PDA

View Full Version : Student arrested for burping, lawsuit claims

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2011, 12:01 PM
CBS News/The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/XwJhi.jpg

(CBS/AP)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - A 13-year-old was handcuffed and hauled off to a juvenile detention for burping in class, according to a civil rights lawsuit filed against an Albuquerque public school principal, a teacher and a city police officer.

The suit was filed Wednesday, the same day the district was also sued by the family of a 7-year-old autistic boy who was handcuffed to a chair.

The Albuquerque Journal reports the unnamed seventh grader was arrested last May 11 at Cleveland Middle School after he "burped audibly" in his P.E. class. "Criminalizing of the burping of a thirteen-year-old boy serves no governmental purpose," the lawsuit said. "Burping is not a serious disruption, a threat of danger was never an issue."

The lawsuit alleges the boy was transported to the juvenile center without his parents being notified. It also says he was denied his due process rights because he was suspended for the rest of that school year without "providing him an explanation of the evidence the school claimed to have against him." He was not allowed to call witnesses or defend himself against the burping allegation.

The boy was never charged. He scored a - 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 according to a risk assessment given by the jail staff, 10 being extremely dangerous.

It also details a separate incident this school year when administrators became suspicious because the boy had $200 in his pocket. He claimed it was because he was going to go shopping after school, but administrators accused him of selling pot to another student. The boy asked to call his mother; instead, they forced the student to strip down to his underwear while five adults watched.

He was not charged with any crime related to that incident either.

A spokeswoman for Albuquerque Public Schools said she had not seen the lawsuit and could not comment.

DemonGeminiX
12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
A bunch of heads better roll for this ridiculous horseshit.

Loser
12-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the anti dodgeball generation.

Godfather
12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
I just don't get where the teachers/administration responsible for this shit come from?

I have a lot of friends who are in school for or recently graduated as school teachers... I guarantee if they saw this article they'd be just as disgusted. They'd all probably quietly laugh if some kid belched in class :lol: ...

Acid Trip
12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
That's a staggering number of mistakes by the administrators.

Notice how the school district gets sued (not the individual administrators) meaning the tax payer is going to get stuck with the lawsuit payment and not the actual perpetrators.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-02-2011, 05:31 PM
WTF!

DemonGeminiX
12-02-2011, 10:11 PM

Notice how the school district gets sued (not the individual administrators) meaning the tax payer is going to get stuck with the lawsuit payment and not the actual perpetrators.

The idea is that the school district administrators get hit with this and the individual administrators and teachers responsible for this happening get named during the course of the inquiry/trial. Since the district administrators' faces get put on the case, it makes them look really bad and puts pressure on them to discipline/fire the individual adminstrators and teachers responsible for this idiocy.

Threatening the individuals involved alone does nothing. This way forces changes.

JoeyB
12-02-2011, 11:26 PM

The idea is that the school district administrators get hit with this and the individual administrators and teachers responsible for this happening get named during the course of the inquiry/trial. Since the district administrators' faces get put on the case, it makes them look really bad and puts pressure on them to discipline/fire the individual adminstrators and teachers responsible for this idiocy.

Threatening the individuals involved alone does nothing. This way forces changes.

This is a legal point I am completely unsure of, but, can you sue them individually or are you required to go after them as an entity? After all, we are not dealing with a teacher that was acting on his own wishes, but individuals who were acting on BEHALF of the larger entity (the school).

deebakes
12-03-2011, 05:24 PM
did people not read the part about making the kid strip to his underwear? :wtf:

JoeyB
12-03-2011, 08:48 PM
did people not read the part about making the kid strip to his underwear? :wtf:

What sort of kid has 200 bucks in cash though, that's weird in and of itself.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I always had 200 bucks at school. But I was selling weed ;)

deebakes
12-03-2011, 09:04 PM
i carried $200 also because it was costing me about $10 a blowjob back then :-k

DemonGeminiX
12-03-2011, 09:09 PM

:hand:

It cost me $5 a blowjob back when I was in school.

She was missing teeth.

8-[

JoeyB
12-03-2011, 09:42 PM

See, bet this punk was too.

Wow, you must have really liked sucking cock to pay for it.

Hey! Four posts from the big 5k!

:hand:

It cost me $5 a blowjob back when I was in school.

She was missing teeth.

8-[

Don't they usually charge extra for a gumjob?

Goofy
12-04-2011, 10:56 AM

:lol: