PDA

View Full Version : Teen stopped at airport for design on purse

Teh One Who Knocks
12-02-2011, 12:12 PM
17-year-old missed flight to Jacksonville after agents inspected gun replica
News 4 Jacksonville

http://i.imgur.com/H5s0P.png

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A teenage girl's sense of style got her in trouble at the airport.

Vanessa Gibbs, 17, claims the Transportation Security Administration stopped her at the security gate because of the design of a gun on her handbag.

Gibbs said she had no problem going through security at Jacksonville International Airport, but rather, when she headed home from Virginia.

"It's my style, it's camouflage, it has an old western gun on it," Gibbs said.

But her preference for the pistol style didn't sit well with TSA agents at the Norfolk airport.

Gibbs said she was headed back home to Jacksonville from a holiday trip when an agent flagged her purse as a security risk.

"She was like, 'This is a federal offense because it's in the shape of a gun,'" Gibbs said. "I'm like, 'But it's a design on a purse. How is it a federal offense?'"

After agents figured out the gun was a fake, Gibbs said, TSA told her to check the bag or turn it over.

By the time security wrapped up the inspection, the pregnant teen missed her flight, and Southwest Airlines sent her to Orlando instead, worrying her mother, who was already waiting for her to arrive at JIA.

"Oh, it's terrifying. I was so upset," said Tami Gibbs, the teen's mom. "I was on the phone all the way to Orlando trying to figure out what was going on with her. It was terrifying. I don't ever want to go through it again."

Vanessa and her mom said it's hard to believe anyone could mistake the design on the purse for a real gun because it's just a few inches in size and it's hollow, not to mention Vanessa has taken it on planes before.

"I carried this from Jacksonville to Norfolk, and I've carried it from Norfolk to Jacksonville," Vanessa said. "Never once has anyone said anything about it until now."

TSA isn't budging on the handbag, arguing the phony gun could be considered a "replica weapon." The TSA says "replica weapons have prohibited since 2002."

It's a rule that Vanessa feels can't be applied to a purse.

"Common sense," she said. "It's a purse, not a weapon."

A TSA official at JIA said it's not that uncommon for passengers to wear something that could be considered a gun replica, but the official encourages everyone to check the prohibited items list, which can be found online or at the airport before going through security.

MrsM
12-02-2011, 02:05 PM
:facepalm: good thing she didn't travel with one of these

http://hostingc.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-10/5867gun_dildo.jpg

Acid Trip
12-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Clearly the TSA has just stopped an act of terror! We should be grateful for the stupendous job the TSA does protecting us from fake, hollow guns!

:roll:

Hal-9000
12-02-2011, 03:07 PM
:facepalm: good thing she didn't travel with one of these

http://hostingc.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-10/5867gun_dildo.jpg

:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-02-2011, 03:51 PM
The poor 17 year old pregnant teen :waa: You can get arrested for a gun shaped lighter at the airport moron.

MrsM
12-02-2011, 04:00 PM
The poor 17 year old pregnant teen :waa: You can get arrested for a gun shaped lighter at the airport moron.

There is a pretty big difference between a Gun shaped lighter and a gun shaped decoration of a purse. What next? If you have a picture of a gun on your shirt that you have to check it?

PorkChopSandwiches
12-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Im not saying I agree with TSA, Im just saying everyone knows the deal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7431640.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44710000/jpg/_44710064_t-shirt1_226.jpg

A man wearing a T-shirt depicting a cartoon character holding a gun was stopped from boarding a flight by the security at Heathrow's Terminal 5.
Brad Jayakody, from Bayswater, central London, said he was "stumped" at the objection to his Transformers T-shirt.

Mr Jayakody said he had to change before boarding as security officers objected to the gun, held by the cartoon character.
Airport operator BAA said it was investigating the incident.

Mr Jayakody said the incident happened a few weeks ago, when he was challenged by an official during a pre-flight security check.

I was just looking for someone with a bit of common sense
Brad Jayakody

"He says, 'we won't be able to let you through because your T-shirt has got a gun on it'," Mr Jayakody said.

"I was like, 'What are you talking about?'.

"[The official's] supervisor comes over and goes 'sorry we can't let you through and you've a gun on your T-shirt'," he said.

Mr Jayakody said he had to strip and change his T-shirt there before he was allowed to board his flight.

"I was just looking for someone with a bit of common sense," he said.

"It's a cartoon robot - what threat is it to security or offensive to anyone at all?"

A BAA spokesman said there was no record of the incident and no "formal complaint" had been made.

"If a T-shirt had a rude word or a bomb on it, for example, a passenger may be asked to remove it," he said.

"We are investigating what happened to see if it came under this category.

"If it's offensive, we don't want other passengers upset."

Godfather
12-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I agree with porky.... how could you not know that a purse with a gun on it was going to create a problem :roll: Smarten up.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-02-2011, 04:53 PM
You can tell she's bright, preggo at 17 :tup:

Hal-9000
12-02-2011, 05:22 PM
that tshirt thing is absolute bullsheeeeeet

PorkChopSandwiches
12-02-2011, 05:24 PM
TSA is absolute bullshit, but it is what it is ;)

deebakes
12-03-2011, 05:31 PM
:tinfoil:

JoeyB
12-03-2011, 08:33 PM
:tinfoil:

Do you work for the TSA?

Oh, you are almost at 5000 posts!

PorkChopSandwiches
12-03-2011, 08:45 PM
I like to go through tsa nude

deebakes