PDA

View Full Version : First amendment vs. Christmas in Loudoun County

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2011, 12:23 PM
By Kris Van Cleave - WJLA-TV Channel 7

http://i.imgur.com/e9xi6.jpg

A shocking Christmas-time display was seen in front of the Leesburg courthouse Monday: It showed a crucified skeleton in a Santa costume.

A couple hours later, that display was knocked down. The skeleton was in a heap on the court house lawn and a display was moved in front of it. That display was a letter addressed to Christians, signed Jesus. It apparently belongs to an atheist.

“I’m thrilled it got knocked down,” says Brooke Rogers, a Leesburg resident. “I hope no children saw it while it was up. I think it’s really disturbing.”

The woman responsible for putting up the Santa skeleton took it down while people were in the public meeting about the decorations. People who know the woman said she does not plan to put the decorations back up.

Christmas has become contentious in Loudoun County after the constitutionality of the annual Nativity scene was questioned.

Public uproar stopped the board of supervisors from banning displays all together, so now the county issues several permits for displays that are religious and otherwise. A group of atheists says they should all go. But if they’re allowed everyone should a get a say.

“You don’t say free speech and then tear down someone else’s display,” says Rick Wingrove, Virginia director of American Atheists.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Look, I've said this before and I'll say it again....I am not even remotely religious by any stretch of the imagination, but I have yet in all my life found myself being 'repressed' or offended by Christmas decorations. This has nothing to do with free speech or the 1st Amendment, this is all about a minority of LOOK AT ME!!! attention whores who have nothing better to do than piss all over other people's fun and celebrations.

Christmas is a religious based holiday, fucking deal with it. Don't like it, don't celebrate it, simple fucking enough. STFU and GTFO with your bullshit all in the name of free speech. :roll: Man these morons piss me right the fuck off.

Pony
12-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Santa forgives you.

FBD
12-06-2011, 05:11 PM
I think its stupid that "the government shall make no law respecting establishment of religion" gets extrapolated to "there can be no public displays of christianity."

Muddy
12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Kill them Lance...

Joebob034
12-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Look, I've said this before and I'll say it again....I am not even remotely religious by any stretch of the imagination, but I have yet in all my life found myself being 'repressed' or offended by Christmas decorations. This has nothing to do with free speech or the 1st Amendment, this is all about a minority of LOOK AT ME!!! attention whores who have nothing better to do than piss all over other people's fun and celebrations.

Christmas is a religious based holiday, fucking deal with it. Don't like it, don't celebrate it, simple fucking enough. STFU and GTFO with your bullshit all in the name of free speech. :roll: Man these morons piss me right the fuck off.

I can't stand atheists. Not because of what they believe but because they're the pushiest ones about their beliefs.

Acid Trip
12-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

We've never established a national religion so that part is covered. According to the Constitution, not allowing religious decorations on State or Federal property goes against the 1st Amendment. By disallowing the decorations we are prohibiting the free exercise of religion and that's against the law of the land (aka the Constitution).

Just like liberals want you to believe that the 2nd Amendment doesn't explicitly say everyone can own a gun, those of us who have mastered reading comprehension know otherwise.

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed Notice there are no caveats to that statement.