PDA

View Full Version : Brazil football legend Socrates dies at 57

redred
12-04-2011, 05:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vk2OkagTuY

He had been in a critical condition with an intestinal infection since being admitted to intensive care on Friday at a hospital in Sao Paulo.

Socrates, who was widely regarded as one of the greatest ever midfielders, was moved onto a life support machine on Saturday.

He played in two World Cups, won 60 caps for his country between 1979 and 1986 and scored 22 goals.

SOCRATES FACTFILE
Continue reading the main story
Born on 19 February 1954 in Belem do Para, Brazil
Rated as one of the greatest midfielders of all-time
At 6ft 4in tall he was known for his physical strength, as well as two-footed vision and skill
Played for Botafogo and Corinthians in Brazil before a one-season spell at Fiorentina
Saw out his career with Flamengo and Santos before retiring in 1989 aged 35
In 2004 aged 50, Socrates made an appearance as sub for Garforth Town in the Northern Counties League after a one-off deal to become player-coach
The former Corinthians player, whose full name was Socrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Sousa Vieira de Oliveira, was taken to the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo with food poisoning on Friday, according to his wife.

A hospital statement said on Saturday that the former footballer was "in a critical condition due to a septic shock of intestinal origin".

It added he was breathing with a ventilator and using a dialysis machine.

Paolo Rossi, who scored a hat-trick in Italy's memorable 3-2 quarter-final win over Socrates's Brazil in 1982 - widely regarded as one of the greatest games in World Cup history - said: "I'm really sorry for Socrates.

"He's also a little bit one of ours. It's a piece of our history that's broken off and gone away."

Socrates scored Brazil's first goal in that match, beating Dino Zoff at the near post after running on to Zico's wonderful through ball.

He's also a little bit one of ours. It's a piece of our history that's broken off and gone away
Paolo Rossi
Former Italy striker
"I remember the goal he scored against Zoff; he was one on one and it didn't seem like he could get to the ball. He looked slow but in reality he wasn't."

Fiorentina, where Socrates played one season, paid their own tribute in a statement that read: "To the unforgettable 'Doctor' who played with the purple shirt in 1984/85, playing 25 matches and scoring six goals and who will always be remembered for his footballing intelligence, he will be affectionately remembered by the club, the team and the Fiorentina fans."

Giancarlo Antognoni, a team-mate of Socrates at Fiorentina and an opponent in that famous 1982 World Cup clash, said: "I'm really hurt.

"He was a true personality, above the rules with his own methodology, his way of life and his ideas.

1982 World Cup - Italy 3-2 Brazil
"He struggled to adapt to our football but he was an authentic champion, full of refined class, great charisma and character."

Giancarlo De Sista, Fiorentina's coach at the time, also spoke of his admiration for Socrates as a player and a person.

"Socrates was a very intelligent man; he had great class," he said.

"I remember that he was an objector. He wanted to know everything - why he couldn't smoke on the team bus, why we had to be in retreat on the Saturday nights before games.

"He was an intelligent person who was interested in politics, although he smoked and drank a bit too much."

RIP Socrates. Brazilian legend
Arsenal striker Robin van Persie on Twitter
Socrates was taken to hospital twice in August and September this year with bleeding in his digestive tract.

After these incidents he admitted he had problems with alcohol, especially so during his playing career. He is also well known for his smoking habit.

In a recent television interview, Socrates said he had considered alcohol his "companion" but believed its regular use did not affect his performance on the field.

"Alcohol did not affect my career, in part because I never had the physical build to play this game," he said.

"Soccer became my profession only when I was already 24. I was too thin and when I was young I did not have the opportunity to prepare myself physically for the sport."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16017071.stm

Joebob034
12-05-2011, 03:07 AM
http://www.philosophypages.com/vy/socr1.jpg

:-k

deebakes
12-05-2011, 03:11 AM
:shrug:

redred
12-05-2011, 08:59 AM
:slap: