PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Poll: Gingrich leads GOP pack, then Paul, Romney

PorkChopSandwiches
12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
With the dizzying fall of Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich has stepped into the breach and now stands alone as the most popular GOP presidential candidate in The Des Moines Register’s new Iowa Poll.

http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/des.1204.poll_.w.text_-450x372.jpg

Gingrich, with support of 25 percent of likely Republican caucusgoers, is seven points ahead of the rising Ron Paul, who’s at 18 percent. Mitt Romney drops to third, at 16percent, denting his previously armor-plated Iowa polling average. Romney’s support stood at 22 percent last month.

Cain, who suspended his campaign Saturday, had plunged from 23 percent to 8 percent in just over a month, tied with Michele Bachmann.

In a race that’s still far from settled, previous candidate surges have had a half life. But Gingrich’s comes at a critical time — with just a month until the first votes are cast in the nation’s GOP nominating contest. The key question is whether his support represents momentum or a peak.

Politics watchers say it could be difficult for Gingrich to withstand the rigors of front-runner status, especially when his campaign has shown a lack of discipline so far, plagued by early debt, staff turnover and a paper-thin organization.

Gingrich has been “a one-man band just standing onstage and pontificating,” Republican strategist Mike Murphy said. “On caucus night, can you convoy and get people there?”

One striking finding: The results show Gingrich’s ascendancy has the potential to grow, pollster J. Ann Selzer said.

More respondents choose Gingrich as their second choice than any other candidate. Together, 43 percent of likely caucusgoers pick him as first or second.

With Cain’s departure from the race, Gingrich will likely benefit. More Cain supporters name Gingrich as their second choice than any other candidate.

Rounding out the field: The two Ricks, Perry and Santorum, are locked in a tie at 6 percent. At the bottom is Jon Huntsman at 2 percent.

Selzer & Co. of Des Moines conducted the poll of 401 likely Republican caucusgoers Nov. 27-30. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

The race remains elastic. Eleven percent of likely caucusgoers are uncommitted to a first choice, and 60percent are still willing to change their mind. A single day’s news can seesaw opinions.

Another interesting finding: Paul, often dismissed by the political establishment, has climbed 6 points since the Register’s October poll.

“The big surprise potential now is with Ron Paul,” said Larry Sabato, director of the Center for Politics at the University of Virginia.

But Paul could be closing in on his ceiling, the poll indicates. Just 7 percent choose him as their second choice.

“This is where Paul is weak, in that he has little breadth from which to draw new support,” Selzer said.

Although Romney is no longer king in the Iowa Poll — he was No. 1 in June and just a point off the lead in October — the results contain some positive signs for his Iowa campaign.

Pluralities of likely caucusgoers see Romney as the most electable candidate in the general election, and the most presidential. Gingrich supporters name Romney as their second choice more than any other candidate. And Romney takes the likability crown that caucusgoers bestowed on Cain a month ago.

Leading on electability offers perhaps the brightest ray of hope for Romney supporters. Gingrich’s surge might prove another primal but short-lived scream of frustration at the direction the country is headed.

As the Jan. 3 caucuses near, their theory goes, Republicans will eventually gravitate to the candidate they think can best beat Democratic President Barack Obama.

Thirty-five percent of poll respondents have seen at least one candidate in person.

That’s slightly higher than four years ago, when candidates had had a live audience with 31 percent of likely caucusgoers by late December.

Why can’t Iowa Republicans make up their minds? Ninety-two percent of those not fully committed to their first choice say they just always keep their mind open to switching candidates.

But 25 percent say they’re concerned there may be a new revelation about their first choice, and 16 percent say there’s something they already know about their candidate that makes them uneasy.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
http://f1rstshop.com/newsite/images/surf/06-2010/surf_06-13-2010_movin_ad-01.jpg

Loser
12-05-2011, 04:10 PM
If the flip flopper or the hypocrite get into office, expect things to remain the same for the next 4-8 years :sigh:

Muddy
12-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Romney will never get elected not being a Christian..

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2011, 04:12 PM
If the flip flopper or the hypocrite get into office, expect things to remain the same for the next 4-8 years :sigh:

The republicans could run a cardboard cutout advertisement taken from a liquor store and I would vote for it before I would cast a vote for President Obama.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Ron Paul people, lets get America back on track. Newt was getting kick backs from Freddie and Fanny

Muddy
12-05-2011, 04:14 PM
The republicans could run a cardboard cutout advertisement taken from a liquor store and I would vote for it before I would cast a vote for President Obama.

Bin Ladens dead, Khaddafi's dead, we are leaving Iraq, Dow is up, Gas is cheaper, Unemployment is down, I'm having a record year in terms of income... I don't see where he's doing too bad a job?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Bin Ladens dead, Khaddafi's dead, we are leaving Iraq, Dow is up, Gas is cheaper, Unemployment is down, I'm having a record year in terms of income... I don't see where he's doing too bad a job?

George Bush signed the agreement to leave Iraq, Obama is just enforcing it. Gas is not cheaper than it was when he took office and unemployment is not lower than it was when he took office. Do you get your news from ONN? :-k

Muddy
12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
George Bush signed the agreement to leave Iraq, Obama is just enforcing it. Gas is not cheaper than it was when he took office and unemployment is not lower than it was when he took office. Do you get your news from ONN? :-k

Considering the Bush clan got us into this mess, I don't see how a Republican is going to make this thing happen any quicker than it already is.. I remember 3 years ago with the GOP were considered the worst of the worst. Especially with Newt being in bed with big business.. Time to swing the pendulm hard right and start draining blood from my other arm.

Do you get your underwear from Sears?

PorkChopSandwiches
12-05-2011, 04:45 PM

Bwhahahahaha

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Considering the Bush clan got us into this mess, I don't see how a Republican is going to make this thing happen any quicker than it already is.. I remember 3 years ago with the GOP were considered the worst of the worst. Especially with Newt being in bed with big business.. Time to swing the pendulm hard right and start draining blood from my other arm.

Nice comeback, you call your kids to get that one? :thumbsup:

Muddy
12-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Made Porky laugh didn't it? :nana:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Made Porky laugh didn't it? :nana:

Fart jokes make Porky laugh, it's not a hard thing to do :hand:

Acid Trip
12-05-2011, 05:33 PM

The Democrats controlled all of Congress from January 2007 until January of 2011. If you think their control of Congress didn't have anything to do with the financial meltdown of 2008/2009 you are sadly mistaken.

Once again Muddy (Mr. "I'm not a Democrat") blames one party (Republicans) for all the ills in this country. We are all so blind! Why can't everyone just vote Democrat so the United States can become a liberal utopia! A place where no one works and everything we need is provided for free from the government! Things would be so much better!

:roll:

Muddy
12-05-2011, 05:48 PM
blah blah bl;ah

:roll:

What I'm saying is none of these clowns are any better than the last joke the GOP put into office.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Why can't everyone just vote Democrat so the United States can become a liberal utopia!

http://theblacksphere.net/wp-content/uploads/utopia.png

Deepsepia
12-05-2011, 09:51 PM
What I'm saying is none of these clowns are any better than the last joke the GOP put into office.

I think they're both better, each risky in his own way.

Romney is a weasel, but he's a very smart weasel, and he's been a successful one.

Gingrich is a smart guy -- probably less smart than he thinks, but still-- who is willing to trust his own analysis instead of the party line.

And Ron Paul is a complete outlier, a guy who actually answers questions straight. I don't agree with him all of the time -- though I do a lot of the time-- but I can say, "you never get the feeling Ron Paul is peddling the 'spin o'the day' "

So I don't consider any of them "clowns"; other than Paul, I'm not actually sure what Romney or Gingrich would actually do in office, but it wouldn't be the product of a random or lazy mind.

I think if you were looking for "candidate most likely to do what he says he'll do" -- Paul has to be the leader on that criterion.

I think Gingrich vs Obama would produce the most interesting race, and the most interesting debates. Gingrich could really put questions to the President, and vice versa . . . so on balance, I think a Gingrich candidacy is probably best for the nation, but Romney is probably more likely to beat Obama.

. . .although you watch Romney's interview with Fox News, and he looks like such a prick that I dunno. . . a Republican candidate who gets all pissy at tough questions from Fox has a problem.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-05-2011, 09:54 PM
I think if you were looking for "candidate most likely to do what he says he'll do" -- Paul has to be the leader on that criterion.

^^^^^^^

FBD
12-05-2011, 09:56 PM

worst of the worst :lol: of course, according to the MSM! Do you believe everything the TV tells you?

Obama has spent more money on making sure Union members have dues money to pay (or, we can try calling it "stimulating the economy") than what Iraq cost, what of that debacle?

democrats have done no budget 3 years running, what about that debacle?

we borrow 40% of every dollar the government spends, what of that debacle of huge promises of other people's money that is growing beyond what can be afforded?

record number of people on food stamps, 99 weeks of unemployment, we lose 300k from the jobless rolls due to people stopping looking for work, admin reports we now have 8.6% severely skewed number, what of that debacle?

we have anti gun zealots in the admin sending arms to drug cartels to make it look like guns just walk, they seal the records up so that people cant access the information...no debacle there! :rolleyes:

Iraq is the least of our fuggin worries, brah! The only thing we can be sure of is that Obama wont run on his record, because it sucks.

Newt is right, any single one of them up there on that stage will do a better job than Obama as president. Even Huntsman, as much as we laugh at him.

And of course I can compare Palin to Cain, when you have a room full of kindergartners jumping up and down saying "gotcha! gotcha! gotcha!" like the media has with both of them, its a pretty easy compare. You are what they say you are regardless of what you actually are. Palin would make an exponentially better president than Obama, and if you're too "cant get that Katie interview out of my head" to see that, well...I dont know what to do with the horse that is led to water but refuses to drink. :razz: