PDA

View Full Version : NHL and other ice hockey discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17

Teh One Who Knocks
06-25-2021, 03:48 PM
wow, that's great for the habs! and great for canada too, ya pansies were starting to worry us! I started watching this game while I was at Sliders last night, didnt stay for too much of it.

Being a life-long Bruins fan it feels weird to be happy for the Habs :lol: But they are definitely an good underdog/feel good story and it's good for hockey. Carey Price definitely deserves this shot at the Cup, he's been a great goalie for a long time now and he gets the chance to see if he can pull a Patrick Roy and get the Cup for Montreal.

Hopefully the Isles can knock off the Lightning now too and make this a great series. No one wants to see Tampa win it again.

FBD
06-25-2021, 05:29 PM
yeah I definitely didnt want to see Vegas in there, so I was secretly rooting for the habs, blasphemous as it feels :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-29-2021, 12:53 PM
ESPN Staff

Boston Bruins forward David Pastrnak announced on social media early Monday that his newborn son, Viggo, died last week.

Viggo Rohl Pastrnak was born on June 17 and died on June 23, Pastrnak announced on Instagram.

"We have an Angel watching over us and we call him SON. You will be loved FOREVER," Pastrnak wrote. "Please respect our privacy as we are going through these heartbreaking times."

CQp0N8IlmWf
He did not disclose the cause of his son's death.

The Bruins and the NHL Players' Association each shared their condolences Monday for Pastrnak and his girlfriend, Rebecca Rohlson.

"We are heartbroken by the passing of David and Rebecca's son, Viggo. David and Rebecca are a part of our family and we share in their loss. Please keep them in your thoughts and respect their privacy during this very difficult time," the Bruins said.

The 25-year-old Pastrnak, a two-time All-Star, had told NHL.com in May about his excitement at becoming a father.

"You come home and you don't think about hockey at all, you obviously have other priorities," Pastrnak told the league's website. "You're getting ready for the baby and we couldn't be more excited. So, hockey's not been talked much lately at home and sometimes that's good, you know?

"When things are going well, it's good, and when things are not going well, sometimes you just need to think about other stuff. For me it's been definitely something new, but I'm so excited. Family is always going to be No. 1. ... I'm grateful that I can live and work with a job that I love, but at the end of the day it's just a game. [My family] is always going to be No. 1."

FBD
06-29-2021, 12:58 PM
:rip: that sucks

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2021, 03:59 PM
https://i.imgur.com/EExvnPT.jpg

Connor McDavid, unanimous MVP.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-03-2021, 05:21 PM
Looks like Tampa is going to repeat :meh:

deebakes
07-04-2021, 03:28 AM
:(

Godfather
07-04-2021, 05:46 AM
This is about how I expected this to go :lol: Tough though, would be nice to see Price, Weber and a few of those guys get a cup.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-04-2021, 02:15 PM
This is about how I expected this to go :lol: Tough though, would be nice to see Price, Weber and a few of those guys get a cup.Yeah, I was really hoping that Price was going to stand on his head and win the Cup. He really deserves one.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-04-2021, 02:15 PM
https://youtu.be/DwJzY0IBMFM

This is really cool stuff!

Godfather
07-05-2021, 03:32 AM
So fascinating, lot of moments of bad chippy hockey in there compared to today, but also some plays that still hold up today. That backspin at 1:50 was nasty, love it :lol:

One thing that stood out to me is that the puck hardly glides on its own eh? Gives the game more of a roller hockey feel. Wonder if that's the ice back then or the puck itself changing most?

FBD
07-05-2021, 11:39 AM
I'd put my money on the zamboni

deebakes
07-05-2021, 11:56 PM
A medical examiner in Michigan says an autopsy has determined that Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks died of chest trauma from an errant fireworks mortar blast, and not a fall, as authorities previously reported.

Police in Novi, Michigan, said the mortar-style firework tilted slightly and started to fire toward people nearby Sunday night. The 24-year-old Kivlenieks was in a hot tub and tried to get clear with several other people, police Lt. Jason Meier said.

Meier said that the fire department and EMTs arrived at a private home at 10:13 p.m. local time on Sunday.

Responders took 4 minutes and 38 seconds to arrive after receiving a 911 call. Kivlenieks was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The Oakland County Medical Examiner's office reported preliminary autopsy results Monday afternoon.

Prior to the autopsy, police said Kivlenieks was believed to have slipped and hit his head on concrete while running from a malfunctioning firework.

"At the moment, we're pretty certain this was a tragic accident," Meier said.

Kivlenieks started in two games for the Blue Jackets this past season and had recently played for Latvia at the IIHF World Championships. He played in eight total games in his NHL career and was expected to compete for more playing time next season.

"We are shocked and saddened by the loss of Matiss Kivlenieks, and we extend our deepest sympathies to his mother, Astrida, his family and friends during this devastating time," Blue Jackets president of hockey operations John Davidson said in a statement. "Kivi was an outstanding young man who greeted every day and everyone with a smile and the impact he had during his four years with our organization will not be forgotten."

"One thing I loved and appreciated about him was he had a great smile and always was in a good mood," former Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno told ESPN's Emily Kaplan in a text message. "I know it's cliché, but that's exactly the kind of guy he was. Just enjoying his life as a 24-year-old living out his dream and you could tell he didn't take one day for granted, which makes this tragedy even more hard to bear. Praying for his family and all of us who knew him. Hard day for a lot of people in that organization."

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman issued a statement on the death of Kivlenieks.

"On behalf of the NHL family, we extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and teammates in both the Blue Jackets organization and his native country of Latvia," Bettman said in the statement. "His love for life and passion for the game will be deeply missed by all those who have been fortunate to have him as a teammate and a friend."

Godfather
07-06-2021, 03:37 AM
So sad, way too young, sounds like they were just having a fun night and then something like that happens... awful.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2021, 01:47 PM
While it's really sad, this is what happens when people that don't know what they are doing are using professional grade fireworks.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2021, 01:48 PM
So, will the Habs become the first team since the '42 Leafs to come back and win the Cup after being down 0-3? Those Leafs are the only team to do it in the Cup finals.

FBD
07-06-2021, 02:17 PM
4 miracles on ice? :lol:

Godfather
07-07-2021, 02:30 AM
So, will the Habs become the first team since the '42 Leafs to come back and win the Cup after being down 0-3? Those Leafs are the only team to do it in the Cup finals.

I think no, but would be fun if this turned into a series.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-07-2021, 06:56 PM
I think no, but would be fun if this turned into a series.

We'll find out tonight if there's a chance :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-07-2021, 07:33 PM

Godfather
07-08-2021, 03:54 AM
Well the Habs couldn't do it, but it was cool to see the Lightning win it in front of a packed stadium of fans and family. After hoisting the cup in an empty building in Edmonton last year with nobody around, this one must feel special.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-08-2021, 10:30 AM
:meh:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Greg Wyshynski - ESPN

https://i.imgur.com/Sh43y3Y.jpg

As Tampa Bay Lightning fans drink up their team's second straight Stanley Cup, they'll soon be able to sip beer made from the ice on which it was won.

Coors Light has used ice collected from the rink at Amalie Arena during the Stanley Cup Final to brew "Champions Ice," a limited-edition beer. It will be available on tap in Tampa-area bars and in 32-ounce collectable crowlers starting the week of July 12 -- including on the day of the Lightning's Stanley Cup parade.

To get the ice for the brewing process, Coors used the shavings collected by the Lightning Ice Crew in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Montreal Canadiens. It put the shavings in stainless steel hydro-flasks and shipped them overnight to its brewery in Golden, Colorado.

The Lightning gave their blessing to Coors, the official beer of the team, to brew with the rink ice.

This isn't the first time a team has repurposed its ice. The Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks are among the teams that bottled it and sold it for charity. It was made into ice pops during the 2014 playoffs by a broadcast partner. But Coors Light claims this is the first beer made using actual ice from a Stanley Cup Final game.

"We thought it'd be awesome to celebrate with the people in Tampa by creating a special batch of Coors Light for them to enjoy, created from the ice where the Lightning put all of their blood, sweat and tears into winning the championship," Chris Steele, marketing director for Coors Light, told ESPN on Wednesday.

Of course, blood and sweat -- among other substances -- often can be found on the ice during NHL games. But Steele said the water used to create "Champions Ice" beer has been processed and cleansed.

"We did an official de-ick-ifying," Steele said. "But in all seriousness, what is being shipped to Tampa Bay has gone through all our food and safety requirements. We took the ice, passed it though several different, incredibly effective filters. We filtered out the unhealthy stuff. But the magic and the spirit of the Tampa Bay Lightning are still in it."

In order to turn it around quickly for the Lightning's victory, Steele said Coors brewed "a high gravity version of Coors Light" with between 7% and 8% alcohol, which was then blended down to 4.2% using the water collected from the rink.

"That allowed us to cut significant time out from the brewing process, which is a few weeks," he said.

The brewery produced a run of 55 half-barrels of beer that will be distributed to Coors Light's accounts in Tampa. Steele said he hopes the unique brew brings Lightning fans to bars and other establishments that are still rebounding from the economic hit taken during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"We really wanted to help support the businesses in Tampa Bay as they bounce back," he said, "and they'll also have Coors Light available for those who aren't quite up to consuming hockey rink ice."

FBD
07-08-2021, 01:24 PM
:hand: if it doesnt have all the shit in it, its no longer authentic

Godfather
07-09-2021, 03:17 AM
Greg Wyshynski - ESPN

https://i.imgur.com/Sh43y3Y.jpg

As Tampa Bay Lightning fans drink up their team's second straight Stanley Cup, they'll soon be able to sip beer made from the ice on which it was won.

Coors Light has used ice collected from the rink at Amalie Arena during the Stanley Cup Final to brew "Champions Ice," a limited-edition beer. It will be available on tap in Tampa-area bars and in 32-ounce collectable crowlers starting the week of July 12 -- including on the day of the Lightning's Stanley Cup parade.

To get the ice for the brewing process, Coors used the shavings collected by the Lightning Ice Crew in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Montreal Canadiens. It put the shavings in stainless steel hydro-flasks and shipped them overnight to its brewery in Golden, Colorado.

The Lightning gave their blessing to Coors, the official beer of the team, to brew with the rink ice.

This isn't the first time a team has repurposed its ice. The Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks are among the teams that bottled it and sold it for charity. It was made into ice pops during the 2014 playoffs by a broadcast partner. But Coors Light claims this is the first beer made using actual ice from a Stanley Cup Final game.

"We thought it'd be awesome to celebrate with the people in Tampa by creating a special batch of Coors Light for them to enjoy, created from the ice where the Lightning put all of their blood, sweat and tears into winning the championship," Chris Steele, marketing director for Coors Light, told ESPN on Wednesday.

Of course, blood and sweat -- among other substances -- often can be found on the ice during NHL games. But Steele said the water used to create "Champions Ice" beer has been processed and cleansed.

"We did an official de-ick-ifying," Steele said. "But in all seriousness, what is being shipped to Tampa Bay has gone through all our food and safety requirements. We took the ice, passed it though several different, incredibly effective filters. We filtered out the unhealthy stuff. But the magic and the spirit of the Tampa Bay Lightning are still in it."

In order to turn it around quickly for the Lightning's victory, Steele said Coors brewed "a high gravity version of Coors Light" with between 7% and 8% alcohol, which was then blended down to 4.2% using the water collected from the rink.

"That allowed us to cut significant time out from the brewing process, which is a few weeks," he said.

The brewery produced a run of 55 half-barrels of beer that will be distributed to Coors Light's accounts in Tampa. Steele said he hopes the unique brew brings Lightning fans to bars and other establishments that are still rebounding from the economic hit taken during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"We really wanted to help support the businesses in Tampa Bay as they bounce back," he said, "and they'll also have Coors Light available for those who aren't quite up to consuming hockey rink ice."

With all the spitting, teeth and blood out there (not to mention the paint on the ice???) this is absolutely disgusting no matter how much they filter it... but if I was a Tampa fan I would love to have a can of this on my shelf as memorabilia :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-19-2021, 10:30 AM
Can't believe the Avs left Landy off the protected list :shakehead:

Godfather
07-20-2021, 06:17 AM
That's a tough one... he's a pending UFA this year though which changes things a bit. I guess the salary talks aren't going well?

On the plus side for the Avs, there are a lot of interesting first/second line left wingers unprotected: Niederreiter, JVR, Hall (UFA)

Teh One Who Knocks
07-20-2021, 10:29 AM
That's a tough one... he's a pending UFA this year though which changes things a bit. I guess the salary talks aren't going well?

On the plus side for the Avs, there are a lot of interesting first/second line left wingers unprotected: Niederreiter, JVR, Hall (UFA)

Landy and the Avs are miles apart in negotiations, so it's not looking good. But if the Avs let Landy, the team captain, go over money, what kind of precedent does that set going forward? Especially with McKinnon coming up for a new contract in th next year or two? McKinnon was already pissed off after this latest exit from the playoffs and if he gets the feeling that the Avs aren't serious about winning, he might just want to walk and test the free agent market when he hits it.

I don't think Hall will be leaving Boston. He wants to be there and he has basically come out and said he doesn't want to play anywhere else. I think that's why the B's left him off their protected list. Same for Krejci, hje said he only wants to play in Boston or retire. So the B's need to sign both of them now and get that taken care of. Boston is NOT getting any younger.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-21-2021, 03:21 PM
Expansion draft is tonight...let's see what the Kraken do.

And just an aside, the name Kraken that was chosen by the Seattle franchise was an AWESOME choice. And they become only the 10th team in the four major sports leagues (MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL) whose team name doesn't end in 's'.

Godfather
07-22-2021, 06:36 AM
I agree, it's a great name.

Their draft is interesting, some good depth and defence. Mark Giordano and Jordan Eberle bring some star power and experience, but no absolute superstars and they didn't take Price which some folks speculated they would.

I guess the Golden Knights were the same though... people forget that when they drafted Mark Andre Fleury as their one big name star, he was sort of on the outs in Pittsburgh.

That said, the Kraken could still pull off some trades this summer. Should be interesting.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-22-2021, 01:05 PM
I agree, it's a great name.

Their draft is interesting, some good depth and defence. Mark Giordano and Jordan Eberle bring some star power and experience, but no absolute superstars and they didn't take Price which some folks speculated they would.

I guess the Golden Knights were the same though... people forget that when they drafted Mark Andre Fleury as their one big name star, he was sort of on the outs in Pittsburgh.

That said, the Kraken could still pull off some trades this summer. Should be interesting.

Pretty happy with who they selected from the Bruins. It was really no big loss and he was at best a third line defenseman for the B's, so it's not a big hole to fill now that he's gone. They did take a decent player from the Avs roster, but it's still not a HUGE hole to have to fill.

As far as their roster so far, it looks okay, but I don't think they will be as good as Vegas was in the first year. Their goaltending could be a bit on the shaky side.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-22-2021, 08:11 PM
Hall is reportedly going to sign a new 4 year, $24 million contract with the Bruins

:cheers:

Godfather
07-23-2021, 06:05 AM
Pretty happy with who they selected from the Bruins. It was really no big loss and he was at best a third line defenseman for the B's, so it's not a big hole to fill now that he's gone. They did take a decent player from the Avs roster, but it's still not a HUGE hole to have to fill.

As far as their roster so far, it looks okay, but I don't think they will be as good as Vegas was in the first year. Their goaltending could be a bit on the shaky side.

I don't think they will be either but you never know. Vegas got freakishly lucky. Karlsson went from 25 points to 78 his first year in Vegas, Reilly Smith almost doubled his production, Perron had a huge bounce-back, Fleury's S% shot back up...

Maybe part of that was the truly tragic Las Vegas shooting galvanizing that team days before the season, and some great picks... but you also never know how guys will step up for a new organization, with bigger roles than their former clubs and a chip on their shoulder for not being protected. It may just work out for them too...

Godfather
07-23-2021, 06:06 AM
Hall is reportedly going to sign a new 4 year, $24 million contract with the Bruins

:cheers:

Seems like a very fair price, Bruins once again show strong cap management..

Teh One Who Knocks
07-23-2021, 09:38 AM
Seems like a very fair price, Bruins once again show strong cap management..

It helps both sides when the player has made no bones about the fact that he wants to stay and only play for the team.

Godfather
07-24-2021, 05:50 AM
Holy shit the Nucks actually made a huge, interesting hockey trade. Feels like it's been forever since a major trade like this that wasn't just a player for picks.

Canucks Acquire:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Arizona retains 12% of salary)
- Conor Garland

Arizona gets back:
- Louis Eriksson
- Jay Beagle
- Antoine Roussel
- 2021 first round, 9th overall pick
- 2022 second round pick
- 2022 7th round pick

I like this. Eriksson was on a brutal contract for $6mil with just 14 points the last 2 seasons total. Antoine Roussel had 4 points in 35 games last year. Beagle had 5 points last season.

Sure it hurts to see us give up a 9th pick, but OEL and Garland are solid. Garland is an RFA so that'll be expensive, but he put up 39 points in 49 games last season and we needed a top line RW. OEL has been declining and his contract is kinda ugly, but he's a big, point scoring, puck moving d-man that the Nucks desperately needed since we get almost no offense from our D except Quinn Hughes.

The Coyotes recognize they need to get worse to get better so the trade makes sense for them too I think.

Ultimately we might still end up being the losers of this trade with that 9th pick being given up, but I'm all for taking the risk for these two new additions.

Godfather
07-24-2021, 06:04 AM
This is great, Luke Hughes was selected by the Devils. This vid shows the boys celebrating. Jack (on the right) is so excited to see his brother Luke (center) drafted to his team :lol: Always cool to see siblings play for the same franchise.

https://streamable.com/0dqkhu

The three brothers went 7th, 1st and 4th overall. What is in the water at that house?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2021, 03:02 PM
This is great, Luke Hughes was selected by the Devils. This vid shows the boys celebrating. Jack (on the right) is so excited to see his brother Luke (center) drafted to his team :lol: Always cool to see siblings play for the same franchise.

https://streamable.com/0dqkhu

The three brothers went 7th, 1st and 4th overall. What is in the water at that house?

After the Avalanche signed Cale Makar to a 6 year/$54 million contract extension, they drafted his younger brother Taylor in the 7th round. Good day for siblings :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2021, 03:04 PM
Holy shit the Nucks actually made a huge, interesting hockey trade. Feels like it's been forever since a major trade like this that wasn't just a player for picks.

Canucks Acquire:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Arizona retains 12% of salary)
- Conor Garland

Arizona gets back:
- Louis Eriksson
- Jay Beagle
- Antoine Roussel
- 2021 first round, 9th overall pick
- 2022 second round pick
- 2022 7th round pick

I like this. Eriksson was on a brutal contract for $6mil with just 14 points the last 2 seasons total. Antoine Roussel had 4 points in 35 games last year. Beagle had 5 points last season.

Sure it hurts to see us give up a 9th pick, but OEL and Garland are solid. Garland is an RFA so that'll be expensive, but he put up 39 points in 49 games last season and we needed a top line RW. OEL has been declining and his contract is kinda ugly, but he's a big, point scoring, puck moving d-man that the Nucks desperately needed since we get almost no offense from our D except Quinn Hughes.

The Coyotes recognize they need to get worse to get better so the trade makes sense for them too I think.

Ultimately we might still end up being the losers of this trade with that 9th pick being given up, but I'm all for taking the risk for these two new additions.

It's REALLY hard to judge draft picks and if it could be a mistake or not. The 9th pick will all depend on how deep the draft will be that year. In most years, usually there are a small handful of GREAT players and then the rest all kind of blend into the same kind of skill range, just depends on what position you are looking for. I would say throwing in a number 9 pick is worth the risk. The only time I would say if it was risky is if you were giving up a top 5 or 6 pick in a great draft year, or a top 3 pick in an average draft year.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2021, 06:38 PM

Godfather
07-27-2021, 12:34 AM
The Canucks never should've touched Holtby. Bad contract. Like many many other bad contracts in the last few years...

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2021, 03:39 PM
Do the Flyers have anything to be happy about? I haven't been paying attention.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-27-2021, 06:59 PM

They aren't as bad as Detroit? :-k

:outtahere:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-27-2021, 07:00 PM
Vegas trades Fleury to the Blackhawks :shock:

And Fleury says he doesn't want to play for Chicago.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-27-2021, 10:00 PM
Ovi signed a new 5 year deal with the Caps and he only needs 165 goals to break Gretzky's record. Can he do it?

:-k

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2021, 10:38 PM
Maybe. He's had several 50 and 60 goal seasons over the years, but last year, he only scored 24. If he's in decline, then no way.

Godfather
07-28-2021, 01:17 AM

I wouldn't be super excited but they made some really smart moves to improve their D and free up much needed cap room:

- Phil Myers and Nolan Patrick for Ryan Ellis - You needed a D upgrade and this did that. Nolan Patrick also is looking like a bit of draft bust so goodbye to him, better now than having it drag on forever (Nucks do that, it stinks)
- Shayne Gostisbehere, 2022 2nd Round Pick, 2022 7th round pick for… Cap Space. - Not much return there but you needed cap room and Ghost is looking terrible
- Robert Hägg, 2021 1st Round Pick, 2023 2nd round pick for Rasmus Ristolainen - I like this one. Rasmus was in Buffalo where careers are dying. I bet he's going to bounce right back for you guys
- Jake Voracek for Cam Atkinson - This one frees up cap space too (Voracek was making over $8mil for 9 goals in 54 games) and brings in a solid player making $5.8 who will get you 40-50 points, maybe more.

As a side note, you just signed dman Keith Yandle for $900k. He's the funniest guy in the league and maybe one of the most loved players in the game by teammates. His appearances on the Spittin' Chicklets podcast always have my cracking up, and I think it's good value. He may just bounce back too, he's only 34.

Godfather
07-28-2021, 01:28 AM
Ovi signed a new 5 year deal with the Caps and he only needs 165 goals to break Gretzky's record. Can he do it?

:-k

Maybe. He's had several 50 and 60 goal seasons over the years, but last year, he only scored 24. If he's in decline, then no way.

A few years ago when people started talking about it, I said no way.... but suddenly it's not looking totally crazy.

Mapping it out, it seems possible if he stays healthy.

- 50 goals next season (he's basically held that pace the last 4 years) - age 36
- 40 goals 2023 - 37
- 35 goals 2024 - 38
- 25 goals 2025 - 39
- 15 goals 2026 - 40

You can mix and match it a bit, but that would get him there... it's a stretch but it's going to be fun to watch.

Jagr was the oldest modern player to score over 50 goals in a season, 54 at age 34, but I think Ovie could beat that record.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2021, 11:41 AM
Free agency starts today at 10 AM MDT.

Avs finally stopped dicking around yesterday and signed Landy to an 8 year/$56 million contract before letting him hit the market today.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2021, 11:43 AM
A few years ago when people started talking about it, I said no way.... but suddenly it's not looking totally crazy.

Mapping it out, it seems possible if he stays healthy.

- 50 goals next season (he's basically held that pace the last 4 years) - age 36
- 40 goals 2023 - 37
- 35 goals 2024 - 38
- 25 goals 2025 - 39
- 15 goals 2026 - 40

You can mix and match it a bit, but that would get him there... it's a stretch but it's going to be fun to watch.

Jagr was the oldest modern player to score over 50 goals in a season, 54 at age 34, but I think Ovie could beat that record.

https://i.imgur.com/gceRxCW.png

Yup, I think he has a real shot at it, but it all depends on staying healthy and not missing many of those games over the next 5 years.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-29-2021, 07:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL4hqRjfX2c

Pretty stoked the B's were able to get Ullmark to mind the net while Rask recovers from surgery. Rask will be out until at least January/February and that's if he doesn't decide to retire.

Godfather
07-29-2021, 07:28 PM
https://i.imgur.com/gceRxCW.png

Yup, I think he has a real shot at it, but it all depends on staying healthy and not missing many of those games over the next 5 years.

For sure. Health wise he's a tank eh. Look at those stats... he's only missed 39 games for health reasons in 16 seasons! Anything can happen but there's no signs he's slowing down yet.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2021, 05:09 PM

Well....fuck :(

Godfather
07-30-2021, 06:23 PM
Wow! That's too bad, but good for him if he feels it's time to go home. He's only 35 and put up 44 points last season, no reason he wouldn't get a nice contract here if he wanted it, probably taking a pretty hefty pay cut to play in Czech but I guess he's made $70 mil so it's surely not about the money.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-02-2021, 11:50 AM
ESPN News Services

https://i.imgur.com/EGMj1ca.png

San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane on Sunday vehemently denied allegations made by his wife that he bet on his own games and has intentionally tried to lose for gambling profit -- claims that are being investigated by the NHL.

Kane responded Sunday morning to allegations made the previous day from the Instagram account of his wife, Anna.

"I have NEVER gambled/bet on Hockey, NEVER gambled/bet on a Sharks game, NEVER gambled/bet on any of my games and NEVER thrown a hockey game,'' Kane wrote on Twitter. "The facts are I personally had my best season of the my career last year and was the most consistent I've been throughout any season, I'm proud of that. I love the game of Hockey and would never do any of what was alleged. I look forward to cooperating fully with the league's investigation, having my name cleared and looking forward to this upcoming season."

The NHL said Saturday night on Twitter that it was made aware of the social media posts from Anna Kane and plans to conduct a full investigation.

Sources told ESPN's Emily Kaplan that the NHL intends to have the investigation completed by training camp, which begins in September. NHL league officials will meet Monday to discuss the investigation and make decisions on who will conduct it, sources said. Without any corroborating information, the NHL does not intend to discipline Kane based exclusively off information in a social media post, sources said.

On Saturday, Anna Kane wrote in an Instagram story: "How does the NHL let a compulsive gambling addict still play when he's obviously throwing games to win money? Hmm maybe someone needs to address this."

She added: "Can someone ask [commissioner] Gary Bettman how they let a player gamble on his own games? Bet and win with bookies on his own games?"

In a separate story post, Anna Kane accused her husband of spending lavishly partying in Europe while asking her to sell her wedding ring to survive and wrote about not being able to afford baby formula for their child.

Evander Kane said the two are in the process of getting a divorce and called Anna Kane "mentally unwell.''

"I love my daughter,'' he wrote. "I will and always have taken care of my daughter in every way possible. I have always made sure her mother has had everything she's needed and more. I have tried to de-escalate our divorce issues and be as civil and calm as anyone in this position could. I have tried to set up FaceTime calls but not every day as I would like to because of being restricted by her mom. She has refused me to see her and had unfortunately tried to use my daughter as leverage. I will continue to always take care of my family, that goes without question.''

https://i.imgur.com/Wca2gtL.png

The NHL said: "The integrity of our game is paramount and the League takes these allegations very seriously.''

A Sharks team spokesman wrote in an email to The Associated Press that: "The San Jose Sharks have been in contact today with the National Hockey League about the serious allegations made against Evander Kane. We support a full and transparent investigation into the situation to maintain the integrity of the game and consistency with our team values.''

Kane's gambling history and finances have been public knowledge for some time. A Las Vegas Strip casino sued Kane in 2019, alleging he failed to repay a $500,000 gambling debt racked up during a playoff series against the Golden Knights.

Since the Supreme Court paved the way for legalized sports gambling in the U.S. and more states have adopted it, the NHL has embraced the possibilities and made several partnerships with sportsbooks and other betting organizations.

Kane, 29, is three seasons into a $49 million, seven-year contract. He's with his third organization after being drafted by and debuting with Atlanta/Winnipeg and a stint in Buffalo. According to Capfriendly, which charts hockey salaries, he has made just under $56 million during his NHL career.

Last season, he had 22 goals and 27 assists in 56 games.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Godfather
08-03-2021, 12:19 AM
Pretty fucked up if the wife's allegations are true. If he bet on his own games, that should be an immediate lifetime ban.

My wife is a casual hockey fan but loving this drama :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-03-2021, 10:04 PM
I don't know. It sounds like she's just a vicious bitch trying to hurt him as much as possible while they're getting divorced. Mara Teigen was hotter by the way.

Godfather
08-04-2021, 06:02 AM
I dono, the guy's track record is dubious at best... the infamous photos of him posing with fat stacks of money in Vegas, recently declaring bankruptcy, the $500k in gambling debt he's being sued for.... I wouldn't be at all surprised if her claims about him gambling on the NHL are true given the shit financial decisions he's clearly been making that we know of :lol:

Godfather
08-05-2021, 06:44 AM
Saw Milan Lucic and Brendan Gallagher at separate times up in Whistler this weekend. Lucic is an incredibly scary looking dude up close... so is his wife, woof :lol: Gallagher is smaller than I would've thought. Didn't say anything to either of them though, I'm sure they get bugged all the time and were just trying to enjoy vacation.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-17-2021, 04:44 PM
:|

DemonGeminiX
08-17-2021, 06:35 PM
:|

Teh One Who Knocks
08-17-2021, 06:46 PM
Because there aren't already enough advertisements at sporting events, we need the jerseys of the athletes to look like the suit that NASCAR drivers wear.

Godfather
08-18-2021, 03:24 AM
I hate this. I get it, the NHL doesn't make nearly the money the other leagues do, but it's going to look bush league now.

Hope they keep it to just one or two decals max... I certainly won't be buying a jersey with fucking ads on it.

Godfather
08-24-2021, 02:39 AM
Oh man Jimmy Hayes died today, that's awful, only 31 years old with a wife and two kids. His brother Kevin is the bigger star but Jimmy was always on hockey podcasts and absolutely hilarious, well loved guy. That's way too young.

Godfather
08-31-2021, 06:12 AM
https://chinasportsinsider.com/2021/05/07/frostbitten-china-facing-olympic-ice-hockey-expulsion/

In news that has not previously been reported, China Sports Insider can exclusively reveal that the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) has threatened to kick the Chinese team out of its own Olympic ice hockey tournament on home soil in Beijing if China doesn’t get its act together quickly, according to multiple sources. Furthermore, the situation is so dire that the IIHF has offered to waive its own eligibility requirements to allow China to bolster its own team through foreign-born recruits.

Simply put, it was too much, too soon. China has some promising young players, and has made great strides in terms of participation at the youth levels, but the most competitive age groups were always going to be far too young to compete at the senior level by 2022.

When the men’s draw was made in April 2020, China, as the lowest-ranked 12th seed, was placed in a group with Canada (#1), USA (#6) and Germany (#7). Germany might sound beatable to outsiders, but they won the silver medal in Pyeongchang four years ago, when NHL players didn’t take part. Then, last summer, as part of the NHL’s negotiations to “Return To Play” following the COVID-enforced break, the NHL provisionally signed off on allowing its players to take part at Beijing 2022. Those details still need to be finalized between the IOC, the IIHF and the NHL, but things are moving in the right direction and it appears as if the absolute best players in the world from Canada and the US will be lining up against Team China. (I’ll deal with the women’s team later.)

I cannot stress enough quite how disastrous this could be for China if Connor McDavid and his merry band of NHL All-Stars face the current Chinese Olympic ice hockey squad, which is currently training up in Shenyang. One hockey executive spoke of an impending “slaughter”. A coach who has first-hand experience with the Chinese squad told me he thought the scores against Canada and the US could be in the region of 100-0.

:lol: Call me sick, but I sort of want to see it happen anyways just for shits.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2021, 10:23 AM
I wanna see 100-0 scores :rofl:

Godfather
09-01-2021, 05:05 AM
Seriously!

It would be interesting. You just can't build an Olympic hockey team from scratch unless you start growing the sport 20+ years out. Maybe with some sports you could do it quicker, but hockey is so niche and difficult you basically need to be born with skates on to make it. It's almost unheard of for someone to make the NHL who started playing hockey older than 8 years old. Owen Nolan started at 9 and Ed Jovonoski at 11 which is considered remarkable.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-01-2021, 11:30 AM
Could you imagine player's line from the game?

Connor McDavid - 24G 18A 42 Pts +55

:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-03-2021, 05:07 PM
NHL players are going to be allowed to play in the upcoming Winter Olympics.

Godfather
09-06-2021, 05:49 AM
NHL players are going to be allowed to play in the upcoming Winter Olympics.

I'm so excited!

Godfather
09-24-2021, 01:31 AM
Buffalo stripped Jack Eichel of his captaincy after failing his physical. That organization might be the worst pro sports organization in North America right now. I'm not saying it's 100% their fault but if you look at their record and the careers that have gone to Buffalo to die the last few year, I tend to side with Eichel whatever the issue is from his camp (mainly not getting the trade he's been asking for for a while now).

Teh One Who Knocks
09-24-2021, 01:00 PM
Buffalo stripped Jack Eichel of his captaincy after failing his physical. That organization might be the worst pro sports organization in North America right now. I'm not saying it's 100% their fault but if you look at their record and the careers that have gone to Buffalo to die the last few year, I tend to side with Eichel whatever the issue is from his camp (mainly not getting the trade he's been asking for for a while now).

Maybe Taylor Hall should give Jack a call and tell him the he would look good in a B's jersey :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
09-24-2021, 01:00 PM

Godfather
09-26-2021, 06:47 AM
Anyone watched this Netflix show Untold: Crime & Penalties?

Documentary about a mafia boss who bought his absolute douchebag 17 year old son a semi-pro hockey team and let him be the GM, so he stacked the roster with complete goons. Great documentary, unreal true story.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2021, 05:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/XsCefjb.jpg

He has his own line of pasta :rofl:

Godfather
10-14-2021, 03:46 AM
We don't get TNT up here but it seems like a pretty big deal that hockey is on TNT this year eh? Some of the podcasts I listen to are making a big deal about this new 7 year deal where NHL will split between ESPN and TNT.

I thought everyone down there watched ESPN but is TNT bigger for sports now?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-14-2021, 11:49 AM
We don't get TNT up here but it seems like a pretty big deal that hockey is on TNT this year eh? Some of the podcasts I listen to are making a big deal about this new 7 year deal where NHL will split between ESPN and TNT.

I thought everyone down there watched ESPN but is TNT bigger for sports now?

TNT is really a basketball network when it comes to sports. They carry some MLB and some NASCAR races and some college football, usually just SEC games, but this is their first foray into hockey. TNT is definitely NOT what I would consider a sports network other than their NBA coverage (which I don't even watch).

Godfather
10-16-2021, 05:55 PM
TNT is really a basketball network when it comes to sports. They carry some MLB and some NASCAR races and some college football, usually just SEC games, but this is their first foray into hockey. TNT is definitely NOT what I would consider a sports network other than their NBA coverage (which I don't even watch).

Interesting.

One podcaster was saying TNT is on in every black barber shop in America, so it could actually be really good for getting new demographics into the game :lol: I'm all for it if it works, obviously I'm extremely biased but I think the NHL should be bigger than the NBA, way better game and league!

Teh One Who Knocks
10-18-2021, 01:21 PM
:shock:

DemonGeminiX
10-18-2021, 05:08 PM
What the hell?

Godfather
10-19-2021, 02:28 AM
Holy crap...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2021, 11:31 AM
Thomas Williams, Hockey writer - Yahoo Sports

https://i.imgur.com/s5p8lVZ.png

Another week, another Evander Kane update.

On Monday the NHL announced that Kane has been suspended for 21 games “for an established violation of, and lack of compliance with, the NHL/NHLPA COVID-19 Protocol.” Kane will not receive any pay while suspended.
On Oct. 6, a report from Front Office Sports revealed that Kane submitted a fake vaccination card to the league and the San Jose Sharks, which is an illegal offense in both Canada and the United States.

“I would like to apologize to my teammates, the San Jose Sharks organization, and all Sharks fans for violating the NHL COVID protocols,” Kane said in a statement. “I made a mistake, one I sincerely regret and take responsibility for. During my suspension, I will continue to participate in counseling to help me make better decisions in the future. When my suspension is over, I plan to return to the ice with great effort, determination, and love for the game of hockey.”

The NHL also stated that the allegations of domestic assault from Kane’s estranged wife Anna, “could not be substantiated.” This is after Anna claimed that Kane was gambling on his own hockey games, which the league’s independent investigation also could not find any evidence to support.
“While we are encouraged by Evander’s commitment to moving forward, we are extremely disappointed by his disregard for the health and safety protocols put in place by the NHL and the NHLPA,” the Sharks said in a statement on Monday.

Kane is entering his 13th year in the NHL and his fifth for San Jose. Through 56 games last season, he scored 22 goals and 49 points, leading the Sharks in both categories.

Godfather
10-20-2021, 02:43 AM
Kane is an idiot who seems determined to sink his own career.

Imagine trying to pass a vaccine card.... to play in the NHL, an international league :lol: What a guy.

The wife's allegation seems to be behind him at least, but there will be more shitshows with this guy before he's done, I'd bet on it.

Godfather
10-21-2021, 06:41 AM
Damn... Hayes had coke and fentanyl in his system when he died. He'd recently been to rehab for problems with prescription pain meds... such a waste, and I'm sure incredibly tough to take for the family. That said, good for them for coming out with it. Two huge issues people need to be more aware of. The first is this is yet another pro athlete with a pain pill addition, and that needs more attention.

The second is that kids these days seem to think coke is just a party drug. It's gotten popular again (at least around my parts) but people don't realize how common it is to be laced. Our local government put out a statement saying that HALF of drug overdoses showed use of cocaine and fentanyl, and most of those people had no idea they had taken anything other than coke.... doing any powders is incredibly stupid obviously but people need to be aware just how stupid it really is now. Coke isn't a safe party drug despite what frat boys think.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-22-2021, 04:54 PM
https://i.imgur.com/a6Fjlc5.png

Godfather
10-23-2021, 02:55 AM
That is bonkers

Godfather
10-24-2021, 04:58 AM
Kraken's home opener in their new stadium was great tonight. Only made better by the Nucks winning on their pretty new rink :D

Godfather
10-26-2021, 02:50 AM
McDavid has 13 points in 5 games... he's on a 213 point pace :lol: It's very early and this league is rough, but just maybe Wayne's 215 point season isn't impossible to beat after all.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-26-2021, 11:01 AM
McDavid has 13 points in 5 games... he's on a 213 point pace :lol: It's very early and this league is rough, but just maybe Wayne's 215 point season isn't impossible to beat after all.

That's like saying when a baseball player has a 3 home run game on opening day that he's on pace for a 486 home run season :lol:

Godfather
10-27-2021, 04:46 AM
:lol: Can't argue with that

Godfather
10-28-2021, 06:48 AM
Wow... these sexual assault allegations surrounding the Blackhawks are horrific. I'm too lazy to post much tonight but Kyle Beach's press conference was upsetting. Heads are going to roll here.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-29-2021, 12:06 PM
Wow... these sexual assault allegations surrounding the Blackhawks are horrific. I'm too lazy to post much tonight but Kyle Beach's press conference was upsetting. Heads are going to roll here.

Wow, heads are ROLLING over this.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-11-2021, 12:08 PM
https://i.imgur.com/E8eJpto.jpg

Dogs, is there anything they can't do?

Godfather
11-12-2021, 06:19 AM
https://i.imgur.com/E8eJpto.jpg

Dogs, is there anything they can't do?

:lol: I adore this. Strip McDavid of the C and give it to this good boy.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2021, 11:38 AM
https://i.imgur.com/dOuWcF7l.jpeg

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2021, 09:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/34bzJH5l.jpeg

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2021, 12:59 AM
https://i.imgur.com/sOqpQnKl.jpeg

Godfather
11-21-2021, 10:06 PM
:lol: Gotta love it

Teh One Who Knocks
11-23-2021, 07:50 PM
BY JOSH ERICKSON - ProHockeyRumors.com

https://i.imgur.com/5da6Ansh.jpg

On this week’s edition of Sportsnet’s 32 Thoughts intermission segment, Jeff Marek reported “public musings” from Quebec premier Francois Legault about the revival of the Quebec Nordiques, who played their last NHL season in 1994-95 before relocating to Denver as the Colorado Avalanche.

It continues what’s been a long-running push to bring NHL hockey back to Quebec City, but at virtually every point, the NHL has remained uninterested. While it’s unknown if their stance as changed, Legault has said publicly this week that the Quebec government plans to meet with commissioner Gary Bettman.

It’s strong messaging from Legault, who Marek reports went on to say that the government of Quebec would be willing to invest their capital in a project that would see the Nordiques return to Quebec. Marek notes that this project would be a consortium — rather, not a single investor or group that would be financially responsible for funding the team.

In terms of recent history, it seems unprecedented that a provincial government would provide significant financial backing for a professional sports team.

Marek reports that NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirms that he’s spoken over the phone with Legault, and while Daly admits dialogue may continue, he says “[the league] is obviously pleased with what we have right now.”

It’s worth noting that Quebec City does have a suitable venue in place. The Videotron Centre, which opened in September 2015, has a capacity of 18,259 for ice hockey. That’s greater capacity than highly regarded NHL arenas such as Madison Square Garden, the fresh-off-the-press UBS Arena, T-Mobile Arena, and TD Garden.

Godfather
11-24-2021, 06:55 AM
I hope if this does happen they move a team. The NHL already shouldn't be 32 teams in my opinion, I think it dilutes the product/talent too much.

I also don't think this can happen until the Canadian dollar is stronger. And even then, I work for a billion dollar company that does business in every province except Quebec (and that's not unusual for 'national' Canadian companies) - their legal system is entirely unique, different laws, different regulations. It's just too complicated to do business there.

My bet, no return of the Nordiques in our lifetimes.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-24-2021, 10:50 AM
My bet, no return of the Nordiques in our lifetimes.

:sad2:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-24-2021, 05:03 PM
I would say that if they are going to bring back the 'diques, then they also need to bring back the Whale at the same time.

Best. Logo. Ever.

https://i.imgur.com/hBg5a7C.jpg

Godfather
11-25-2021, 03:28 AM
Can't disagree, such a slick design.

Godfather
11-29-2021, 06:19 AM
The Bruins only had to turn on the gas for about 5 minutes to beat the Canucks tonight. My team is absolutely awful.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2021, 02:17 PM
The Bruins only had to turn on the gas for about 5 minutes to beat the Canucks tonight. My team is absolutely awful.

I thought Boston was gonna lose that game for sure. Last time I saw the score it was 2-1 'Nucks.

Godfather
11-30-2021, 07:25 AM
Canucks have been finding ways to lose recently.

Finally beat the Canadiens tonight, but they're an equally bad team. 40 combined turnovers in the game, 56 scoring chances and the final score was 2-1 :lol: Bad, bad hockey.

Godfather
12-06-2021, 05:10 AM
Nucks fired their coach and GM tonight, thank god. We still have a horrific owner but this was long overdue.

Godfather
12-09-2021, 08:15 AM
Aaand we're 2-0 with a new coach. Early days but gotta love it! Hockey is fun to watch again.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-09-2021, 11:49 AM
Bruins only score 1 goal :shakehead:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-09-2021, 11:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrowkvKecA

Godfather
12-12-2021, 01:48 AM
With this diplomatic boycott and China about to be completely embarrassed in hockey, I have a bad feeling McDavid's visa is going to get 'lost'.... maybe the entire team?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKN1QmDhd0k

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2021, 04:50 PM
NHL players have decided to opt out of the Olympics this coming year.

Godfather
12-22-2021, 03:03 AM
NHL players have decided to opt out of the Olympics this coming year.

I'm sad. Last chance to see some of the best players from the current generation at the Olympics. Stamkos has never had a chance which really too bad, and now he probably won't at his age. Toews, Kane, Crosby, tons more I'm missing in their early 30's.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-23-2021, 03:33 PM
https://i.imgur.com/mPBWr11.jpeg

Class.

Godfather
12-29-2021, 08:54 PM
Looks like the World Juniors tournament has been cancelled due to COVID just a few games in. What a bummer, I was excited they were going ahead with it. Sucks.

deebakes
12-30-2021, 12:10 AM
I would say that if they are going to bring back the 'diques, then they also need to bring back the Whale at the same time.

Best. Logo. Ever.

while i agree, that name would be far too triggering for snowflakes

Godfather
01-06-2022, 05:01 AM
Apparently the NHL has asked the IOC to consider moving hockey to the Summer Games. It's definitely weird, hockey is for sure a winter sport in everyone's minds, but if it gets the NHL to participate I don't really care, I'm for it.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-12-2022, 01:38 PM
By Ken Martin | FOXBusiness

https://i.imgur.com/g8f8ckdh.jpg

Goaltender Tuukka Rask has resigned with the NHL's Boston Bruins – and Bud Light is jumping on the bandwagon.

Rask joked in August that he’d return after his hip surgery for $250,000 and "endless Bud Light."

The Finnish goalie won’t have to purchase his own low-calorie beer if he agrees to the "Very Official Contract" that Bud Light's official account presented to hm on Twitter, as reported by MassLive.com.
Under the header: "Very Official Contract," The King of Beechwood Aged Light Beers offered him "significant amounts of beer" for various incentives including, signing the deal with the Bruins, recording a shutout and Bud Light promotion such as breaking out a Bud Light during a news conference and drinking one from the Stanley Cup.

One detail still to be worked out: How many Bud Lights constitute a significant amount?

As for the official contract signed Tuesday, the Bruins announced that the franchise’s leader in career victories is coming back for a one-year, $1 million deal, prorated for the remainder of the 2021-22 season.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-14-2022, 06:42 PM
He didn't get a ton of work in the game last night, but Tuukka looked pretty good in his first start back after surgery and being out 6 months.

Godfather
01-15-2022, 03:02 AM
Great to see him back

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2022, 12:28 PM
Annnnnnd Rask got shelled last night. 5 goals allowed on 12 shots all in the 1st period and he got pulled. First time since 2008 that the Bruins allowed 5 goals in the first period of a game.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-09-2022, 02:08 PM
Reports are saying that Rask is going to stop trying to make a comeback this season and retire. Gonna really miss Tuuk, he will go down as the winningest goalie in B's history and he never got the respect that he deserved as an elite goaltender just because he never won a Cup which is absurd.

Thanks for the memories Tuuk.

Godfather
02-10-2022, 01:49 AM
Reports are saying that Rask is going to stop trying to make a comeback this season and retire. Gonna really miss Tuuk, he will go down as the winningest goalie in B's history and he never got the respect that he deserved as an elite goaltender just because he never won a Cup which is absurd.

Thanks for the memories Tuuk.

That's a bummer, but good for him for going for it. Better than wondering for the rest of his life if he could've made one more run!

I think at least out this way people definitely saw him as elite in his prime. I heard the Chiclet's guys talk on their podcast about how some locals in Boston were hard on him for not winning a cup, but agreed, it's absurd - Lundvist and Price didn't win one either and they're elite in my books too.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-10-2022, 11:48 AM
https://i.imgur.com/3iiHUuih.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gccDjCVh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tTkLQDKh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/13Kf4P8h.jpg

A class act through his entire career.

Godfather
02-11-2022, 03:29 AM
Absolute class

Godfather
02-11-2022, 07:51 AM
This is hilarious. Basically the exact opposite of Tom Brady's diet :lol:

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2022/02/10/alex-ovechkins-special-diet-includes-a-footlong-spicy-italian-from-subway-its-one-of-the-secrets/

Alex Ovechkin is on pace to score 50 goals and go over the century mark in points for the first time since the 2009-10 season. While that’s impressive, Ovechkin’s durability at age 36 is arguably even more mind-blowing.

Before ending up in COVID protocol ahead of last week’s Edmonton Oilers’ game (he will also miss tonight’s game against Montreal), Ovechkin was the only Capitals player not to miss a game this season. Ovi’s also been skating two minutes and 21 seconds more per game than last year. Ovechkin’s 21:51 average ice time is the most since his early 20s — the 2008-09 season where Bruce Boudreau gave his star 22:59 a night.

So what is the secret to Ovechkin’s figurative fountain of youth?

“Well I have a special diet, you know?” Ovechkin said jokingly to the press on Tuesday. “I’m not going to tell you what it is. [Our PR guy] knows.”

While Ovechkin wouldn’t dish on his diet, Lars Eller was more willing to in a Q/A with The Athletic. Eller revealed to Tarik El-Bashir that Ovechkin on the team’s chef-prepared meals when traveling, opting for a less-traditional snack.

“Every time we go on the plane he always picks up a footlong spicy Italian from Subway,” Eller told El-Bashir. “He always comes on the plane, he sits down and he just eats this huge, footlong spicy Italian sandwich.”

El-Bashir asked Ovechkin if eating fresh and getting the “spicy Italian from the gas station at Dulles” was part of the diet.

“It’s one of the secrets,” Ovechkin said to laughter.

The Spicy Italian sub includes spicy pepperoni, salami, and cheese. You can also toss on peppers, oil, vinegar, or, quoting Subway “anything else your taste buds desire.”

If the footlong includes “double cheese and extra mayo” as Ovechkin said as he walked away from the podium, the star athlete would be consuming around 1,200 calories per sub and an astonishing 3,120 mg of sodium, which is nearly double what a normal amount of sodium a normal human should have in an entire day.

Ovechkin’s diet has always been confusing — he drinks soda on the bench during games — and “borderline inspiring”, in the words of Brooks Orpik. During the 2018 Stanley Cup run, Orpik told the Players’ Tribune that the future Hall of Famer has a heavy pasta dish before every game.

“Ovi always orders the same thing — Mamma Lucia, which is this pasta dish that’s like chicken parm with noodles, bread, cheese, the kind of thing you want to take a five-hour nap after eating,” Orpik said. “He makes a big display of it too. There’s no shame. It’ll be eleven in the morning, way before anyone is really thinking about eating lunch, and Ovi will walk into the dining area yelling, ‘Mamma Lucia! Mamma Lucia!’ I don’t know. It’s weird, but it seems normal now.”

In 2019, Ovechkin’s wife Nastya filmed him eating an entire plate of spaghetti at 9 AM before taking on the Rangers later that night.

There are other reasons for Ovechkin’s incredible fitness. Less sexy stuff like hard work and a motivation to catch Gretzky’s goals record.

“I think it’s a situation where it was a good offseason for me,” Ovechkin said. “Work hard with Pavel. Obviously, we knew what the training had to be, prepare yourself for a long year. When you feel good, you just want to play more and more.”

And oh yeah, always being hungry for more success.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2022, 11:15 AM

Godfather
02-15-2022, 07:19 AM
I can't get over how bad and funny this is :lol: Check out the Coyote's rink... 5000 seats. I've played beer league hockey in bigger rinks than this.... bench seating to boot. I swear the NHL must just be using the Yotes to launder money through or some sort of tax write-off.

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1493361561032921092?s=20&t=pMHZkkLqymJQTTBtsdcxGw

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2022, 01:21 PM
Time to throw in the towel on the 'Yotes and move the team. It's obvious that the whole thing is a failure and the city of Phoenix couldn't care less about the team being there and their "fan base" don't support the team. Plenty of places to move the team and since Quebec City wants a team back and they even have a new arena there, that would be the perfect place to relocate that team.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-17-2022, 10:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/z61kaKVl.jpeg

Godfather
02-19-2022, 07:16 AM
Wow, that Canada-US women's gold medal final game on NBC averaged 3.54 million viewers, more than any NHL game this season. That was a phenomenal game. Marie-Philip Poulin is a hockey legend.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-21-2022, 10:33 PM
Love how they always do this :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2022, 04:25 PM
https://i.imgur.com/wtQfkiDl.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/mZJU5HPl.jpeg

I guess yesterday was the anniversary of this :lol: The poor Leafs get no respect.

Godfather
02-27-2022, 03:32 AM
This lady knows how to raise athletes. Tall ones too, Myers is 6'8" which is almost Chara's height :lol: I've seen him live and it's just bizarre to see a dude that huge on skates.

https://twitter.com/NBA_NewYork/status/1497699101265252353?s=20&t=bEe0WmgPe_TZRazr4ob1jA

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2022, 12:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/1gTjZuGl.jpeg

Teh One Who Knocks
03-01-2022, 06:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/QzoBLG9l.jpeg

Teh One Who Knocks
03-10-2022, 02:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dANnh3Al.jpeg

:lol: No doubt an answer to a question from some reporter that had never watched/covered hockey before.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2022, 11:23 AM
https://i.imgur.com/HGy1H13l.jpeg

And yet for some reason NFL players insist that they already play too many games and only play once a week while NHL players are out there between 2 and 4 times a week for 82 games, not counting playoffs :-k

Godfather
03-22-2022, 02:33 AM
https://i.imgur.com/HGy1H13l.jpeg

And yet for some reason NFL players insist that they already play too many games and only play once a week while NHL players are out there between 2 and 4 times a week for 82 games, not counting playoffs :-k

That actually blows me away. I guess 200lb guys flying around on skates really amps up the force but still NFL players are HUGE.

If anything it's a case to shorten the NHL season a bit. I wouldn't mind a 62 game schedule, get the playoffs done by May at the latest. I don't really want to be watching playoff hockey when it's nice enough to go outside after work in the summer personally.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-25-2022, 12:04 PM
Boston is 25-9-3 since the start of the new year and have moved past Tampa in the standings after beating them last night. :dance:

Hat trick for Pasta too and he has 28 goals since January 1st, the most in the NHL :dance:

https://i.imgur.com/zkrXq5A.jpg

Bruins are finally clicking on all cylinders now.

Godfather
03-26-2022, 02:18 AM
That's good timing for them, playoffs just around the corner and they don't have to play completely out of their minds to make it in... the race in the east is weirdly not tight at all. The two wildcard teams are 15 points ahead of the rest of the pack so even if Boston slips into a wildcard slot they should have no trouble making the playoffs.

It's a bit tighter for the wildcard slot in the West, 4 teams fighting for wildcard are within 7 points. My nucks are only 4 points back from a wildcard slot but the Stars hold it with 3 games in hand so it doesn't look good. Oh well, we have most of our core locked up for one more year so here's hoping.... sucks to suck.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-05-2022, 12:06 PM
https://i.imgur.com/w5FSpdyl.jpeg

DemonGeminiX
04-05-2022, 12:56 PM
Can't blame the kid. If I was on the ice, I'd want to fight Gritty too. Why couldn't they just put the Phillie Phanatic on skates?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-13-2022, 05:32 PM

Teh One Who Knocks
04-15-2022, 01:29 PM
By Ethan Sears - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/p0pKCtL.jpg

Islanders legend Mike Bossy, whose scoring touch helped drive the franchise to four straight championships, died after a battle with terminal lung cancer. He was 65.

Bossy’s diagnosis became public last October, when he stepped away from his job as an NHL analyst for the French language network TVA Sports to deal with his health.

“The battle I am about to wage will not be easy,” Bossy wrote at the time in French, in an open letter. “Know that I will give 100 percent, nothing less, with the objective of meeting you again soon, after a very eventful hockey game. You will never be very far in my thoughts. On the contrary, you will occupy a privileged place and you will be one of my motivations to get better.”

Renaud Lavoie, a former colleague of Bossy’s at TVA, was the first to report the news of his passing.

Bossy played the entirety of his 10-year career on Long Island, earning a place as both a franchise great and one of the best goal scorers the sport has ever seen, before retiring with a chronic back injury. He finished his career with 573 goals, scoring over 50 in nine straight seasons, an all-time record. Famously, he scored 50 goals in 50 games during the 1980-81 season, matching Maurice “Rocket” Richard’s record.

Of his scoring, former teammate Chico Resch told Sports Illustrated in 1981 that Bossy “scores goals as naturally as you and I wake up in the morning and brush our teeth.”

He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1991, with a list of accolades that includes eight All-Star appearances, three Lady Byng Trophies, the 1981-82 Conn Smythe Trophy and the 1977-78 Calder Trophy.

“He was, needless to say, a slender hockey player,” former teammate Bob Nystrom told The Post in October. “That’s for sure.”

Bossy was also a loud opponent of fighting in hockey, saying he would never take part in a fight, despite playing in an era where it was accepted as a regular part of the game.

“The New York Islanders organization mourns the loss of Mike Bossy, an icon not only on Long Island but across the entire hockey world,” Islanders president and general manager Lou Lamoriello said. “His drive to be the best every time he stepped on the ice was second to none. Along with his teammates, he helped win four straight Stanley Cup championships, shaping the history of this franchise forever. On behalf of the entire organization, we send our deepest condolences to the entire Bossy family and all those who grieve this tragic loss.”

https://i.imgur.com/SwNLICFl.jpg

Michael Dean Bossy was born in 1957, the sixth of 10 children and the fifth of sixth sons to Dorothy and Borden Bossy. He grew up in Montreal with an English mother and Ukrainian father, meeting his wife, Lucie, at the snack bar of an arena where he played midget hockey when he was 14.

At 15, Bossy began playing in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League for Laval National, and his 532 QMJHL points remain a record.

When he entered the NHL draft, Bossy’s aversion to fighting was mistaken for a lack of toughness, and he fell to 15th overall, nearly choosing the World Hockey Association instead of the Islanders over money.

https://i.imgur.com/TjIxj6J.jpg

“I didn’t think [Islanders general manager] Bill Torrey was offering me enough, and he reminded me that I was the 15th player drafted, not the first,” Bossy once told SI. “But I told him I deserved more because I was going to score goals for him. Bill asked me how many. ‘Fifty goals,’ I told him.”

Rarely has there been a more prescient self-evaluation.

“Whether in hockey or anything else — like learning French, like cooking on a barbecue, washing my car — I am a perfectionist,” Bossy told UPI in a 1986 profile. “At times it’s an obsession — I look at myself and I think I’m crazy. But it’s been with me all my life, that drive. I’m just never satisfied, that’s probably one of the things that drives me the most.”

His personality was often described as aloof. He was regarded during his playing career as a private person, and because he spent offseasons at home in Montreal, it was written that he spent less time on Long Island than his teammates. Still, Bossy was a beloved figure, with the Islanders raising his No. 22 to Nassau Coliseum’s rafters just five seasons after his abrupt 1987 retirement due to a back injury.

After hockey, Bossy worked as a radio comic on a French-language station, as a vice president for Titan, as a PR person and a broadcaster for the Quebec Nordiques, MSG Networks and most recently, TVA.

His death is another blow to the Islanders, who have now lost three members of the 1979-80 championship team that kicked off one of the sport’s greatest dynasties since January. Clark Gillies passed away on Jan. 21, Jean Potvin on March 15.

https://i.imgur.com/pHgGkQq.jpg

The trio of tragedies has rocked the organization to its core.

“He lives Islanders,” coach Barry Trotz said of Bossy upon his diagnosis. “And he’s obviously an Islanders legend. … I’m kind of in awe of him. I used to watch him all the time.”

Bossy is survived by his wife, Lucie, his two daughters, Josiane and Tanya, and two grandchildren.

DemonGeminiX
04-15-2022, 08:25 PM
:rip:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-22-2022, 02:29 PM
Kristen Shilton, ESPN NHL reporter

https://i.imgur.com/TklvHAq.png

Montreal Canadiens legend Guy Lafleur has died at the age of 70, the team announced Friday.

No cause of death was given, but Lafleur had announced his most recent right lung cancer diagnosis in October 2020. He had previously had a cancerous lobe removed from his left lung in 2019.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Guy Lafleur," Canadiens owner Geoff Molson said in a statement. "All members of the Canadiens organization are devastated by his passing. Guy Lafleur had an exceptional career and always remained simple, accessible, and close to the Habs and hockey fans in Quebec, Canada and around the world. Throughout his career, he allowed us to experience great moments of collective pride. He was one of the greatest players in our organization while becoming an extraordinary ambassador for our sport."

The winger affectionately known as "The Flower" and "The Blond Demon" played 14 seasons with Montreal (1971-85) and was a cornerstone of five Stanley Cup-winning teams, including in 1977, when he was awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP. Lafleur was electric on the ice, becoming the first player in league history to produce six consecutive seasons with 50-plus goals and 100-plus points (1974-80).

During the height of his career in the 1970s, Lafleur was a three-time Art Ross Trophy winner as the NHL's points leader, a two-time Hart Trophy winner as league MVP and a three-time winner of the Lester B. Pearson Award (now known as the Ted Lindsay) as most outstanding player according to the NHL Players' Association.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman honored Lafleur's unmistakable flair as a player.

"You didn't need to see Guy Lafleur's name and number on his sweater when 'The Flower' had the puck on his stick," Bettman said in a statement. "As distinctively stylish as he was remarkably talented, Lafleur cut a dashing and unmistakable figure whenever he blazed down the ice of the Montreal Forum, his long blond locks flowing in his wake as he prepared to rifle another puck past a helpless goaltender -- or set up a linemate for a goal."

Lafleur was hampered by injuries in the 1980s and butted heads with coach Jacques Lemaire when he took over during the 1983-84 season. The two had played together during some of the Canadiens' best seasons of the 1970s but didn't find the same common ground as coach and player. Lafleur asked Montreal general manager Serge Savard for a trade in 1985 and was denied. Lafleur ultimately decided to retire.

Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1988, Lafleur that same year decided to unretire and return to the NHL for the New York Rangers. At the time, only Gordie Howe had ever gone back to the NHL after entering the Hall; Mario Lemieux did it years later.

After one season in New York, Lafleur moved on to spend two years with the Quebec Nordiques -- where he mentored future star Joe Sakic -- before finally hanging up his skates for good in 1991.

Born in Thurso, Quebec, Lafleur grew up idolizing Montreal legend Jean Beliveau. After a successful junior hockey career, Lafleur was drafted first overall by the Canadiens in 1971 and went on to become a franchise icon in his own right.

All told, Lafleur appeared in 1,126 NHL games with 560 goals and 1,353 points. In 2017, he was named one of the 100 Greatest NHL Players of All Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99K1TUbC1Fk

DemonGeminiX
04-22-2022, 02:50 PM
:rip:

Godfather
04-28-2022, 05:51 AM
My nucks are eliminated from the playoffs. Think we'll end up missing it by a couple of points at most... we'll get a mid-tier draft pick and still be maxed out on salary cap next year. It sucks to suck :lol:

DemonGeminiX
04-28-2022, 06:32 AM
It sucks to suck :lol:

Yes, yes it does. :sad2: #FlyersDeadLastInTheDivision

Teh One Who Knocks
04-28-2022, 11:58 AM
My nucks are eliminated from the playoffs. Think we'll end up missing it by a couple of points at most... we'll get a mid-tier draft pick and still be maxed out on salary cap next year. It sucks to suck :lol:

Yes, yes it does. :sad2: #FlyersDeadLastInTheDivision

Bruins are in :cheers:

But they have been very streaky down the stretch and they are going to have to play one of the top 2 teams in the opening round, so I'm not holding out much hope.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-28-2022, 01:41 PM

Godfather
04-29-2022, 02:49 AM
Bruins are in :cheers:

But they have been very streaky down the stretch and they are going to have to play one of the top 2 teams in the opening round, so I'm not holding out much hope.

You pull for the Avs as your second team still? They look DAMN good too, could see them making a deep run.

Godfather
04-29-2022, 02:49 AM

That is incredible :lol: Love it. Fuck the Habs.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2022, 02:18 PM
You pull for the Avs as your second team still? They look DAMN good too, could see them making a deep run.

I do, but I'm not sold on the Avs even though they were on fire for almost the whole season. This group hasn't had a good track record in the playoffs.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-30-2022, 03:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/fczyR02l.jpeg

Godfather
05-02-2022, 05:42 AM
:lol: You know those fans are already waking up in cold sweats facing off against the back to back cup champs too.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-02-2022, 09:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/9ObMWdTl.jpeg

Teh One Who Knocks
05-02-2022, 11:33 PM
https://i.imgur.com/BisOoVql.jpeg

Godfather
05-03-2022, 02:58 AM
Damn, tonight did not go how I expected it to. Tampa looks like they didn't give a shit.

deebakes
05-03-2022, 11:37 PM
yay minnesota :unimpressed:

Godfather
05-08-2022, 12:09 AM
Avs are looking GOOD.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2022, 01:30 PM
Avs are looking GOOD.

They are looking pretty unbeatable. Have to see how bad the injury to Kuemper ends up being. I guess they are saying the injury isn't that serious, but he isn't cleared to play in game 4.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2022, 01:32 PM
https://i.imgur.com/9NGFqMM.jpeg

Godfather
05-10-2022, 03:25 AM
You know what's wild... I think Crosby has been the best player in these playoffs so far. He wasn't even top 25 in scoring in the regular season, but suddenly he's playing unreal both in his points and his plays and is tied for first in points right now in the playoffs. Surprising and yet not surprising at the same time.

Experience is just so hard to beat in the playoffs. It's only game 3-4 but Sid, Marcharnd, Perron and Bergeron are all top 5 in points :lol: Teaching the young kids a thing or two.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2022, 10:08 AM
Well WTF, the Bruins are two completely teams versus at home and on the road. They had to steal one in Carolina to advance and now if that's going to happen, it's going to have to be game 7. That's if they can hold serve and win game 6 in Boston to avoid elimination.

Godfather
05-13-2022, 05:26 AM
Bruins did it!

Leafs lost too... love it :lol: Would be great to see them knocked out in the first again at home.

Also the Wild losing in the first round... as is tradition. 6/7 last years (if you count losing in the play-in round during the bubble year). That is just incredibly depressing for Minnesota fans.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-14-2022, 01:16 AM
https://i.imgur.com/u7vR8p2l.jpeg

Godfather
05-14-2022, 05:52 AM
5 game 7's this weekend!!! Gotta love playoff hockey. Nothing like a game 7 when your team isn't on the line :lol: Don't get me wrong, I'd rather my team was in, but it's easier to watch a game 7 casually when it's not your team.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-14-2022, 03:02 PM
https://i.imgur.com/POr6mmKl.jpeg

Teh One Who Knocks
05-14-2022, 03:03 PM
5 game 7's this weekend!!! Gotta love playoff hockey. Nothing like a game 7 when your team isn't on the line :lol: Don't get me wrong, I'd rather my team was in, but it's easier to watch a game 7 casually when it's not your team.Well I'm nervous as fuck about game 7 for the B's. They have consistently played like shit on the road in this series. I don't hold out much hope of them advancing.

Godfather
05-15-2022, 01:53 AM
That was tough for your B's, Domi really stepped up.

If it makes you feel any better (and I know I do) the Leafs lost in the 1st round AGAIN :lol: I fucking love it.

deebakes
05-15-2022, 02:12 AM
wild lost first round of course :(

deebakes
05-15-2022, 02:12 AM
the all black edmonton uni's are pretty slick :tup:

Godfather
05-15-2022, 06:38 AM
the all black edmonton uni's are pretty slick :tup:

Ya credit where it's due, those are so sharp

Teh One Who Knocks
05-15-2022, 01:53 PM
That was tough for your B's, Domi really stepped up.

If it makes you feel any better (and I know I do) the Leafs lost in the 1st round AGAIN :lol: I fucking love it.1525662828828450821
Maybe it makes me feel a little bit better :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2022, 11:05 AM

:rofl:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2022, 12:05 PM
https://i.imgur.com/mh0OYaf.png

Godfather
05-19-2022, 03:11 AM

:rofl:

I'd by lying if I didn't admit I RAN to my computer after the Leafs lost to watch Dangle meltdown :lol:

Godfather
05-19-2022, 05:48 AM
That first Calgary Edmonton game was straight up shinny, beer league hockey :lol: 6-9 Flames.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-19-2022, 10:14 AM
I'd by lying if I didn't admit I RAN to my computer after the Leafs lost to watch Dangle meltdown :lol:

I'd never even heard of him until I saw that video :lol:

Godfather
05-20-2022, 02:48 AM
I'd never even heard of him until I saw that video :lol:

Sportsnet which is one of two big sports station in Canada promotes the shit out of him, he's all over their youtube. He's annoying as hell and a diehard Leafs guy... of course no other Canadian teams have their psycho fans constantly blasted all over media. And Toronto wonder why we hate the leafs....

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2022, 06:06 PM
https://i.imgur.com/4BVjOj7l.jpeg

Godfather
05-27-2022, 06:07 AM
Oilers beat the Flames in 5. I'm pulling for them at this point.

deebakes
05-27-2022, 06:37 AM
any canadian team, guess they are the only ones left

Teh One Who Knocks
05-31-2022, 04:17 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ipxcjLJ.png

Scoring leaders in the playoffs so far...

deebakes
06-01-2022, 02:09 AM
go edmonton

deebakes
06-01-2022, 02:09 AM
7-4 avs after 2 though :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2022, 10:35 AM
8-6.....jeez :lol:

Godfather
06-03-2022, 05:50 AM
Avs are exposing the Oilers as the team we thought they were on paper :lol: I'm pulling for them. It still seems like the teams from the east are deeper, but I'm not betting against the Avs either.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2022, 02:02 PM
Avs are exposing the Oilers as the team we thought they were on paper :lol: I'm pulling for them. It still seems like the teams from the east are deeper, but I'm not betting against the Avs either.

I don't think anyone is going to beat the Avalanche this year. I wasn't sold before the playoff started, but they're now 11-2 in the playoffs.

Godfather
06-07-2022, 03:03 AM
I don't think anyone is going to beat the Avalanche this year. I wasn't sold before the playoff started, but they're now 11-2 in the playoffs.

You're right. I sure as shit hope they beat either the Rangers or Bolts presuming they finish off the Oilers.

Godfather
06-07-2022, 03:10 AM
Wow, that'll do it. Hard to believe the Oilers got swept. Avs are officially a wagon and I'm jumping on :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2022, 03:34 PM
https://i.imgur.com/0hklnQBl.jpeg

Godfather
06-12-2022, 07:30 AM
Man, Vasilevskiy is dangerous in net, Tampa is so good. But the Avs can score like no opponent Tampa has faced yet (the Leafs had the best chance to beat them so far IMO). Really looking forward to these finals, these playoffs have been excellent so I hope they live up to expectations.

DemonGeminiX
06-19-2022, 04:30 AM
7 - 0?

Boring.

Godfather
06-19-2022, 08:18 AM
Never in a million years would I expect it to be 7-0 Avs though, wow.

deebakes
06-19-2022, 02:25 PM
total smash

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2022, 11:20 AM
The Avalanche are now 14-2 and the playoffs with a +33 goal differential :lol:

Godfather
06-21-2022, 03:49 AM
Oh boy, we've got a series!

deebakes
06-22-2022, 02:48 AM
game 4 i think almost decides it

deebakes
06-23-2022, 03:37 AM
crazy ending on that one, colorado wins in ot 3-2 and is now up 3-1 in the series

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2022, 11:05 AM
Oh boy, we've got a series!

No we don't :lol:

Godfather
07-02-2022, 02:13 AM
Wooo congrats Lance! Unreal year by the Avs, just dominant.

deebakes
07-03-2022, 10:37 PM
deserves to be in a place that actually gets snow

Teh One Who Knocks
07-05-2022, 03:35 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZNzD8DGl.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2022, 12:55 PM
By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/diCyyln.png

Mike Grier was named general manager of the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday and became the first Black person in NHL history to hold the position.

The announcement ended a three-month search to fill the job after Doug Wilson stepped down earlier in the year. Grier was previously the hockey operations adviser for the New York Rangers.

"It means a lot to me," Grier said at a press conference. "It’s not something I take lightly. I realize there's a responsibility that comes with the territory. But I’m up for it. How I carry myself and how this organization carries himself, I think we’ll do well, and hopefully we’ll leave a footprint and open some doors for people to follow."

Grier played in the NHL from 1996 to 2011. He was a member of the Edmonton Oilers, Washington Capitals, Buffalo Sabres and the Sharks. He played in 448 games and scored 81 goals with 102 assists.

Sharks team president Jonathan Becher said Grier emerged as the top candidate from a deep pool and that Grier’s experience as a player, scout, coach and executive gave him the edge.

"I hope you do serve as an inspiration to lots of people and that I hope you’re the first and certainly not the last," Becher told Grier.

Previously, Grier was a scout for the Chicago Blackhawks, an assistant coach with the New Jersey Devils and worked in the Rangers’ front office.

https://i.imgur.com/QA2zN1A.png

Joe Will had been serving as general manager in the interim. San Jose announced that head coach Bob Boughner and three assistants would not return next season. Grier will now have the opportunity to install his own coaching staff with the NHL Draft and free agency next up.

"It’s definitely a balance. I don’t want to get ahead of myself and be the kid in a candy store and be like ‘I can go get this. I can go get that.’ We’ve got to stay patient and stick with the vision that we believe in and not rush things. I think we’ll set a path and stay the course and not rush anything and get ahead of ourselves and end up digging a hole that we can’t get out of in the future," he said.

Grier comes from a family of successful sports executives. Bobby Grier, his father, worked in the New England Patriots' and Houston Texans’ front offices. Chris Grier, his brother, serves as the Miami Dolphins’ general manager.

Chris Grier released a statement about his brother breaking barriers in the NHL.

https://i.imgur.com/FXtMff6.png

"I am incredibly happy and proud of Mike. The San Jose Sharks organization is getting a man of high character and integrity. He has always been respected on and off the ice y his peers," Chris said.

"Mike will bring his work ethic and passion every day to the job. Mike understands the game, with intelligence, experience and knowledge to succeed as a GM. Our parents deserve all the credit for how they raised us. We were very fortunate to be able to observe and learn from our father, Bobby, while growing up. Congratulations to Mike and the San Jose Sharks on the great hire!"

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Godfather
07-08-2022, 05:11 AM
https://i.imgur.com/ZNzD8DGl.jpg

I remember when Vancouver was top of this list :(

Gotta be good for anyone to bother not liking you usually :lol: Montreal is the exception, damn french.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-12-2022, 06:47 PM
I remember when Vancouver was top of this list :(

Gotta be good for anyone to bother not liking you usually :lol: Montreal is the exception, damn french.

I saw one Bruins/Habs game at the old Montreal Forum back in the day before it was torn down. I was there in my Bruins jersey having a pretty good time, even though the B's ended up losing. But the "fans" there were just awful because I was rooting for Boston. Now I get it, Boston/Montreal was a HUGE rivalry back then (it's not the same as it used to be by a long shot, but still, Fuck the Canadiens), but I was treated worse there than I was the one time I went and saw a Red Sox game at old Yankee Stadium 30 odd years ago or so wearing all my Sox gear. I was getting razzed by the Yankees fans, but it was all good natured, unlike the Habs fans in Montreal.

Godfather
07-13-2022, 02:32 AM
As a Canadian that's really embarrassing... but also not surprising :lol: Habs fans make us look very tame.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-14-2022, 03:12 PM
As a Canadian that's really embarrassing... but also not surprising :lol: Habs fans make us look very tame.

I don't base my feelings on Canadians by the people that I encountered in Quebec :lol:

Plus, there were plenty of decent people I met in all my visits to Quebec, I really think it was just mostly the Habs fan base that are assholes :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-17-2022, 04:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZJZhB4kl.jpeg

DemonGeminiX
07-17-2022, 06:55 PM
:rimshot:

Godfather
07-18-2022, 02:23 AM
DGX you see your off season moves at all? Tony DeAngelo is a great pickup.

DemonGeminiX
07-18-2022, 10:19 AM
DGX you see your off season moves at all? Tony DeAngelo is a great pickup.

There's a lot of names on the roster that I don't recognize. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2022, 10:59 AM
CgZZLSLge0g
I believe she's a free agent.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2022, 05:53 PM
Bergeron is coming back for (at least) one more year, signed a new 1 year deal today. And Krejčí is coming back on a 1 year deal after playing in his home country of the Czech Republic last year. Good news for all B's fans everywhere. :cheers:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-14-2022, 02:29 PM
https://i.imgur.com/VmQ6Vmkl.jpeg

That stat is just unreal...

Godfather
08-14-2022, 04:53 PM
Wow. That's one of the craziest Gretzky stats I've heard :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-18-2022, 01:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/7vAZ2BDl.jpeg

DemonGeminiX
08-18-2022, 08:01 PM

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2022, 11:26 AM
https://i.imgur.com/gdCodbNl.jpeg

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2022, 12:13 AM
https://i.imgur.com/kfPUAOul.jpeg

Godfather
09-09-2022, 06:24 AM
Biz from Spittin' Chicklets is doing a little docu-series in the low tier pro hockey leagues. The most recent ep, he went and made sure a proper celebration was held for a blue coller hockey journeyman who played 1,000 of ECHL and AHL hockey.

It's a bit silly, but I honestly just love what Biz is doing for the game of hockey. Really great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFKFxWd5XU

Godfather
09-13-2022, 05:38 AM
Another good off-season content piece - a day on the farm with Darryl Sutter :lol: Wholesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkggs_D7LMI

Teh One Who Knocks
09-16-2022, 04:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uKXU3AJ.png (https://imgur.com/uKXU3AJ)

The top (current) 100 NHL players ranked according to The Athletic (clickable to blow it up if needed). Thoughts?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2022, 05:54 PM

Godfather
09-21-2022, 02:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uKXU3AJ.png (https://imgur.com/uKXU3AJ)

The top (current) 100 NHL players ranked according to The Athletic (clickable to blow it up if needed). Thoughts?

Fun to look at. You could debate a few names and ranks all day, but that's the fun of sports, it's a great image for sure.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-29-2022, 06:34 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Pl1a63x.jpg

Godfather
09-30-2022, 04:21 AM
Kessel being an iron man defies logic but I love it :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2022, 02:28 PM
https://i.imgur.com/uqzLc9wl.jpeg

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2022, 04:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/a2amK1Ll.jpeg

Godfather
09-30-2022, 04:42 PM
I saw a pic of Malkin, Crosby and Letang online yesterday that said this is their 17th season together - the longest any trio has played together in sports history.

At first my dumb brain was like "oh that's combined years, right?" Then I remembered, no... I was in college Malkin's first season... 17 friggin' year ago. Made me feel old :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-30-2022, 06:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hT3yfuLPIU

deebakes
09-30-2022, 10:50 PM
I saw a pic of Malkin, Crosby and Letang online yesterday that said this is their 17th season together - the longest any trio has played together in sports history.

At first my dumb brain was like "oh that's combined years, right?" Then I remembered, no... I was in college Malkin's first season... 17 friggin' year ago. Made me feel old :lol:

imagine how we feel, you young whipper snapper...

Godfather
10-01-2022, 06:20 AM
Oh I don't doubt you feel old :razz:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-06-2022, 10:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/DSsJ5VUl.jpeg

DemonGeminiX
10-06-2022, 10:33 PM
:hand:

Gritty'll fuck that troll up.

Godfather
10-09-2022, 03:01 AM
That fuckin troll is horrific. It aint got shit on Gritty.

Godfather
10-09-2022, 03:59 AM
This behind-the-scenes series has been quite good so far. Wish more teams produced high quality content like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Ta4ghpRns

Teh One Who Knocks
10-11-2022, 11:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCFAZtEpboA

DemonGeminiX
10-11-2022, 06:06 PM
You gotta love watching a guy who loves doing what he does.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-14-2022, 04:06 PM
Christine Gosselin - Yahoo Sports

https://i.imgur.com/4FKirj7.png

This season, the NHL has debuted digitally enhanced dasherboards (DED), which “erase and replace” the advertising found on arena rink boards with virtual ads on broadcasts. The boards sometimes resemble the traditional ones fans are accustomed to, other times, one specific advertiser takes over the boards and the entire rink lights up with its ad.

During the broadcast of the Vancouver Canucks versus Oilers contest in Edmonton Wednesday night, fans expressed their frustration over the glitchy and distracting ads, some of which caused players on the ice to merge with advertisements on the boards.
The technical issues were also a source of frustration during Wednesday's broadcast on TNT, Tuesday's opening slate on ESPN, and for the Global Series in Prague.

Several fans sent a clear message to the NHL about the DED system, voicing their exasperation with the digital ads. Fans are demanding the NHL remove the digitally enhanced dasherboards, while others believe they should be used once the system is improved and free of any distracting glitches. Complaints also came from newcomers watching at home who are learning about the game. They struggled with tracking the puck as boards lit up and took attention away from the play.
The NHL did mention how it expects there to be an adjustment period for fans, but that it’ll ultimately improve their viewing experience and help national sponsors and local advertisers. Two days into the 2022-23 season, fans are proving the league wrong.

"Like anything else, you're going to have your people that don't like it, that think it is difficult to watch. But over time, like everything else, people will get used to it, and we're not concerned at all whatsoever," Keith Wachtel, the NHL's chief business officer and executive vice president of global partnerships, told ESPN ahead of the season.

The project has been in the making for seven years and cost tens of millions of dollars. The first time the NHL put advertisements on its boards was back in 1981 with the Minnesota North Stars.

Godfather
10-15-2022, 02:43 AM
They're just so bad. What's most distracting is that they don't blur like everything else in the arena when the camera and players are in motion. It's hard to watch honestly.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-18-2022, 06:25 PM
https://i.imgur.com/4iVB9Hul.jpeg

Godfather
10-19-2022, 03:51 AM
My Canucks have blow a 2 goal lead to lose in all 4 of their first 4 games. Fun fact... never in NHL history going right back to the beginning of the league has any team ever started their season off losing 3 games by blowing 2-goal leads, and tonight we made it 4. :lol: Amazing.

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2022, 02:55 AM
I just caught the tail end of the Flyers Panthers game on TV. They lost but my boys are 3 - 1 - 0 so far. Not a bad start.

Godfather
10-21-2022, 06:03 AM
Aaand we lost again after having a lead for a 5th game. 0-3-2. Nice.

DemonGeminiX
10-21-2022, 06:15 AM
Isn't that grounds in Canada for firing a coach at that point?

Godfather
10-21-2022, 06:17 AM
Isn't that grounds in Canada for firing a coach at that point?

Probably. :lol: We have Bruce Boudreau right now, he only came in late last season and the team really picked it up when he joined... but this start has been abysmal and our management came in after Bruce, so they've gotta be getting close to firing him at this point since they didn't pick him anyways.