flyers win! Yay!

I guess they're gonna have to win consistently to shut everybody up about that god awful mascot.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2018, 11:45 AM

I'll drink to another 25 :lol:

Yeah, I was gonna say, it's been 51 years since the Leafs last won the Cup (1967) :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Flyers win! Yay!

I guess they're gonna have to win consistently to shut everybody up about that god awful mascot.

:empathy:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2018, 11:46 AM

Do they really get more press up there than even the Habs do? I would think Montreal would be the team with all the press because of their past greatness and all those Cups they won.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2018, 11:51 AM

And it's really hard to believe that it's been THAT long since a team from north of the 49th parallel has won the Cup.

RBP
10-05-2018, 11:56 AM
And it's really hard to believe that it's been THAT long since a team from north of the 49th parallel has won the Cup.

What was GF in 1993, like 2? :lol:

DemonGeminiX
10-05-2018, 12:09 PM

That's because they can't sign the good Canadian players. All of those guys want to play in the States.

Godfather
10-06-2018, 12:42 AM
That's because they can't sign the good Canadian players. All of those guys want to play in the States.

I dono that’s necessarily true tbh, look at the biggest free agent signing this year, Tavares went to the leafs. Plus making US dollars up here versus a team in say Cali or NY with almost the same taxes would probably be fairly appealing. I guess some states like Florida and Nevada would have a nice edge tax wise for sure though, and you’d be out of the spotlight more so there too if that suits your personality.

Most teams that win the last decade seem to do it on the backs of guys they drafted in the lotto. Crosby & Malkin, Toews and Kane, Ovie & Backstrom... all drafts not FA signings.

I think the problem is bad ownership with a good chunk of the Canadian teams :lol: The Nucks, Oilers and Sens in particular have horrible owners who interfere far too much.

Godfather
10-06-2018, 12:43 AM

Oh I missed your point, thought you were talking the last time since the Leafs made a real run :lol:

Ya I don’t remember the last time a Canadian team won, I was 5 then. I vaguely remember the Jays winning the World Series. Other than Olympic hockey gold we haven’t had much to bring home in a while...

Godfather
10-06-2018, 12:45 AM
Do they really get more press up there than even the Habs do? I would think Montreal would be the team with all the press because of their past greatness and all those Cups they won.

That’s a good question, hadn’t really thought of it. Leafs definitely get more, it’s a much bigger city and a good chunk of Habs fans would be frenchies who wouldn’t tune into the big national broadcasts so maybe that’s why they don’t get nearly the same airtime.

DemonGeminiX
10-06-2018, 12:52 AM
Oh I missed your point, thought you were talking the last time since the Leafs made a real run :lol:

Ya I don’t remember the last time a Canadian team won, I was 5 then. I vaguely remember the Jays winning the World Series. Other than Olympic hockey gold we haven’t had much to bring home in a while...

:maniac:

RBP
10-06-2018, 04:52 AM
It just occurred to me that I'm been drinking and smoking longer than GF's been alive. :shock:

DemonGeminiX
10-06-2018, 03:40 PM
He was 5 in '93. I was graduating high school and starting college. Not quite old enough to drink legally, but when did that ever stop anybody?

Godfather
10-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Jeeeeesus this is the same league I play in but in the div outside town. 22 year old kid died skating for a line change when he caught an edge and crashed into the boards. What a sad freak accident.

https://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/young-maple-ridge-man-dies-playing-recreational-hockey/

DemonGeminiX
10-06-2018, 06:16 PM
Damn. :rip:

Godfather
10-10-2018, 01:01 AM
I'm going to do something I don't like doing: Defend Brad Marchand. The other night while down 7-zip, Lars Ellar skated past the Bruin's bench doing a cele on their 7th goal and even yapped back at their bench when the told him off..... so Brad showed him you don't do that kind of ship while you're up by 7 and hit him in the head.

Now all these cry babies are complaining to the league or player's safety or whatever that the league needs to do more to protect Ellar? Fuck no. This is how the game is policed, and always will be. Marchand got a penalty and that's fair... but that's where this should end.

RBP
10-10-2018, 04:59 AM
I'm going to do something I don't like doing: Defend Brad Marchand. The other night while down 7-zip, Lars Ellar skated past the Bruin's bench doing a cele on their 7th goal and even yapped back at their bench when the told him off..... so Brad showed him you don't do that kind of ship while you're up by 7 and hit him in the head.

Now all these cry babies are complaining to the league or player's safety or whatever that the league needs to do more to protect Ellar? Fuck no. This is how the game is policed, and always will be. Marchand got a penalty and that's fair... but that's where this should end.

You are stuck in a fascinating quandary, my friend. Your old-school sensibilities versus new cultural standards. How dare you condone that egregious display of toxic masculinity.

RBP
10-10-2018, 05:01 AM
I'll go so far as to say sport is dead. It will die when we die.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-10-2018, 10:40 AM

:agreed:

Godfather
10-11-2018, 11:18 PM
Oh my god Adam Oates was on the Spittin Chiclets podcast today. Hilarious stories. That guy is as old school cool as it gets.

Godfather
11-03-2018, 06:05 AM
Our ROOKIE Elias Pettersson just had a 5 point game, now at 15 points in 9 games.

This is the most exciting thing for Canucks fans since 2010...

DemonGeminiX
11-03-2018, 03:17 PM
So much for that new mascot inspiring the players...

Godfather
11-03-2018, 06:40 PM
So much for that new mascot inspiring the players...

I’m pretty sure gritty is spiking their Gatorade, that’s piece of shit :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2018, 02:38 PM
CBS Sports is just reporting that the Blackhawks have fired head coach Joel Quenneville

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2018, 02:57 PM

RBP
11-06-2018, 07:29 PM
CBS Sports is just reporting that the Blackhawks have fired head coach Joel Quenneville

And replaced with the now youngest head coach in the NHL, Jeremy Colliton, age 33, from the Hawks-affiliate Rockford Ice Hogs.

Godfather
11-07-2018, 03:31 AM
And replaced with the now youngest head coach in the NHL, Jeremy Colliton, age 33, from the Hawks-affiliate Rockford Ice Hogs.

This is an odd one... I read his wikipedia page and other than being the AHL affiliated coach I'm surprised they felt he had the resume for the job.

Quenneville apparently still has 2 years at $6 million to be paid :lol: I hope he takes a while sitting on a beach sipping margaritas to think about his next move.

Unreal coach, he ran a dynasty.

Godfather
11-09-2018, 03:17 AM
The nucks scored 8 goals tonight and 7 goals two games ago... I don't understand where this offense came from but damn is it ever a lot more fun to watch than the last 4-5 years.

Godfather
11-17-2018, 02:09 AM
The Oilers just traded Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner. Aside from that probably being a dumb trade on the Oilers part, they now also have to consider that they turned Jordan Eberle into Ryan Spooner. Not to knock on Spooner or Strome too much but holy shit :rofl: What a joke the Oilers are.

DemonGeminiX
11-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Hextall was fired from the Flyer's GM job.

Godfather
12-05-2018, 06:42 AM
Seattle is officially getting an NHL team.

I'm really excited for that local rivalry... but I worry a bit about diluting the talent pool and strength of the league with a 32nd team. Personally I think there are enough teams with poor attendance to shut one or two down, move one or two, and have 28 stronger teams/fanbases. Guess they just can't pass on that expansion fee despite there being teams with under 70% attendance records :shrug:

It is also cool to see pro hockey players now coming out of places like Arizona (Austin Matthews) and Florida (Shayne Gostisbehere and Jakob Chychrun) though.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Go back to the Original Six :thumbsup:

Godfather
12-06-2018, 03:31 AM
Go back to the Original Six :thumbsup:

Can you imagine how fucking good the hockey would be :lol:

RBP
12-06-2018, 05:04 AM
Seattle is officially getting an NHL team.

I'm really excited for that local rivalry... but I worry a bit about diluting the talent pool and strength of the league with a 32nd team. Personally I think there are enough teams with poor attendance to shut one or two down, move one or two, and have 28 stronger teams/fanbases. Guess they just can't pass on that expansion fee despite there being teams with under 70% attendance records :shrug:

It is also cool to see pro hockey players now coming out of places like Arizona (Austin Matthews) and Florida (Shayne Gostisbehere and Jakob Chychrun) though.

Top team names as voted by Reddit. :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/pJ5gKDW.jpg

RBP
12-06-2018, 05:05 AM
I can't stop laughing at "Rain City Bitch Pigeons"

RBP
12-06-2018, 05:07 AM
Seattle Affective Disorder gets my vote for most creative. :tup:

Godfather
12-06-2018, 05:12 AM
:lol: There's gold in there, Seattle Seamen is the first one I saw pop up on reddit :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-10-2018, 02:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ESlEUqT1U

:shock:

Godfather
12-11-2018, 03:06 AM
Jesus

DemonGeminiX
12-11-2018, 09:28 PM
What a douchebag. I hope the Blackhawks pass on him after this.

Godfather
12-19-2018, 06:23 AM
Stumbled across this story told be the Canucks current play-by-play man and former goalie which I had to share:

“I had the trainer get me a hot dog,” John Garrett said. “Nobody saw you, the only person who knew was the trainer. The best hot dogs in the league, by the way, were at Le Colisee. Toasted buns and everything. So I’m eating one and Dan Bouchard was the (starting) goalie. So he’s playing and the game is going OK, so I figured I’m not going in this one. Some nights, when the other team scores three quick ones, you had a hint you might be going in so you get rid of the dog. But he lets in one goal and he’s (ticked) off at whoever’s on the ice at the time and he just charged off the ice.

"Well, I’m sitting there and I’ve go the hot dog tucked in my pad. So I’ve got to go in and I stand up and put my mask on. I can’t reach down and dig the dog out of my pads, people are looking at me. So I go out there and finish the game. I had to fall down a couple of times and mustard and ketchup was flying. I had to tighten the straps on my pads so the dog doesn’t come out. The trainer’s just killing himself (with laughter).”

–Montreal Gazette, 2008

Godfather
12-21-2018, 05:26 PM
This Canucks rookie we drafted last year is now 3rd in points in his first 32 NHL games with 36 points. Elias Pettersson. Kid is unreal, nice to see a good rookie in town. I don't remember the last time we had a truly exciting one.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2018, 05:40 PM
You guys just need to work on your defense, I see that the 'Nucks are overall -7 in GF v GA so far this year.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Damn, I didn't realize Tampa Bay was such a monster this year :shock: They're 27-7-2 with 148 GF and only 103 against. And they're 9-0-1 in their last 10 games.

Godfather
12-21-2018, 05:46 PM
You guys just need to work on your defense, I see that the 'Nucks are overall -7 in GF v GA so far this year.

Ya we have a couple of prospects but terrible D right now. Even if we miss the playoffs this year though, it's the most fun it has been to watch the Nucks in many years so I'm happy :D

Godfather
12-21-2018, 05:47 PM
Damn, I didn't realize Tampa Bay was such a monster this year :shock: They're 27-7-2 with 148 GF and only 103 against. And they're 9-0-1 in their last 10 games.

They're a wagon! I'd be really happy to see Stamkos win a cup.

Your Avs look great too, fun to watch. We all knew Nate was an elite play but I had no idea at all that Mikko Rantanen would be half the player he is this year, it's ridiculous! He's on a scoring place the league hasn't seen in a very long time.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2018, 05:56 PM
The Avs are such a weird team :lol: One year they're good, then they suck, then they're good. It's crazy :lol:

And Boston is at least treading water with all the injuries they've got going on right now. They're the first wild card team as it stands right now.

Godfather
12-27-2018, 12:09 AM
World Juniors starts today! Best tourney of the year. It's in Vancouver, I'll try and score some tickets but they're pricey.

DemonGeminiX
12-27-2018, 03:05 AM
That's on TV where I'm at. Guess they figure there's no way in hell people from Georgia's gonna end up going to the games, so fuck it, let 'em see it.

Godfather
12-29-2018, 07:37 PM
Every year the NHL makes a 4-5 part documentary behind the scenes following two teams on the road to the winter classic. Pretty good watching!

First two parts are out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH4xYRnK5K4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04GzgyOR4HY

Godfather
01-01-2019, 12:41 AM
The Edmonton Oilers just traded glue guy Drake Caggiula, who happens to be Connor McDavid's close friend... for Brandon Manning who broke McDavid's clavicle in his rookie season and bragged about it to his face.

Just a few highlights of the Oiler's GM Peter Chiarelli's brilliance in Edmonton

- Traded a 2nd 3rd and 7th round draft pick for Cam Talbot, a severely under preforming goalie
- Traded 1st overall pick Taylor Hall (who was top 10 in scoring twice for the Oilers and then league MVP with the Devils the next year) for Adam Larsson, a struggling 3rd pairing d-man
- Traded 1st overall pick Jordan Eberle (who then had a 59 point season) for d-man Ryan Strome, who was then traded for Ryan Spooner who has 3 points this season. A 1st overall pick turned into 3 points this season.
- Traded Griffin Reinhart who has played on 37 games in 5 years and put up 2 points... for Matt Barzal who is a point a game player
- Signed Milan Lucic for 7 years at $6m/year... who has scored 1 goal in 38 games and unfortunately cannot keep up with the faster NHL

This isn't even mentioning the mess he left the Bruins... trading Kessel for picks that turned into Seguin and Hamilton... who he traded. Trading Seguin for Loui Eriksson and a bag of pucks, trading Blake Wheeler for Rich Peverly

I don't understand how this guy has a job.

deebakes
01-02-2019, 04:17 AM
I went to the MN Wild - Pittsburgh Penguins game last night (we lost though)

Teh One Who Knocks
01-02-2019, 11:39 AM
Boston Bruins - 2019 Winter Classic Champs :dance2:

Godfather
01-03-2019, 03:03 AM
Canadian juniors eliminated :( First time in 13 times we've hosted that we won't medal. Our team just wasn't that strong unfortunately, but ultimately they're just kids. Fun to watch.

Godfather
01-04-2019, 02:27 AM
Our star rooke Elias Pettersson, leading the league in rookie scoring, scored his first hatty last night.... injured his leg tonight in a weird collision. This is a perfect summary of what it feels like being a Nucks fan :lol:

DemonGeminiX
01-06-2019, 10:24 PM
https://youtu.be/i18rnllV-dY

Godfather
01-07-2019, 07:16 AM
I love Gritty so friggin much

Teh One Who Knocks
01-07-2019, 12:40 PM
:facepalm:

Godfather
01-12-2019, 06:54 PM
WEs McCauley is awesome :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sScUJEy45yY

DemonGeminiX
01-17-2019, 03:20 AM
Bruins 3
Flyers 4

:woot:

Godfather
01-25-2019, 08:06 AM
The NHL All Star Game jerseys this year are just everyone wearing their own team jersey except they've been washed out black and white :lol: Wut...

Oh well. The ASG isn't really for fans of the sport I don't think. Big ol' PR exhibit. 3 on 3 and the cash prize helps a tad but it's still just background noise I barely watch.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2019, 11:34 AM
The All-Star game in every sport sucks :lol:

Godfather
01-26-2019, 06:09 PM
It's a definite PR stunt that they have women compete in the NHL All Star Skills Competition. Like, there's nothing stopping them from being in the NHL except that they're not good enough. And not only are they not good enough to crack an NHL line up, this is a competition of the best players in the National Hockey League. There are some incredible hockey players who didn't get invited.

With that being said... Brianna Decker beat Draisaitl’s time in the passing comp by 3 seconds (NBC didn't air it I don't think) and her skating is pro level without a doubt. If she wasn't 5'2" who knows how far she could go in pro hockey.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2019, 02:48 PM
WTF is up with the Avalanche. On Dec 7th they were tied for most points in the Western Conference, and since then they are 5-15-4 and out of the playoffs :wha:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-18-2019, 11:44 AM

Godfather
02-22-2019, 07:24 AM
That's the kind of move that a lot of kids can pull off in street hockey but then they all get flattened when they try it in a game. To pull it off in the NHL is ridiculous.

Godfather
02-24-2019, 06:58 AM
Chaos breaks out at Flyers game as security desperately attempts to chase down fat streaker

https://cdn-b-east.streamable.com/video/mp4/i3p0r.mp4?token=ZrlIj03M4yGvloZzm1sQIg&expires=1550998487

Teh One Who Knocks
03-01-2019, 03:04 PM
I don't see anything :(

Teh One Who Knocks
03-01-2019, 03:04 PM
When did it get so dusty in here?

Godfather
03-02-2019, 07:29 PM
What a good dude. Proud he's a BC boy.

Godfather
03-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Leaf's fans had an APPRECIATION night for John Tavares last night, gave him a standing-o.

Why? Not because he won a cup, hit a milestone or came back from a bad injury. It was because Islanders fans boo'd him so hard at his first game back there last week because he left their team in the off-season after saying he wanted to be an isle for life... and that really hurt Toronto fans' feelings :rofl: Leafs fans are the worst. Soft ass, four ply babies.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2019, 11:46 AM
What a good dude. Proud he's a BC boy.

Here's a story about the whole thing from the Montreal Gazette. Was there ever any doubt that hockey players are the best when it comes to pro athletes?

Stu Cowan: Canadiens' Carey Price helps mend a boy's broken heart
Stu Cowan, Montreal Gazette

https://i.imgur.com/bXYehV8.jpg

NEW YORK — When Tammy Whitehead posted a video on Facebook of her nephew getting a hug from Carey Price, she never expected it to go viral.

Boy, did it ever.

As of Friday afternoon, Whitehead’s video had been viewed more than 5 million times and the people who watched it probably shed at least ten times that many tears.

Anderson Whitehead, 11, is a huge Carey Price fan and his bedroom in Brantford, Ont., is covered in bleu-blanc-rouge and posters of the Canadiens goalie. Anderson’s mother, Laura McKay, always wanted her son to meet Price, but wasn’t able to arrange it before she passed last November at age 44 from cancer. After her death, the family decided to do everything they could to find a way for Anderson to meet Price.

Tammy’s husband has a physiotherapist who used to work for the Toronto Maple Leafs and through him they were able to get in touch with Graham Rynbend, the Canadiens’ head athletic therapist. Rynbend arranged for Anderson and family members to attend the team’s morning skate on Feb. 23 at Toronto’s Scotiabank Arena. The family already had tickets to the game that night between the Canadiens and Maple Leafs.

Rynbend briefed Price about Anderson’s story and when the goalie left the ice after the morning skate he stopped to talk with the boy. When Anderson started sobbing with tears running down his cheeks, Price took off his goalie mask and gloves and reached up into the stands to give the boy a warm hug that lasted about 15 seconds. Price then autographed Anderson’s Canadiens jersey with No. 31 and Price on the back and gave the boy two of his sticks that the goalie also autographed, along with a mini stick Anderson had brought with him.

“Thank you so much,” Anderson told Price through his tears.
Anderson’s aunt captured it all on video.

“Anderson made a joke when I asked him if I could post the video. He said: ‘Yeah, maybe it will go viral,’ ” Tammy said over the phone Friday from her home in Oakville, Ont. “But he was just joking. He had no idea.

“I just wanted to share it really with my friends and family, and I tagged Carey Price in hopes that he or somebody would see it and know how much it meant to Anderson to actually have that experience,” the aunt added. “I never in a million years thought that it would blow up like that. It was very emotional and moving for us as a family to see Anderson have this experience. Having the video explode has just been unbelievable and Anderson is absolutely over the moon. He’s doing the happy dance all the time.”

Anderson and his father, Kevin Whitehead, were reached by phone Friday in Cancun, Mexico, where they are on vacation.

“It was very cool,” Anderson said about meeting Price. “It’s the happiest I’ve ever been in my life. I always hoped it was going to happen, my mom always said it could happen.”

It did happen.
“There are no words to describe it,” Anderson’s father said about watching his son meet Price. “To watch his dream come true … I thought he might just get a high-five or something from Price, but for him to get embraced like that was absolutely incredible.

“When Carey gave him the hug and said: ‘Things will get better, bud,’ Anderson said everything in his body just left him,” the father added. “The weight and the anger that he’s been carrying around, all that stuff. There are no words to say thank you (to Price). We’re talking about writing him a letter when we come back from holidays to thank him for taking time out of his day to make a kid’s dream come true. There are no words I could ever say to thank him. I think the way Anderson showed his emotions to Carey, that would be thank you enough for that man. He’s just an incredible guy.”

Anderson’s aunt said it was the hug that really got to her.

“Everyone was bawling,” Tammy said. “My husband was bawling, my 14-year-old was bawling. Everyone was crying. And to get that hug was just … oh, it just gives me chills that he got that hug. It was so amazing. (Price) could have just signed the stick and said have fun at the game, but he gave him a big hug and that was just so amazing.”

What would the aunt want to say to Price now?

“Oh my goodness,” Tammy said. “I would just say as much as the video shows, no one can possibly have any clue how much this has impacted Anderson. I’d just like to thank him from the bottom of our hearts — all of us. Because it was an experience for him that he will never forget. As hard as it is to lose a parent when you’re that young, to have something like this that he can sort of cling to …

“I think it really is life-changing for him.”

Godfather
03-21-2019, 01:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vA6MQDgwYU

Not NHL but holy shit this kid is cute :lol:

DemonGeminiX
04-01-2019, 02:37 AM
Flyers' season's over. No playoffs. Bummer.

Godfather
04-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Round 1 of the playoffs starts in 3 days!! I absolutely love the first round, every day there's bound to be a couple great games. I kind of hope that it's San Jose's year, I want to see Thorton get a cup. I'd also be very stoked to see one of two Canadian teams win (Calgary or Winnipeg)... Toronto can get fucked. :lol:

Godfather
04-10-2019, 04:19 AM
Fuck. Devils get 1st overall pick again. Chicago has one bad year and gets a top 3 draft pick. Vancouver falls and gets a worse pick in the draft lottery for the 4th year in a row.

There is no god.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Fuck. Devils get 1st overall pick again. Chicago has one bad year and gets a top 3 draft pick. Vancouver falls and gets a worse pick in the draft lottery for the 4th year in a row.

There is no god.

The lotteries in hockey and basketball are both a joke. There has got to be a better way to do it.

Godfather
04-17-2019, 02:21 AM
Tampa went 62-16 in the regular season, one of the greatest regular seasons in NHL history, 30-9-2 on the road, 7-3 their last 10 games.... and they got SWEPT by the Blue Jackets. A team that has never won a playoff road game.

This may be one of the greatest first round upsets in sports history? I can't think of many that rival this.

Godfather
04-18-2019, 01:46 AM
LMAO so of 31,000 playoff brackets submitted to NHL.com, only 20 had CBJ sweeping Tampa, and only 1/31k has a chance at being 100% correct given both Tampa and Pitt got swept. A spoof bracket just named "Lulwut" :lol: Goofball is probably going to win $100k

https://i.imgur.com/s4Vvvmq.jpg

Godfather
04-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Yzerman is heading back to Detroit. This is just awesome for hockey, but damn this is just twisting the knife for the Lightning fans :lol:

Godfather
04-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Avs looked great this round vs the Flames. Their top line, and especially Mackinnon dominated.

Godfather
04-24-2019, 05:31 AM
Haha Bruins beat the Leafs yet again. So good.

DemonGeminiX
04-24-2019, 05:40 AM
Is the first round over yet?

DemonGeminiX
04-24-2019, 06:57 AM
One more game tonight. Game 7 Carolina v Washington.

DemonGeminiX
:thumbsup:

Thanks!

DemonGeminiX
No problem, dude.:gimme5:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Haha Bruins beat the Leafs yet again. So good.

Leafs haven't advanced out of the first round since 2004 :shock: And that's the 3rd straight time the B's have eliminated the Leafs in a game 7 (2019, 2018, and 2013). :dance:

And the '93 Habs remain the last Canadian team to win the Cup. 26 years and counting....

Is the first round over yet?

One more game tonight. Game 7 Carolina v Washington.

:thumbsup:

Thanks!

No problem, dude.:gimme5:

:nuts:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-24-2019, 12:36 PM
Damn, just read about the San Jose/Vegas game 7. :shock: Vegas up 3-0 midway through the 3rd period, then a controversial 5 minute major penalty called against Vegas and in those 5 minutes the Sharks went from 3-0 down to 4-3 in the lead. That's crazy. :shock: Still went into OT and any team could have won, but the Sharks pulled it out and now Vegas is whining about the penalty and saying the game was 'stolen' from them.

Godfather
04-25-2019, 12:33 AM
The 3rd period and OT of that Sharks game were probably the two best periods of hockey I've seen in a couple years.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2019, 10:43 AM
By Louis Casiano | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/yv996jph.jpg

Angry U.S. hockey fans watching Sunday’s playoff game between the NHL’s Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs were treated to the back of one spectator’s head when he stood in front of a television camera during the final moments of a frantic third period.

The Maple Leafs fan – identified only as Scott to protect him from threats online – opened his phone after watching his team lose 4-2 in Game 6 at Toronto's Scotiabank Arena-- and noticed something wasn't right.

"I looked on Instagram and I was at the top of my feed," he told the CBC News Network on Tuesday. Some have even said: “off with his head.”
Upset Bruin fans, including actor Rob Lowe, took to Twitter to complain about the obstructed view.

"Watching the Boston Toronto hockey game and literally all I can see is the back of somebody’s head. NBC: needs to get their act together right now," Lowe tweeted.
Scott sat two rows in front of cameras at the game. When he stood to take in the action, he unknowingly blocked a large portion of ice near Boston’s goal. NBC, which broadcast the game for U.S. viewers, said technical difficulties forced the network to switch to a replacement camera during the third period. Canadian viewers had a clear view of the game, CBC reported.

The anger many Bruin fans felt presumably subsided when the team took care of the Maple Leafs with a 5-1 win Tuesday to advance to the second round against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Godfather
04-26-2019, 06:16 AM
I think NBC knew exactly what they were doing :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFDsL_mwBY

Teh One Who Knocks
04-26-2019, 09:50 AM
What a pretty goal in OT for the B's to win the game.

Godfather
05-02-2019, 06:18 AM
A highly respected and truly unique writer in Vancouver sports media, Jason Botchford, died suddenly at age 48 this week. Left behind 3 young kids and a wife, seemed like a healthy guy too. Listened to sports radio at work a bit today and it was incredibly sad. You spend hours reading a guy's articles, seeing his great fan interaction on Twitter, listening to him on radio, and to have him pass so suddenly is awful. He recently moved to The Athletic and I signed up for a subscription just to continue reading his articles. RIP Botch. I wish you'd been able to see us win a cup.

Even Torts and some old Canucks wished their condolences today

- I am shattered. Just sitting here in a daze. I have lost the best podcasting partner a guy could ask for. Botch was also a friend, colleague, travelling companion & a driving force in #Canucks coverage. So many great memories. My sincerest sympathy to his family. #ripbotch ��

https://twitter.com/patersonjeff/status/1123618189043208192

---

- So incredibly sad. Such an incredible loss. My deepest sympathy to Jason’s family which includes those at the Athletic and TSN 1040.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1123618628748873730

---

- No words. Devastating. Heart breaking.

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1123619126906359810

---

- Deepest sympathies to the family of Jason Botchford, incredibly sad news to learn of his passing at just 48. Creative,passionate, a bit zany and so good at what he did. I loved my back-and-forth with Botch, both on and off the air.. will miss those. #RIP

https://twitter.com/rayferrarotsn/status/1123620920990490624

---

- Horrible news. No one covered the #Canucks with more passion.

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1123621054625275904

---

- He was the Batman to my Robin. I have zero words for this. I don't even know how to process this. I'm gonna miss you Botch. You had such a huge impact on my writing and were also a friend away from the writing game. I don't know what else to say or think.

https://twitter.com/TheStanchion/status/1123621155061944323

---

- This is unspeakably sad. Botch was a bright, talented spirit and is gone far too young. My condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1123619321891000320

---

- Awful. Condolences to Jason’s family and friends. Always enjoyed going back and forth with him on Vancouver radio. 48 is way too young.

https://twitter.com/tsnjamesduthie/status/1123620802010554368

---

- Would like to pass on my deepest condolences to the Botchford family. There are no words to express the right amount of sympathy towards his wife and young children. He will be greatly missed by all of us.

https://twitter.com/BlakePriceTSN/status/1123618943011188736

---

- This is so incredibly sad. Deepest condolences to his family. Devastating news.

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/1123619540754026496

---

- We are completely heartbroken at @TheAthleticNHL this week. RIP Jason - we miss you. You were an amazing colleague and friend.

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/1123618655244185600

---

- Stunned and saddened by the loss of colleague Jason Botchford. Although we often disagreed, Jason’s talent and passion as a writer were undeniable. His clarity and conviction as a reporter allowed him to connect with readers like few others. My heart goes out to Jason’s family.

https://twitter.com/imacSportsnet/status/1123622925196619776

---

- This is incredibly sad news. Condolences to his family and many, many friends.

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1123623776602787840

---

- This is absolutely heartbreaking news.
Our deepest condolences to all of Jason's family and friends.

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1123621303045513216

---

- John Tortorella starts his press briefing with condolences for Jason Botchford's family. Says he just found out about his death.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1123625609341444097

---

- This obituary captures what many of us recognized about Jason

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1123624738222297088

---

- Crestfallen for Botchford's family. Shocked and saddened by the news. RIP Botch.

https://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/status/1123628010500812801

---

- We are all deeply saddened by the passing of long-time Canucks beat reporter, Jason Botchford. Jason was an incredibly passionate and dedicated reporter who connected with Canucks fans everywhere. His loss is heart-breaking for us all. The Botchford family is in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

https://twitter.com/CanucksPR/status/1123628507043512320

---

- Shocked to hear the sad news about Jason Botchford. A well respected journalist I felt that I connected with on a personal level.
Thoughts are with his loved ones in this difficult time. Rest In Peace

https://twitter.com/eddielack/status/1123628882521759745

---

- Jason and I worked on stories together, we shared info. There was a trust level between the 2 of us. I respected his passion and ability to get information. We had heated conversations as well but respect was always there. RIP Botch and condolences to his family.

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1123631368649433088

---

- There can be insincere hyperbole when someone passes away, but in the case of Jason, I truly can’t think of a beat writer for any sport that covered their game like Botch. The Provies and Athletties were mandatory reading. Even for the rest of us covering the same game!

https://twitter.com/BlakePriceTSN/status/1123632629041917952

DemonGeminiX
05-02-2019, 06:40 AM
:rip:

Godfather
05-07-2019, 05:48 AM
Damn Lance, your B's are buzzing. I think Rask's 39 save shutout tonight might've been one of the best goalie performances of these playoffs, maybe one of the best of his career? Should be a good round vs the Hurricanes next!

Also holy shit:

In a collective 263 minutes playing against Patrice Bergeron..... Tavares, Marner, Panarin, Atkinson, Matthews, Jenner, and Duchene have been on-ice for a combined 4 goals

Teh One Who Knocks
05-07-2019, 10:31 AM
First time in the conference finals in 6 years :cheers:

Carolina is playing great though, this one will be a tough series.

Godfather
05-09-2019, 05:57 AM
That offside no-goal called against the Avs made me roll my eyes. Sure, it's offside by the rules because Gabe hadn't quite got off the ice onto the bench... but it really had no impact on the play IMO. These play reviews are out of hand and it sounds like they may keep adding more.

Go back to no offside video review, and no goalie interference video review. The refs call can stand for everything except whether the puck actually crossed the goal line if their view was obstructed. These play reviews are boring and usually meaningless to the actual goal if the ref couldn't see it clearly with their own eyes in the first place.

If someone was a half step offside and play continued for 30 seconds before scoring, what fucking difference does it make? If a linesman standing on the blue line couldn't spot it, then they got away with it. End of.

Mark my words, we're going to have a team on the ice celebrating a huge moment, sticks and gloves everywhere, only to have a goal called back for something stupid and it's going to be a really bad look for the league. Already happened in a women's tourny this year.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2019, 12:29 PM
I love Marchand :lol: Yeah, he walks that line between being a dirty player (and he does cross that line sometimes) but he's the kinda player you love when he's on your team. If he was anything but a Bruin, I would hate his guts :lol:

While Marchand is a very skilled and productive player -- he led the Bruins with 100 points this season -- he's also an astute pest that knows how to get an opponent to lose their cool, sometimes via dirty and cheap tactics. Last round, Marchand found himself in some hot water when he stomped on the stick blade of Blue Jackets forward Cam Atkinson, then again later when he delivered a cheap shot to the back of the head of defenseman Scott Harrington. Marchand wasn't disciplined for either of those incidents, either.

As we see so often in hockey, the initial crime often goes unseen while the retaliation gets the attention of officials. Nobody knows this better than Marchand, and he used it to his advantage on Sunday afternoon.

Godfather
05-14-2019, 01:27 AM
:lol: That's exactly how I'd feel if he were on my time. Kind of a piece of shit, but hilarious, great for the game, and incredible talent to back up his shenanigans. Only thing I'd change about him is that I do wish he'd actually drop the gloves more often when he does something really dirty.

Boston absolutely dummied the Canes last night, holy.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Interference? Really? The officiating in the playoffs this year has been all over the fucking place.

Godfather
05-16-2019, 05:08 AM
Ugh... I've watched a lot of hockey since they started reviewing goalie interference and I have less idea than ever what the actual rule is. This is fucking stupid.

Godfather
05-16-2019, 06:45 AM
Oh and the Sharks won tonight on a clear hand-pass. That is non-reviewable...

EDIT: Oh god they gave him an assist for the hand pass, but cut it out of the gif of the goal in the NHL's own instagram account :rofl: Fix your shit NHL

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2019, 10:10 AM
:facepalm:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2019, 10:13 AM
by Pete Blackburn - CBS Sports

Here we are again: Another case of controversial officiating in the Stanley Cup playoffs, and another situation in which the San Jose Sharks have benefited from that officiating.

The Sharks won Game 3 of their Western Conference Final series against the St. Louis Blues on Wednesday night, doing so in overtime as Erik Karlsson scored his second goal of the game to give San Jose the 5-4 victory. But Karlsson's goal was made possible by an apparent hand pass from teammate Timo Meier, who swatted the puck out of mid-air to help his team gain possession and set up Karlsson's winner.

After Meier batted down the puck with an open hand, Gustav Nyquist collected it and dished to Karlsson for the one-timer to end it.
The issue here is that officials should have blown the whistle after Nyquist touched the puck following Meier's hand pass. The NHL rulebook allows some discretion by the on-ice officials, but it's pretty clear that Meier's swat provided the Sharks with an advantage that allowed them to retain possession in the attacking zone.

By the language of the rulebook, it certainly seems like this should have been ruled a hand pass and there should have been a stoppage, even if the puck grazed the leg of a Blues defender before Nyquist gathered possession.
Unfortunately, apparently no member of the on-ice officiating crew saw the play unfold and, as a result, it was ruled a good goal on the ice. And even more unfortunately for the Blues, the hand pass rule isn't reviewable after the fact. St. Louis players furiously protested the call while the officials briefly huddled, then proceeded to timidly skate off the ice.

After the game, Blues coach Craig Berube was understandably irked by the call, but he didn't seem eager to talk about it.
It'll be interesting to see if the NHL releases a statement (or apology) addressing the end of the game. The league apologized earlier in this postseason and admitted that officials wrongly gave Vegas Golden Knights forward Cody Eakin a cross-checking major in Game 7 of their first-round series against the Sharks. Eakin's major paved the way for the Sharks to score four goals on the ensuing power play, allowing them to climb back in the game and eventually win in overtime.

The Sharks also got a major break in Game 7 of their second-round series against the Colorado Avalanche when the Avs had the potential game-tying goal wiped off the board thanks to a controversial offside call in the second period. The Sharks narrowly won that game to punch their ticket to the West final.

Godfather
05-17-2019, 02:48 AM
Wow, Rask is a fucking wall. Five goals allowed in a four game sweep. The Canes just could not figure him out. Good luck to whoever faces them from the West. Should be an excellent final either way, but I'm hoping the Sharks can beat the Blues personally.

Godfather
05-17-2019, 02:50 AM
Hah... the refs from Game 3 Sharks game won't officiate the rest of the playoffs. That's about the best you can really offer up until the offseason when they need to fix some shit. It says something though that that team of refs/linesmen was apparently their highest rated group all season. These mistakes happen but when you review shit all game long and then can't review a huge goal like that, something is broken.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2019, 09:26 AM
12 down, 4 to go :woot:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2019, 09:28 AM
Wow, Rask is a fucking wall. Five goals allowed in a four game sweep. The Canes just could not figure him out. Good luck to whoever faces them from the West. Should be an excellent final either way, but I'm hoping the Sharks can beat the Blues personally.

Worst problem the Bruins have now will be the layoff, especially with a hot goaltender right now. Rask is one of those streaky goalies and having him sit for a week or more without facing real action could hurt.

And I'm rooting for the Blues, the Sharks don't deserve to be in the playoffs anymore let alone make the finals because of all the referee assistance they've received. And it will be a rematch of the 1970 Stanley Cup finals if it's the Blues...back when this happened:

https://youtu.be/8BvCyBV_PoU

https://i.imgur.com/wNFyDyg.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2019, 01:44 PM
Bxjuy1rAzAk

Godfather
05-18-2019, 01:06 AM
I know that Orr pic so well but I couldn't have even told you it was the Blues they beat :lol: If you're not first, you're last - Ricky Bobby

Godfather
05-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Dammit Boston :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/UBfWKPq.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
05-20-2019, 12:15 PM
:lol:

Since the turn of the century:

2001 - New England Patriots
2003 - New England Patriots
2004 - New England Patriots
2004 - Boston Red Sox
2007 - Boston Red Sox
2008 - Boston Celtics
2013 - Boston Bruins
2013 - Boston Red Sox
2014 - New England Patriots
2016 - New England Patriots
2018 - New England Patriots
2018 - Boston Red Sox

Godfather
05-26-2019, 08:57 PM
Congrats to Finland on WC Gold!

Godfather
05-26-2019, 08:58 PM

Since the turn of the century:

2001 - New England Patriots
2003 - New England Patriots
2004 - New England Patriots
2004 - Boston Red Sox
2007 - Boston Red Sox
2008 - Boston Celtics
2013 - Boston Bruins
2013 - Boston Red Sox
2014 - New England Patriots
2016 - New England Patriots
2018 - New England Patriots
2018 - Boston Red Sox

Unreal.

Bruins won the Cup in 2011 not '13 though. That series is forever burned in my memory :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Unreal.

Bruins won the Cup in 2011 not '13 though. That series is forever burned in my memory :lol:

I should have caught that, I was just copying it all over from another site. :doh:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-28-2019, 02:28 PM
Last night was the first time in franchise history that the Bruins have come back from a multiple goal deficit to win the game in the Stanley Cup finals. :shock:

RBP
05-28-2019, 03:34 PM
As much as I dislike the Blues, I have to pull for them. 49 years since they made it this far and they've never won.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-28-2019, 03:37 PM
As much as I dislike the Blues, I have to pull for them. 49 years since they made it this far and they've never won.

They haven't even won a game yet in the finals. After last night, they're 0-13.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-28-2019, 03:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qRnOAVdGEM

Godfather
05-29-2019, 02:38 AM

I'm in the same boat, they're full of Canadians, never won a cup, so I've got to cheer for them. If I gambled on hockey I'd bet Bruins in 6 though. Obviously they've got experience, goaltending, I think they're a bit deeper on offence, and the Refs have put their whistles away so the Bruins are just going to dog them like they did to us in 2011 :lol:

Blues fans are nuts though, I didn't appreciate how crazy they were.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2019, 09:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKvfNKx-r8U

Godfather
06-11-2019, 05:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKvfNKx-r8U

I know this is an unpopular opinion most places online, but I have a huge soft spot for Portnoy and his continual appearances on Tucker Carlson are hilarious :lol:

The guys are Barstool are sort of college frat boy douche bags... but they make me laugh, guilty pleasure, and the shit people point to as sexist or racist is all overblown old bullshit.

RBP
06-11-2019, 06:07 AM
I'm in the same boat, they're full of Canadians, never won a cup, so I've got to cheer for them. If I gambled on hockey I'd bet Bruins in 6 though. Obviously they've got experience, goaltending, I think they're a bit deeper on offence, and the Refs have put their whistles away so the Bruins are just going to dog them like they did to us in 2011 :lol:

Blues fans are nuts though, I didn't appreciate how crazy they were.

They are. Have you ever heard my (deceased) brother's story about a blues fan's trip to the old Chicago Stadium?

Godfather
06-11-2019, 07:01 AM
They are. Have you ever heard my (deceased) brother's story about a blues fan's trip to the old Chicago Stadium?

I have not, mind retyping or linking it? :lol:

DemonGeminiX
06-13-2019, 02:54 AM
I guess I'm happy the Blues won. They had some former Flyers on their team. Or one. Brayden Schenn.

RBP
06-13-2019, 05:31 AM
I have not, mind retyping or linking it? :lol:

My brother was a UAW guy, and moved as the plants closed. His was in St Louis at the time, and a guy he worked with was all rowdy one day, talking about his upcoming trip to Chicago for a Blues/Blackhawks game. This was at the old Chicago Stadium, which was a loud aggressive venue in a shitty neighborhood. My brother calmly asked where they were sitting. "3rd Balcony". Bro got wide eyed. "Listen, all kidding aside, do NOT go into the third balcony at that stadium and start shit. It will not be pretty". He responded "Fuck those Blackhawk fans". My brother just shrugged. Those of us who grew up in that stadium knew the third balcony of that stadium was the cheap seats, the drunk seats, the fight seats. It was a different era. One night I rode in a van full of guys, blazing the whole way in, rolling out like cheech and chong, and the beer vendors would serve us double and triple-fisted. Insane by today's standards. And fights, always fights...

So the dude returns to St Louis. He was an asshole in the 3rd balcony of the Chicago stadium and paid the price. Bloodied, bruised, and ego in check. My brother just shook his head and laughed. "I tried to tell you..."

RBP
06-13-2019, 05:33 AM
I guess I'm happy the Blues won. They had some former Flyers on their team. Or one. Brayden Schenn.

Plus an epic first win for that city. Amazing.

Godfather
06-13-2019, 06:16 AM
My brother was a UAW guy, and moved as the plants closed. His was in St Louis at the time, and a guy he worked with was all rowdy one day, talking about his upcoming trip to Chicago for a Blues/Blackhawks game. This was at the old Chicago Stadium, which was a loud aggressive venue in a shitty neighborhood. My brother calmly asked where they were sitting. "3rd Balcony". Bro got wide eyed. "Listen, all kidding aside, do NOT go into the third balcony at that stadium and start shit. It will not be pretty". He responded "Fuck those Blackhawk fans". My brother just shrugged. Those of us who grew up in that stadium knew the third balcony of that stadium was the cheap seats, the drunk seats, the fight seats. It was a different era. One night I rode in a van full of guys, blazing the whole way in, rolling out like cheech and chong, and the beer vendors would serve us double and triple-fisted. Insane by today's standards. And fights, always fights...

So the dude returns to St Louis. He was an asshole in the 3rd balcony of the Chicago stadium and paid the price. Bloodied, bruised, and ego in check. My brother just shook his head and laughed. "I tried to tell you..."

:rofl: What a dummy, that's hilarious.

I wish hockey still had some of that grit and grassroots culture in the fans. It's a god damn library here at Rogers Arena when the Nucks play.... I went to a game in Edmonton (rougher town than Van) in their old stadium a few years back. It was 10x more lively than what we get. No fights, but still roudy.

Godfather
06-13-2019, 06:33 AM
Well that was a helluva series. Congrats to the Blues, last place in January, winning the cup with a rookie, a team with almost entirely first time cup champs. Fun to watch.

RBP
06-13-2019, 06:41 AM
:rofl: What a dummy, that's hilarious.

I wish hockey still had some of that grit and grassroots culture in the fans. It's a god damn library here at Rogers Arena when the Nucks play.... I went to a game in Edmonton (rougher town than Van) in their old stadium a few years back. It was 10x more lively than what we get. No fights, but still roudy.

Toxic masculinity is verboten.

Godfather
06-20-2019, 01:22 AM
Canucks rookie Elias Pettersson won the Calder. First time we've had a winner since 1992. So excited to have this kid on our team. He even mentioned Jason Botchford who was a great member of our media that recently passed away far too young. Class act.

Godfather
06-22-2019, 02:17 AM
Nucks drafted a Russian kid with their 10th overall pick. On one hand, hockey guys are happy because they feel he was underrated. On the other... we've already had a Russian kid leave our organization in the past couple years, it's nothing new, they just like playing in the KHL, the money is still decent, they don't seem to acclimatize to North America as well as other Europeans. I'm not thrilled to see us draft Russians unless they're total superstars.

DemonGeminiX
06-22-2019, 04:21 PM
How's the Flyer's pick? Is he any good?

Godfather
06-22-2019, 04:54 PM
How's the Flyer's pick? Is he any good?

I was really impressed with what the Flyers did, I think a lot of people are. You guys traded your 11th pick for 14 & 45, gambling that the guy they wanted, Cameron York, would still be there and sure enough he was. The kid was ranked 4th or 5th in defense-men in this draft but I've seen his style described as highly offensive and 'game breaking,' so obviously they liked something about him and felt they could steal him a bit later on in the draft. Obviously it'll take a few more years to develop a d-man than a forward, but I think your organization needs offensive-defense quite badly. Cam York is being compared to Keith Yandle (who is my favorite d-man in the league)

Godfather
06-22-2019, 04:56 PM
Subban traded to the Devils for two prospects, and two second round picks, interesting.

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2019, 08:26 AM
Alright, who really got the King's ransom in this draft? I don't know any of these kids, and the columnists always seem like they want to suck every draft pick off (in every sport's draft, really). So, who got the scary good kids this year?

Godfather
06-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Alright, who really got the King's ransom in this draft? I don't know any of these kids, and the columnists always seem like they want to suck every draft pick off (in every sport's draft, really). So, who got the scary good kids this year?

The kid who went first overall is a beast, Jack Hughes, went to the Devils (they also traded for PK Subban yesterday so they're improving but still suck). Canucks have his older brother and he's an incredible hockey player too. There's also a younger brother who's as good. Just hockey in that family's DNA. The Hughes brothers I suspect are going to be dominating the league for the next decade.

The kid who went second, Kaapo Kakko, to the Rangers was super impressive in the World Juniors, he could end up being better than Hughes, impossible to say.

The next 10 or so picks all seem good, it was considered a deep draft, but none of these analysts really know shit. Only time will tell. Every draft class has kids go in the First who won't play more than a handful of games.

Godfather
06-25-2019, 05:26 AM
Looking at this draft further, this US National Development program is the reason US hockey is going to overtake Canadians - not in terms of numbers, but in terms of superstars which I'd argue is far bigger.

If you're not familiar, the US National Development Program put this team together of top young prospects and they play out of Michigan. They form two teams (U-17 and U-18) and play games in several leagues (it's a bit confusing): the US Hockey League which granted is generally not as good as the league where our prospects play up in Canada (the CHL), as well as playing games against NCAA teams, and thirdly in international games and tournaments like the World Juniors. This is much different from the rest of the world who generally form World Junior teams like 'all-star' teams pulling them from their respective clubs for the big tournaments.

Anyways, this USNDP had 5guys from their team drafted in the top 10 of this yea'rs draft, a new record for the most from one team. They had an additional 3 players go in the first round, and in total 17 of their players were drafted the past weekend.

That's unbelievable. I don't know that Canada can copy this formula even if they want to either due to economics. The CHL where our kids play is a arguably a professional league (the kids aren't paid, but the teams are privately owned for-profit - hence the reason the NCAA bans their players, which is a whole separate controversy). Pulling all the top prospects in order to form a super-team might not fly up here, but for the NHL what the US is doing is huge and exciting.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-04-2019, 10:54 AM
https://i.imgur.com/xf5AaGwh.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
09-25-2019, 12:17 PM
Hard to believe we're only a week away from opening day for the NHL.

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2019, 12:39 PM
I had no idea.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-25-2019, 12:43 PM
Me either, I only know because I saw a story about the Bruins getting ready for their preseason finale against Chicago.

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2019, 02:02 PM
I have no idea how the Flyers' chances are looking. Maybe I should ask GF?

:-k

Teh One Who Knocks
09-25-2019, 04:31 PM

https://i.imgur.com/aI0Hwks.png

Just got this in an e-mail from NHL.com

Godfather
09-26-2019, 03:05 AM

I'd wager you guys make the playoffs. Shame that Nolan is hurt, as is Morgan Frost but hopefully that's not long term. You've still got a wicked first line with G and Couterier, and Konecy, and then probably a second line of Kevin Hayes (great new addition) Vorachek and JVR. I think Carter Hart in net is underrated in net as he's only 21. You have some solid D too including Shayne Gostisbehere.

Oh and Alain Vigneault is coaching for you now... easily my favorite Canucks coach of all time. I think you'll love him in interviews, he's a character and has brought several teams very close to a Cup.

Flyers should still be one of the funnest teams in the league to watch.

Godfather
09-26-2019, 04:48 AM
https://i.imgur.com/aI0Hwks.png

Just got this in an e-mail from NHL.com

I love behind the scenes shit like this, the NHL needs more personality so I've got all the time in the world for this kind of show. Hopefully I can find this show in Canada.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-26-2019, 09:51 AM
I love behind the scenes shit like this, the NHL needs more personality so I've got all the time in the world for this kind of show. Hopefully I can find this show in Canada.

You guys don't have the NHL Network up there?

DemonGeminiX
09-26-2019, 10:04 AM
I don't have the NHL network currently, but I'm sure I could "borrow" it from somewhere.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Either the Bruins or the Avalanche have to be good this season or else it will be a long winter of my teams sucking....after a long summer of both the Rox and BoSox sucking :|

DemonGeminiX
09-29-2019, 05:21 AM
There's still the NBA. :dunno:

Godfather
10-01-2019, 06:26 AM
You guys don't have the NHL Network up there?

It looked like the episode was blocked on NHL Network for some reason, but they released episode 1 on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPuruCAso4w

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2019, 11:32 AM
So Chicago and Philly are playing their first game in the Czech Republic. Interesting.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2019, 11:36 AM
No local team on TV here this season to start. The Altitude Sports Network carries all Avalanche and Nuggets games here and they are in a contract dispute with the Big 3, Comcast, Dish, and DirectTV. All three dropped the network when the contract expired last month because all three say that the network wants too much money to be broadcast while the Big 3 say that Altitude is a minor network that brings very little revenue. So, no hockey or basketball to start the season(s) in the Mountain West region.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2019, 11:56 AM
And unless they get this solved and it gets REALLY drawn out, it will affect Rockies games next season as Altitude carries the Rox...and it also carries the Mammoth (Denver's pro indoor lacrosse team) as well.

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2019, 03:38 PM
No local team on TV here this season to start. The Altitude Sports Network carries all Avalanche and Nuggets games here and they are in a contract dispute with the Big 3, Comcast, Dish, and DirectTV. All three dropped the network when the contract expired last month because all three say that the network wants too much money to be broadcast while the Big 3 say that Altitude is a minor network that brings very little revenue. So, no hockey or basketball to start the season(s) in the Mountain West region.

And unless they get this solved and it gets REALLY drawn out, it will affect Rockies games next season as Altitude carries the Rox...and it also carries the Mammoth (Denver's pro indoor lacrosse team) as well.

Aren't there other ways to get your local area sports on TV or the web?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Aren't there other ways to get your local area sports on TV or the web?

Nope, Altitude is the exclusive home of the Avalanche and Nuggets, the channel is owned by the owner of the Nuggets and Avalanche (the Rockies could always jump ship if they wanted to do so since they aren't under that ownership umbrella). And Altitude at this point doesn't do any streaming. And can't watch the Avalanche even if you paid for the NHL hockey package that gets you every game because they always black out the local market games.

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2019, 06:36 PM
So basically, the owner's a fuckin' dick.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2019, 06:46 PM
So basically, the owner's a fuckin' dick.

He's trying to say that the Big 3 are trying to rip Altitude Sports off by lowballing the network.

https://kdvr.com/2019/10/03/dispute-between-major-cable-networks-and-altitude-leads-to-blackout-of-avs-games-in-denver-tv-market/

I hate to say it but, I actually believe Comcast and Dish in this one. I'm thinking that this small regional sports network is trying to demand ESPN or FOX Sports type money from them.

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2019, 07:26 PM
The little networks are always in disputes with the big dogs.

Godfather
10-04-2019, 05:04 AM

That's absolute horseshit.

And you know what the $140 a year online NHL subscription gets you? 50+ blacked out local games.

So with that said, here you go :lol: https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLStreams/

Sometimes the quality sucks (obviously) but better than nothing if you can be bothered with online streams. They almost always have active streams for any NHL game.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2019, 11:47 AM

And you know what the $140 a year online NHL subscription gets you? 50+ blacked out local games.

Sometimes the quality sucks (obviously) but better than nothing if you can be bothered with online streams. They almost always have active streams for any NHL game.

I was looking for online streaming options for my Roku that I could watch on my TV, I don't want to watch it on a small screen if I'm going to watch a game, and I came across this: https://www.hockeytv.com/schedule/elite?date=2019-10-04

It's not pro hockey, but it's all things amateur and minor league. If you want ALL the games (which there appears to be about a bazillion per day) it runs $30/month, but there are quite a few games that are free as well. Might be worth looking into when there's nothing on TV and you feel like watching a good ol' hockey game.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2019, 11:55 AM

And what sucks even worse about this are the poor sports bars. There are a few in downtown Denver as well as some in the 'burbs that are hockey bars and they make most of their money during hockey season. Now they have absolutely no way to show the games on TV. Right now about the only way to see an Avalanche game in Colorado now is to go to a game, which most people can't afford to do.

Cheapest seats at Pepsi Center in the lower level are $109/each and that's straight back behind the nets. Anywhere in between the goal lines will start at $145/each. Cheapest seats in the barn are last row, upper deck, straight back behind the nets, and those are $37/each. Add in $20+ for parking if you want to be anywhere close to the arena, $9 beers and $8 hot dogs and you are looking at a minimum of $120/$130 for 2 people to go see a game in the worst seats possible. :|

Teh One Who Knocks
10-09-2019, 12:39 PM
So the Bruins are 3-0-0 and that's their best start in 18 seasons :-k

DemonGeminiX
10-09-2019, 01:42 PM
So... it's time they start losing. :yup:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Well, they are playing the Avalanche here tomorrow night. If only I had a spare couple of hundred bucks I could go to the game :meh:

DemonGeminiX
10-09-2019, 01:54 PM
With your luck, they'd both lose that game. Don't ask me how that could be accomplished. A 0-0 tie maybe?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-09-2019, 02:04 PM
I wonder when the last 0-0 tie was? :-k

With the moronic shootout format for tie breakers, ties themselves are already rare enough.

DemonGeminiX
10-09-2019, 02:56 PM
https://www.nhl.com/news/this-date-in-nhl-history-december-24/c-285000964

Teh One Who Knocks
10-09-2019, 03:13 PM
That's not the last tie, just a tie.

DemonGeminiX
10-09-2019, 03:47 PM
I'm reading forum posts elsewhere that said that the last one was January 8, 2003... Blackhawks vs Coyotes.

The Minnesota Wild had one in 2000 against the Florida Panthers.

Apparently, they're not as uncommon as one might think.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-09-2019, 03:50 PM
Uncommon enough that there hasn't been one in 16 years :lol: That's over 20,000 total games played (not including the post season)

DemonGeminiX
10-09-2019, 03:56 PM
There's supposedly like 200 or 300 of them.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-09-2019, 04:02 PM
There's supposedly like 200 or 300 of them.

About as common (roughly) as the no hitter in baseball (303 total no hitters pitched with 260 of them in the modern era (1901 and forward))...although baseball has been around longer and does play more games.

DemonGeminiX
10-10-2019, 10:06 AM
The Flyers beat the Devils last night in Philly's home opener, 4 - 0.

Godfather
10-12-2019, 07:52 PM
Episode 3 of Behind the Glass: Philadelphia Flyers Training Camp is up on youtube. Pretty good series.

DemonGeminiX
10-17-2019, 04:44 AM
The Flyers got torn up by the Oilers last night.

Godfather
10-17-2019, 06:08 AM
Oilers are finally good... They're 6-1. Scary.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-21-2019, 05:22 PM
https://i.imgur.com/IfoRPCK.jpg

Godfather
10-22-2019, 06:52 AM
https://i.imgur.com/IfoRPCK.jpg

So awesome :lol: If I was one of these guys I'd make the drawing my social media profile pic

Godfather
10-22-2019, 06:59 AM
John Carlson has 18 points in 10 games... leading the league, as a d-man. That's unreal. Bobby Orr & Paul Coffey are the only two d-men to have done it. I doubt he'll maintain all season but a defenseman hasn't won the Art Ross for points lead since 1975!

Godfather
10-26-2019, 06:36 AM
Nucks blew a 5-1 lead in the 3rd tonight. Always fun being a Canucks fan. At least it was against the Capitals, they're looking damn good again this year.

Godfather
10-30-2019, 06:29 AM
David Pastrnak has 24 points in 12 games :lol: That's so awesome. I'm so glad the league found ways to bring scoring back in the last few years. Tough time to be a goalie but great for fans.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-30-2019, 10:28 AM
David Pastrnak has 24 points in 12 games :lol: That's so awesome. I'm so glad the league found ways to bring scoring back in the last few years. Tough time to be a goalie but great for fans.

Bruins are looking really good to start the season. No Cup loss hangover at all.

Godfather
11-07-2019, 06:00 AM
Holy shit. Bryan Little took a slapshot from a teammate in the helmet and suffered a brain bleed (also needed 25-30 zippers in his head but that's superficial). Reports are that he's going to be okay, but that's scary as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=0hQ4LweSe_Y

DemonGeminiX
11-07-2019, 07:30 AM
That's a bad day at work.

DemonGeminiX
11-11-2019, 11:20 PM
So I'm reading that Don Cherry was fired...

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2019, 11:13 AM
So I'm reading that Don Cherry was fired...

Yup, the PC crowd/SJW's got him:

Canadian hockey analyst Don Cherry fired over anti-immigrant comments
By Thomas Barrabi | FOXBusiness

https://i.imgur.com/J1l4CeT.jpg

Canada’s Sportsnet fired legendary hockey broadcaster and analyst Don Cherry on Monday, days after he sparked widespread outrage during a live segment for accusing Canadian immigrants of failing to honor the country’s fallen military veterans.

“Sports brings people together – it unites us, not divides us. Following further discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night’s broadcast, it has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down,” Sportsnet president Bart Yabsley said in a statement. “During the broadcast, he made divisive remarks that do not represent our values or what we stand for.”

A fixture on Canadian television for the last four decades, Cherry, 85, hosted the “Coach’s Corner” segment on Sportsnet’s flagship program, “Hockey Night in America.” Cherry’s show, which airs during the first intermission of nightly hockey games, is the highest-rated programming on Canadian television, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Sportsnet holds the exclusive right to broadcast NHL games in Canada. During his “Coach’s Corner” segment last Saturday night, Cherry said he noticed immigrants were not wearing poppies to honor Canadian soldiers.
"You people love — they come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey," Cherry said. "The least you could pay is a couple of bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys pay for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys pay the biggest price.”

Cherry faced immediate criticism for the remark. The NHL said his comments were “offensive and contrary to the values we believe in,” while Sportsnet’s Yabsley said Cherry’s “discriminatory comments are offensive and they do not represent our values and what we stand for as a network.”
Cherry has yet to comment on his firing.

“Don is synonymous with hockey and has played an integral role in growing the game over the past 40 years. We would like to thank Don for his contributions to hockey and sports broadcasting in Canada,” Yabsley added.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Honestly, I have no problem with what he said.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2019, 12:33 PM
By Joe Warmington - The Toronto Sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKh6uJEDd5I

Don Cherry has been fired before.

“Of course it’s always hard but after you have been fired by the Boston Bruins, you can handle anything,” teased Grapes after Rogers Sportsnet tied the can to him for remarks he didn’t say but that people have put in his mouth as if he did.

But even though he said he has “no problem” with leaving his Coach’s Corner desk after almost 40 years, Don admits it came on the wrong day.

“On Remembrance Day, of all days,” the 85-year-old Cherry said in an interview.

“I just hope it doesn’t get more coverage than the ceremonies.”

And he insisted I not blow off my column on the Cenotaph ceremony at Old City Hall because of this breaking news.

The other thing that Cherry didn’t like about his firing were some of the words used by Sportsnet President Bart Yabsley in his statement.

At the bottom of his statement, he said Cherry made “divisive remarks that do not represent our values,” and “Don is synonymous with hockey and has played an integral role in growing the game over the past 40 years. ”

Said Cherry: “You know what that last part reminds me of? It reminds of when a coach pulls a goalie in a game and then tells the press he did great. Goalies will always say if I did so great, why did you pull me?”

Added Grapes: “I don’t think those comments should be in there. If I was integral to hockey then why are they firing me?”

Obviously, Cherry was integral to Hockey Night in Canada for decades, bringing in a lot of money for the franchise with his first period intermission segment.

Somehow they decided that clumsy words of encouragement for all Canadians to buy and wear a poppy was time to kick him down the stairs.

“I don’t feel any different about it,” said Cherry.

“People should be supporting the fallen more than they do.”

Another thing that is bothering him is the way his sidekick Ron MacLean didn’t stick up for him while protecting his own hide.

He said that betrayal hurt him.

“Well, yeah. After 35 years I guess so,” said Cherry.

“I had one friend call and say he’s ‘Judas’ but I don’t really want to be too hard on him.

“But I was surprised.”

MacLean has not responded to requests for comment, but I feel I need to remind him that when he was fired twice by Hockey Night in Canada, Don was behind the scenes laying the ground for him to come back — which he did.

While Don may be taking this firing in stride, his wife of 20 years Luba isn’t.

“She has been my rock in this,” said Cherry.

“She’s the one who has stuck with me.”

Godfather
11-20-2019, 03:50 AM
I guess the "you people" did him in but I think all he was really trying to say is everyone should wear a poppy and show respect.

I always feared they'd can Don like this, can't believe it happened over poppies on Remembrance Day. This guy has advocated more for the troops and first responders, whole heartedly, than any Canadian alive today. This is wrong the way they canned him, it's cancel culture again. He should be given a real farewell if Sportsnet doesn't have the nuts to back an 85 year old man when he's (intentionally) being misunderstood. Whole thing is just sad and disappointing.

DemonGeminiX
11-20-2019, 03:39 PM
I guess the "you people" did him in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99IoN2pymfE

Godfather
11-24-2019, 07:42 PM
Keith Yandle lost 9 teeth to a puck last night. Spent this morning in the dental chair and will be playing at 5pm :lol:

DemonGeminiX
12-12-2019, 12:23 AM
Bruins @ Capitals on NBCSN right now. Flyers @ Avalanche after.

DemonGeminiX
12-12-2019, 02:43 AM
Washington 3
Boston 2

DemonGeminiX
12-12-2019, 05:18 AM
Avalanche 3
Flyers 1

Wish I didn't watch this. Now I'm in a bad mood.

Godfather
12-12-2019, 07:08 AM
Don't feel too bad, the Avs are 3rd in the league overall right now, they've only lost 8 games. Flyers are still looking like a playoff team!

Godfather
12-14-2019, 09:41 PM
Damn. Flyers forward Oskar Lindblom has been diagnosed with Ewing’s sarcoma which is a rare form cancer

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flyers-forward-oskar-lindblom-diagnosed-cancer/

Apparently the treatment is intense and aggressive and may involve removal of bone in his leg. Praying for a recovery and a return to hockey but it's not good.

DemonGeminiX
12-14-2019, 10:22 PM
That's fucking awful. The most extreme treatment for that is amputation, depending on where it's located.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2019, 03:08 PM
https://i.imgur.com/7IcCTDul.jpg

The SJW's are coming....

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2019, 11:21 PM
The SJW's are coming....

Let them come. They'll just get cross-checked head-first into the boards, eh.

Godfather
12-18-2019, 06:59 AM
It's an economics problem. Hockey is STUPID expensive, and to make it all the way to the NHL (which like 0.01 of kids do obviously), you need a shit ton of money. Gear, ice time, league fees, private lessons... it's insane. It's really no wonder you see so many 2nd and 3rd gen NHL'ers, not only is that experience helpful but the money is a huge driver. I think you have to acknowledge that basically every black NHL'er including current ones has experienced racist slurs thrown at them growing up and that's horrible, but I think the far bigger issue is the cost barrier. Not sure how you tackle that, it's just getting more expensive, and more competitive.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-18-2019, 03:38 PM
It's an economics problem. Hockey is STUPID expensive, and to make it all the way to the NHL (which like 0.01 of kids do obviously), you need a shit ton of money. Gear, ice time, league fees, private lessons... it's insane. It's really no wonder you see so many 2nd and 3rd gen NHL'ers, not only is that experience helpful but the money is a huge driver. I think you have to acknowledge that basically every black NHL'er including current ones has experienced racist slurs thrown at them growing up and that's horrible, but I think the far bigger issue is the cost barrier. Not sure how you tackle that, it's just getting more expensive, and more competitive.

:privilege:

Godfather
12-24-2019, 02:35 AM
NBC suspends Jeremy Roenick for inappropriate comments on podcast

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1912645

On the podcast, Roenick discussed a vacation to Portugal when he and his wife traveled with co-worker Kathryn Tappen, and he made multiple references to the three having sex together.

"I play it off like we're going to bed together every night, the three of us," Roenick said. "If it really came to fruition, that would be really good, but it's never going to happen."

Roenick went on to say Tappen is "one of the most professional sports personalities I know."

Later in the episode, Roenick discussed fellow NHL on NBC panelists and former NHLers Patrick Sharp and Anson Carter.

Roenick called Sharp beautiful, saying "I'd have to think about it if he asked me."

"I wouldn't say no right away," he added.

"It's good to have a beautiful face that talks well that knows the game because it's totally the opposite when me and Anson get on there," Roenick continued.

Roenick has been with NBC since 2010. He was hired shortly after his 20-year playing career ended.

This is my favorite podcast so I listened to the episode. JR and his wife went on vacation with his co-host and close friend NBC host Kathyn Tappen. While his comments were cheeky... they're close friends and it was all said very, very tongue-in-cheek. He then went on to praise her (as the article mentions) with the utmost sincerity.

This is a joke, probably fueled by mainstream hatred of Barstool... NBC are losers.

Godfather
02-08-2020, 08:27 AM
The battle for the Calder trophy for rookie of the year looks like it's between two young d-men... I haven't googled it but I'm sure it hasn't happened in a very long time, if ever? Cale Makar from the Avs will probably win, he's at 40 points in less games than Quinn Hughes from our Canucks who's also tied as of today at 40 points but is a bit younger. They're both so good. It's been so fun to see a d-man on the Nucks this good offensively, I don't think we've ever had a defenseman nearly as good at moving the puck and scoring.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Last time the Bruins had a Calder Trophy winner that really turned out to be a superstar was Ray Bourque and that was 40 years ago :sad2:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-10-2020, 02:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMv3-zP--oo

Godfather
02-12-2020, 05:06 AM
Jay Bouwmeester collapsed on the bench tonight during a game. Scary stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8aPnVAEEoY

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2020, 04:44 PM
Jim Thomas - The St. Louis Post-Dispatch

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Veteran Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester was conscious and alert in an Orange, Calif., hospital after suffering a cardiac episode and collapsing as he sat on the bench during the first period of the team's game with the Anaheiim Ducks on Tuesday night.

Bouwmeester had just completed a shift with the game tied 1-1 at Honda Center. As Blues players skated to the bench during a TV timeout, Bouwmeester collapsed.

Teammates Vince Dunn and Alex Pietrangelo were near Bouwmeester at the time and when they saw what happened they started waving frantically for medical help.

Players from both teams watched from the ice as Blues medical trainers and Anaheim trainers and physicians rushed to Bouwmeester's aid.

Bouwmeester was rushed to a nearby hospital with his father Dan by his side. It was the team's Dads' Trip, so 21 fathers (or in a couple of cases friends or relatives) accompanied the players on this two-game road trip.

A couple of hours later, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong issued a statement released by the team:

"With 7:50 remaining in the first period of our game tonight, Jay Bouwmeester suffered a cardiac episode and collapsed on our bench after completing his shift. Thankfully, with the quick response of our medical trainers, Anaheim medical trainers and their team physicians, they were able to stabilize Jay.

"He was alert and moving all of his extremities as he was transported to UC Irvine Medical Center. Currently, Jay is conscious and alert as he undergoes further testing by Anaheim's physicians. We will update Jay's condition on Wednesday morning."

Shortly after Bouwmeester was put on a stretcher near the visiting team tunnel and wheeled away, players from both teams left the ice. About 15 minutes later, the game was postponed, with the NHL stating "a decision on when the game will be played will be made in the near future."

The Blues, and all the Dads (who are traveling on the team charter) originally were scheduled to fly out of Anaheim following the game for Las Vegas, where they play the Golden Knights on Thursday. But the team decided to stay in Orange County overnight once they learned of Bouwmeester's condition.

The wait obviously was excruciating for all involved. With curtains set up in what normally is an open hallway leading into the visiting team locker room at Honda Center, security made sure no one who wasn't supposed to be there entered the area.

Fathers stood silently in the hallway, occasionally speaking in whispered tones — all wearing their son's Blues jersey, as is the custom for game nights on the Dads Trip.

Blues players milled about the locker room area in shorts and T-shirts, some on the phone, as was coach Craig Berube for a while.

Janitors arriving for their nightly cleanup detail in the area were politely shooed away by security. "Not now," they were told.

After a while, the team equipment staff began its normal chore of packing up sticks, padding, helmets, skates and uniforms and wheeling them in carts out to the team buses.

Once the news came that Bouwmeester was OK, the area quickly cleared and the team (and Dads) headed back to the hotel. Armstrong is expected to provide an update after the team arrives in Vegas early Wednesday afternoon.

The hockey community rallied around Bouwmeester, with teams around the league tweeting words of support.

"Praying for Bo!" tweeted former teammate T.J. Oshie.

"We join the hockey community and the St. Louis Blues in sending our thoughts and prayers to Jay Bouwmeester and his family," the Pittsburgh Penguins tweeted.

"Sending my thoughts and prayers to Jay Bouwmeester, his family and the @StLouisBlues," said Blackhawks goalie Robin Lehner.

Some of the tweets had the hashtag "prayforJay."

At 36 years, 4 months, Bouwmeester is the oldest member of the Blues. His career looked in doubt after a poor start to last season, but his game rebounded and he was playing so well at the end that the Blues renewed his contract for this season.

He told the Post-Dispatch last week that he wanted to play again next season, but that there had been no discussions with the Blues. "They've got more important players to worry about," he said, a reference no doubt to Pietrangelo, who is a free agent after this season.

The soft-spoken Bouwmeester is held in high regard in the Blues dressing room and across the NHL because of his experience, wisdom and skill.

When Pietrangelo received the Stanley Cup last season after the Blues victory in Boston, the first player he handed the Cup to was Bouwmeester, who had played 1,184 games in the league before winning it.

On the international stage, he has represented Canada on gold-medal teams in the Olympics, World Championships and World Cup.

Not sure how the topic came up, but several Blues players only half-jokingly said last season that if they had to be stranded on a desert island with one teammate, it would be Bouwmeester because of his survival skills.

(He is known for his "outdoorsman" skills — camping, hiking and biking in the hills and mountains near his Alberta home.)

The Edmonton native had an ironman streak of 737 games end early in the 2014-15 season. It's the ninth-longest in NHL history.

A defense-first defenseman, Bouwmeester has usually been teamed with Colton Parayko on the Blues' shutdown pairing, going up against the other team's top scoring line.

Tuesday's incident was reminiscent of one on May 11, 1998, when Blues defenseman Chris Pronger was hit in the chest by a puck shot by Dmitri Mironov of Detroit. Pronger fell down, covered up the puck, then got up, took two strides and collapsed. He was unconscious for about 20 seconds.

The puck had caused Pronger's heart to skip a beat. He spent the night at a hospital in Detroit and was back in action four days later.

While a member of the Detroit Red Wings last March, Blues forward Jacob de la Rose left a game against the New York Rangers because of an accelerated heart rate, was hospitalized overnight in New York, and underwent surgery in April.

“I’ve had no issues since I had the surgery or the operation there,” de la Rose told the Post-Dispatch after coming to St. Louis in the Robby Fabbri trade in early November. “That was obviously scary when it happened, but I had a good summer and I haven’t felt it ever since.”

De la Rose was cleared for play this season and appeared in the first 16 games for Detroit prior to the trade.

“I just rested a few weeks after the surgery and I was able to start working out and kind of ramp it up as the summer went on,” he said. “I don’t even think about it anymore.”

In Tuesday's game, Adam Henrique put Anaheim ahead on a redirection of a shot by Hampus Lindholm 5:29 into the first. The puck appeared to deflect off the skate of Blues defenseman Justin Faulk and past goal Jake Allen.

Ivan Barbashev evened the score on the first goal by a forward in two-plus games. Jordan Kyrou, back in the lineup after being a healthy scratch against Dallas, snagged a loose puck as Anaheim tried to get it out of their zone.

He passed to Barbashev, who was behind the Anaheim defense and flipped it high past goalie John Gibson for his eighth goal of the season. Barbashev had gone nine games without a goal and the assists was Kyrou's first point since Dec. 29.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2020, 04:44 PM
https://i.imgur.com/5LAE6GI.gif

Godfather
02-13-2020, 08:43 AM
Our goalie Jacob Markstrom just made 49 saves in a shutout against the Hawks. New franchise record and tied for 12th most in a shutout all time. That was wild.

Godfather
02-13-2020, 08:44 AM
Pretty funny story from my favorite podcast :lol:

https://youtu.be/4TR0w5l_Gfk

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2020, 02:00 PM
First of his 3 goals on the night against the Habs. His fourth hat trick of the season and he's got 41 goals now this year :thumbsup:

Godfather
02-14-2020, 02:29 AM
That's the best line in hockey.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2020, 08:40 PM
B's win again, nice goal right there!

Teh One Who Knocks
02-16-2020, 10:51 PM
Why did you delete your post GF?

DemonGeminiX
02-17-2020, 12:08 AM
Funny, I asked the same thing, but he didn't respond so I deleted my comment.

But I'll say what I was originally gonna say before he deleted his post: Carcillo was a Flyer for a few seasons and as far as I heard, nobody liked him. I watched an interview with him and he seemed like a moron.

Godfather
02-17-2020, 06:53 AM
Why did you delete your post GF?

Honestly... I got self-conscious cus I thought I was being immature for giving a shit about twitter drama :lol: Sorry. The incident went further today on twitter too. Carcillo is a piece of shit...

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2020, 03:23 PM
Pastrnak :cheers:

DemonGeminiX
02-20-2020, 03:29 PM
If you guys get the President's Trophy, keep in mind how President's Trophy winners have fared in the playoffs in NHL history. Out of 33 trophy winners since 1985-1986 season, only 8 of them have gone on to win the Stanley Cup.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-21-2020, 12:34 PM
We don't need no President's Trophy :hand:

Godfather
02-23-2020, 08:04 AM
The emergency goalie had to go in the net tonight after both goalies for the visiting Hurricanes went down during the game in Toronto (the league makes the home team have one emergency goalie ready to go in net for either team if needed). He helped them win after playing a period and a half.

This is really what every kid dreams of playing road hockey growing up :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGGFpS82GrU

DemonGeminiX
02-23-2020, 09:52 AM
That's cool. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2020, 01:57 PM
Did the Bruins play without a goalie last night? :-k

Godfather
02-23-2020, 10:25 PM
Did the Bruins play without a goalie last night? :-k

That was an interesting one, I can't remember the last time the nucks scored 9. Tough game for Rask.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-24-2020, 10:41 AM
That was an interesting one, I can't remember the last time the nucks scored 9. Tough game for Rask.

Honestly, I think getting shellacked like this during the season from time-to-time is a good wake-up call for a team so they don't get too cocky or over confident.

Godfather
02-25-2020, 06:44 AM
Honestly, I think getting shellacked like this during the season from time-to-time is a good wake-up call for a team so they don't get too cocky or over confident.

For sure. The Bruins are near the top, it's ok to have a wake-up game in the back half of the season.

Godfather
02-25-2020, 06:46 AM
Our star goalie is out for the next 4 weeks. This is bad. We also traded some picks/prospects to make a run this year which IMO was dumb as we're not that close to a cup, we're only on the cusp of making the playoffs. I'm not worried about our core, but I'm worried our management is blowing their load too soon... probably because we have impatient ownership who meddle too much

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2020, 05:29 PM
Hemal Jhaveri - For the W!n

https://i.imgur.com/yqB3PBll.jpg

On Saturday night, 42-year-old Zamboni driver Dave Ayres stepped into the NHL spotlight in one of the most dramatic, uplifting ways imaginable. Serving as the emergency backup goalie for the Carolina Hurricanes, Ayres was called into service after starting goaltender James Reimer and backup Petr Mrazek were forced out due to injuries.

Ayers, who also serves as the practice goalie for the Toronto Marlies, stepped onto the ice in Toronto and made eight saves in the third period and earned the first win ever by an emergency backup goalie. It was an incredible evening and an uplifting story that transcended the NHL. Ayers not only made the NHL media rounds, but earned a spot on the Late Show With Stephen Colbert. He gave the NHL its first truly positive on-ice storyline in what feels like forever. It was basically Rudy, but on ice! Like The Rookie, but in Toronto! It was, pretty much, the dream come true for every athlete who’s ever taken the mound or hit the ice or stepped onto the court.

Despite the sheer fun and heartwarming-ness, there’s still established hockey media that think it “should never happen again.”
In a segment on Canada’s Sportsnet, former Chicago Blackhawk Kris Versteeg threw cold water on one of the few good things happening in the sport.

“This cannot happen. The NHL is a multi-billion dollar business. If the Dallas Cowboys had three QBs go down, they don’t go downtown Dallas and see if any accountants can throw a pigskin around,” he said.

First of all, if the Cowboys did need a QB and handed the ball off to an accountant it would be INCREDIBLE. Especially if that accountant had a few skills and the rest of the team rallied to help him out.

What’s utterly shocking and so annoying about Versteeg’s take isn’t that it’s so joyless, but that he seems far more concerned about preserving the integrity of the sport for such a ridiculous, superficial reason. Ayers recorded the first win ever by an EBUG. It’s not like this is a rampant problem in the league that the NHL needs to quickly clamp down. The EBUG system actually works and, as a bonus, provides magical moments for slightly better than average athletes.

Versteeg also seems to be forgetting that the NHL is in something of a crisis at the moment, as teams and players reckon internally with the sport’s culture of racism, sexism and abuse. If anyone cares about preserving the integrity of the game or the purity of the sport or some other such nonsense, they should probably start with cleaning house rather than focusing on a dream come true for a middle-aged practice goalie.

Hockey is withering across North America as financial constraints push the sport out of the reach of many, and instead of embracing the one storyline that everyone can root for, Versteeg and others on the Sportsnet panel decided to play gatekeeper about who or what is good for the game.

It’s also indicative of broader trends in the NHL that want to kill off any semblance of originality or individuality in the sport. Remember the hand wringing over the Hurricanes’ Storm Surge? Instead of welcoming the development of anything that could elevate the game past its own narrow sphere, hockey media, especially in Canada, continues to live in its own bubble.

Maybe the hockey establishment–that includes the league and media and former players–could start thinking about how to make the sport more welcoming to casual fans versus donning red hats and pushing an agenda of exclusion.

It’s not that Versteeg just has the worst sports take of the week or that he’s a kill joy, but that he wants to be a gatekeeper in a sport that already has so many barriers of entry. Let people enjoy what they enjoy and embrace the few, fleeting moments of uncomplicated joy this sport provides. Hockey has enough problems. The EBUG is not one of them.

DemonGeminiX
02-27-2020, 05:02 AM
Maybe the hockey establishment–that includes the league and media and former players–could start thinking about how to make the sport more welcoming to casual fans versus donning red hats and pushing an agenda of exclusion.

:wtf:

Godfather
02-27-2020, 06:12 AM
Ya they can fuck off. The emergency goalie is what fans want, it's fun as hell, it's what dreams are made of, and it's so exceptionally rare that no other alternative makes sense. I'd take a washed up goalie who played 3 leagues down from the NHL any day over even an elite NHL d-man in net. It makes sense, it's great for the game. Shut up, sell the t-shirts and leave it alone.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-02-2020, 11:16 AM
When did I miss NHL expansion? :confused: I saw an article over the weekend discussing the new NHL franchise coming to Seattle.

DemonGeminiX
03-02-2020, 12:54 PM
I knew they were talking about it, but I had no idea they went ahead with it.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Yeah, looks like they will start playing in the 2021/22 season.

DemonGeminiX
03-02-2020, 01:03 PM
I'm thinking it was part of the deal that brought the Golden Knights to Vegas.

Godfather
03-03-2020, 02:08 AM
Ya! Should be good to have a close Vancouver rival, although I do wish the league was relocating rather than expanding but I think I've ranted about that enough times.

They're announcing the name in the next few weeks here. I've heard Totem or Kraken as front-runners but I think Rain City Bitch Pigeons would be ideal :lol:

DemonGeminiX
03-03-2020, 04:04 AM
Rain City Bitch Pigeons! LOL!

Teh One Who Knocks
03-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Ya! Should be good to have a close Vancouver rival, although I do wish the league was relocating rather than expanding but I think I've ranted about that enough times.

They're announcing the name in the next few weeks here. I've heard Totem or Kraken as front-runners but I think Rain City Bitch Pigeons would be ideal :lol:

I saw that in a fan vote (non-binding I'm guessing) that the runaway winner was the Sockeyes.

Godfather
03-04-2020, 04:33 AM
I saw that in a fan vote (non-binding I'm guessing) that the runaway winner was the Sockeyes.

That's not terrible I guess, Seattle Sockeyes has a nice ring. It's funny I feel like I always think a new pro sports team's name sounds bush-league but after a season that thought just fades away :lol: Not sure why that is.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2020, 10:52 AM

DemonGeminiX
03-04-2020, 11:57 AM
Ahhhh!!! Shit!!! :afraid:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2020, 06:07 PM

Godfather
03-05-2020, 04:50 AM
Glad he's ok. He joked on twitter he's doing well and 'thanks for understanding the delay for the update, my phone's face recognition didn't recognize me' :lol: Gotta love hockey players.

DemonGeminiX
03-05-2020, 06:40 AM