PDA

View Full Version : NHL and other ice hockey discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

samarchepas
10-18-2011, 04:33 PM
:lol: Who knows, I hope there is more competition in the Northwest division this year. The Canucks need some fire under their asses...

The Oilers MIGHT do just that :lol: (Lots of young guns in there...defense might still be an issue though)

Teh One Who Knocks
10-18-2011, 04:34 PM
The Bruins kinda stumbled out of the gate so far and are only 2-3 :wha:

MrsM
10-18-2011, 04:37 PM
The Leafs did the same last year (4-0) if I remember correctly :-k...we also know how it ended :lol:

I have blocked that out of my memory :dance:

samarchepas
10-18-2011, 04:38 PM
I have blocked that out of my memory :dance:
You blocked the only good part of the year you had all season?:huh:

MrsM
10-18-2011, 04:39 PM
You blocked the only good part of the year you had all season?:huh:

The ending is what I blocked :slap:

Godfather
10-19-2011, 04:38 AM
Typical Luongo October.... 4 goals on 19 shots.

People are starting to say he has lost his mojo, Vancouver is still the Goalie Graveyard. God I hope they're wrong. At least we have a very strong back-up goalie.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Okay, enough with the Stanley Cup hangover Bruins, get your act together :x

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Okay, enough with the Stanley Cup hangover Bruins, get your act together :x

:hand:

Mark Recchi retired. The team sucks now.

Godfather
10-19-2011, 04:06 PM
At least they won last year... the Canucks are suffering the same hangover and they don't have shit to show for it. No rings, no cup, no banner, no amazing $150,000 bar tab :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 04:12 PM
:hand:

Mark Recchi retired. The team sucks now.

:slap:

At least they won last year... the Canucks are suffering the same hangover and they don't have shit to show for it. No rings, no cup, no banner, no amazing $150,000 bar tab :lol:

That makes me feel better, but only slightly :P

Godfather
10-19-2011, 04:36 PM
:lol:

Well I dono about Boston but Vancouver started out this bad last year too... that's helping me sleep a bit at night :P

Teh One Who Knocks
10-21-2011, 10:39 AM
I wonder who won the Bruins/Leafs game? :-k

:shifty:

FBD
10-21-2011, 11:20 AM
when's the stanley cup start? :lol:

MrsM
10-21-2011, 02:08 PM
I wonder who won the Bruins/Leafs game? :-k

:shifty:

Ya ya - Eventually their sloppy play was going to catch up with them

samarchepas
10-21-2011, 03:47 PM
The Standing in the NHL right...a real mess :lol: (lots of top ranking teams are at the bottom)

Godfather
10-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Last I read, the final 4 teams from last years NHL Conference Finals (SJS, Van, Bost, TBL) had won a total of 6/26 games :lol:

Sloooooow start.

samarchepas
10-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok who the hell made the schedule?! not a game for us till FRIDAY! :x

Joebob034
10-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Wings lock up Kronwall for 7 more years :thumbsup:

samarchepas
10-31-2011, 09:35 PM

He is the only 1st rounder they have right? :lol: (Incredible when you look at all the talent there is in that team! )

Godfather
11-04-2011, 07:06 AM
I know it's cleche but holy crap the Canucks are a roller coaster ride so far this season...

JoeyB
11-04-2011, 07:12 AM

I'm always surprised when I see seven year contracts, no matter what the sport.

samarchepas
11-04-2011, 03:21 PM
The Leafs are 1st in the East!!!! The end of the world is coming!!!!:omfg::nervous::hills:

MrsM
11-04-2011, 03:27 PM
The Leafs are 1st in the East!!!! The end of the world is coming!!!!:omfg::nervous::hills:

:dance: :dance2:

Godfather
11-04-2011, 03:49 PM

Can we just reset this season and start over :lol: Nothing makes sense...

Joebob034
11-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I know it's cleche but holy crap the Canucks are a roller coaster ride so far this season...

talk about roller coaster, the Wings started 5-0 and now have lost 6 in a row :banghead:

I'm always surprised when I see seven year contracts, no matter what the sport.

they gave Zetterberg a 12 year contract a couple of years ago.

MrsM
11-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Can we just reset this season and start over :lol: Nothing makes sense...

Nope - all makes sense to me :)

samarchepas
11-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Pekka Rinne got a 7 years contract yesterday too.

Joebob034
11-04-2011, 06:41 PM
and now he's the highest paid goalie in the NHL, I dunno how I feel about that

samarchepas
11-04-2011, 07:00 PM
and now he's the highest paid goalie in the NHL, I dunno how I feel about that

No he is not, Ilya Bryzgalov gets 10M$ and Rinne is "only" getting 4M$ this year (The extension only starts next year)

JoeyB
11-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Pekka Rinne got a 7 years contract yesterday too.

Is there less incidence of career ending injury in hockey compared to other sports?

samarchepas
11-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Is there less incidence of career ending injury in hockey compared to other sports?

Nope, in fact it is more dangerous than most sports :lol: (Rick DiPietro signed a 15 years contract...and spent most of it so far on the injury list :lol: )

Joebob034
11-04-2011, 07:46 PM
No he is not, Ilya Bryzgalov gets 10M$ and Rinne is "only" getting 4M$ this year (The extension only starts next year)

I think what it is, is that Rinne is getting the biggest percentage of his teams money. So he's the biggest salary cap hit of any goalie to his team.

Nov 3, 2011 - Pekka Rinne is now the highest-paid goaltender in the NHL. The Nashville Predators signed their stud netminder to a seven-year, $49 million contract extension. With an average annual value of $7 million per season, he's making more than every other goalie in the league.

Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers previously held that post -- technically, he'll hold it until next season when Rinne's contract extension kicks in -- with a cap hit of $6.875 million per season.

hopefully this means they won't have as much money to sign Shea Weber and he can come on over to Detroit next season :dance: or possibly Suter

samarchepas
11-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I think what it is, is that Rinne is getting the biggest percentage of his teams money. So he's the biggest salary cap hit of any goalie to his team.

again....Starting next year....so will not is :lol: and BTW the long term contracts lately are most likely due to the fact that the CBA ends this year so the teams are signing their players right now because they don't know what the next CBA will look like.

JoeyB
11-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Nope, in fact it is more dangerous than most sports :lol: (Rick DiPietro signed a 15 years contract...and spent most of it so far on the injury list :lol: )

Hmm, which begs the question why all the very, very long term contracts?

MrsM
11-04-2011, 08:30 PM

It's a gamble - if the player is good then in the last few yrs of their contract they are a steal because 7yrs from now saleries will most likely be higher - I believe that if they get hurt they have some insurance that pays most or at least some of the contract - and if they end up sucking - then they can buy the player out.

samarchepas
11-04-2011, 08:38 PM
It's a gamble - if the player is good then in the last few yrs of their contract they are a steal because 7yrs from now saleries will most likely be higher - I believe that if they get hurt they have some insurance that pays most or at least some of the contract - and if they end up sucking - then they can buy the player out.

...or hope to find some GM willing to take the player in question...that's how we got Scott Gomez...Thank you, Glen Sather...:sad:

Godfather
11-05-2011, 01:04 AM

There is an annual team salary cap in the NHL, and how much a player's cap hit is is the average of his contract. So give a guy a 15 year contract with the first years at $8 million and the last half at $1 million/year and you have a super-star player for a cap hit of a very reasonable/unfair $5 million.

It needs to be weened out.

samarchepas
11-05-2011, 02:43 AM
There is an annual team salary cap in the NHL, and how much a player's cap hit is is the average of his contract. So give a guy a 15 year contract with the first years at $8 million and the last half at $1 million/year and you have a super-star player for a cap hit of a very reasonable/unfair $5 million.

It needs to be weened out.
That is why we so a lot of front loaded contracts right now...probably won't make it passed the next CBA (hopefully) It should be, 10M$ a year= 10M$ cap hit even if it's 100 years long :lol:
Because right now its the total of the contract divided by the number of years the contract = cap hit (which IMO is stupid and easy to work around it.)

JoeyB
11-05-2011, 04:59 AM
I love how I don't even watch hockey but I've managed to inspire quite a lot of discussion in this thread. Didn't know any of that average salary cap stuff or how spirited the fans felt about it.

Just so you know: I don't dislike hockey like I do handegg. It's a decent sport, I just don't follow it regularly.

Godfather
11-05-2011, 06:54 AM
That is why we so a lot of front loaded contracts right now...probably won't make it passed the next CBA (hopefully) It should be, 10M$ a year= 10M$ cap hit even if it's 100 years long :lol:
Because right now its the total of the contract divided by the number of years the contract = cap hit (which IMO is stupid and easy to work around it.)

Yeah it's a bit like communism... interesting idea but in practice people just manipulate the hell out of it. When will they cap the maximum length of contracts at something reasonable like 4-6 or make a player's salary hit the actual cash earnings from that year - including these trendy signing bonus'....

Godfather
11-05-2011, 06:58 AM
I love how I don't even watch hockey but I've managed to inspire quite a lot of discussion in this thread. Didn't know any of that average salary cap stuff or how spirited the fans felt about it.

Just so you know: I don't dislike hockey like I do handegg. It's a decent sport, I just don't follow it regularly.

The sport has been in an evolutionary phase since the Lockout. There are a lot of fans with big ideas to fix problems... frankly most of them are smarter than anything the League's commissioner has come up with. :lol:

You should give it a shot as a fan though man... it's incredibly fast, requires a huge amount of skill, finesse and speed but toughness and strength at the same time. Unbelievable athleticism in the game today.

samarchepas
11-05-2011, 07:40 AM
The sport has been in an evolutionary phase since the Lockout. There are a lot of fans with big ideas to fix problems... frankly most of them are smarter than anything the League's commissioner has come up with. :lol:

You should give it a shot as a fan though man... it's incredibly fast, requires a huge amount of skill, finesse and speed but toughness and strength at the same time. Unbelievable athleticism in the game today.
You forgot the endless shouting at the refs every minute when they miss a call! :lol:

Shady
11-06-2011, 02:25 AM

You get an even greater apreciation for the game and its skilled players when you start playing it. :thumbsup:

Godfather
11-06-2011, 02:38 AM
You get an even greater apreciation for the game and its skilled players when you start playing it. :thumbsup:

Greatest sport to play in my mind. If I could be on 7 beer league teams and play 7 nights a week I would :lol:

samarchepas
11-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Greatest sport to play in my mind. If I could be on 7 beer league teams and play 7 nights a week I would :lol:

That's what sucks the most being disabled :lol: (can't really play it other than on NHL 12 :lol:) There is sledge hockey that looks awesome to play...but I live in the middle of nowhere so its not an option either :lol:

Godfather
11-06-2011, 04:38 AM
That's what sucks the most being disabled :lol: (can't really play it other than on NHL 12 :lol:) There is sledge hockey that looks awesome to play...but I live in the middle of nowhere so its not an option either :lol:

That's too bad, I would love to try sledge hockey too! If you ever get the chance, let me know how it is. Saw a documentary during the Olympics - didn't know those crazy bastards stab each other with the spiky end of their hockey sticks (which they use to maneuver) and all of them have some gnarly scars from it :lol: Looks hard core...

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2011, 11:17 AM
So, did Toronto forget to put in a goalie yesterday against Boston? :-k

:dance:

MrsM
11-06-2011, 02:35 PM
So, did Toronto forget to put in a goalie yesterday against Boston? :-k

:dance:

I didn't watch it last night so I would think so based on the score :facepalm:

samarchepas
11-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Was yesterday the official beatings day or something? :lol: (Bruins vs Leafs 7-0, Wings vs Ducks 5-0 and Flyers vs Jackets 9-2)

Leefro
11-09-2011, 12:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXrqv7jQ6u8

Teh One Who Knocks
11-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Fleury speaks on harsh reality of abuse (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Penn-State-scandal-Theo-Fleury-speaks-of-childrens-road-to-recovery-111011)

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Bruins surprise serviceman’s parents, bring son home
By Harrison Mooney - Yahoo! NHL Blog

http://i.imgur.com/OkJfE.jpg

While most of the talk from Saturday's game between the Boston Bruins and the Buffalo Sabres is focused around Milan Lucic's run at Ryan Miller, the game also featured another moment worth revisiting.

In honour of the Veteran's Day weekend, the Bruins invited Darren and Lori Jacobs, the parents of Lt. Charles Jacobs, currently serving overseas, to drop the ceremonial puck. For the past seven months, Charles has been in Afghanistan with the 182nd infantry of the Massachusetts Army National Guard.

Or better, "had" been. Unbeknownst to his parents, the Bruins brought him home on leave to join them at centre ice and present them with the puck. Watch and weep.

Link to video: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=134666

Pretty awesome.

Here's an exercise: watch Mrs. Jacobs the entire time and try not to get misty-eyed. I submit that, if you're human, it's nigh impossible, like listening to Adele's "Someone Like You". In terms of moments that induce sobbing, it's up there with the last 15 minutes of "Toy Story 3".

I feel like I've divulged too much.

Lastly, it's a common observation, but Zdeno Chara is pretty tall, huh? With his arms hanging down at his side, his elbows are nearly above Mrs. Jacobs's head.

Oofty Goofty
11-17-2011, 09:03 PM
:cheerlead:According to reports, The Dallas Stars have been sold!:cheerlead:

:cheerlead::cheerlead::cheerlead::cheerlead::cheer lead:THIS IS A HAPPY DAY:cheerlead::cheerlead::cheerlead::cheerlead::ch eerlead:

:cheerlead::cheerlead::cheerlead::cheerlead::cheer lead:Tom Hicks is finally out of the Dallas/Fort Worth sports scene!:cheerlead::cheerlead::cheerlead::cheerlead: :cheerlead:
This is the idiot owner that once said winning the Stanley Cup was unfortunate.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/11/17/2568610/dallas-stars-sale-tom-gaglardi-owner

Richard Cranium
11-22-2011, 07:27 PM
OK guys, I need some advice.. Is the NHL center ice package or whatever its called worth a shit? I wanna watch me some hockey. I don't do cable, just internet, netflix etc..

What if any pc based options do I have?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-22-2011, 08:11 PM
OK guys, I need some advice.. Is the NHL center ice package or whatever its called worth a shit? I wanna watch me some hockey. I don't do cable, just internet, netflix etc..

What if any pc based options do I have?

No idea....didn't even know they had an internet option for viewing.

I got it from Comcast on cable one year, it was great. You can watch every game that's televised.

Richard Cranium
11-22-2011, 08:53 PM
This is what I'm looking at. https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/secure/gclsignup?intcmpid=gcl:faq

samarchepas
11-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Blackouts are still a possibility though ( had it last year) Depending on where you are.It works and it's cheaper than the normal cable CenterIce.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-24-2011, 11:41 AM
10 wins in a row for the B's :cheers:

Godfather
11-24-2011, 04:44 PM
You bastards :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-24-2011, 08:39 PM
:nana:

Joebob034
11-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Caps and Canes fire their head coaches

Godfather
11-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Boudrea fired eh... I've heard some rumors he and Ovie were in a serious power struggle since that incident with him calling his coach a Fat F*ck for not playing him the last minute of a hockey game down by one

But the team insisted everything was good. Either way, Ovie and Semin haven't even been trying this year, time for a change.

samarchepas
11-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Kirk Muller will replace Maurice and Dale Hunter will replace Boudreau (and the fat f*uck incident....happens ALL the time...the camera just happened to be right there when it happened :lol:

Godfather
11-28-2011, 09:42 PM
For sure. That one just got the press poking around. Semin and Ovie could be the best players in the league but they just don't care. Maybe Hunter will be able to control them, get their asses in gear. He has done some good things in London

samarchepas
11-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Semin was always like that...nothing new...but Ovy...something's wrong here (maybe it was just the coach...dunno)

Godfather
11-28-2011, 09:49 PM
For sure.

samarchepas
12-01-2011, 06:55 AM
The Anaheim Ducks have removed head coach Randy Carlyle and replaced him with former Washington Capitals bench boss Bruce Boudreau. :shock:!!! (that's after a 4-1 WIN against the Habs BTW)

Godfather
12-01-2011, 07:29 AM
:lol: Strange eh...

They look so much alike, will it even make a difference :P Should be interesting. Boudrea's old and new team both have underperforming stars.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Bruins finished the month of November at 12-0-1....first time since 1969 they have had a month without a loss in regulation :cheers:

samarchepas
12-01-2011, 07:02 PM
:lol: Strange eh...

They look so much alike, will it even make a difference :P Should be interesting. Boudrea's old and new team both have underperforming stars.

Poor Boudreau....2 whole days without a job :sad:.....:rofl:

DemonGeminiX
12-02-2011, 03:54 AM
Dale Hunter is coaching the Caps now? Wasn't he an enforcer for the Caps back in his playing days? What the hell does an enforcer know about coaching?

Godfather
12-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Just got back from the game, got given great seats by my boss. The 2nd period was unreal (4 goaltenders :lol: ). Shame we lost in the last 90 seconds, outshot the hell outa them, shoulda had it.

Live hockey is so awesome... love to go more than once or twice a year

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Just got back from the game, got given great seats by my boss. The 2nd period was unreal (4 goaltenders :lol: ). Shame we lost in the last 90 seconds, outshot the hell outa them, shoulda had it.

Live hockey is so awesome... love to go more than once or twice a year

Pro hockey is just too expensive...I haven't been to an Avs game in years. Cheapest seats in the lower section are somewhere around $90/each now :|

Godfather
12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Tell me about it :wha: I think at best I could go scalp last minute ticket on a weeknight for a crappier team for maaaaybe 80$/ticket if I'm super lucky :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2011, 04:51 PM
That's why I love college hockey....when I went to the DU game a few weeks ago, we sat third row at the face off circle (in one of the ends) and the tickets were $30. Kinda hard to beat that....they would have been $175 seats at an Avalanche game

Godfather
12-02-2011, 04:56 PM
That's a great deal! We have the WHL/CHL up here instead of college hockey, and it's awesome. Lot of future NHL'ers. Even 'Gold Zone' tickets are about $25. Seasons tickets are $450!!! Tempting...

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2011, 07:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/F2MHL.png

I was close, cheapest lower level seats are $85/each and I was off in the DU comparison, those seats at the Avs game would have only been $134/each :|

And look at those season ticket prices....and you MUST buy a minimum of 2 seats to buy season tickets. And they wonder why they don't sell out :|

MrsM
12-02-2011, 07:21 PM
you would be lucky if you could actually buy seats for the Leafs at face value

Godfather
12-03-2011, 02:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/F2MHL.png

I was close, cheapest lower level seats are $85/each and I was off in the DU comparison, those seats at the Avs game would have only been $134/each :|

And look at those season ticket prices....and you MUST buy a minimum of 2 seats to buy season tickets. And they wonder why they don't sell out :|

That's nuts... just looking at Ticketmaster at a Canucks vs COlorado game... tickets in the nose-bleeds are minimum $88, and goes has high as $255.

For Canucks vs Chicago, they start at $95 and go up to $320 :shock:

The cost for executive suites (the middle level ones, not sky-boxes) is $150,000 a season for a company to purchase :rofl:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-03-2011, 02:57 AM
I think the Avalanche have gotten rid of their 'sliding price scale' based on the opponent :-k

Godfather
12-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Anyone catch the Ducks-Caps game? I'm wondering why Maxwell only got 2 minutes of ice time when he led a great rush and got an assist?

samarchepas
12-06-2011, 04:52 AM
The NHL's Board of Governors has made a decision on a plan for NHL realignment.

The league has approved a new four-conference format, subject to commissioner Gary Bettman considering time frame implementation. Bettman will also speak to the NHLPA before implementing the changes.

The discussion and vote to approve the new realignment plan at the NHL Board of Governors meetings in Pebble Beach, California took an hour on Monday. A total of 26 teams voted in favour of the plan with four teams opposing it.

The realignment became necessary when the Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg and became the Jets.

The plan finalized on Monday would see four separate conferences established to replace the current two-conference, six-division system.

The proposed new conferences would be arranged to accommodate both geographic proximity as well as established rivalries.

The existing Northeast division would be expanded to include the league's two Florida-based teams, making a conference of: Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto.

Meanwhile, the existing Atlantic Division would gain two teams for a seven-team conference including: Carolina, New Jersey, the New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Washington.

The Winnipeg Jets would be the only Canadian team in an expanded Central Division that would also include Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, and St. Louis.

Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver would remain together in a proposed Western Conference that also includes Anaheim, Colorado, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and San Jose.

The realignment is aimed at evening out the travel schedules for all NHL teams with each team playing teams outside their conference twice per year, once at home and on the road.

In the seven-team Conferences, teams would play each other six times - three home, three away. In the eight-team Conferences, a bit more manoeuvering would be required.

Teams in the conferences of eight would play either five or six times per season on a rotating basis; three teams would play each other six times and four teams would play each other five times. This process would reverse each season.

The top four teams in each conference would qualify for the playoffs. The first-place team would play the fourth-place team; while second and third would square off. The four conference champions would meet in the third round of the playoffs, with the last two clubs playing for the Stanley Cup.

NHL general managers will determine the playoff structure after round two in the proposed realignment.

The concept of re-seeding is a strong contender, however the league wants the general managers' input before implementing.

The union's input is still an important step in the realignment process.

"Realignment requires an agreement between the league and the NHLPA," said Players' Association spokesperson Jonathan Weatherdon. "We look forward to continuing our discussions with the league regarding this matter."

Godfather
12-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Son of a bitch I knew that'd happen. I wanted Detroit to stay in the West and Nashville to go east (they're pretty much directly north/south of each other, wouldn't make much difference). I guess it'll be nice to play Winnipeg but I'll miss playing Detroit as much :(

Strange format... should be interesting I guess. I thought 6, 5 team divisions and 2 conferences made sense but whatever

Joebob034
12-06-2011, 07:22 AM
yessss finally! Hopefully this means not as many trips to the West Coast come playoff time.

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
:-k

Should make the playoffs interesting.

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2011, 11:14 AM
ESPN fired Barnaby.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/ESPN-fires-Matthew-Barnaby-NHL-analyst-after-DWI-charge-120511?ocid=ansfox11

samarchepas
12-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Son of a bitch I knew that'd happen. I wanted Detroit to stay in the West and Nashville to go east (they're pretty much directly north/south of each other, wouldn't make much difference). I guess it'll be nice to play Winnipeg but I'll miss playing Detroit as much :(

Strange format... should be interesting I guess. I thought 6, 5 team divisions and 2 conferences made sense but whatever

They still will be in the west....:lol:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=75862
conference B...which technically is still in the West (interesting fact here...14 teams in the East and 16 in the West...I'm guessing that Phoenix will move to the East eventually)

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2011, 11:55 AM
The biggest lingering mystery about NHL’s realignment
By Greg Wyshynski - Puck Daddy (Yahoo! NHL Blog)

It reportedly took less than an hour for the NHL Board of Governors to approve the radical new format for the League beginning next season: four conferences, an "interlocking" schedule that features home and away games against every team in the League; and a new divisional format for the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

This might be due to the fact that one of the biggest questions has yet to be answered: What happens after the four conference champions are established?

Commissioner Gary Bettman said on Monday:

"That's something that we'll work out, and that's something I plan to do with the general managers at their meetings in the spring. We'll figure out what they want from a competitive standpoint. I think this is a decision I'll let the GMs make."

It would appear that they're faced with two options for the final four:

A. Maintaining a format in which the "Eastern" champion will play the "Western" champion for the Stanley Cup. Consider that the former Western Conference teams are now in eight-team conferences, while the former Eastern Conference teams are in seven-team conferences. Should the eights play the eights and the sevens play the sevens before the Cup Final? (Keeping in mind that the Phoenix Coyotes could be relocated to an Eastern Conference city in the next few years.)

B. Taking the four conference winners and reseeding them so the highest point-earner plays against the lowest point-earner in the Stanley Cup semifinals — geography be damned. Hence, the Boston Bruins and the Philadelphia Flyers could play for the Stanley Cup. Ditto the Toronto Maple Leafs and the New York Rangers. Ditto the Winnipeg Jets and the Edmonton Oilers. Ditto the San Jose Sharks and the Detroit Red Wings.

Patrick LaForge, the president of the Edmonton Oilers, told CHED Radio in Edmonton on Monday night that Option B is assumed to be the option that's eventual approved.

Of course, that doesn't resolve all the questions for this conference format, such as:

The biggest lingering mystery about NHL’s realignment1. Will we have four conference champions every season? Four banners raised along with that of the Stanley Cup champion? Twice the conference champions' swag produced for fans to splurge on?

2. Will we have two new trophies to go along with the Prince of Wales and the Campbell Trophy? Which divisions earn the right to call those historic pieces of hardware their own?

3. Finally … what are these conferences going to be named anyway? Are the Calgary Flames really going to have to battle for the right to win the Gretzky Conference each season?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2011, 11:56 AM
New realignment plan = :fail:

Godfather
12-06-2011, 04:44 PM
This is weird and I don't understand :lol: How the hell did only 4 owners vote against this shit

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2011, 05:04 PM
It's absolutely ridiculous...only an NHL run by Bettman could screw up something as easy as re-alignment :|

Godfather
12-06-2011, 05:20 PM
No kidding... this is frustrating. Not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
There needs to be two more teams for the conferences with 7 teams.

[-(

Personally, I don't see the point of 4 conferences. Why not just get rid of 2 of the divisions and redistribute those teams in the remaining 4 divisions, preserving the two conferences?

Godfather
12-06-2011, 05:38 PM
That makes perfect sense. In fact, if you just moved Nashville East and Winnipeg West, shuffled once or twice so proximity was fair you wouldn't have to change anything...

Joebob034
12-06-2011, 05:44 PM
That makes perfect sense. In fact, if you just moved Nashville East and Winnipeg West, shuffled once or twice so proximity was fair you wouldn't have to change anything...

better yet, you can keep Nashville in the West and move the Wings east :mrgreen:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2011, 05:58 PM
There needs to be two more teams for the conferences with 7 teams.

[-(

Personally, I don't see the point of 4 conferences. Why not just get rid of 2 of the divisions and redistribute those teams in the remaining 4 divisions, preserving the two conferences?

Exactly....why the fuck do there need to be four conferences? That's what makes no fucking sense

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Technically, Detroit is closer to the east coast than Nashville is.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Hey, here's an idea....why don't we make 30 conferences and then have each team only play against itself 80 times, then when the playoffs start, we'll figure something out from there. :-k

:thumbsup:

MrsM
12-06-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't like it - I don't understand why they would change it that much. Too many open questions :nono:

Joebob034
12-06-2011, 07:33 PM
So I just found out that the Frozen Four is Tampa this year? Really? Tampa? yeah that's a real hockey hotbed, especially at the collegiate level :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2011, 08:02 PM
So I just found out that the Frozen Four is Tampa this year? Really? Tampa? yeah that's a real hockey hotbed, especially at the collegiate level :roll:

:wtf:

There isn't even one school in Florida with a 'power' hockey team....who the hell made that decision FFS? :wha:

samarchepas
12-06-2011, 10:09 PM
About the conferences....just wait and see :lol: (its not 100% done as of now)

Teh One Who Knocks
12-07-2011, 11:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hdHdq.gif

Godfather
12-08-2011, 04:31 AM
:rofl: I love that for some reason

Godfather
12-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Frustrating game last night sam? :wavey:

samarchepas
12-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Frustrating game last night sam? :wavey:

More than you think :lol: (would not have been 3-0 half way in the game without Price in the first though)
The PP should get a boost (hopefully) Habs trade Jaroslav Spacek for Tomas Kaberle...hopefully he can get like he was before being traded to the Bruins last year.

Godfather
12-15-2011, 04:57 AM
Rangers/Fliers 24/7 on HBO starts tonight! DGX must be pumped. I'm looking forward to this, it was awesome last year too.

The other new show NHL 36 where they follow individual players around or a few days each should be cool too.

DemonGeminiX
12-15-2011, 04:58 AM
Rangers/Fliers 24/7 on HBO starts tonight! DGX must be pumped. I'm looking forward to this, it was awesome last year too.

The other new show NHL 36 where they follow individual players around or a few days each should be cool too.

I suppose I would be if I had HBO, but I don't.

:sad2:

Godfather
12-15-2011, 05:05 AM
I don't either :( I'm going to stream it on Icefilms after it airs or download it.

Godfather
12-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Just watched the first 3 minutes... sent shivers down my spine. God damn I love hockey.

Check out the into to 24/7, you'll get hooked!

Godfather
12-19-2011, 08:40 PM
So, who is betting on Crosby retiring :wha:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Quebec Government wants French-speaking Canadiens coach (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AtCGHD_AZ8Fp7_hUK.mM1ppivLYF?slug=txcana dienscoachfrench)

:|

So, who is betting on Crosby retiring :wha:

It would probably be best for his health

samarchepas
12-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Quebec Government wants French-speaking Canadiens coach (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AtCGHD_AZ8Fp7_hUK.mM1ppivLYF?slug=txcana dienscoachfrench)

It would probably be best for his health

I say this as a French Canadian (About Habs Coach)...I don`t give a damn on what language a coach talks if he is good!...but its Quebec so ya....:lol: and on Crosby I would not say he should retire right now BUT he should really take his time to come back (if he does)

Godfather
12-20-2011, 02:27 AM
I want Crosby to come back, he's awesome. What a sad thing for a guy with that much talent and love for the game. But if his brain is one hit from where Lindros is, with the headaches and depression... not worth it.

This Francophone coach thing is hilarious. The Quebecers are hot blooded folks, gotta give them that. :lol:

samarchepas
12-20-2011, 03:08 AM
I want Crosby to come back, he's awesome. What a sad thing for a guy with that much talent and love for the game. But if his brain is one hit from where Lindros is, with the headaches and depression... not worth it.

This Francophone coach thing is hilarious. The Quebecers are hot blooded folks, gotta give them that. :lol:

I don`t care about this issue at all (French coach)...but see this the other way...put a guy that speaks only french in Toronto...and hell breaks loose :lol:

DemonGeminiX
12-20-2011, 03:16 AM
So Toronto doesn't like French-speaking people? Is it true that Montreal talks shit in French on English speaking Americans (I heard that in college from a few friends that vacationed in Montreal)?

<--- Not from Canada

samarchepas
12-20-2011, 03:36 AM
So Toronto doesn't like French-speaking people? Is it true that Montreal talks shit in French on English speaking Americans (I heard that in college from a few friends that vacationed in Montreal)?

<--- Not from Canada
Ok then...put a coach that speaks ONLY french in Philly...same thing happens :lol: (just said Toronto as an exemple)
but ya....French vs English is nothing new around here tbh (I`m not from or in Quebec BTW)

MrsM
12-20-2011, 04:04 AM
If he was good and the Leafs were winning - he could speak any language. But still not making the playoffs and only speaking French would get old quickly in the media scrums.

samarchepas
12-20-2011, 05:00 AM
If he was good and the Leafs were winning - he could speak any language. But still not making the playoffs and only speaking French would get old quickly in the media scrums.

People don`t really care really...but the medias...OMG its crazy, they are the one that made this thing that big of a deal (All I want is my team to win...period...even if its an all russian team...:lol: )

Godfather
12-20-2011, 07:07 AM

<--- Not from Canada

Basically.

Pretty much the entire country except the province of Quebec can't speak French - it's mandatory in grade school but for most it doesn't stick. There are a few towns outside of Quebec that are french, but inversely in the city of Montreal you don't even need to be able to speak French to get by.

The country calling itself bi-lingual is a joke. French Canadians take a lot of flack from the rest of the country for being a ridiculous bunch who want to separate and all that :lol:

Also... Toronto being the biggest city and all, the rest of the country hate them for thinking they're the "center of the universe" (kind of a blue-collar complaint, and it trickles down to hating the Maple Leafs). People in the Prairies hate Vancouver too.

It's all very complicated tbh.

samarchepas
12-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Basically.

Pretty much the entire country except the province of Quebec can't speak French - it's mandatory in grade school but for most it doesn't stick. There are a few towns outside of Quebec that are french, but inversely in the city of Montreal you don't even need to be able to speak French to get by.

The country calling itself bi-lingual is a joke. French Canadians take a lot of flack from the rest of the country for being a ridiculous bunch who want to separate and all that :lol:

Also... Toronto being the biggest city and all, the rest of the country hate them for thinking they're the "center of the universe" (kind of a blue-collar complaint, and it trickles down to hating the Maple Leafs). People in the Prairies hate Vancouver too.

pretty much Half of NB is french speaking really :lol:...and the other half can`t tell the difference between oui and non :lol:...and if the coach would make the team win there would be less drama...which is not the case right now.And in eastern Canada...you either love or hate the Leafs (And I don`t love them...:lol:) There is a few places that is french speaking too...like Toews that plays for the Hawks is from Manitoba...his mother called RDS (french version of TSN) because they were pronouncing his name the english way instead of french :lol:.

MrsM
12-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Basically.

Toronto's not the center of the universe - just the center of Canada :dance: - Go Leafs Go :)

Teh One Who Knocks
12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Ok then...put a coach that speaks ONLY french in Philly...same thing happens :lol: (just said Toronto as an exemple)
but ya....French vs English is nothing new around here tbh (I`m not from or in Quebec BTW)

That's not a fair comparison....very few people in the US speak French and it certainly isn't an official language anywhere down here that I'm aware of. I have been to Montreal hundreds of times and I never met one person that spoke only French and no English.

Joebob034
12-20-2011, 04:47 PM
I only speak French

Godfather
12-20-2011, 05:34 PM
That's not a fair comparison....very few people in the US speak French and it certainly isn't an official language anywhere down here that I'm aware of. I have been to Montreal hundreds of times and I never met one person that spoke only French and no English.

Exactly :lol:

To be fair though, outside of Montreal, the rest of Quebec is very french. Quebec city, and especially the small rural towns in Quebec are very francophone. And without the Nordiques I'm sure the entire province is heavily invested in teh Canadiens

Godfather
12-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Holy hell, it took my forever to put my finger on it.... Danny Briere is Paul McCartney :rofl:

DemonGeminiX
12-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Holy hell, it took my forever to put my finger on it.... Danny Briere is Paul McCartney :rofl:

:-k

So live and let die?

samarchepas
12-21-2011, 12:22 AM
And the medias keeps on crying about it all...gets on my nerves...when the coach makes an interview, subtitles are included people that can`t speak english should be able to read them :lol: (I mean c`mon now...we are in 2011, not 1920!!) but the hate itself is changing direction right now...going to Pierre Gauthier (The team he made is going nowhere and he signed Markov for 3 years...and has yet to play a game this season)

Godfather
12-21-2011, 01:35 AM
I just watched NHL 36 (it's available on NHL.com)... not nearly as behind the scenes as 24/7. Kinda average really.

samarchepas
12-24-2011, 01:09 AM
Lost a 5th game in a row! :woot:

Godfather
12-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Oh solid work tonight Panthers :lol:

DemonGeminiX
12-24-2011, 05:57 AM

My +/- was like +5 before that game started.

:meh:

samarchepas
12-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Had to look tbh....8-0...OUCH :lol:....Panthers,Leafs and Sens...3 teams I did not think they even had a chance of making the playoffs, still a lot of hockey to be played but they are surprising so far (same for the Habs but not in a good way in their case :lol:...:sad2: )

Teh One Who Knocks
12-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Bruins have won 20 out of their last 23 games :banana:

Godfather
12-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Bruins are unreal this year...

Kinda random but...

I think I want a Chicago jersey or shirt :-k They really are one of, if not the, most beautiful jerseys in all of sports

DemonGeminiX
12-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Bruins have won 20 out of their last 23 games :banana:

Go ahead, win the President's trophy.... get bounced out of the playoffs in the first round...

:mrgreen:

Kinda random but...

I think I want a Chicago jersey or shirt :-k They really are one of, if not the, most beautiful jerseys in all of sports

:-s

That is kinda random seeing as how a Flyer's jersey is far better looking.

Godfather
12-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Nah, sorry man. Flyers is above average but not far better looking than the Hawks by any stretch. A kid could draw it tbh. Although I will say that 24/7 has taken me from hating to liking the Flyers.

My team even has a huge rivalry with the Hawks but I have to admit their logo is unreal. It's almost a century old too, which just adds to how bad-ass it is

Teh One Who Knocks
12-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Go ahead, win the President's trophy.... win back-to-back Stanley Cups

:mrgreen:

FTFY :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-24-2011, 09:27 PM
And after that horrible start to the season, Boston is only 1 point away from the best record in the NHL...with 2 games in hand :banana:

DemonGeminiX
12-24-2011, 11:10 PM
FTFY :tup:

No, you broke it.

Godfather
12-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Stupid President's Cup :meh:

Although it felt pretty great up until the last round... and looking back it was an unreal 82 regular season games to be a fan.

Shady
12-26-2011, 11:12 PM

Kinda random but...

Nah, sorry man. Flyers is above average but not far better looking than the Hawks by any stretch. A kid could draw it tbh. Although I will say that 24/7 has taken me from hating to liking the Flyers.

My team even has a huge rivalry with the Hawks but I have to admit their logo is unreal. It's almost a century old too, which just adds to how bad-ass it is

Bookmarking this post for post-season banter.

I do agree with you though, all 3 jerseys look great.

Joebob034
12-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Kinda random but...

:puke:

DemonGeminiX
12-27-2011, 11:13 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/Johnny-Wilson-former-Detroit-Red-Wings-four-time-Stanley-Cup-winner-dies-at-82-122711

:rip:

Godfather
12-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Yay, the break is over!

:puke:

I already have a Detroit jersey :P . Chi town just has too many boys from my home province of BC not to love.

...if only Kane didn't play for them

samarchepas
12-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Yay, the break is over!

I already have a Detroit jersey :P . Chi town just has too many boys from my home province of BC not to love.

...if only Kane didn't play for them

Maybe they should get Byfuglien again :-k....:razz:
BTW the Habs FINALLY decided to play a real game for once :lol:. They won against Ottawa 6-2 snapping a 5 games losing streak (Cunneyworth had a 0-4 record before tonight)

samarchepas
12-30-2011, 07:49 AM
I guess no playoffs for the Habs this year :lol:...lost against Tampa 4-3...got the lead 3-1 and lost it in regulation

Godfather
12-31-2011, 04:51 PM
Are the USA going to miss the WJ playoffs? That'd be pretty stunning

samarchepas
12-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Are the USA going to miss the WJ playoffs? That'd be pretty stunning

Yes they will...they got eliminated yesterday (so next game against Canada is worth nothing :lol: )

samarchepas
01-01-2012, 05:51 AM
A perfect way for the Habs to end the year :roll: :lol: (Lost 3-2 against the Panthers) oh and BTW what the hell?!? At the end of the year, the PANTHERS are 3rd in the east...:shock:!!! (NOBODY can say they saw this coming :lol: )

DemonGeminiX
01-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Damn it.

:meh:

Godfather
01-03-2012, 07:25 AM
That was too bad... I'm still excited to see the last episode of 24/7.

The Winter Classic is a thing of beauty. Sure would kill to see my team play it, but I understand it mostly being for older teams. Next year they should do Wings vs Hawks, that'd be a great one, and make for an unreal HBO series too.

Joebob034
01-04-2012, 05:45 AM
That was too bad... I'm still excited to see the last episode of 24/7.

The Winter Classic is a thing of beauty. Sure would kill to see my team play it, but I understand it mostly being for older teams. Next year they should do Wings vs Hawks, that'd be a great one, and make for an unreal HBO series too.

They did Wings v Hawks a couple of years ago, I was actually in Chicago for that one. It would be cool to see them play in Michigan Stadium, if you can fill it up for a UofM v MSU hockey game you could definitely do it with the Wings.

DemonGeminiX
01-06-2012, 02:17 AM
Man, Boston is beating the piss out of Calgary right now. It's 9-0.

Godfather
01-06-2012, 07:54 AM
:rofl: Happiest I've been from a Boston win in a while

Shitty flames

samarchepas
01-06-2012, 07:55 AM
:rofl: Happiest I've been from a Boston win in a while

Shitty flames

They lost 5 in a row too! :lol:

Godfather
01-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Oh tits... I think Boston plays us next :lol: I hope they're all scored out

Should be one of the best games of the regular season... and I'll be at work unable to watch it...

samarchepas
01-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Oh tits... I think Boston plays us next :lol: I hope they're all scored out

Should be one of the best games of the regular season... and I'll be at work unable to watch it...

If I was a Canucks player right...I'd be thinkin "REVENGE!!!!" right now...:lol: (Best in the west against 2nd in the East...should be good!)

Shady
01-06-2012, 08:47 AM
They did Wings v Hawks a couple of years ago, I was actually in Chicago for that one. It would be cool to see them play in Michigan Stadium, if you can fill it up for a UofM v MSU hockey game you could definitely do it with the Wings.

I actually second that. As much of a Cubs fan as I am, bleeding and crying cubby blue since i was born, wrigley just does not seem like the place to hold a hockey game. If you do it in chicago, do it at soldier field, would be a much better venue and still outside. But even if they did it in Michigan that would be cool too. Probably a hell of a lot more snow.

Btw does anyone remember when they tried hosting a college football game at Wrigley and only had one endzone?

Godfather
01-06-2012, 04:39 PM
If I was a Canucks player right...I'd be thinkin "REVENGE!!!!" right now...:lol: (Best in the west against 2nd in the East...should be good!)

Me too. They all say they're taking it as game 42 of a long season... history or not there is only 2 points on the line. But they always say shit like that :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2012, 04:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/D4txj.jpg

8-[

Godfather
01-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Damn you :lol:

Does Chara ever get confused for the Bruins mascot :lol:

samarchepas
01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/D4txj.jpg

8-[
Yup....REVENGE!!!!:villagers::villagers::villagers : (To think that both teams were dead last at some point in the season and are now 1st and 2nd in each conference....:lol:)

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Damn you :lol:

Does Chara ever get confused for the Bruins mascot :lol:

Sorry :shifty:

It wouldn't surprise me if he did :lol: :lol:

Yup....REVENGE!!!!:villagers::villagers::villagers : (To think that both teams were dead last at some point in the season and are now 1st and 2nd in each conference....:lol:)

Revenge means nothing in January ;)

samarchepas
01-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Revenge means nothing in January ;)

It would be a small victory that might again lead to another match-up in the playoffs...with another winner this time :lol: (happened with the Pens and the WIngs)

Godfather
01-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Still seems like a long shot at this point... even with both teams at the top. The league is so unpredictable

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Yup, anything can happen in the playoffs....or a couple of major injuries to either teams can help wreck the whole season.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2012, 05:25 PM
It's nice to see the Bruins playing at the top of their game right now, but how the hell are the Rangers so good? :wtf:

Godfather
01-06-2012, 05:31 PM

I want to know why the Panthers and the Sens are in playoff spots... and why Montreal and Anaheim suck so bad.

That's why I love the NHL :mrgreen:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2012, 05:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Cb5QB.png

samarchepas
01-06-2012, 06:56 PM
It is pretty much what it should be in the West (except for the Ducks and Edmonton ) but in the East its a real mess! :lol:

samarchepas
01-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Oh damn :shock: this is bad...the NHLPA refused the plan the NHL had to change the associations/divisions next season...we are not even half way in the season and those 2 are already in a fight (With the CBA ending this year)...don't be surprised if there is no hockey next season (again!)

Teh One Who Knocks
01-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Good :tup:

(about the blocked re-alignment)

I thought that whole plan was uber-retarded

samarchepas
01-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Good :tup:

(about the blocked re-alignment)

I thought that whole plan was uber-retarded
About that I didn't care at all...I'm thinking about the bigger picture here...and nothing good about it.The NHLPA are right to block that but the NHL will disagree (of course...Bettman)

Godfather
01-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Saw that too and while I agree that the plan was bullshit, I'm just worried we're going to get another lockout/strike when the CBA expired :wha:

samarchepas
01-07-2012, 04:36 AM
Saw that too and while I agree that the plan was bullshit, I'm just worried we're going to get another lockout/strike when the CBA expired :wha:

This right here is some minor problem...nothing serious...The major risk here is what if the league wants "non-guaranteed" contracts like in the NFL (Which the NHLPA will NOT give up because of the number of concussions lately) and on the other side if the NHLPA wants salary cap out of the league(Donald Fehr, the director of the NHLPA did that when he had the same position in the MLB).If either of those (or both) happens...we might have a long winter next year...BTW if nothing changes Winnipeg will still be in the South East division next year.

Godfather
01-07-2012, 04:58 AM
What a mess... Guess we should prepare for plenty of armchair lawyering :wha:

The NHLPA should cave on the salary cap, it's a fine idea and we've all seen the figures on spending since the CBA, it's worse than ever anyways :lol:

Contracts are tougher eh... they just have to find some sort of middle ground in terms of a LTIR salary reduction rider in contracts. Marc Savard is going to make $7 mil this year and he's done. On a personal level we want players to earn the money they put their lives on the line for. He earned it. On the other hand... can owners afford to pay out $43 million of Crosby's contract if he never plays again and their organization suffers from it?

samarchepas
01-07-2012, 05:06 AM
What a mess...

The NHLPA should cave on the salary cap, it's a fine idea and we've all seen the figures on spending since the CBA, it's worse than ever anyways :lol:

Contracts are tougher eh... they just have to find some sort of middle ground in terms of a LTIR salary reduction rider in contracts. Marc Savard is going to make $7 mil this year and he's done. On a personal level we want players to earn the money they put their lives on the line for. He earned it. On the other hand... can owners afford to pay out $43 million of Crosby's contract if he never plays again and their organization suffers from it?

That's the risk every single team takes when they sign a guy long term and have to live with it (DiPietro anyone? :lol:)

Godfather
01-07-2012, 05:10 AM
:rofl: That guy is living the dream

samarchepas
01-07-2012, 05:22 AM
:rofl: That guy is living the dream

yup! :lol: (4.5M$ per year till 2020-21 :rofl:)

Godfather
01-07-2012, 05:34 AM
I forget, do you remember if there is a limit to the dollar figure you can have on the LTIR without it causing you to be penalized for going over the cap?

samarchepas
01-07-2012, 06:01 AM
Taken from the CBA itself:
An LTI can be covered by replacement players, as long as the replacement salaries do not exceed the salary of the injured player.
If the replacement salaries would push a team over the salary cap, the team is allowed cap relief, but only for the portion of the salary that exceeds the cap.
When the injured player returns, the team must immediately comply with the normal terms of the salary cap.
So I guess the maximum is the salary of the player or players (If you have bad luck :lol: )

Godfather
01-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Yaaa that's about how I understood it... I don't even think the Bruins have bothered with Savard on LTR because they have the room and it otherwise doesn't do anything for them.

samarchepas
01-07-2012, 06:17 AM
Yaaa that's about how I understood it... I don't even think the Bruins have bothered with Savard on LTR because they have the room and it otherwise doesn't do anything for them.

Yup, why bother when you have around 3 millions in cap space left?:lol: They still could put him on it if they needed to(Unless I'm forgetting something here.)

JoeyB
01-07-2012, 06:19 AM
There's so much hockey talk in this thread.

samarchepas
01-07-2012, 06:21 AM
There's so much hockey talk in this thread.

Surprising huh? :lol:

JoeyB
01-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Surprising huh? :lol:

Now you have a thanked post. Also, there doesn't seem to be enough hockey talk in this thread lately.

samarchepas
01-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Now you have a thanked post. Also, there doesn't seem to be enough hockey talk in this thread lately.

:woot: I post in this thread most of the time when the Habs win...which didn't happen much this season :lol:

JoeyB
01-07-2012, 07:18 AM
:woot: I post in this thread most of the time when the Habs win...which didn't happen much this season :lol:

I had to look up what Habs means...you have both stumped me and taught me something.

Now you have two thanked posts.

Godfather
01-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Joey's just giving them away tonight :lol:

Sam if you haven't yet, torrent or dl the last episode of 24/7... utterly mind boggling. Best documentary series I've ever seen :mrgreen:

samarchepas
01-07-2012, 08:07 AM
I had to look up what Habs means...you have both stumped me and taught me something.

Now you have two thanked posts.
I could have said "Canadiens de Montréal" but its kinda long so I use the english abbreviation of it here :lol:

Godfather
01-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Dude is Brad Merchand mentally unstable? :lol: I know Bruins fans love him but I think he's crazy and dangerous :P

samarchepas
01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Dude is Brad Merchand mentally unstable? :lol: I know Bruins fans love him but I think he's crazy and dangerous :P

Learned from Lucic maybe? :-k (Well not really...he was known like that in junior too)
(Its MArchand btw)

Godfather
01-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Maybe... Think he will get suspended for the Salo thing... hope Sami is ok, that guy has terrible luck :lol: I should find the old article on the ridiculous injuries that have plagued his career.

samarchepas
01-08-2012, 07:39 AM
The Habs are still undefeated in 2012!!! :shock:.....:lol: (2nd win in a row...first time that happens in almost a whole month! )

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Here's a few pix I snapped during warm-ups at the game last night. These are full-sized (clicky), I didn't realize that Tapatalk compressed the pix so much when I posted the one from the game last night on my phone. We had first row behind the visitors bench...awesome seats.

http://t.imgbox.com/aaxWwNVB.jpg (http://imgbox.com/aaxWwNVB) http://t.imgbox.com/aanA4uW6.jpg (http://imgbox.com/aanA4uW6) http://t.imgbox.com/aacVhBD1.jpg (http://imgbox.com/aacVhBD1)

It was the University of Denver vs the University of Alabama-Huntsville. This is the last year for the UAH program, the school announced they are disbanding the hockey program, which is so sad because there already aren't enough hockey schools in the US. I feel bad for the kids. :(

Denver won 5-2 and it was a pretty decent game :)

Godfather
01-08-2012, 08:47 PM
That's awesome! Great seats, I'm sure that's good hockey. Div 1 too isn't it? Why the hell would they stop having a team :wha: That's really sad, lot of Canadian kids given some huge opportunities down at those schools. Lot of pros come from NCAA

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Yup, Division 1 :thumbsup:

Money it sounds like :wha:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/What-killed-NCAA-Div-I-hockey-at-Alabama-Huntsv?urn=nhl-wp15736

Godfather
01-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Hmm, that's disturbing... hope it's not a trend that continues. :wha:

samarchepas
01-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Marchand gets a 5 games suspension for his hit on Salo.

Godfather
01-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Yep. Sounds about right too. Would have been 3 but he's a repeat offender now

Not a fan of the yapping between the coaches to the media though.

samarchepas
01-10-2012, 01:46 AM
Yep. Sounds about right too. Would have been 3 but he's a repeat offender now

Not a fan of the yapping between the coaches to the media though.

Nothing unusual here though :lol:...your guy gets injured...the "offender" is the most dirty player of the entire league BUT if its the other way around its not even worth 1 game...:lol:

Godfather
01-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Hmm, that's a very dangerous play - I say 3 games even to the cleanest players.

The offender was (seemingly) acting maliciously because he had a similar corner player seconds prior, and was about to have another jostle for the puck, so instead of playing the puck he goes in the opposite direction of it, cuts in hard and ducks low. That's not acceptable, and it's not a 'self defense hip check.'

From the league:

"Marchand skates towards Salo along the boards. Rather than delivering a shoulder-to-shoulder check, Marchand drops down dangerously low into Salo's knee area, lifting Salo up and over to cause an injury."

… "While we understand that in certain circumstances, a player may duck or bail instinctively in order to protect himself from an imminent, dangerous check, we do not view this play as defensive or instinctive. Rather, we feel this is a predatory, low hit delivered intentionally by Marchand in order to flip his opponent over him.

"Further, Salo is not coming at Marchand with great speed or with a threatening posture. He does nothing to indicate that Marchand is about to be hit illegally or with excessive force. To be clear, we do not consider this to be a defensive act where there are no other options available to Marchand.

"As a matter of fact, the exact scenario played out 16 seconds earlier, as Marchand was able to deliver and absorb a clean shoulder to shoulder check to Salo. While this hit was a clean play, Marchand shows clear frustration. That may have led Marchand to believe that Salo might seek retribution, that is not a defense for clipping a player."

samarchepas
01-10-2012, 02:58 AM
The PANTHERS beat the Canucks!! :shock: (2-1) They are still 3rd in the East!!

Godfather
01-10-2012, 03:04 AM
The PANTHERS beat the Canucks!! :shock: (2-1) They are still 3rd in the East!!

They're a good team this year... 14 new players in the preseason or something wasn't it? Glad we don't play them much. Not because they won, but because they're sooooo boring :lol: That game was painful.

samarchepas
01-10-2012, 07:55 AM
They're a good team this year... 14 new players in the preseason or something wasn't it? Glad we don't play them much. Not because they won, but because they're sooooo boring :lol: That game was painful.

That's one thing that I don't understand with that team...sometimes they can make a game exciting but other times...they are worse than the Devils without Kovalchuck :lol: (Well if you look at all the firepower the Canucks have...kinda normal they went for the "defensive approach" )

samarchepas
01-12-2012, 01:18 AM
JUST FREAKIN' GREAT!! Lost against the Blues, lost GIonta (Season likely over) and Cammellari wants to get traded...yup..just GREAT in Montréal.

Godfather
01-12-2012, 02:07 AM
If it's any help, the Blues are on some sort of a magical streak where they only let like 15 shots a game :lol:

They're going to ass pound us tomorrow... the Nucks look dead the last few games

Also... if they media doesn't STFU about the Nucks-Bruins game I'm going to snap. It was one game, and these two teams probably won't see each other again for 12-15 months :roll:

samarchepas
01-12-2012, 02:28 AM
If it's any help, the Blues are on some sort of a magical streak where they only let like 15 shots a game :lol:

They're going to ass pound us tomorrow... the Nucks look dead the last few games

Also... if they media doesn't STFU about the Nucks-Bruins game I'm going to snap. It was one game, and these two teams probably won't see each other again for 12-15 months :roll:

To think that most people thought that Hitchcock was too old school for today's NHL :lol: ( I was one of them btw :lol: ) and Boston vs Vancouver...they are talking about the game specifically or the Marchand suspension too?

Godfather
01-12-2012, 03:00 AM
Both really. It was 90% of the sports radio show this morning... it's very existential now :lol: They're talking about how much everyone is talking about about it

samarchepas
01-13-2012, 03:26 AM
On Thursday night, Montreal traded Cammalleri, as well as goaltender Karri Ramo and fifth round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft to the Calgary Flames for forwards Rene Bourque, Patrick Holland a second round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.
Didn't take long :lol:

Godfather
01-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Holy shit :lol: That's a pretty huge trade, especially given how low-key this year has been.

When you guys going to unload Gomez...

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2012, 11:45 AM
On Thursday night, Montreal traded Cammalleri, as well as goaltender Karri Ramo and fifth round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft to the Calgary Flames for forwards Rene Bourque, Patrick Holland a second round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.
Didn't take long :lol:

It's the B's, they pushed the Habs over the edge yesterday :nana:

Joebob034
01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/321640-big-house-winter-classic-upgraded-to-probable?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a9

I'd be surprised if it happened considering Illitch owns the Wings and the Tigers. He'll be a strong advocate to have the game at Comerica Park.

Godfather
01-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Either way, the Wings in the Classic would be awesome. I just hope they keep up the HBO series again next year. I'm sure they will, it's hugely successful. I just can't get enough of it

samarchepas
01-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Holy shit :lol: That's a pretty huge trade, especially given how low-key this year has been.

When you guys going to unload Gomez...
Probably during the summer (buyout)

It's the B's, they pushed the Habs over the edge yesterday :nana:

Both players were playing when the trade happened :lol: (Bourque and Cammalleri)
they probably wanted to trade them before the game but it didn't happen before it started.
There was too much small players on the team (ANYONE can see that...no denial here :lol: ) so trading a 5"9 for a 6"2 is really good for them...and with the comments Cammy did about the team 2 days ago...it was just a matter of time for him to go.

Richard Cranium
01-15-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm torn between watching last nights Sabres game and tonights Bruins game...

Godfather
01-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I hope you chose neither... both lost to soft teams last night :lol:

Richard Cranium
01-15-2012, 09:04 PM
That is my curse..:mrgreen:

Godfather
01-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Are you a Sabres fan? That must be frustrating this year... they went out and spent HUGE money in the off season and they're still below .500 :wha:

Richard Cranium
01-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Only a little but just because I live in the market area, I kinda followed the Coyotes when I lived in AZ, but only kinda..

I am not a fan of any single team, I do favor some over others but I just enjoy the game... I pay so little attention, I can watch a game that is a week old and not get caught out by a spoiler..

JoeyB
01-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Only a little but just because I live in the market area, I kinda followed the Coyotes when I lived in AZ, but only kinda..

I am not a fan of any single team, I do favor some over others but I just enjoy the game... I pay so little attention, I can watch a game that is a week old and not get caught out by a spoiler..

You know...I've always said this is the best way to enjoy sports. I watch English football (soccer) and except for my logical and morally correct hatred of Man U, I can enjoy watching any team play. Sure, there are some I like more than others, but I get excited about any match and enjoy the game no matter who wins.

Being deadly loyal to just one team sort of eliminates that openness and joy.

That said...I was a massive fan of the Bulls when I lived in Chicago, but seeing as how they won everything at the time it tended to eliminate any sense of disappointment. Also, I intend on following the Toledo Mudhens as best I can this season, but I'm not a big baseball fan so any result either way will be cool in my book.

Godfather
01-15-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm that way with the NFL... I just watch a game if I have time to sit down and catch one. It's fun that way. MLB is like that for me as well. For both those league I don't really have much in the way of affiliation.

I'm a die hard fan of one particular hockey team... but I love playing hockey pools because it forces me to love other teams in the league. It's a lot of fun to just appreciate a great matchup

samarchepas
01-16-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm an Habs and Colts fan because I get all the games on TV for the Habs and NORMALLY its the same for most of the Colts games...didn't go so well this year :lol:

Richard Cranium
01-16-2012, 05:32 PM
The Habs are one of those teams I cannot root against.. Too much awesome history, win, lose or draw, great team, great town,,

Da Colts, huh? Funny, I lived in Indy for 6 years, only watched 2 Colt playoff games the whole time..

Then again I personally find foozball to be the most useless sport ever, so those two games were the only two I have watched in about 15 years.:mrgreen:

Joebob034
01-16-2012, 05:34 PM
3rd year in a row Michigan plays in an outdoor game, this year beating OSU 4-1 in Cleveland's Progressive field. The rivalry is no where near as intense in hockey as it is in football but it's always nice to beat the Buckeyes! :cheerlead:

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2762315/137119207_extra_large.jpg
http://media.cleveland.com/sports_impact/photo/10445312-large.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2012, 05:35 PM
The Habs are one of those teams I cannot root against..

Not to worry, I have enough hatred of the Habs for both of us ;)

MrsM
01-16-2012, 05:39 PM

AGREED! :dance:

Richard Cranium
01-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Is that a Avs thing?

With so many players in common over the years I'm kinda surprised.

Whats your team M? (edit:Leafs eh?)

samarchepas
01-16-2012, 05:50 PM

I feel the same about the Bruins and the Leafs ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Is that a Avs thing?

With so many players in common over the years I'm kinda surprised.

Born in Boston and a life-long Bruins fan ;)

I support the Avs too though because I live here now :)

Richard Cranium
01-16-2012, 05:54 PM
I feel the same about the Bruins and the Leafs ;)

Shame on you..:mrgreen:

Born in Boston and a life-long Bruins fan ;)

I support the Avs too though because I live here now :)

OK, you just went back up a few pegs then,,:cheerlead:

Godfather
01-16-2012, 06:05 PM
The only team I can't change my mind about is Calgary - screw them :lol: ... I've hated the Oilers, Blues, the Wild, the Hawks all at different points but those rivalries are dead and the Hawks are my next favorite team in the league.

I'd hate Boston too but unless we face them in the playoffs there's not much point in a rivalry with a team you only get to play once a year :wha:

samarchepas
01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
The only team I can't change my mind about is Calgary - screw them :lol: ... I've hated the Oilers, Blues, the Wild, the Hawks all at different points but those rivalries are dead and the Hawks are my next favorite team in the league.

I'd hate Boston too but unless we face them in the playoffs there's not much point in a rivalry with a team you only get to play once a year :wha:

Habs vs Bruins and Leafs Rivalry dates back to the original 6...not going anywhere :lol:

Godfather
01-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Nooo kidding. Those rivalries are classic. Nothing like a Habs-Leafs game.

samarchepas
01-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Nooo kidding. Those rivalries are classic. Nothing like a Habs-Leafs game.
That rivalry is not what it used to be though...been years since we faced them in the Playoffs (not like Boston...happens almost every years...most likely not this season though :lol:...)

Richard Cranium
01-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Wow, the Sabres really suck ass.. I'm watching last nights 5-0 loss to the Wings.. Pathetic...:mrgreen:

I played for 2.5 hours this morning with the city firefighters only because the other goalie on my beer league team was supposed to be playing tonight. Checked my texts when I got off the ice and guess what? I gotta play again, tonight at 10:30..:rolleyes: I'm way to old for this shit.:mrgreen:

Godfather
01-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Lucky guy :mrgreen: I'd happily play two games a night :lol:

Godfather
01-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Wow, sounds like Taylor Hall was cut quite badly by a skate during pre-game warmup and was rushed off.

The Oilers are now without an entire line of great young players (Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins). That's rough.

samarchepas
01-18-2012, 01:39 AM
Wow, sounds like Taylor Hall was cut quite badly by a skate during pre-game warmup and was rushed off.

The Oilers are now without an entire line of great young players (Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins). That's rough.

They will most likely miss the playoffs because of the injuries they got...and get another high draft pick at the draft :lol:
BTW, If he wears his helmet during the warm-up = no injury.Bob McKenzie (TSN) just said that it took 30 stitches to close up Taylor Hall's cut :shock:

Godfather
01-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Holy hell that's brutal... I feel so bad for him, helmet or not. Those skates are sharp.

That didn't occur to me... Damn, they will get another high draft, holy hell that's bad for the Northwest Div :lol: They're all going to peak young and they'll lose their team in a few years (look at all the young talent around the league that Chicago had to let go). Then again, that was after a Stanley Cup win and they're still awesome too....

samarchepas
01-18-2012, 03:24 AM
Holy hell that's brutal... I feel so bad for him, helmet or not. Those skates are sharp.

That didn't occur to me... Damn, they will get another high draft, holy hell that's bad for the Northwest Div :lol: They're all going to peak young and they'll lose their team in a few years (look at all the young talent around the league that Chicago had to let go). Then again, that was after a Stanley Cup win and they're still awesome too....

They will need to add some veteran players to help with all those young guys there though (and their defense is quite "meh" ) but they are going to be a nightmare for most goalies in the league soon enough :lol:

Shady
01-18-2012, 05:07 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/schade630/389944_10151175753805714_738885713_22873616_314063 009_n.jpg

Richard Cranium
01-18-2012, 05:46 AM
W - 3-2 :zombie: fuck me, I'm sore and freaking tired..u

Joebob034
01-18-2012, 05:26 PM
:cheerlead: http://www.freep.com/article/20120118/SPORTS05/120118018 :cheerlead:

Godfather
01-18-2012, 05:29 PM
NICE :D

MrsM
01-18-2012, 06:00 PM
:cheerlead: http://www.freep.com/article/20120118/SPORTS05/120118018 :cheerlead:

Cool :tup:

Shady
01-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Took a slap shot to the head tonight, thank god I was wearing a full cage with my helmet.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-20-2012, 12:29 AM

http://i.imgur.com/g5F2e.jpg

MrsM
01-20-2012, 12:33 AM
http://i.imgur.com/g5F2e.jpg

Yikes - that looks like it would hurt :shock: