PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian panel proposes tighter gun laws after massacre

JoeyB
12-06-2011, 11:28 PM
An independent panel on Monday unveiled proposals to tighten arms laws in Norway which suffered its worst peacetime attack in July when a right-wing extremist killed 77 people.

The committee, instituted in June last year before the July 22nd carnage, said the 50-year-old weapons laws needed to be replaced with tighter legislation.

It said a medical certificate should be mandatory for buying a first weapon, suggested regular checks on weapon owners and the listing of guns that take lead ammunition, which are theoretically banned from use.

The eight members of the panel said they favoured a broad ban on individual possession of pistols and semi-automatic weapons.

The review was set up after Anders Behring Breivik in July set off a bomb outside government offices in Oslo and then shot scores of youngsters at a Labour youth summer camp on an island near the capital.

During his shooting spree he used a rifle and a revolver -- a Ruger Mini 14 lightweight semi-automatic carbine and a German-made Glock pistol -- to kill 69 people.

The 32-year-old managed to get legal permission for the weapons on the grounds that he was a member of a shooting club and also hunted.

The justice ministry said it would study the proposals before commenting.

Prosecutors last Tuesday declared Behring Breivik criminally insane when he carried out the deadly rampage after two psychiatrists who examined him concluded that he suffered from paranoid schizophrenia.

By removing Behring Breivik's criminal responsibility, the diagnosis will probably see him sentenced to receive psychiatric care in a closed institution -- possibly for the rest of his life -- instead of prison.

Godfather
12-07-2011, 01:59 AM
I have to believe this guy would have got guns if they were banned outright in Norway and the three neighboring states :wha: This guy set up a farming company to get fertilizer. Fuggin' nut case.

In Canada we have tight laws around who gets weapons with the Possession license. I got mine a few months ago and they phoned me and 3 other references ( who you've known 3+ years). The questions they asked everyone were extensive, you had to do a criminal record check, they look into your recent relationships and medical history. Maybe that would have slowed this guy down. But I doubt it would stop him...

Hal-9000
12-07-2011, 02:21 AM
I have to believe this guy would have got guns if they were banned outright in Norway and the three neighboring states :wha: This guy set up a farming company to get fertilizer. Fuggin' nut case.

In Canada we have tight laws around who gets weapons with the Possession license. I got mine a few months ago and they phoned me and 3 other references ( who you've known 3+ years). The questions they asked everyone were extensive, you had to do a criminal record check, they look into your recent relationships and medical history. Maybe that would have slowed this guy down. But I doubt it would stop him...

That's how it should be everywhere...and they should add the question - Have you recently been fired from the postal service industry?

*good thing they didn't call me GF, I would have given them an earful about you :rofl:

Godfather
12-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Ya I think our laws in that respect are fair

The laws around what weapons are Non-Restricted (ie. hunting rifles), Restricted (anything remotely fun or smaller than a set length) or Prohibited (not available to all but cops)... those are all extremely strict. But they're actually doing away with part of the Registration (and deleting all records) in the next few months here! It is the part that required Long Guns to be registered, cost $1 billion over the past 2 decades and is redundant alongside the PAL process. Finally some reason...

Hal-9000
12-07-2011, 02:44 AM
It's the check I'm interested in for the license....I always think of that Simpson's episode

Gun clerk - you'll have to wait 2 weeks for the permit Mr Simpson
Homer - But I'm mad now! :(

:lol:

Deepsepia
12-07-2011, 02:50 AM
Australia passed similar legislation after a similar massacre about ten years ago.

I don't know if Brevik could have been stopped-- he seems relatively sane. The guy who clearly set off every "nutcase detector"would be Jared Loughner. People with no mental health training could tell that he was nuts, and dangerous.

Whatever you think about guns, there does need to be some way to keep folks with massive mental health issues from getting them.

Hal-9000
12-07-2011, 02:58 AM
It's the 'normal' people that frighten me.The guy who is angry and had enough for whatever reason...and has 6 guns at home waiting.Some people feel the need to equalize situations using guns, while others know enough not to take it to that level no matter what.It's a razor sharp line...anger...and I'm not talking about folks who use guns to protect themselves, different thread entirely.

JoeyB
12-07-2011, 07:10 AM
They are trying to filter out the nutjobs here in America too you know:

http://www.fixgunchecks.org/