PDA

View Full Version : Israeli Government Tells Israelis Not to Marry American Jews

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 07:52 PM
The Israeli government has launched an aggressive advertising campaign in the U.S. to discourage its expats from marrying American Jews—who some see as not really Jews at all.
By Allison Yarrow - The Daily Beast

Jewish children reared in America grow up hearing one thing on repeat. It’s like a dull tuning fork in the ear, or an image that sticks in the brain. Marry a Jew. Over and over. As if each time is the first. The subtext is that each of us is responsible for all of us, and if we intermarry, we risk disappearing completely. American Jews preach marrying each other in Israel’s name. The act does the Jewish homeland proud. A friend’s parent once told me that marrying a Jew would be great, but marrying an Israeli would be even better.

Unfortunately for American Jews, and all those niggling parents, it turns out that Israel might not be on our team in this marriage game. A middling and now infamous Israeli government department has forged a peculiar U.S.-based advertising campaign. In a series of videos and billboards, it is discouraging Israeli expats from marrying American Jews and imploring them to move back to Israel.

This conspicuous effort is concentrated in mostly expected locales: Palo Alto, Calif.; New York; Boston; and (less understandably) in Hollywood, Fla. Photos of the billboards taken from cell phones showed up on Facebook. That’s where a Jewish television network first discovered the campaign, which was never formally announced by press release and is mostly in Hebrew. The effort cost nearly $1 million, according to Steven I. Weiss at the Jewish Channel, who broke the story. He believes this is far less than the department’s budget for wooing American Jews to move to Israel.

Not only is Israel’s clinical-sounding Ministry for Immigrant Absorption telling its citizens whom to marry, it is also beckoning them home.

It’s common and advisable that countries publicly court their departed citizens, especially ones with troubled economies in need of repair. India sends its scholars to the States for an education, then entices them back to work. Ireland encourages natives to travel the world and then return. Most recently, Tunisia is asking back nationals after the spring revolution.

http://i.imgur.com/6wew9.jpg

Israel’s once booming technology industry seems to have splintered in the global economic crisis. But rather than antagonizing the minds it did not retain, maybe Israel’s government would do better to find out why Israelis are moving to America in the first place. It’s hard to find clear-cut numbers on how many Israeli expats live in the U.S., but the Jewish Channel reported about 2 million.

One video advertisement features an Israeli girl, Dafna, observing Israel’s memorial day, while her feckless American boyfriend, Josh, looks on dumbly. He is cast as a slobbering puppy who may be lovable but can’t really think. “They will always remain Israelis,” rumbles the voice-over. “Their partners won’t always understand what this means.”

The other video panders by using every culture’s weakness—its children. An American Jewish child is visiting with her Israeli grandparents on Skype. They ask which holiday is represented by the menorah behind them. She shrieks, “Christmas!” and their faces tighten with shame. The message is that we American Jews will tarnish Israelis’ hard-won, all-encompassing Jewish identities by solely being our secular selves.

The ham-handed effort isn’t targeting American Jews, but it is offending them. Outrage has been concentrated in the blogosphere. “I don't think I have ever seen a demonstration of Israeli contempt for American Jews as obvious as these ads,” writes Jeffery Goldberg in The Atlantic. Gal Beckerman, a child of Israeli expats who lives in Brooklyn, writes in The Forward that the ads are most disturbing because they are full of fear.

This public offensive voices what American Jews should already know, and should be angrier about: that many Israeli writers, thought leaders, politicians, and rabbis believe assimilated American Jews are not Jews at all. People who make it their business to say who is and who isn’t a Jew are as old as the religion itself. That paradigm is hardly a useful one. Nobody listens to people who only want to exclude. There are more of us here than in Israel. Questions of Jewishness may not permeate our everyday activities, but maybe that’s Israeliness and not Jewishness at all.

Besides, if there are no Jews here in America, who would be left to plant all those trees?

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Oye vey I'm a Canadian Jew!

Do I not count as well :doh:

Acid Trip
12-01-2011, 07:58 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/11/5/129019120982577793.jpg

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 08:06 PM
:oops:

ok....I'm not really Jewish

These homeland Jews though, dey really make me Meshuggener :x

Muddy
12-01-2011, 08:08 PM
The Jews man... wtf..

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't think it's a good idea for any race to start splintering like that...you got stand tall for your cultural heritage.

Go South Africa man!

Muddy
12-01-2011, 08:12 PM
The Jews arent a race though... They're a religion of supremacists...

Acid Trip
12-01-2011, 08:18 PM
The Jews arent a race though...

:+1:

They're a religion of supremacists...

:huh:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-01-2011, 08:26 PM
I never understood why Jews referred to themselves as a race.

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 08:27 PM

They are the supreme race! :x

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I never understood why Jews referred to themselves as a race.

depends on which side of the Atlantic you reside on Goldstein...

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 08:28 PM
:+1:

oh pffffft they're a race just like African Americans are a race...

Muddy
12-01-2011, 08:30 PM
:huh:
They are dude... :lol: They refer to themselves as "the chosen people"...

PorkChopSandwiches
12-01-2011, 08:30 PM
can I have a dollar

Muddy
12-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Sure.. Give me a Diamond first..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-01-2011, 08:33 PM
All I have is blood diamonds, to me they are far more valuable if someone has to die for them

Muddy
12-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Here's your Dollar..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-01-2011, 08:37 PM
can I have another one?

Muddy
12-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm gonna need an eel...

PorkChopSandwiches
12-01-2011, 08:41 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PgzabpZm4f4/S4mJDiSiTmI/AAAAAAAAABY/mEk6n_krTTQ/s400/diamonds.jpg

Muddy
12-01-2011, 08:43 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PgzabpZm4f4/S4mJDiSiTmI/AAAAAAAAABY/mEk6n_krTTQ/s400/diamonds.jpg

And horded and controlled and the market fixed to make their overinflated value stay high for no reason other than to further enrich the poor mistreated Jews that own the whole shebang.. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
And horded and controlled and the market fixed to make their overinflated value stay high for no reason other than to further enrich the poor mistreated Jews that own the whole shebang.. :lol:

Poor guys, I can see why they are upset then

Muddy
12-01-2011, 08:51 PM
The only victims here are the Africans and the consumers.

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm an African consumer :sad2:

Muddy
12-01-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm a sucker down at Kay Jewelers.. Paying $8500 for a stone that cost about $2 to pull out the Erf...

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 09:03 PM
I've rarely bought diamonds for a girl...I asked for a pendant back once :lol:

hal = class

Muddy
12-01-2011, 09:04 PM
My wife is diamond crazy... It's painful knowing Im getting butt fucked every time I buy one...

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 09:09 PM
My wife is diamond crazy... It's painful knowing Im getting butt fucked every time I buy one...

I always assumed it was the other way around

Muddy
12-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I don't need to give gifts for sex.. Sometimes I make her pay me to look at my body...

JoeyB
12-01-2011, 09:23 PM

Indeed. You'll notice I often make Jewish jokes, and I often make jokes about neo-nazis. There is a reason I do both.

I didn't say it this time! (But I did last time, so...)

The only victims here are the Africans and the consumers.

That's entirely true.

Listen...NOBODY IN THE WORLD LIKES ISRAEL except Israel itself and America. Why the fuck are they doing something that could only endanger the very relationship that keeps them alive? Israel receives billions of dollars of aid money from the US every year. The country is not self sustainable either economically or militarily. So in addition to our direct aid money, we also back them up with free military protection.

Seriously, without us they would not exist. Why look down on the country that is sustaining them and their own religious brethren? It's insanity.

I will say this though...Israel as a country is profoundly conservative and interested only in Jewish matters...Jewish people in America tend to be liberal, noticeably open minded (they were one of the first big religious groups to be pro gay, for instance) and also laid back about other religions. So perhaps that ideological schism is threatening to the militant Israeli mindset.

Muddy
12-01-2011, 09:25 PM
We just keep them around because they are our only ace in the pocket in the Middle East is all.. They're really a bunch of assholes..

Acid Trip
12-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Many religious groups think something along those lines. For example, Islam. A coincidence I'm sure hehe.

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 10:00 PM
The only chosen people are the ones I'm sitting with at the time..

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I don't need to give gifts for sex.. Sometimes I make her pay me to look at my body...

BAD mental image of Muddy dancing to Do You Think I'm Sexy, while his wife puts rolled up bills into his H string (one size bigger than a G string)

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I was chosen once...it was the best game of Duck, Duck, Goose ever :)

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Duck duck goose?

I've never heard of that before...elaborate?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 10:12 PM
You've never heard of Duck Duck Goose? :shock:

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Seriously, no

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Maybe it's an American thing? :-k

It's a game kids play (younger kids usually)....a whole bunch of kids sit on the floor in a large circle while one kid walks around the outside of the ring touching each kid's head saying duck or goose. If you are touched and goose is said, you have to get up and chase the person that 'goosed' you and try and tag him/her before they can make it around the ring and sit in your empty spot. If you tag the kid before he makes it to your spot, he/she starts all over again picking another goose. If he/she makes it to your seat, then you go around to pick the new goose.

Acid Trip
12-01-2011, 10:26 PM

It's a game kids play (younger kids usually)....a whole bunch of kids sit on the floor in a large circle while one kid walks around the outside of the ring touching each kid's head saying duck or goose. If you are touched and goose is said, you have to get up and chase the person that 'goosed' you and try and tag him/her before they can make it around the ring and sit in your empty spot. If you tag the kid before he makes it to your spot, he/she starts all over again picking another goose. If he/she makes it to your seat, then you go around to pick the new goose.

http://www.paulabecker.com/blog/images/if_choose2_72.jpg

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 10:29 PM

I've never played or heard of that :oops:

If any kid goosed me...right hand would shoot out and grab his leg as he tried to run and I'd cry out - FACEPLANTED, HA -HAW!

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 10:30 PM
If we all sat around in a circle as kids, usually someone would roll something up...:-s

Muddy
12-01-2011, 10:35 PM
This thread has gone way off course... :lol:

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Some Jewish people smoke weed, I'm sure of it :lol:

Muddy
12-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I know a few, actually.. :lol:

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 10:43 PM
You know I made the post on race/religion on purpose eh?

I saw it on some show...turned into a real kick ass argument between a Rabbi, some other Jewish folk and a historian :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Some Jewish people smoke weed, I'm sure of it :lol:

Only if it's free :hand:

:coat:

Muddy
12-01-2011, 10:49 PM
You know I made the post on race/religion on purpose eh?

I saw it on some show...turned into a real kick ass argument between a Rabbi, some other Jewish folk and a historian :lol:

I just try and be honest.. I know sometimes its not PC...

Only if it's free :hand:

Come to think of it... :-k :lol:

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 10:52 PM
@ Lance

:lol: whoa!

Did you hear about the Jewish son that wanted to borrow 50 dollars from his Dad?
His Dad replied - 40 dollars! Vat do you need 30 dollars for???

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Come to think of it... :-k :lol:

@ Lance

:lol: whoa!

:shifty:

Did you hear about the Jewish son that wanted to borrow 50 dollars from his Dad?
His Dad replied - 40 dollars! Vat do you need 30 dollars for???

An oldie but a goodie :lol: