PDA

View Full Version : Man accused of fatally shooting his brother at 'farewell party' in Port St. Lucie

Teh One Who Knocks
12-03-2011, 02:22 PM
By Will Greenlee, The Treasure Coast Palm

http://i.imgur.com/dgJgl.jpg

PORT ST. LUCIE—An 18-year-old man was arrested late Thursday in connection with the fatal shooting of his older brother at a "farewell party," according to officials and records released Friday.

Evans Honord, of the 900 block of Southwest Durham Terrace in Port St. Lucie, was arrested shortly after 11 p.m. He is charged with homicide/negligent manslaughter in connection with the incident earlier in the evening.

Honord's brother, Schadrac Honord, 21, was pronounced dead at 6:55 p.m. after the 6 p.m. shooting at a home in the 1800 block of Southwest Cameo Boulevard. Port St. Lucie police said the Honord brothers were at the home for a "farewell party" for a friend.
Video: Mom turns in foul-mouthed son in Santa hat to police (graphic warning)

Evans Honord told police he had "played" with a loaded gun that belonged to a friend, an arrest affidavit says.

"He then pulled the trigger and the firearm went off, and he saw his brother go straight to the ground," the affidavit says. "Evans then walked away from the couch and began stating that 'I shot my brother.'"

When police arrived, at least three other people were there. One of the three said he was packing to go to Montana on Friday before moving to California. He said he had put his loaded gun on the couch with the safety on. He said he had put a pillow over the gun.

He said he had announced that the firearm was loaded and that it should not be touched. He kept packing, and heard a bang before seeing Schadrac Honord on the floor. He said he called 911 and began helping Schadrac Honord as he heard Evans Honord repeatedly say, "I shot my brother."

Another person at the home said he was sitting in the living room watching television and playing with two children. He said he heard a bang that sounded like a balloon popping and, when he turned around, saw Evans Honord with a gun in his hand.

"Evans then stated several times 'I shot my brother' as he paced around the house," the affidavit says.

Another person said she heard a shot. Her back was to the Honords at the time. She turned and saw a gun on the couch, and said Evans Honord said, "I shot my brother."

Evans Honord was being held Friday in the St. Lucie County jail on $25,000 bond, a jail official said.