Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Metro Hartford: 1,188,241

Quebec City metro: 715,515

Therefore, Hartford gets a team

samarchepas
02-15-2011, 09:10 PM
I'd bring back both...happy? ;).....:lol:.....sadly its not me that takes the decision :( (The Jets too)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2011, 09:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VtaPz.jpg

:banana:

Godfather
02-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Metro Hartford: 1,188,241

Quebec City metro: 715,515

Therefore, Hartford gets a team

Yeah but 'metro' is a lot different than the people close enough in the city to go to 42 games. Metro can extend hours of driving from one end to the other. The city is important too.

City: Hartford, Connecticut 124,060
City: Quebec City, Quebec 491,142

As density, Harford is 1/7th as dense
Quebec 1,081.2/km2 Hardford 7,025.5/sq mi (from wikipedia)

And why would you give them back a team :lol: As a city they're only the 199th largest in the USA.... Does anyone care about hockey there? Because in Quebec they're driving to NYC by the thousands to get their team back :P

Fact is, when Hardford left they were barely getting 10k people at a game. Quebec was still getting almost 15k even with the Canadian Dollar being .73 or whatever it was

samarchepas
02-15-2011, 09:23 PM
And add the whole "Habs vs Nordiques" rivalry...extra $$$ there

Godfather
02-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah but 'metro' is a lot different than the people close enough in the city to go to 42 games. Metro can extend hours of driving from one end to the other. The city is important too.

City: Hartford, Connecticut 124,060
City: Quebec City, Quebec 491,142

As density, Harford is 1/7th as dense
Quebec 1,081.2/km2 Hardford 7,025.5/sq mi (from wikipedia)

And why would you give them back a team :lol: As a city they're only the 199th largest in the USA.... Does anyone care about hockey there? Because in Quebec they're driving to NYC by the thousands to get their team back :P

Fact is, when Hardford left they were barely getting 10k people at a game. Quebec was still getting almost 15k even with the Canadian Dollar being .73 or whatever it was

Yeah and that :lol:

With broadcasting being so much better thanks to digital tv/internet the francophone problem that hurt the Nordiques would hopefully be less of an issue too. As would the salary cap and equalized dollar

Screw Phoenix, give Quebec that god-damned team :lol: And let Jimmy B have it

samarchepas
02-15-2011, 09:28 PM
The Francophone thing...not an issue here really...The Habs were sold for over 600M$ last year :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2011, 09:29 PM

That wasn't any bigger than the Bruins/Whalers rivalry ;)

Godfather
02-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah but Montreal is a lot more anglophone than Quebec... broadcasting for the Nordiques was at the time almost exclusively French I've read

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah but Montreal is a lot more anglophone than Quebec... broadcasting for the Nordiques was at the time almost exclusively French I've read

When I lived in Vermont, the only channel that covered the Nordiques was a French channel

samarchepas
02-15-2011, 09:37 PM
I can't say (being 6 years old at the time that they were moved :lol:) but you can't ignore people speaking English thats for sure

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I believe it was channel 2 in Montreal (I think that was the French only station at the time...dunno if they still are)

samarchepas
02-15-2011, 09:45 PM
For the Habs its RDS which is French but there is a lot of English radio stations talking about sports...so thats 90% for the Habs :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Bruins and Leafs tonite :dance2:

Godfather
02-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Crush 'dem leafs

samarchepas
02-15-2011, 10:10 PM
I disagree :lol:...If Leafs win and we win...we take the division lead and the 3rd spot in the east :D

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Boston still has a game in hand tho....we've only played 56 games while Montreal has played 57

samarchepas
02-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Yup...thats why we can't lose tonight! :lol: (going West for 3 games after tonight)

Godfather
02-15-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't care what happen in the east as long as Montreal makes the playoffs well and Toronto doesn't :lol:

I'm indifferent about the sens

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Go Flames!

8-[

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2011, 10:27 PM

Good, since they have the 2nd worst record in the NHL :lol:

samarchepas
02-15-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't care what happen in the east as long as Montreal makes the playoffs well and Toronto doesn't :lol:

You might say otherwise next Tuesday :lol: Habs vs Canucks ;)

Godfather
02-15-2011, 10:42 PM
When I said I don't care, I meant as far as the standings go... of course I care who the Canucks beat :lol:

My hopes aren't high for a win in that game... not with a third of our salary cap tied up in injured players

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Oh suck it up nancy, injuries are a part of the game

samarchepas
02-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Tell me about it! :lol:...For tonight Gill,Gorges,Spacek,Markov,Cammaleri...all out of the lineup

samarchepas
02-16-2011, 12:19 AM
We have one defenseman in the lineup tonight that was in our top 6 at the beginning of the season (Hamrlik)

MrsM
02-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Go Leafs Go - That's all I need to say

samarchepas
02-16-2011, 12:49 AM
Strangely enough...I agree with you on that tonight ;) lol

Godfather
02-16-2011, 03:02 AM
We won :P

samarchepas
02-16-2011, 03:51 AM
We lost in SO...but the Leafs won :D (so Habs and Bruins have the same number of points)...Chris Kelly traded to the Bruins for a 2nd round pick

Godfather
02-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Oh suck it up nancy, injuries are a part of the game

We have one defenseman in the lineup tonight that was in our top 6 at the beginning of the season (Hamrlik)

You have to be kidding :lol:...

Montreal's situation is an adjustment made over 58 games and they have 5 injuries. The nucks have twice that many right now, tied for most in the league.

And whether or not that number sounds insignificant, the true cause for concern is that we've lost 5 defensemen in the span of 9 games with a sixth teetering on the brink. Kind of shocking really. Teams just don't typically have to adjust to that kind of major change in one area so quickly.

Sorry if I'm complaining too much but that's just not a 'usual' part of your average NHL season simply because it's a rough sport.... I don't ever remember such a sudden line-up change. I'm not asking for sympathy or mercy, I'm just worried about the team's ability to win and the health of the players. Trying to remain a pessimistic Nucks fan; they're so good at disappointing us :lol:

MrsM
02-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Leafs Won - Sorry about the late reply - I didn't watch the end of the game :clap::cheerlead::dance:

samarchepas
02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
You have to be kidding :lol:...

Montreal's situation is an adjustment made over 58 games and they have 5 injuries. The nucks have twice that many right now, tied for most in the league.

And whether or not that number sounds insignificant, the true cause for concern is that we've lost 5 defensemen in the span of 9 games with a sixth teetering on the brink. Kind of shocking really. Teams just don't typically have to adjust to that kind of major change in one area so quickly.

Sorry if I'm complaining too much but that's just not a 'usual' part of your average NHL season simply because it's a rough sport.... I don't ever remember such a sudden line-up change. I'm not asking for sympathy or mercy, I'm just worried about the team's ability to win and the health of the players. Trying to remain a pessimistic Nucks fan; they're so good at disappointing us :lol:

We had worse last year believe me :lol:...last year was the forwards and this year its the defense :lol: (and btw...we lost Spacek AND Gill the same day ;) )

samarchepas
02-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Spacek won't be on the 3 games trip this week...and for Lance...Matt Duchêne out indefinitely (hand injury)

Godfather
02-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Specek and Gill are ancient though, I'm surprised they're not out there with walkers :P :lol:

RBP
02-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Blackhawks' Coach Taken To Hospital

Joel Quenneville Chicago Blackhawks: Coach Admitted To Hospital Wednesday Morning

We all know that coaching can be a very stressful job, especially in professional sports and especially in the NHL, where coaches don't usually last that long.

But sometimes, it can be too much and real life gets in the way. It happened to Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville this morning as he was taken to a Chicago hospital, according to ESPNChicago.com. According to the report, Quenneville was taken to the hospital with "severe discomfort", according to a team spokesman. The team spokesman also said in the report that Quenneville was being treated for a health concern "not cardiac related."

samarchepas
02-16-2011, 07:23 PM
I agree :lol: but Gill is great on the PK though...Good thing we had good guys in Hamilton (People are starting to call the Habs the Montreal Bulldogs :lol:)

Godfather
02-16-2011, 07:25 PM
I agree :lol: but Gill is great on the PK though...Good thing we had good guys in Hamilton (People are starting to call the Habs the Montreal Bulldogs :lol:)

That's really funny actually :lol: Montreal Bulldogs vs the Vancouver Moose next Tuesday I believe

Godfather
02-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Blackhawks' Coach Taken To Hospital

Joel Quenneville Chicago Blackhawks: Coach Admitted To Hospital Wednesday Morning

We all know that coaching can be a very stressful job, especially in professional sports and especially in the NHL, where coaches don't usually last that long.

But sometimes, it can be too much and real life gets in the way. It happened to Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville this morning as he was taken to a Chicago hospital, according to ESPNChicago.com. According to the report, Quenneville was taken to the hospital with "severe discomfort", according to a team spokesman. The team spokesman also said in the report that Quenneville was being treated for a health concern "not cardiac related."

Hope he's alright. Damned good coach.

Dude needs to relax and smile a little... he's an angry looking guy and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it's tough on your body and mind to be pissed at all hours of the day :wha:

samarchepas
02-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Weber,Subban,White,Nash,Darche,Pacioretty,Desharna is ,Picard (and I might forget some :lol:) were all with the Bulldogs either this year or last year.

samarchepas
02-16-2011, 09:33 PM
For GF: Alberts out for 6-8 weeks

MrsM
02-17-2011, 04:18 AM
Leafs win again :)

samarchepas
02-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Its normal to see them win right now if you think of it...the clean up has started...and they want to impressed their boss to either stay there or hope that a team see and want them.

MrsM
02-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Yep - that sounds about right - We are on our big push to finish 9th in the east. At least Boston will get a lower draft pick ;)

Godfather
02-17-2011, 08:25 PM
We play Nashville tonight *falls asleep*

MrsM
02-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Watch out for Fisher - he's a new man now that he's playing where his wife works ;)

samarchepas
02-17-2011, 08:46 PM
We play Nashville tonight *falls asleep*

We go West as of tonight....*falls asleep also*...having a hockey game with college in the morning the next day sucks :lol: (btw...Habs trade their 5th round pick to the Ducks for Paul Mara)

Godfather
02-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Watch out for Fisher - he's a new man now that he's playing where his wife works ;)

You'll have to elaborate :-k I don't feel like googling what you're referring to :lol:

MrsM
02-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Mike Fisher was traded from Ottawa to Nashville. He is married to some famous country singer. Everyone said that he wanted to be traded there because he would be closer to his wife. He is a good player (when he wants to be) and now that he will be with his wife he may be a new man

Teh One Who Knocks
02-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Yeah, that happened between 1 and 2 weeks ago I think :-k

He's married to Carrie Underwood

Godfather
02-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Ahh nice, I missed that story somehow

Teh One Who Knocks
02-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Carrie Underwood's Hubby Moving to Nashville
By Alla Byrne - People Magazine

Looks like Carrie Underwood and Mike Fisher will no longer have a long-distance marriage.

The singer's hockey-player husband has been traded from the Ottawa Senators to the Nashville Predators, according to CBC News. With Fisher living in Ottawa and Underwood based in Nashville, the good news is that the couple will no longer have to travel to see each other.

"We will both truly miss Ottawa," Underwood said in a statement Thursday. "Mike has been such a big part of the community, and I will never forget how they welcomed me with open arms. We obviously love Nashville, and the teams' decision for him to now play with the Predators is an exciting opportunity for Mike. I support him wherever he plays!"

Fisher himself has mixed feelings about the change. "It's hard, it's a bit of a shock [and it ] still hasn't sunk in yet," he said in a video interview on the NHL Web site. "The hardest part is the goodbyes to people. That's tough. I'm excited about Nashville, about the Predators. If a trade was going to happen and there was a place I had to go, it would be Nashville. I'm excited about being a part of that team, they're a very good team."

Added Fisher, "I'm sure my wife won't be disappointed ... I think it will be a great place for me and the family."

Time Apart

Due to Underwood's concert tour and Fisher's hockey schedule, the pair haven't been able to spend long periods of time together very often since their wedding last summer.

But Underwood seemed to be settling into her husband's native Canada very nicely. In fact, the newlyweds had been putting the finishing touches on their new home in Ottawa.

"There's definitely some more to be finished, but it is by far very livable," Underwood recently told Tampa radio station WQYK. "I'm trying to figure out where everything should go, and it's amazing, because my husband has more clothes and shoes than I do!"

Luckily, the couple don't have to worry about house hunting in Nashville since Underwood has a home in the exclusive gated community of Governor's Club in Williamson County. Although it sounds like the singer may need to invest in bigger closets.

Another bright spot in the trade is that it looks like the newlyweds will get to spend Valentine's Day together in Nashville since the Predators have home games over the weekend and next week.

Godfather
02-18-2011, 12:40 AM
:rofl: Canucks lost Bieksa now too. He fractured something, out for 3-6 weeks.... This nancy is worried.

6 injured defensement (ie all of them) in 10 games :| With Salo just hanging in there

That has to be some kind of record?!?!?!

Ballard, Hamuis, Edler, Alberts, Bieksa & Sweatt... I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Yup so its the Moose vs the Predators tonight?:lol: (BTW Jarkko Ruutu to the Ducks)

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 02:51 AM
Oh DAMN!! James Wisniewski broken jaw bone....We might have re recall guys from Wheeling :lol: (our ECHL team)

Godfather
02-18-2011, 07:37 AM
:lol: I know a guy in the ECHL... been to a few games. Not a strong league :lol:

Call up Maxwell :dance:

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Do you really want to see him play on defense?:lol2: (Gill,spacek,WIsniewski,Markov,Gorges,Cammaleri... still think its only bad in Vancouver?;)....:( )

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Brian Elliot traded to the Colorado Avalanche.

Joebob034
02-18-2011, 04:05 PM
why does Tampa have a team? I mean I love Stevie Y and wish him the best but seriously why does this team exist. The wings played in Tampa last night and you would've thought it was a home game. Look at the crowd in this clip, it's all red. You can't tell from this clip but when the wings scored you would've thought it was at the Joe. I know there are a lot of MI transplants down there but seriously no one cares about hockey in FL give it up already. It was a bigger deal in Detroit than TB because it was the first game against Yzerman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2zl0EV5l4s

This is from a different game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFg9NWupAcw

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 04:22 PM
It used to be full there (when they won the Cup) and its better than it was last year (Want an empty arena? Look at the Panthers or the Thrashers) So IMO lots of teams will move before the Lightning.

Joebob034
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
the Avs trade Craig Anderson to the Sens for Brian Elliot.....

what a difference a year makes for Anderson

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Colborne, Bruins 1st and a conditional pick to Toronto for Kaberle.

MrsM
02-18-2011, 06:59 PM
At least the leafs got something for him. He would be leaving once a UFA

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Sure you got something for him...but I'd like that Burke would have used his brain a little more here...trading him somewhere that he will have to face 6 times (minimum) per year? Trading within your own division ain't really recommended :lol:

MrsM
02-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Reports were basically stating that most deals were looking like a potential 2nd round pic since his contract is up. 1st round in own division to me is better than a 2nd. Besides - he may not stay with BOS when he becomes a free agent.

As far as i'm concerned to get anything for him is a big + for the leafs

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 07:54 PM
He had a NTC and Boston was the ONLY place that he wanted to go...I'd be shocked to see him go elsewhere :lol:

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Bruins trade Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart to Thrashers for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik...active day today :lol:

MrsM
02-18-2011, 08:05 PM
He had a NTC and Boston was the ONLY place that he wanted to go...I'd be shocked to see him go elsewhere :lol:

I didn't hear that boston was the only place that he wanted to go to, and yes he did have a NTC. When you look at it, Toronto and Boston just traded 1st round pics (although in the end Boston will get an earlier pic because the leafs will finish lower)... the difference to me is that you don't know what Kaberle will do in the summer. I wonder if Boston was able to talk to him about signing an extension or new contract.

If Kaberle walks in the summer - I think Boston paid too much for him.

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Don't be surprised to see him sign a contract in the next few days :lol:

MrsM
02-18-2011, 08:14 PM
After reading this comment online - it still doesn't look good for Burke...

After two trades with the Bruins, the Leafs basically get:
- Kessel
- Colborne (former #1 pick from 3 years ago who hasn't made the big club yet)
- Boston's first rounder this year (say around pick 20 or so)
- Potential 2nd rounder if Kabby signs with Boston or they make the Cup
In comparison, Boston gets:
- Kabby (should improve the powerplay even if he onl;y stays for this year)
- Seguin (10 goals and 20 points as a 19 year old – only going to get better)
- Toronto's #1 pick this year (likely top 10 pick)
- Jared Knight (the second rounder from last year)
- PLUS moving Kessel allowed them to sign Chara, give Lucic more money, etc.

BUT - Kaberle was most likely not going to sign with Toronto next year - so to get someting is better than nothing

Teh One Who Knocks
02-18-2011, 08:36 PM
the Avs trade Craig Anderson to the Sens for Brian Elliot.....

what a difference a year makes for Anderson

He was never a #1 goalie to begin with...it was stupid that anyone here in the front office thought that he was

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 09:07 PM
WTF Eric Brewer to Tampa for a 3rd round pick...Trade Deadline is 10 days earlier than it was supposed to or something?:lol:

samarchepas
02-18-2011, 09:16 PM
The Carolina Hurricanes have traded defenceman Ian White to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a 2012 second round draft pick.

In a seperate transaction, the Hurricanes acquired defenceman Derek Joslin from the Sharks in exchange for future considerations....yup crazy trade day :lol:

samarchepas
02-19-2011, 02:12 PM
The St Louis Blues Have Traded Erik Johnson & Jay McClement and a conditional 1st round pick to Colorado for for Chris Stewart, Shattenkirk and a conditional 2nd pick, STL also sends conditional 1st rounder in 2011 or 2012 to COL and COL sends conditional 2nd rounder in 2011 or 2012 to STL.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Back to back wins for the B's :banana:

samarchepas
02-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Burke I HATE YOU!!! :x ...now both Kaberle and Chara in the same team...

Teh One Who Knocks
02-19-2011, 03:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eUsSJ.jpg

:banana: :banana: :banana:

samarchepas
02-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Lets see if they can resign him now :lol: (They paid the big price for him)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-19-2011, 04:24 PM
If we win the Cup this year because of his help, I don't care if they resign him ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Roundup: Reaction from Leafs, Bruins, Thrashers to Kaberle trades
By Greg Wyshynski

http://i.imgur.com/EbCDS.jpg

Now that it's a little less chaotic (nothing like a trade breaking 3 seconds before your radio show goes live), some thoughts on the Tomas Kaberle trade dominos that fell for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins and Atlanta Thrashers.

Round of applause for Brian Burke for flipping a soon-to-be-free-agent player with a no-movement clause (and a notorious history of wielding it) for what amounts to two first-rounders and a conditional second-round pick (if the Bruins reach to the Finals or resign Kaberle, it goes to the Leafs). Which, as reader Les Bakker pointed out, sounds oddly familiar to a previous Leafs/Bruins deal. Which, as Peter Chiarelli seemed to indicate in his press conference, may not be a coincidence.

The first gives the Leafs another chip to play; Colborne gives them another prospect at center, which they could certainly use.

Did the Boston Bruins overpay? Yes, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. First, because these are assets they could afford to move with a logjam at center (Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin eventually and who the hell knows about Savard) and because they have a first-rounder that's going to be much higher than they one they just traded. (They're not all winners, Burkie.)

Second, because Tomas Kaberle gives them the puck-moving defenseman they've lacked, and he's one of the best in the League. He's also going to elevate a middling power play (18.1 percent conversion rate) to top 10 status. This is a Stanley Cup caliber roster now.

They also made out well in the side deal with the Atlanta Thrashers, acquiring centerman Rich Peverley and defenseman Boris Valabik from the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for defenseman Mark Stuart and center Blake Wheeler. Peverley gives them better offense than Wheeler and is signed for $1.4 million next season. Wheeler makes $2.2 million and goes RFA. There's a headache Peter Chiarelli won't have to worry about.

The Thrashers? Hell, they just traded a popular but ultimately expendable forward and a soon-to-be RFA for a UFA defenseman who can help now and a 24-year-old, versatile forward -- and they both played for Craig Ramsay in the past.

But enough about our take; what are the loyalists for the Leafs, Bruins and Thrashers saying, along with other members of the traditional and alt-media? Coming up, a full Kaberle analysis lineup.

For the Thrashers, here's Coach Craig Ramsay's take:

On Blake Wheeler: "Big body with good puck skills. He's able to kill penalties and has become pretty good at that aspect of the game. He should help on the power play as well because of his good offensive skills."

On Mark Stuart: "He's a great competitor and brings grit to the defensive corp. He will also jump up and join rushes. He really wants to be involved offensively, not just be a defenseman."

Puck Sage, a Bruins blogger, thinks the whole thing is a gamble:

So in exchange for four first round level picks today, the toughness and leadership of Stuart, the Bruins get back a puck moving defenseman who's goal scoring has dropped steadily for years in Thomas Kaberle with no guarantee he will be here past July 1st, an undrafted forward that doesn't appear to know anything about the defensive zone, who is yet another center, and a guy who couldn't stay on the Atlanta blueline when they were among the worst defensive teams in the entire NHL. They also got to strengthen a division rival, and remove two top penalty killers.

This is a colossal roll of the dice, in the unlikely-in-the-extreme event I'm wrong, and Chiarelli and Neely are right I'll be overjoyed at the Stanley Cup parade.

Days of Y'Orr offered this take over email:

We're excited about the trades. Was Joe Colbourne, Boston's first and a conditional pick a bit much to give up for a potential Kaberle rental? Perhaps. But the Bruins need to win now, not in 2014. There is no guarantee a prospect or a pick is going to turn into a serviceable, good or great NHL player. Kaberle can help Boston win now, not Joe Colbroune or a pick that is going to be late in the first round anyway. We'll take proven commodities over potential any day of the week. Kaberle fills an obvious void the Bruins had and pairing him with Chara will hopefully take a bit of the offensive burden off of Chara and allow him to just unleash that sweet sweet slapshot more often while teams worry about Kaberle. Potential doesn't win playoff games.

As for Peverley and Valabik, love that as a depth move. We love Mark Stuart here in Boston but he really is not the type of player who isn't replaceable, though his leadership and nasty demeanor around the net will surely be missed. Wheeler is one of those players that had "potential" and is not quite living up to it. Plus the Bruins offsides numbers will instantly improve now that he is in Atlanta.

Barstool Sports had this take on the Thrashers/Bruins deal:

The hulking Valabik, who was famously pummeled by his boyhood hero Zdeno Chara a couple years ago, will likely be sent to Providence. He'll be a restricted free agent at year's end. But the versatile Peverley will be expected to contribute immediately for the Bs. He'll also likely provide more scoring bang for the Bs buck than they had been getting from Wheeler.

Additionally, the forward is under contract until the end of '12 at a cap-friendly hit of $1.325M. The emergence of Adam McQuaid made Stuart (and his contract) expendable. Stuart will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. Swapping out Wheeler for Peverley looks like a winner, on paper anyways (a cheaper guy with better production). Bs fans have been running out of patience with Wheeler since he set the bar high with his rookie year and had failed to reach that level again.

Bruins Hockey Now discusses some kvetching about what the Bruins gave up:

Some Bruins fans, especially those over on the ever-rational HF Boards, are wailing and grinding their teeth over the loss of Colborne. I'm honestly not sure why. Sure, Colborne's a big kid and has talent, but the knock on him has been that he doesn't use his size efficiently and plays a lot smaller than he is. Some even said that when the game turns physical, Colborne disappears. That's not a good look for someone who is 6'5", and Bruins fans have seen enough guys who don't use their size over the years (see Wheeler, Blake and Gill, Hal).

Scott Burnside of ESPN doesn't see Kaberle as a final piece to the Cup puzzle for the Bruins:

One also has to wonder how Kaberle will fit in with Bruins coach Claude Julien, who demands defensive responsibility from his players. Kaberle has been playing for one of the league's worst defensive teams in recent years. Again, perhaps this is a function of the players around Kaberle, but to say that would be to ignore the obvious flaws in his game -- he is not particularly physical and not particularly good in his own zone.

Finally -- and this is the key point for us -- Kaberle has not played in an NHL playoff game since before the 2004-05 lockout. In any of the past few seasons, he could have gone to management and ask to be moved to a contender. He did not. Does this player have the desire or will to win after seeming to be perfectly content to play out the string in Toronto these past seasons?

Editor In Leaf offers a Toronto-centric take on how the trade helps the Bruins:

For the Bruins, this deal helps them in two ways. First, they are getting a big piece for a potential cup run. Kabs is going to do wonders on the Bruins blueline and is going to add quite a bit of depth for them. With Kaberle on the second pairing, the B's are going to be a threat at all times. Secondly, the Leafs get worse, meaning they fall in the standings, meaning that pick the Bruin's have gets better and better.

M Forbes of Bitter Leaf Fan doesn't live up to the site's name in this Kaberle tribute:

In the end, I am saddened by Kaberle's departure. Like so many Leaf greats before him I fear he will not be judged by the lens of his accomplishments or how he performed on the ice, but by the shortcomings of his team during his tenure. It's unfortunate that the failures of management, especially their inability to surround players like Kaberle with the appropriate pieces to win, will colour how many evaluate his career as a Leaf. I do hope time corrects that viewpoint as it has for Sittler, Salming and Sundin.

Mike Brophy of Sportsnet sees hope for the Leafs:

Suddenly Burke's Leafs have what they didn't as early as a few weeks ago - hope! The recent transactions put the Leafs in an improved position to be better a year from now than they have been at this stage of the season in recent memory. They went from the embarrassment of possibly giving the Bruins back-to-back lottery picks to now having two first-round picks of their own; late picks, albeit, but first round picks nonetheless. And they have kids in Aulie, Colborne and Gardiner who are considered very good prospects; players who are arguably further along the development curve than many of their peers.

Pension Plan Puppets looked at the Leafs' success or failure in this trade:

In terms of winners and losers, it would be easy for me to note that the Bruins gave up two first rounders for Kaberle and make a snarky remark about the Kessel deal. The reality is, as I and many others have said before, there are five questions marks involved in these two trades and it will take time to determine the impact that each will have on their respective teams.

Today, the Leafs' future has added two more quality possibilities. Boston's first rounder joins Philadelphia's in being later in the draft but it gives Burke something to work with. Unlike with the Kris Versteeg trade Burke moved an asset that had no future with the club.

According to most reports, neither side was interested in extending the relationship. The Maple Leafs are worse off right now on paper but it remains to be seen how the team will fill the gaps alongside Luke Schenn and on the top power-play unit. Burke still has assets to play with and players could get promoted from within the organization. Right now, the big worry is that we're going to see more Brett Lebda.

samarchepas
02-19-2011, 04:44 PM
And if you can't sign him AND don't win it?;) (BTW I'm 99% sure he will resign with them though...its the only team he was willing to lift his NTC)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-19-2011, 05:32 PM
If they can't resign him, it was still worth the risk ;)

Godfather
02-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Busy times in the NHL!! Love it :D

We play Dallas tonight. I'm predicting a narrow victory. We haven't lost to Dallas yet this season *knock on wood.* Even though we're struggling a bit, so is Dallas

samarchepas
02-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Heritage Classic part 1 tonight Players from Habs 1986 lineup and Flames 1989 lineup at starting at 6:30 ET

Godfather
02-20-2011, 05:28 AM
Woooh canucks win 5-2. Suckit Dallas

Godfather
02-20-2011, 05:29 AM
The habs are up next :dance: They're goin' DOWN

Someone tell Price his mask is creepy first...

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Thanks to the Canucks I will be a MESS Wednesday morning :lol: (Game starts at 11 PM EST here)...oh the whole "habs are going down" thing...we get Cammaleri,Wisniewski and Gill back tomorrow..might not be as easy ;)...and Price...He's been told the same thing 50 times today :lol:..BTW its the only time that he will wear it (tomorrow)...then it will be sold and the money will be given to charity

Godfather
02-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Yeah I figured it was a one time thing...really cool mask. Just a little scary :lol:

Looks like we might get Hamhuis back at least! He skated in practice, but that doesn't necessarily mean an early return.. concussions are a tough thing to judge. Not very fun.

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 06:17 AM
I'd Guess that its skating without contact?If so it might still take a while ...better be sure he is 100% ready (Look at what happened to Savard when he came back too early...)

Godfather
02-20-2011, 06:29 AM
I believe it was just a private practice with him and Kieth Ballard so no contact. Both skated well and Hamhuis is looking set to come back on Tuesday. Ballard isn't far behind either apparently. Ballard's early return is kinda shocking considering the still-shot of Ballard's leg twisted like a pretzel. Good thing he's flexible :lol:
http://i54.tinypic.com/ix8bo5.jpg

Anyways, those are two pieces of great news :thumbsup:

Concussions are rough though... thankfully this must not have been a terrible one like Willie Mitchell's last year that had him down and really sick for months and months, or Sydney Crosby right now too I guess. And it always leaves you at risk for suffering worse the next time

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 06:33 AM
And with the number of defensemen you have on the Injury List...can't afford losing him for the rest of the season with a 2nd concussion in a year.

Godfather
02-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Nope not at all... but it's been a week already and it was day-to-day from the get go and they were almost going to let him back tonight so I the medical staff is taking the health him and the team into consideration.

Thankfully it wasn't one of those nasty Grade III, wreck your summer vacation ones :lol:

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Thats actually a NHL rule that you have to wait at least 7 days after having a concussion before coming back...And since you guys are doing well even with all the injuries, no point in having him make an early comeback...and its not like the playoffs were starting tomorrow! :lol:

Godfather
02-20-2011, 07:13 AM
I didn't know that was specifically a rule but it's not surprising.. that kinda thing can getcha killed

Godfather
02-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Slovakia is still kicking hockey wise :lol:

This kid is Tomas Jurco, he'll be a fairly high draft pick in the 2011 NHL Draft probably

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBEDkg-Xyxw&feature=related

I'd be proud if I could do any one of his dozens of moves :lol:

Just youtube the little bastard. He's in the QMJHL right now doing quite well (Sam probably knows more about it than me, I only follow the WHL chunk of the CHL)

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Yup hits to the head can kill you (or do irreversible brain damage...which IMO is worse than death)

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Slovakia is still kicking hockey wise :lol:

This kid is Tomas Jurco, he'll be a fairly high draft pick in the 2011 NHL Draft probably

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBEDkg-Xyxw&feature=related

I'd be proud if I could do any one of his dozens of moves :lol:

Just youtube the little bastard. He's in the QMJHL right now doing quite well (Sam probably knows more about it than me, I only follow the WHL chunk of the CHL)

Yes I've seen that video before...lets see him do that on the ice now! :lol:

Godfather
02-20-2011, 08:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrmVRHpBeaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vsVeIgEtZk&feature=related

Doesn't seem to be much of a problem :lol:

Not bad for 17 or so... wonder if he can take a hit though.

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Indeed :lol: I'd assume that he can "take a hit" though...playing in the CHL, you have to :lol:...should be interesting to see him at the Draft (6"1 RW with skills like that?He WILL get drafted for sure :lol:)

Godfather
02-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Yeah always good when the European kids come over here to skate in major junior for a few seasons... the ones who stick in Europe until the draft have a steeper learning curve for sure

No doubt he will get drafted... where is the question. He's not currently considered one of the top 10 European or North American skaters but he seems like a first rounder none the less

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Getting ready for Heritage Classic :lol2:

http://ezpicshare.com/images/flamesmcdo.jpg

MrsM
02-20-2011, 04:41 PM
It's going to be a cold one - I wouldn't want to be there - too far from the ice and too cold. I'll watch it in the comfort of of my home with a nice cold beer and my husband

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Its going to be colder than the one in Pittsburgh no doubt about it, but it should be warmer than the one in Edmonton a few years ago.

Godfather
02-20-2011, 06:36 PM
I'd go :lol: Drink beer all morning, get that drunk armor going.

Gunna be a great day :thumbsup:

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 06:44 PM
...and then forget about the reason you got there in the first place...:lol:

Godfather
02-20-2011, 06:47 PM
:lol: There's a line between 'feeling no pain' and 'having no memories.'

...Personally I'm great at blowing past the first one and straight into the next :lol: But others are more skilled

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Lets just say that its a quite expensive place to get drunk :lol: 100-300$ per ticket...WITHOUT the beer :lol:

Godfather
02-20-2011, 07:12 PM
It's all about the pre-drinking :lol:

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 07:20 PM
The problem then is getting there! :lol:

Godfather
02-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Where there's a will, there's a way!!

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 07:34 PM
The key is not going TOO far in the pre-game drinking :lol: (Will level is quite low when you have passed out :lol:)

samarchepas
02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
The Heritage Classic will start soon!

MrsM
02-21-2011, 01:32 AM
Heritage Classic wasn't too bad - ice seemed like crap - but the players seemed to enjoy it

samarchepas
02-21-2011, 01:51 AM
4-0...ugh! it could have been 8-0 if Price wasn't that great in the first period! (19 saves in that period alone) We need more firepower...I say more even if there is none right now :lol:

Godfather
02-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Fucking calgary... I hate them so much :lol:

samarchepas
02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
I see why...I see why :lol:........:(

samarchepas
02-21-2011, 08:07 PM
The Stars trades James Neal and Matt Niskanen to the Penguins for Alex Goligoski.

Godfather
02-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Cody Hodgson got recalled again :-k

Cygnus would have something to say about his season thus far I'm sure :lol:

I'm not sure what to think of him just yet. He has huge potential.

All I know is he looks a lot like a young Liev Schreiber

samarchepas
02-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Oh great! even more (potential) firepower for tomorrow...:( lol

Godfather
02-21-2011, 08:35 PM
:lol: Hopefully... don't think the management are very happy with their fourth line right now.

samarchepas
02-21-2011, 08:57 PM
:lol: Hopefully... don't think the management are very happy with all the lines right now.
Fixed it to describe what is happening for the Habs :lol:

Godfather
02-21-2011, 09:14 PM
:lol: Fair enough

samarchepas
02-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Rumors are flying around that Spacek is out for the remaining of the year...1 month ago I would be happy about it but not now :lol: (Ever played defense?the Habs need help!! :lol2:)

Godfather
02-21-2011, 09:20 PM
:lol: So... can I just show up at Rogers arena a Habs jersey and we're good to go? I'll be there

samarchepas
02-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Are you taller than 5 ft high ?If so Jacques Martin not like that :lol2:

Godfather
02-22-2011, 01:25 AM
Are you taller than 5 ft high ?If so Jacques Martin not like that :lol2:

I'm taller than David Desharnais at least :lol:

samarchepas
02-22-2011, 02:32 AM
5"6 2th smallest player in the entire NHL :lol: (HUGE talent though)

samarchepas
02-22-2011, 03:19 AM
BTW WTF with Jacques Martin...he just said to the medias that the Habs are thinking too much offensively...1 goal in 2 games!!!

Godfather
02-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I just read in the paper Montreal is a combined 26-4 vs Calgary & Vancouver the last 10 years or so :-k

Guess cus the East is so soft :dance: (sorry, I love Montreal but this is the one day of the year I'll trash talk them :lol:)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-22-2011, 09:13 PM
B's and the Avs are both in action tonite :dance2:

Bruins in Calgary and the Avs are in St Louis

samarchepas
02-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Hamhuis AND Ballard are back tonight...JUST GREAT! :D.....:x (told you that the "defense nightmare" was not that bad lol)...but remember what happened last time we our teams faced each other?;)

Godfather
02-22-2011, 09:17 PM
:lol: We shall see!!

Man.. My brother's new girlfriend from Anahim Lake is at our place this weekend... she goes "oh Canucks are playing Montreal tonight? I know a guy who plays for them from home. Um, Carey Price"

:| You're what?!? :lol: All casual, like it's no big deal knowing one of the best goalies in the world... girls eh...

samarchepas
02-22-2011, 09:36 PM
The last week was kinda ..."depressing" for the habs...4:30 before the game...that "guy" is the Superstar of the team! :lol: (With Subban,Pleky,Gionta)

Godfather
02-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Looking like you guys are getting your big missing d back before the playoffs!?

Ok I'm not imagining this shit :lol:
http://i56.tinypic.com/tzlh1.jpg

samarchepas
02-22-2011, 09:50 PM
:-s.....:wtf:....:lol:

MrsM
02-22-2011, 10:49 PM
:lol: We shall see!!

Man.. My brother's new girlfriend from Anahim Lake is at our place this weekend... she goes "oh Canucks are playing Montreal tonight? I know a guy who plays for them from home. Um, Carey Price"

:| You're what?!? :lol: All casual, like it's no big deal knowing one of the best goalies in the world... girls eh...

You should ask her how she "knows" him :)

Godfather
02-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Soccer I believe she said? Apparently he lived in Anahim lake and she's in some little hamlet not too far away and they grew up playing on some team together, or her brother did?

I dono.. I usually glaze over when she talks, but that got my attention :lol: I'll ask next time I see her.

Wonder if he goes home during the Summer, maybe he can sign a jersey for me :-k The sports store near me has signed jerseys for sale. Trevor Linden's is going for 1100$, Price's for 800$. I waaant a Linden jersey!!

samarchepas
02-22-2011, 11:53 PM
From what I heard...yes he does.

Godfather
02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
He could probably afford to buy the whole dumpy town :lol: Probably not that kinda guy coming from a small town though

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 12:21 AM
3M$ per year for the next 2 years :lol: (and a lot more to come after that) so I guess might now be able to be the entire town yet...but a big part of it :rofl:

Godfather
02-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Damn, you guys have a great contract with him... man I didn't even know he was a BC boy until I looked it up today to see if my bro's gf was bullshitting :lol:

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Good thing he had a "questionable" year last year :lol: (for us at least...cap space-wise) He will certainly hit the jackpot in 2 years :lol:

MrsM
02-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Leafs win!!!

Godfather
02-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Good thing he had a "questionable" year last year :lol: (for us at least...cap space-wise) He will certainly hit the jackpot in 2 years :lol:

Yeah and he'll only get better in all likelihood...

Man Luongo's stats sure have crept up there since Christmas... he's not top in any category but top 5 in most (not too many shut-outs though). Gotta be happy with that :D

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 02:17 AM
Told you at the beginning of the season...he ALWAYS has slow starts at the beginning of the season...nothing new :lol: (The key is finishing strong...but not tonight ;) lol)

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 04:36 AM
Win! :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2011, 12:03 PM
I think there's a misprint at Yahoo sports...it says the Avs won last night :-k

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 03:45 PM
If its an error all sports networks got it wrong :lol: (RDS,TSN,ESPN...etc) :razz:

MrsM
02-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Let me try to get this straight ...
Samarchepas likes the Habs
Lance likes the Avs
Godfather likes the Canucks

Am I missing anyone?

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
You can add the Bruins for Lance but you got it right.(And the Leafs for you ;)...lol)

MrsM
02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Go Leafs Go!!!!

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2011, 03:59 PM
If its an error all sports networks got it wrong :lol: (RDS,TSN,ESPN...etc) :razz:

But the Avs don't win...all they do is lose :confused:

Lance likes the Avs

Am I missing anyone?

You can add the Bruins for Lance but you got it right.(And the Leafs for you ;)...lol)

Yup, Avs and Bruins for me....Bruins because I'm from/grew up in New England and the Avs because I live here now and I always support the hometown teams :thumbsup:

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Well it looks like they won one yesterday...:lol: (lost 10 in a row...as you certainly know :lol:)

Joebob034
02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Lance likes the Avs

Am I missing anyone?

I'm pretty impartial :lol:

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Your sig gives a LITTLE hint Joebob :lol:

MrsM
02-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Ok...

Lance likes the Avs and Bruins
Joebob034 likes Red Wings
MrsM likes the Leafs

This is good to know so I can rub it in when the Leafs win :)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
You can add DGX to the list, he's a Flyers fan :)

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Ok...

Lance likes the Avs and Bruins
Joebob034 likes Red Wings
MrsM likes the Leafs

This is good to know so I can rub it in when the Leafs win :)

It can also go the other way around ;)....(like tomorrow :razz:)

Godfather
02-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Sonofabitch....

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 07:50 PM
What? Didn't digest yesterday's game?:lol: (I was expecting a 6-2 Canucks game btw)

Godfather
02-23-2011, 07:53 PM
:lol: I was expecting it to be close like it was, just wanted to win :x

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 08:16 PM
I was expecting (or hoping) a goalie match-up and that's what we got :lol:...weird game...The Canucks defense come out slow in the first...the Habs took advantage of it, and Price shut the door in the 3rd. First win in Vancouver since 2000 :lol:!

Godfather
02-23-2011, 08:34 PM
I can't believe Price shut us down in that 3rd period.... that was heartbreaking :lol:

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Yup getting shutout twice (well didn't count as a shutout yesterday but you get my point :lol:) by a kid from your home town...;) (considering what happened last time he had a game in Vancouver...lost 7-1)

Godfather
02-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Yeah it was a huge game for him... 37 saves or something?

samarchepas
02-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Yup 37 saves (Had to check it up :lol:)...he was 13 years old the last time the Habs won in Vancouver :lol:

samarchepas
02-24-2011, 01:50 AM
OMG...its worse than I thought about yesterday...9 shots for the Habs in the last 2 periods!! Yup GF...you got robbed! :lol:

Godfather
02-24-2011, 06:59 AM
:lol: Ouch

Kesler played for almost 30 minutes while Hodgeson (who we sent down a few weeks ago to get more time) played under 5 minutes. Kelser played amazingly, despite being -2, but Hodgeson can't be developed so carelessly... And I can't help but think a team just isn't going to win in the loooong stretch of the playoffs with one forward playing half the damned game. Time to check that ego. I'm glad Ryan Kesler is having a career high season but he doesn't pass (and it gets worse when he's not putting up points) and hogs ice time... I would LOVE to know what the coaches thought about that because I'm not sure if his play bothers or thrills me sometimes :lol:

If the 4th line is so incapable of producing or being trusted not to get scored on, we need to make a trade before Monday to solidify it. The other 3 lines are set but we've rotated something like 14 guys through the 4th line!!!

Teh One Who Knocks
02-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Now things are back to normal....the Avs got slaughtered by the worst team in the NHL :dance2:

samarchepas
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Now things are back to normal....the Avs got slaughtered by the worst team in the NHL :dance2:
May they :rip:.....:lol:

samarchepas
02-24-2011, 03:32 PM
The Anaheim Ducks continue to restructure their goaltending as they have acquired Dan Ellis from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for goaltender Curtis McElhinney.

samarchepas
02-24-2011, 06:06 PM
The Montreal Canadiens have exchanged forward prospect Ben Maxwell and a fourth round draft pick to the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for defenceman Brent Sopel and forward Nigel Dawes and Alex Kovalev was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a conditional 7th round pick.

Godfather
02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
The Montreal Canadiens have exchanged forward prospect Ben Maxwell and a fourth round draft pick to the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for defenceman Brent Sopel and forward Nigel Dawes and Alex Kovalev was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a conditional 7th round pick.

I'm going to text him and ask how he feels about being traded for the ugliest guy in the league (Sopel) :P

:lol: Maybe not... probably a bitter sweet trade for him. I imagine he'll get some NHL time now but going from one of the best Hockey towns to one of the worst is a bit rough

Guess I have to start following Atlanta's roster :lol: Maybe some of the Chi town boys will see him play for the Wolves!!

samarchepas
02-24-2011, 07:10 PM
I didn't see him play for the Habs soon anyway...better for him to move on(and he might play for the Nordiques at some point ;)...)...and on Sopel I can't care less if he is ugly or not :rofl:...we needed a good defensive defenseman and thats what we got.

Godfather
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM
:lol: Sopel played for the Canucks in two different stints... he's an ok defensemen. You guys needed it badly. But GOD is he ugly

Yeah for sure, Maxwell wasn't going to crack the Habs lineup, not this season for sure.

Looks like guys like Ben Eager and Justin Slater aren't having good seasons on the 4th line. Maybe they brought in Ben to make them nervous or even take their spots.

I've been researching the Chicago Bears. They have 4 guys with more points than Ben... but two of them aren't prospects, they're older guys ages 36 and 32. The other two are younger but both are 5'9 which gives them little hope of being NHL material. David Desharnais is 5'6 and doing well but that's rare... the vast majority are over 6 feet

It's not all about points and I know I'm just staring at stats and giving reasons Ben has a shot at playing in the NHL full time, but whatever he's a great dude and deserved it :lol:

samarchepas
02-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Dude...its the NHL not a beauty Pageant :rofl:...back to Maxwell..he is better off somewhere else...we had too much young kids coming in playing center for the Bulldogs. (and juniors)

Godfather
02-24-2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5W73HaVQBg

:lol:

Godfather
02-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Newly acquired forward Ben Maxwell will head to the Chicago Wolves for the time being but GM Rick Dudley figures he’s close to the top of the list when it comes time to bring someone else up from the AHL and he thinks he’ll probably get some time here in Atlanta before the end of the season.

“Ben Maxwell is a skilled guy that I personally and most of our staff feel has a real chance to be a point-producing forward in the National Hockey League,” Dudley said this afternoon.

Spencer Machacek has some familiarity with Maxwell having played against him in the WHL (Machacek was with the Vancouver Giants and Maxwell with the Kootenay Ice) and AHL, but even though they’re both from the Vancouver area they’ve never actually met.

“He’s a good player. He sees the ice well and can really move the puck. He’s a good skill player. He had some tough luck in junior with injuries, but I played against him some in the AHL two the last few years. He ran their power play. A really smart player. I’ve never actually met him though. He played in Kootenay (WHL) the year before my little brother went there.”

Maxwell will be reunited with a former coach in Chicago- the Wolves’ head coach is Don Lever and he was the head coach in Hamilton during Maxwell’s rookie AHL season before taking the job with the Wolves in 2009-10. Maxwell’s coach this season happened to be former Thrashers assistant coach Randy Cunneyworth. Between the two connections you can be sure the Thrashers scouting staff had all the intel they needed.

As for the trade itself, Dudley said it was about making room for other players.

“It was really about moving an older guy who was a Group III free agent and a situation where we had seven NHL defensemen on our roster, and giving an opportunity to our young guys.”

Along with Maxwell the Thrashers acquired a fourth round draft pick that could be held onto or packaged in another deal.

“You never know with those things,” said Dudley. “They become more and more valuable as time goes on. We could just keep it if we like what’s there or we could move it as early as this week. It’s an asset.”

With the trade deadline four days away (3 pm on Monday) Dudley says talk is picking up but nothing is imminent. Don’t expect him to give up on his quest to bring in more scoring though.

“There’s a lot of talk. Every once in a while there are conversations that seem to make sense to both parties like the ones we’ve had with Boston and Montreal in the last week… We’re not satisfied with what has been happening on the ice lately and we’re going to try to put the right pieces in place.”

Stay tuned throughout the weekend and into the day on Monday to see what else the freshly extended GM has up his sleeves.

MrsM
02-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Toronto vs Montreal - may the best team win - and by that I mean Toronto :dance:

Godfather
02-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Canucks play the Blues tonight :D

MrsM
02-25-2011, 12:21 AM
WTF - Alex Kovalev was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a conditional 7th round pick - I guess it's better than putting him on waivers. I thought you could at least get 3 to 5th round pick

samarchepas
02-25-2011, 12:28 AM
He is UFA at the end of the season...and having a bad year :lol:

Godfather
02-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Yeah nobody is going to trade jack shit for a guy with 4 months left until becoming a UFA :lol:

Great trade if the Pengs can afford to sign him again... doubt it though

samarchepas
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
27 points for 5M$....:lol:

Godfather
02-25-2011, 12:44 AM
:lol: Dividing points into dollars is an ugly way of judging a player... but sometimes you can't help but do it and cringe

samarchepas
02-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Don't worry I don't judge by dollars only...we had him for years...he can be a great player...1 game out of 5 :lol:

Godfather
02-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Great game! Canucks win :D

We have now alternated wins and losses for 9 straight games... but it could be worse: we haven't lost two game in a row in over 3 months!

Solid production from the depth guys tonight too. St Louis could have just as easily won that given their dominance in the second period!

RBP
02-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Hawks won too. :woot:

Godfather
02-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Yo RBP you even get to any Chicago Wolves games?

samarchepas
02-25-2011, 11:18 AM
The Habs :D....:(...no comment :lol:

MrsM
02-25-2011, 01:11 PM
The habs made it interesting, but interesting doesn't win games :dance:

RBP
02-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Yo RBP you even get to any Chicago Wolves games?

I should but haven't - cheap seats - but no seats are cheaper than the one in the living room. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Best value for your money in Denver are tix to the University of Denver games. Prices are reasonable and college hockey is good stuff :thumbsup:

MrsM
02-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Ive been to more OHL games than NHL games - Leaf tickets are big $$$

Teh One Who Knocks
02-25-2011, 03:38 PM

So are the Avalanche....it's crazy :wha:

samarchepas
02-25-2011, 04:16 PM
The refs made it interesting, but interesting wins games :dance:

fixed it for you :lol:...serious it was HORRIBLE last night (not just for the Habs...So I don't say that because we lost.

MrsM
02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
fixed it for you :lol:...serious it was HORRIBLE last night (not just for the Habs...So I don't say that because we lost.

Agreed - wasn't the best ref'ed game - but that doesn't show on the gamesheet :dance:

The Leafs don't win much, So I need to celebrate when they do :)

samarchepas
02-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Last game just confirmed my fear...if the Habs get hit hard...fail.(Unless the goalie is in God Mode :lol:)

Godfather
02-25-2011, 04:51 PM

CHL hockey is great... the WHL here is really cheap too. I've been to countless Giants games. Those boys hit and fight hard because they have nothing to lose and everything to gain :thumbsup:

samarchepas
02-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Nothing to lose? Strongly disagree there :lol:...Last time I checked a spot in the NHL is quite something to lose :lol:

Godfather
02-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Most of the guys in the CHL don't have the NHL :slap: Just the hopes of being drafted if they play their hearts out.

I stand by how I worded it. Most of them have nothing to lose by giving it their all... their spot in the NHL is something earned , not lost

Godfather
02-25-2011, 05:44 PM
New Jersey is 9-0-1 in their last 10 :lol:

Can you imagine if they, Calgary and Toronto make the playoffs?! :lol:

MrsM
02-25-2011, 05:54 PM
All I care about right now is that toronto finishes as high as possible - just so Boston gets a lower pick. They will be killed in the playoffs.

samarchepas
02-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Most of the guys in the CHL don't have the NHL :slap: Just the hopes of being drafted if they play their hearts out.

I stand by how I worded it. Most of them have nothing to lose by giving it their all... their spot in the NHL is something earned , not lost
As I said...sure they have something to lose if they don't "play their hearts out"...talent ain't everything.

All I care about right now is that toronto finishes as high as possible - just so Boston gets a lower pick. They will be killed in the playoffs.

Strangely enough...I agree with you 100%...as long as its not taking them any higher than the 9th spot in the east...:lol:...;)

Godfather
02-25-2011, 07:07 PM
I agree too... I just can't believe we're talking about Toronto making the playoffs, it's like the twilight zone :P

MrsM
02-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Stranger things have happened in my lifetime ... although the leafs winning the cup is not one of them :(

samarchepas
02-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Well it did happen for me...I was just too young to remember it...I was 4 when the Habs won it :lol:....:(

Godfather
02-25-2011, 07:41 PM
I was 6 when the canucks lost in game 7 of the finals in 1994 :( Old enough to remember being miserable :lol:

samarchepas
02-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Remember that video of Crosby hitting a pyramid of pucks?...thats a modified video of it :lol: (might make you forget about 1994 for a while ;) lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=559ewOnxjS4&feature=related

samarchepas
02-27-2011, 01:37 AM
The Habs Won 4-3 against the Hurricanes! :dance:

MrsM
02-27-2011, 01:39 AM
It was a close one

the leafs game is killing me - currently 5-5 vs the pens

samarchepas
02-27-2011, 01:44 AM
Well at least you have a point in it :lol: (so far)

MrsM
02-27-2011, 01:59 AM
Just the one point tonight. :(

samarchepas
02-27-2011, 02:07 AM
Better than none ;). (BTW we beat the Hurricanes...the one that hold the 8th spot...so I guess the Habs helped you tonight :lol:)

MrsM
02-27-2011, 02:12 AM
Yes - thanks for that :)

samarchepas
02-27-2011, 03:06 AM
oh! and more importantly...The Sabres lost too! :)...so everyone in for the 8th spot "race" lost tonight.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Guess who won the game between Boston and Vancouver last night :-k

http://i.imgur.com/GvJ2s.jpg

:banana: :cheerlead: :banana: :cheerlead:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Lucic scores! :banana:

http://i.imgur.com/ZQwKM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PwHIB.jpg

Godfather
02-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Damn boston :x

I'm glad it was Lucic though, good Vancouver boy :thumbsup:

That's also the 10th game in a row we've switched off between losing and winning!! It's not terrible but it's not great either...

samarchepas
02-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Well it should be the last time you face them this year...unless...:lol: (unless you beat them in 4 in the Stanley Cup Finals :dance:)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Unless Thomas breaks both his legs and both his arms, nobody is gonna sweep Boston in the playoffs ;)

samarchepas
02-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Ok then...in 5 :lol:...;)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Bruins are only 2 points away from the #2 seed in the east too :dance2:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-27-2011, 04:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YL8pk.jpg (http://imgur.com/YL8pk)

Thomas is #1 in the NHL in GAA, #1 in save percentage, tied for #2 in wins (28), and #2 in shut outs :banana:

Godfather
02-27-2011, 09:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YL8pk.jpg (http://imgur.com/YL8pk)

Thomas is #1 in the NHL in GAA, #1 in save percentage, tied for #2 in wins (28), and #2 in shut outs :banana:

Nucks are doing ok stats wise too :P :dance:
http://i52.tinypic.com/358tis3.png

That Boston game was a great one... Boston won the second and we outplayed in the third but Thomas was too good and we missed a couple big opportunities

Oh well, see ya in the playoffs I hope!

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2011, 02:24 AM
That Boston game was a great one... Boston won the second and we outplayed in the third but Thomas was too good and we missed a couple big opportunities

Oh well, see ya in the playoffs I hope!

You know what made it a great one? Boston winning the game :banana:

:nana:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2011, 03:06 AM
And the B's win again tonite :dance2:

samarchepas
02-28-2011, 03:15 AM
The funny thing about you have 2 favorite teams...one that is dominating mostly every night (Thanks to Thomas for some of them)...and the other one getting dominated every night :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2011, 03:19 AM
The funny thing about you have 2 favorite teams...one that is dominating mostly every night (Thanks to Thomas for some of them)...and the other one getting dominated every night :lol:

The Avs lost again tonite....13 out of 14 games now :banana:

samarchepas
02-28-2011, 03:26 AM
Good thing you have the Bruins to cheer you up...:lol:

Joebob034
02-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Wings sign Jimmy Howard to 2-year extension, it's his team now and they'll only go as far as he takes them

Godfather
02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Another boring deadline around here :-k

I didn't expect anything to happen though... Gillis doesn't like late season trades it would seem and at this point I'm not going to criticize him :lol:

Kinda seemed like they were showcasing Cody Hodgeson for a trade though... bringing him up and down twice in a month and then not giving him many minutes to play? Seemed like he might get traded. Guess not.

samarchepas
02-28-2011, 07:51 PM
You needed more 3rd and 4th line players right?well that is what you got with Higgins and Lapierre :lol:

MrsM
02-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Not a lot of action - just got back into town and got the update. Penner and a few other minor players.

samarchepas
02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Well one thing for sure...The Kings overpaid for him BIG time!!first-round draft pick, a 2012 conditional second-rounder, and defenceman Colten Teuber (former 1st round pick)

MrsM
02-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Agreed

samarchepas
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
If you look at it...its about the same price Toronto paid for Kessel (if you forget at what rank Toronto was in the standings last year...) and I'd say that talent-wise Kessel is 2x better than Penner (6"4...but 250lbs..not working out much huh?:lol:)

MrsM
02-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Penner has the playoff performance and build to change a game (although he has not shown it). Kessel has the hands (sometimes) but doesn't like getting dirty. I would rather kessel as well but mostly because of Penners contract. both are not performing well

samarchepas
02-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Playoffs experience sure...but nothing wow :lol:3 goals, 6 assists in 05-06 and 3 goals 5 assists in 06-07 and no playoffs for him ever since...there was a rumor going around that the Habs had traded Jarred Tinordi (Our last 1st round pick...6"6 defenseman...one of our best prospects on defense) and a 1st round pick ...and I was PISSED when I heard that! (confirmed by both TSN,RDS and Sportsnet...to be later confirmed to be false)...good thing it was only a rumor!

Godfather
02-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Wooh! We got Lapierre!! That's pretty good. Solid way to make a cup run this year!!

I've looked at Higgins stats.. nothing too impressive but neither are the stats of the 15 guys who have played 4th line for us this season so hopefully he can shake it up a bit!

Too bad Maxwell got traded, that'd be good new for him as a Center in Montreal :lol:

samarchepas
02-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Burrows and Lapierre in the same team...oh boy! :lol: Funny thing about him...its RDS that told him that he was traded :lol: oh and BTW Maxwell is supposed to play tomorrow against the Habs.

Godfather
03-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Really!? He said on facebook he was going to Chicago. Didn't expect a call-up that quickly

Good for him :D I hope he gets the monkey off his back and scores in the NHL soon here. 20 games without a point has got to be frustrating.

Can you imagine if he scored his first NHL goal against the Habs :lol: That'd feel good for a young NHL'er

samarchepas
03-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Oh he did go there :lol:
http://thrashers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=554608
but he got called back up already.

Godfather
03-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Yep, good for him! He has strong AHL stats and the Thrashers don't :lol:

Wonder if I could con him into sucker-punching Big Buf for me :-k I still hold a grudge from the playoffs

samarchepas
03-01-2011, 02:05 AM
giving a sucker punch to the face to the best defenseman in your new team..:-k...perfect way to make new friends :rofl:

Godfather
03-01-2011, 07:11 AM
But it'd feel soooooooo good. God dammed Byfuglien

It pains me that I can even spell the guy's name correctly... probably because it was all over the news the last two playoff runs in a row :wha: :lol:

Jezter
03-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Seems like we Finns are now more famous for our goalkeepers in the NHL. It used to be so that we had good strikers...but they got old. Not that many good defenders out there anymore either...and they are getting old aswell. We need new, young, Finn blood in there! But it is tough when the Russkis are stealing most of them to play for their KHL. :lol:

Godfather
03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Hey, the KHL is a good option... it pays more than the AHL, and for European boys it's close to home

I've heard if you've even played one NHL game your get paid far more in the KHL (just so they can advertise they've taken you from the NHL) :lol:

Jezter
03-01-2011, 06:10 PM
KHL is good, yes. Lots of money has brought lots of quality players. However, NHL is still far more known and respected. So that is why I would like to see more good, young Finns making it there.

Godfather
03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Ya for sure.. everyone wants their country represented a little more... seems like the only country majorly on the rise in the NHL is the USA! Canada's steak is firm but it's the European countries whose presence seems to be dwindling as a result of more local North American talent

Not sure there's much that can be done really! America is really getting into the sport it would seem. They're by no means an underdog any longer, regardless of what Brian Burke wanted people to think :lol: