PDA

View Full Version : Ben Stiller: Oscars Should Recognize Comedians "Doing Such Great Work"

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 10:44 PM
by Josh Grossberg - E! Online

http://i.imgur.com/PDxuV.jpg

If it were up to Ben Stiller, the Oscars would have a better sense of humor.

Addressing the lack of official respect accorded his fellow funnymen over the years, the Tropic Thunder star is letting the folks behind the Academy Awards know he feels about the suggestion of adding a comedy category to Hollywood's Big Night.

Here's what he had to say.

"In terms of the Oscars, it's just too bad that comedies don't get recognized," Stiller told the Hollywood Reporter ahead of last night's 19th annual Brittania Awards.

The comic actor attended the gala dinner where he was feted with the Charlie Chaplin Award for Excellence in Comedy, an honor doled out by the Los Angeles branch of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).

When asked about the lack of a similar accolade from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, which organizes the Oscars, Stiller acknowledged the need for one.

"It just seems like there's this huge hole there where there's no recognition for people who over the years—and this is for years and years, you know—have been doing such great work," he said.

While he hesitated to suggest that adding a new category was the answer (the way the Golden Globes have had a Best Motion Picture—Musical or Comedy category since 1952), he hoped Oscar organizers would at least give a little more consideration to singling out an art form which for too long has gone underappreciated.

"It's great for comedies that the Globes exist in that way—that there's more of an opening to see them get recognized," he added. "Though I don't know if everybody feels like the musical and comedy category always should go together, I think it's better than not having any recognition whatsoever for these people who really deserve it."

Bridesmaids anyone?

A spokeswoman for the Academy was unavailable for comment.

But the thespian, himself the spawn of legendary comedians and actors Jerry Stiller and Anna Meara, wasn't the only one not laughing about the lack of recognition.

Two weeks ago Knocked Up and 40-Year-old Virgin writer-director Judd Apatow, suggested it's about time for a change, similar to what the Academy did for feature-length 'toons when it added a Best Animated Film category 10 years ago.

"Since comedies are rarely up for Oscars, it does make sense to have a comedy category," he tweeted. "It's been like five times in a zillion years that [a comedy has] won best picture."

He later added: "As long as we are changing rules and not feeling that history is sacred why not be open to a type of movie the audiences seem to like."

Here's hoping the funny get their due.

Muddy
12-01-2011, 10:50 PM
That still wouldn't get you an award Bennie... Sorry, Bub..

Leefro
12-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I hate Ben and Adam but he's quite correct

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
That still wouldn't get you an award Bennie... Sorry, Bub..

Ben's done some pretty funny stuff, but nothing in quite awhile

I hate Ben and Adam but he's quite correct

Yup, I agree 100%....comedies get the shaft all the time at the Oscars

Muddy
12-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Something abut Mary and Meet the Parents were pretty funny..

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Agreed to with Ben or Adam's work taking awards...but there should be the category :thumbsup:

May create crossover problems with the Pixar type animated films though, some of those can be pretty funny

Muddy
12-01-2011, 10:59 PM
"Best Comedy"... Is there no award for that?

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Something abut Mary and Meet the Parents were pretty funny..

There's another rub....Something About Mary was one of the funniest films I've seen.I don't think it would work in the mainstream category though.That would allow for all of those lowbrow bathroom comedies to get it too..

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 11:05 PM
"Best Comedy"... Is there no award for that?

Not at the Academy Awards

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Agreed to with Ben or Adam's work taking awards...but there should be the category :thumbsup:

May create crossover problems with the Pixar type animated films though, some of those can be pretty funny

Already a category for animated films though

Leefro
12-01-2011, 11:18 PM

Not really because Ben and Adams films are shite ;)

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Not really because Ben and Adams films are shite ;)

:slap: that's what I just agreed with you mook

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Already a category for animated films though

:slap: that what I just said about creating a crossover problem you mook

Leefro
12-01-2011, 11:20 PM
There's another rub....Something About Mary was one of the funniest films I've seen.I don't think it would work in the mainstream category though.That would allow for all of those lowbrow bathroom comedies to get it too..

What was that ??

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 11:25 PM
That is a preposition, used in a phrase :)

Leefro
12-01-2011, 11:31 PM
There's another rub....Something About Mary was one of the funniest films I've seen.

Thought you said they were shite ;)

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I enjoyed Something About Mary, can't say much for the rest of Stiller's movies.Zoolander made me smirk a couple of times...

I guess I should have qualified and said - Most Stiller and Sandler movies don't make me laugh

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2011, 11:35 PM
I thought Tropic Thunder was hilarious...and I loved Dodgeball too :lol:

Hal-9000
12-01-2011, 11:39 PM
I thought Tropic Thunder was hilarious...and I loved Dodgeball too :lol:

That's where I draw the line....both are Stiller movies but I liked the other actors and their instances, better than his parts.He get a little weird at times...

Iffy
12-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Stiller is like Ferrell in that their best comedy comes when they have someone else to play off of

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Will Ferrell is a complete hit or miss for me....I either think the film is hilarious or horrible. No in between for me with his movies

Muddy
12-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Will Ferrell is a complete hit or miss for me....I either think the film is hilarious or horrible. No in between for me with his movies

Ricky Bobby!!! :ftw:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Ricky Bobby!!! :ftw:

I have never been more let down by a film than that one...I didn't think it was possible for something to suck and blow at the same time, but that POS sure did

Muddy
12-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I disagree.. It's one of my favorite Wil Ferrel movies.. :)

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Step Brothers :tup:

Now that was freaking hilarious...and also Blades Of Glory....laughed my ass off during that one too :lol:

Muddy
12-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Step brothers was funny... Really it had the same kind of sctick as Ricky Bobby imo..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Ben Stiller is overratted

Hal-9000
12-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Blades of Glory made me chuckle too :thumbsup: (Ferrel)

and yes I agree with PCS, Stiller is overrated

PorkChopSandwiches
12-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I like the movies he is in, but I like him the least in them usually ;)

Like Tropic Thunder, I thought Robert Downey Jr was hilarious. Tower Heist, Eddy Murphy was great. But, I have to say I did like him in Happy Gilmore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Q2XGf4TCY