View Full Version : The NBA thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

DemonGeminiX
01-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Here's the court discussion.

;)

Teh One Who Knocks
01-31-2011, 10:57 AM
http://i.imgur.com/3JyJU.jpg (http://imgur.com/3JyJU)

:banana:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Cleveland has lost 25 in a row....an NBA record :shock:

samarchepas
02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
:LMAO: To think that their owner said that Cleveland would win an NBA Title before Lebron...to win the Larry O'Brien trophy...you have to win a game once in while ya know.... :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Yeah, he may have been a little over optimistic :-k

:lol:

Joebob034
02-08-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm gonna say it right now - The Cavs will break their streak against the Pistons just to make this season even more embarrassing for us.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2011, 11:10 PM
When do they play next against each other?

Joebob034
02-08-2011, 11:17 PM
tomorrow

samarchepas
02-10-2011, 04:17 AM
1 more loss and they will have the longest losing streak of all Pro sports in North America :lol:

Joebob034
02-10-2011, 10:36 PM
well thankfully i was wrong with my prediction, the pistons beat the cavs which just goes to show you how bad the cavs really are

Teh One Who Knocks
02-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Maybe next time :tup:

Joebob034
02-14-2011, 04:28 PM
well both streaks are over now, the Cavs finally won and the Wizards won their first game on the road......against the Cavs who else?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Well, looks like they finally pulled the trigger. According to the Denver Post, Melo has been traded

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17447733

DemonGeminiX
02-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Watch they start winning now.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Who, the Nuggets? Just from looking at the deal, I think we're getting raped :wha:

Joebob034
02-22-2011, 11:39 PM
so why doesn't the NBA just contract to 5 teams since players get to choose wherever they want to play :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Did you know that since 1980, only 8 teams in the entire NBA have won the championship?

The NBA needs a hard salary cap in the worst way :wha:

Joebob034
02-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Did you know that since 1980, only 8 teams in the entire NBA have won the championship?

The NBA needs a hard salary cap in the worst way :wha:

Pistons with 3 :dance:

Joebob034
02-23-2011, 04:12 PM
The Jazz have agreed to trade Derron Williams to the Nets. The Jazz will receive rookie power forward Derrick Favors, point guard Devin Harris, two first-round draft picks and $3 million cash. The Nets will also send Troy Murphy's expiring contract to Golden State in exchange for big men Dan Gadzuric and Brandan Wright.

:shock: didn't see that one coming

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Pistons with 3 :dance:

Celtics with 4 :nana:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2011, 04:32 PM
The Jazz have agreed to trade Derron Williams to the Nets. The Jazz will receive rookie power forward Derrick Favors, point guard Devin Harris, two first-round draft picks and $3 million cash. The Nets will also send Troy Murphy's expiring contract to Golden State in exchange for big men Dan Gadzuric and Brandan Wright.

:shock: didn't see that one coming

They had to do something after losing out on Melo. I was hoping we would have dealt with Jersey because I like that Favors kid

Joebob034
02-23-2011, 04:42 PM
They had to do something after losing out on Melo. I was hoping we would have dealt with Jersey because I like that Favors kid

yeah but you know Melo wasn't gonna sign an extension with them, he wanted to play with the Knicks, and I guess Utah saw the writing on the wall and knew they were gonna lose Williams in a year to free agency.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2011, 04:57 PM
After looking at the trade a little closer, I think the Nuggets actually didn't do too bad overall. Sorry that we lost Chauncey in this mess tho :wha:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2011, 05:42 PM
So how did the Pistons do the other night against Denver? :-k

:shifty:

Joebob034
03-14-2011, 05:52 PM
So how did the Pistons do the other night against Denver? :-k

:shifty:

What a fucking joke this franchise has become, It's pretty sad that out of the four major teams they are #4 as far as how much people care about them in Detroit, and it's not even close between them and the other 3 franchises.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Even behind the Lions? :shock:

Joebob034
03-15-2011, 04:05 AM
Even behind the Lions? :shock:

hey for the first time in a decade the lions are actually showing growth and improvement, so of course there's a lockout that happens to prevent this team from getting any better

Teh One Who Knocks
04-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Nuggets beat the Lakers in LA :banana:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7C6Un.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
04-04-2011, 05:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/rgl7f.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Good to see just how much respect the Nuggets/Thunder series is getting from the NBA....nothing says respect like a 9:30 EDT game time on a work night :thumbsup:

:roll:

Cactus
04-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Lakers and Spurs both lose their Game 1s. I wonder if both of them are too old for a title run? Or it could just be a one game fluke.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Nuggets lost :wha:

Good thing they were on so late so I didn't have to watch it [/sarcasm]

At least the Celtics won....this may be their last chance at a title run with their current roster.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Celtics are the first team to advance to the next round :cheerlead:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Nuggets may be eliminated and the aging Celts are down 0-2 to the Heat.....but the Lakers lost the first 2 games at home to the Mavs and that makes me happy :dance:

Yt Trash
05-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Go HEAT!

PorkChopSandwiches
05-05-2011, 01:46 PM
but the Lakers lost the first 2 games at home to the Mavs and that makes me happy :dance:

:mad:

They sucked, I went to the game on Monday too and they fuckin gave it away at the end. They better win both these away games.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2011, 01:53 PM
:nana:

Arkady Renko
05-06-2011, 03:47 PM
:mad:

They sucked, I went to the game on Monday too and they fuckin gave it away at the end. They better win both these away games.

I think Dirk will know how to stop that from happening...

PorkChopSandwiches
05-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I think Dirk will know how to stop that from happening...

Yeah, he is the most dominate player out there. Now we don't even have Artest...we're fucked :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2011, 03:55 PM
I'd say the Celtics tomorrow and the Lakers tonite are both in must-win situations. Go down 0-3 and it's pretty much over.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Pretty much

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2011, 04:05 PM
It's a little easier for Boston since 3 of the next 5 are still at home, but for the Lakers it's gonna be tough since they have 3 of 5 on the road now, especially with no Artest tonight to start those off

PorkChopSandwiches
05-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah, Im pretty sure its a done deal, they dont even seem to try 100%

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Lakers could be eliminated today :dance2:

DemonGeminiX
05-09-2011, 03:18 AM
Am I hearing this right? Did the Lakers get swept by the Mavericks?

:-k

8-[

*Pokes Porky*

:poke:

deebakes
05-09-2011, 03:30 AM
lakers got swept and bynum should be kicked out of the league for his bullshit antics during the blowout...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAnzAesm8e0

DemonGeminiX
05-09-2011, 03:59 AM
He still made that shot too, didn't he?

deebakes
05-09-2011, 04:08 AM
yep, and the plus 2 :lol:

deebakes
05-09-2011, 04:09 AM
but seriously, i think the thug has got to get thrown the fuck out for good :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2011, 10:47 AM

8-[

*Pokes Porky*

Yup, the Lakers didn't even show up for the last game and got their asses handed to them :dance:

Arkady Renko
05-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Yeah, he is the most dominate player out there. Now we don't even have Artest...we're fucked :lol:

With his funny bavarian accent he's a bit like Schwarzenegger. Unique talent in an odd package.

8-[

*Pokes Porky*

Calll me cynical but I'm pretty sure they'll make mince of either Oklahoma or Memphis only to go down in flames against whomever wins the east. I wish it wasn't so but I have little faith in their ability to see it through til a fourt victory in the finals. I do hope they prove me wrong though.

but seriously, i think the thug has got to get thrown the fuck out for good :tup:

If he had tried to play as hard as he elbowed Barea, maybe the Lakers would have had a chance...

Yup, the Lakers didn't even show up for the last game and got their asses handed to them :dance:

absolutely, I'm sad that this is the farewell they offered Phil Jackson, that wasn't a worthy effort for his last game on the bench.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2011, 02:02 PM
absolutely, I'm sad that this is the farewell they offered Phil Jackson, that wasn't a worthy effort for his last game on the bench.

I'm not sad about that at all...I'm kinda glad that's how Jackson's last game went. I've always felt he was the most overrated coach in NBA history.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2011, 02:16 PM

8-[

*Pokes Porky*

The deserved to be swept, they looked like shit since the playoffs started.

lakers got swept and bynum should be kicked out of the league for his bullshit antics during the blowout...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAnzAesm8e0

I hate that gangsta mentality. What a douche bag.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm not sad about that at all...I'm kinda glad that's how Jackson's last game went. I've always felt he was the most overrated coach in NBA history.

Overrated? He's got more wins and rings then any other coach.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Overrated? He's got more wins and rings then any other coach.

Yeah, let's see him coach a team without a player named Kobe, Shaq, Jordan, or Pippen :rolleyes:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2011, 03:08 PM
The numbers are the numbers, you cant take that away from him.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Sure I can :dance:

Dude, you could have coached those Laker teams to the championships

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Well, I too am an awesome coach with a triangle offense

Muddy
05-09-2011, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIbp5C-5WXM

RBP
05-09-2011, 04:33 PM
I hate that gangsta mentality. What a douche bag.

Sure, pick on the white guy. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2011, 04:44 PM
White guy :shock:

Joebob034
05-09-2011, 06:11 PM
almost 40 pts?!?!?! :shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
And the Celtics beat the Heat Saturday with a one-armed point guard :dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2011, 06:57 PM
http://images.wildammo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/douche.gif

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2011, 07:03 PM
I think he meant to grab that necklace and pull it up in the air like he was going to choke himself :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Well, that will be it for the Celtics...too many injuries this late in the season. If they could have held on and won in regulation and tied the series, then maybe they would have had a chance, but being down 3-1 and heading back to Miami, that will be the end of the road for them.

I'll be pulling for OKC now...last small market team left in the playoffs and Durant is a good guy (I know their series isn't over yet, but they should win I think).

Arkady Renko
05-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Yeah, let's see him coach a team without a player named Kobe, Shaq, Jordan, or Pippen :rolleyes:

You sure have a point, if you look at how the Bulls stank during Jordan's time outs...but I suppose his principal merit is that he managed to keep a handful of extremely talented, extremely narcisstical players from turning one ach other and drove them to be more than the sum of the pieces. Other teams have had as much or similar individual quality but not nearly the success Jackson's teams enjoyed.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2011, 02:25 PM
You sure have a point, if you look at how the Bulls stank during Jordan's time outs...but I suppose his principal merit is that he managed to keep a handful of extremely talented, extremely narcisstical players from turning one ach other and drove them to be more than the sum of the pieces. Other teams have had as much or similar individual quality but not nearly the success Jackson's teams enjoyed.

Exactly....I'm not gonna say that it didn't take some skill to keep all those egos in check while he was coaching the Bulls and the Lakers, but to call someone the 'greatest of all time' when he had that kind of talent for most of his time as a coach is ludicrous.

Let Jackson take over a team that is bad and needs to rebuild, then we'll see what kind of coach he really is.

Yt Trash
05-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Go Heat! I'll be at tomorrow home game! I'm surprising my son, who's been bugging me to take him to a playoff game. Nosebleed seats but hey, we'll be there!

http://i.imgur.com/Mspt1.png

Arkady Renko
05-12-2011, 03:26 PM
I suppose you had a good time there?

Joebob034
05-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Go Heat! I'll be at tomorrow home game! I'm surprising my son, who's been bugging me to take him to a playoff game. Nosebleed seats but hey, we'll be there!

http://i.imgur.com/Mspt1.png

did they finally sell out a game this year :razz:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Pay no attention, he only showed up after his team started winning in the playoffs ;)

Arkady Renko
05-12-2011, 10:25 PM
and let's not forget they still need to beat either the Hawks or the Buls before they can even try to win the damn thing.

Yt Trash
05-12-2011, 10:43 PM
I suppose you had a good time there?

Had a great time, but I'll be honest the way they were playing, I didn't think they would win.

Pay no attention, he only showed up after his team started winning in the playoffs ;)

Don't make me bust out my pic of me wearing the Shaq jersey from 3-4 years ago. Heat fan loyal and true!

deebakes
05-13-2011, 01:35 AM
5 games ain't enough for fucking bynum...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2011, 02:31 AM
No doubt....should be half the season, minimum

deebakes
05-13-2011, 02:33 AM
and then the bs apology afterwards. he clearly intended to hurt the dude, watch the replay. not going for anything but a fucking cheapshot. get the fucker out...

Arkady Renko
05-13-2011, 01:25 PM
5 games ain't enough for fucking bynum...

and then the bs apology afterwards. he clearly intended to hurt the dude, watch the replay. not going for anything but a fucking cheapshot. get the fucker out...

5 months would seem more appropriate.

Had a great time, but I'll be honest the way they were playing, I didn't think they would win.

Don't make me bust out my pic of me wearing the Shaq jersey from 3-4 years ago. Heat fan loyal and true!

pah, if you don't have an old Roni Seikaly Jersey left over, your street cred is zilch.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2011, 01:49 PM
pah, if you don't have an old Roni Seikaly Jersey left over, your street cred is zilch.

:thumbsup:

deebakes
05-14-2011, 01:30 AM
i had a baby jordan jersey way back in the day :lol:

(that's harold miner for those that don't know :lol: )

Yt Trash
05-14-2011, 01:05 PM

Seikaly was at the game. Crowd went crazy when they pointed him out.

AntZ
05-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Jerry West joins Warriors front office

May 21, 2011, 2:35 AM ET

Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. -- One of the most respected executives in the NBA is joining one of its most challenged franchises.

The Golden State Warriors hired Jerry West on Friday to work with the front-office team in an advisory role and be a member of the executive board. West will assist the basketball operations staff and the business arm of the team, reporting directly to new owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber.

"His accomplishments in this business as both a player and executive are almost beyond comprehension and certainly well-documented," Lacob said. "He's simply a winner and, quite honestly, you can never have too many of those in your organization."

The Hall of Famer was a 14-time All-Star with the Los Angeles Lakers and the inspiration for the NBA's logo. He also spent 18 seasons as the Lakers' general manager and five years in Memphis' front office, rebuilding both franchises from the foundation.

West will be part of a new staff charged with leading the Warriors back to the playoffs after making the postseason only once since 1994. Golden State is also searching for a new coach after Keith Smart's contract was not renewed.

West's responsibilities also will include sponsorship and marketing endeavors. He will still live in his Los Angeles-area residence but will travel to the Bay Area frequently.

"I'm really pleased that we were able to add someone the caliber of Jerry West to our organization," Guber said. "He has earned great respect in all circles, including the entire entertainment field, and his business savvy will serve us well and prove invaluable. Overall, his career has been nothing short of remarkable and his name alone has become synonymous with winning and success."

The addition of West is the latest move in Golden State's front-office shake-up.

The new owners, who bought the franchise for a record $450 million from longtime owner Chris Cohan early last season, hired agent Bob Myers in April to be the assistant general manager and GM in waiting. They kept general manager Larry Riley but decided not to retain Smart.

Golden State is looking for a new coach. Former Cleveland coach Mike Brown, Lakers assistant Brian Shaw, Celtics assistant Lawrence Frank and Dallas assistant Dwane Casey are among the top candidates.

West will be only an adviser on decisions and won't play the role of general manager, where he has previously flourished. While he was at the helm in the front office, the Lakers won four titles and the Grizzlies made their only three playoff appearances until this season.

West was voted NBA executive of the year in 1995 and 2004. The Warriors were planning to formally introduce West at the team's headquarters Tuesday.

West said in a statement that joining Golden State was appealing because it gives him the opportunity to remain a part of the game and contribute to an organization in a variety of roles.

"I'm excited about this opportunity and, quite frankly, humbled that the new ownership group with the Warriors inquired about my interest in joining the organization in this capacity," West said. "I've had the good fortune to work for two wonderful owners, Dr. Jerry Buss and Michael Heisley, as an executive and I know that you must have a commitment at the top to succeed.

"I sense that is certainly the case with the Warriors or I would not have made this decision."

Arkady Renko
05-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Anyone watch game 1 of the Mavs-Thunder series? I only saw the highlight reel, but dayum, what were the thunder staff thinking, sending Nowitzki to the free throw line 24 times? I guess they confused him with Shaq, but that's understandable seeing how similar they look...

i had a baby jordan jersey way back in the day :lol:

(that's harold miner for those that don't know :lol: )

How do you get to wear a Heat jersey in Ohio?

Seikaly was at the game. Crowd went crazy when they pointed him out.

Nice little trip down memory lane!

Jerry West joins Warriors front office

May 21, 2011, 2:35 AM ET

Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. -- One of the most respected executives in the NBA is joining one of its most challenged franchises.

The Golden State Warriors hired Jerry West on Friday to work with the front-office team in an advisory role and be a member of the executive board. West will assist the basketball operations staff and the business arm of the team, reporting directly to new owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber.

"His accomplishments in this business as both a player and executive are almost beyond comprehension and certainly well-documented," Lacob said. "He's simply a winner and, quite honestly, you can never have too many of those in your organization."

The Hall of Famer was a 14-time All-Star with the Los Angeles Lakers and the inspiration for the NBA's logo. He also spent 18 seasons as the Lakers' general manager and five years in Memphis' front office, rebuilding both franchises from the foundation.

West will be part of a new staff charged with leading the Warriors back to the playoffs after making the postseason only once since 1994. Golden State is also searching for a new coach after Keith Smart's contract was not renewed.

West's responsibilities also will include sponsorship and marketing endeavors. He will still live in his Los Angeles-area residence but will travel to the Bay Area frequently.

"I'm really pleased that we were able to add someone the caliber of Jerry West to our organization," Guber said. "He has earned great respect in all circles, including the entire entertainment field, and his business savvy will serve us well and prove invaluable. Overall, his career has been nothing short of remarkable and his name alone has become synonymous with winning and success."

The addition of West is the latest move in Golden State's front-office shake-up.

The new owners, who bought the franchise for a record $450 million from longtime owner Chris Cohan early last season, hired agent Bob Myers in April to be the assistant general manager and GM in waiting. They kept general manager Larry Riley but decided not to retain Smart.

Golden State is looking for a new coach. Former Cleveland coach Mike Brown, Lakers assistant Brian Shaw, Celtics assistant Lawrence Frank and Dallas assistant Dwane Casey are among the top candidates.

West will be only an adviser on decisions and won't play the role of general manager, where he has previously flourished. While he was at the helm in the front office, the Lakers won four titles and the Grizzlies made their only three playoff appearances until this season.

West was voted NBA executive of the year in 1995 and 2004. The Warriors were planning to formally introduce West at the team's headquarters Tuesday.

West said in a statement that joining Golden State was appealing because it gives him the opportunity to remain a part of the game and contribute to an organization in a variety of roles.

"I'm excited about this opportunity and, quite frankly, humbled that the new ownership group with the Warriors inquired about my interest in joining the organization in this capacity," West said. "I've had the good fortune to work for two wonderful owners, Dr. Jerry Buss and Michael Heisley, as an executive and I know that you must have a commitment at the top to succeed.

"I sense that is certainly the case with the Warriors or I would not have made this decision."

he's probably the best candidate for the prospective turnover of that place, I'm curious how he'll fare there.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-23-2011, 12:55 PM
If West can't turn the Warriors around, then nobody can

Joebob034
05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
of all the teams left, I'm pullin for Dallas

Teh One Who Knocks
05-23-2011, 03:45 PM
OKC baby :cheerlead:

Arkady Renko
05-23-2011, 04:08 PM
If West can't turn the Warriors around, then nobody can

probably correct. it's amazing how they fail to make anything major out of their excellent potential. The franchise seems like a sleeping giant to me.

of all the teams left, I'm pullin for Dallas

me too. OKC are a little too full of themselves for my liking, and they're incredibly naive in many situations. I never caredmuch for the Bulls as a franchise, particularly since Scottie pippen left there, and Miami...oh boy. The Mavs are a bit fickle as far as dedication and attitude are concerned but I'd really love to see Dirk and Jason Kidd win a title before they retire.

Joebob034
05-23-2011, 04:18 PM
me too. OKC are a little too full of themselves for my liking, and they're incredibly naive in many situations. I never caredmuch for the Bulls as a franchise, particularly since Scottie pippen left there, and Miami...oh boy. The Mavs are a bit fickle as far as dedication and attitude are concerned but I'd really love to see Dirk and Jason Kidd win a title before they retire.

yeah I like Dirk and Nash when he was there, although I'll take either of the other two teams as long as Miami doesn't win it. I'm even in the extremely unpleasant situation of rooting for the Bulls at the moment :puke:.

Arkady Renko
05-23-2011, 04:54 PM
trading away Stve Nash was one of the dumbest moves in league history, I like to believe that he and Dirk together would have won a ring or two by now...but it's not nearly as dumb a trade as swapping Dirk for Robert "tractor" Traylor (may he rest in peace) on draft day...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm even in the extremely unpleasant situation of rooting for the Bulls at the moment :puke:.

I think almost every one is in that situation...rooting for the Heat to win would be like rooting for the Yankees in baseball.

Ptownstompin
05-24-2011, 10:06 AM
screw the mavs and screw the heat.... that is all

Arkady Renko
05-24-2011, 10:10 AM
It's obviously irrational but I resent teams that were created in a test tube.

As for the conference finals, it seems OKC are toast. I doubt the Mavs will make the mistake they made in game 2 again and not take them seriously after a big win.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I think OKC is done....I suppose I will have to root for Dallas now

Arkady Renko
05-24-2011, 11:14 AM
We haf vays off makink you root!

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
:shock:

:outtahere:

deebakes
05-25-2011, 03:47 AM
mavs-heat final...

heat in 6 :(

Arkady Renko
05-25-2011, 10:17 AM
mavs-heat final...

Heat in 7 is more likely, after the mavs go up 3-0. That'd hurt even more than 2006...but then again other than Dirk and Wade there's nobody of consequence left on both teams who played the finals back then. So history won't matter much. The Mavericks' best bet is that the Heat won't take them seriously at the beginning. Who would have home court advantage again?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 11:14 AM
mavs-heat final...

The only thing that could have been worse would be a Lakers v Heat finals :wha:

deebakes
05-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Heat in 7 is more likely, after the mavs go up 3-0. That'd hurt even more than 2006...but then again other than Dirk and Wade there's nobody of consequence left on both teams who played the finals back then. So history won't matter much. The Mavericks' best bet is that the Heat won't take them seriously at the beginning. Who would have home court advantage again?

heat :(

Joebob034
05-25-2011, 11:36 PM
mavs-heat final...

:slap:

RBP
05-26-2011, 12:02 AM
It's not over yet :x

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 12:08 AM
It's not over yet :x

:snapout:

deebakes
05-26-2011, 12:39 AM
:slap:

oops, i guess i mean pistons in 6...

:mrgreen:

deebakes
05-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Mike Brown is the new lakers coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6587752

Whoopsie! So long playoffs :lol:

Joebob034
05-26-2011, 03:27 AM
oops, i guess i mean pistons in 6...

:mrgreen:
6 years maybe

Mike Brown is the new lakers coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6587752

Whoopsie! So long playoffs :lol:
first he lucks out by getting a job with lebron now he lucks out by getting a job with the lakers

deebakes
05-26-2011, 03:37 AM
okc well in progress of choking like dogs again...

deebakes
05-26-2011, 03:46 AM
Dallas wins 100-96, takes series 4-1 and is heading to the finals...

Arkady Renko
05-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Another solid game from Dirk and I was very pleased with Marion's performance, second time in the series he did really well, a nice reminder of what he used to deliver for the Suns back in the day. The comeback towards the end was impressive, too. Not as epic as game 4 but a good show of the Maverick's determination.

heat :(

that's not too bad, they underestimate the mavs in game 1 and home court advantage is gone.

Yt Trash
05-26-2011, 11:17 AM
GO HEAT!

Arkady Renko
05-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Go home!

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 12:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9A7yT.jpg

Arkady Renko
05-26-2011, 12:55 PM
If you look at the horse in the logo, it's no wonder Dirk is their franchise player, same hair, same long face.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 01:00 PM
first he lucks out by getting a job with lebron now he lucks out by getting a job with the lakers

He's a lousy coach and he won't do anything with the Lakers. The Lakers are getting old and they are on their way down, not up. Sure, they will do well in the regular season and make the playoffs, but they aren't gonna be a real threat to win the title anymore unless they add some new talent.

Arkady Renko
05-26-2011, 01:36 PM
If they find someone dumb enough to trade decent players for Odom and Bynum, that'd change their situation a lot, plus someone needs to find the hidden accelerator for Gasol, he seemed half asleep during much of the season. But I strongly doubt Brown is the man who can motivate that gang of idle divas to work hard again.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah, it's a really bizarre hire by the Lakers

Arkady Renko
05-26-2011, 03:29 PM
maybe the GM was high when he signed the contract.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Please let the Bulls win tonite :|

RBP
05-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Please let the Bulls win tonite :|

Agreed! :|

Ptownstompin
05-27-2011, 12:20 AM
I knew I shoulda bet on the Mavs and the Heat while I was in Vegas.... I bet on OKC and Chicago instead and cursed them :|

Teh One Who Knocks
05-27-2011, 12:21 AM
So it's your fault :x

Ptownstompin
05-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Eh, lets blame Westbrook and... well I really don't know who to blame on the Bulls, but with OKC it's definitely on Westbrook. that team is young as hell though and will be in the playoffs for years

Teh One Who Knocks
05-27-2011, 12:27 AM
I just hate the Heat so much...if they win it's pretty obvious this whole thing was rigged :wha:

Ptownstompin
05-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Oh it's definitely rigged, the team that plays in the paint the most should be getting the most fouls, but that's not the case :|

Teh One Who Knocks
05-27-2011, 12:50 AM
David Stern wants to make sure Lebron wins a championship :rolleyes:

RBP
05-27-2011, 03:31 AM
:| poop

allsmiles
05-27-2011, 03:36 AM
Go Mavs!

Why are you pooping in this thread RBP?

Yt Trash
05-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Haters gonna Hate! GO HEAT!!!!

Teh One Who Knocks
05-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Yes, no reason at all that we should hate a team where the players openly colluded to all sign in the same place because they are all useless separately....yet if a team owner had done the same thing, it would have been against league rules :roll:

Joebob034
05-27-2011, 06:30 PM
I think the whole country outside of Miami is rooting for the Mavs, myself included

Teh One Who Knocks
05-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Isn't it just funny how the Heat were down late yet again in another game but they somehow magically came back to win? :roll:

The Mavs have no chance when they are playing against the league itself

deebakes
05-30-2011, 03:48 AM
1st of 7 or so championships for the heat :roll:

Arkady Renko
05-30-2011, 12:51 PM
1st of 7 or so championships for the heat :roll:

maybe next year, but I think this one they'll need to book as a learning experience.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-30-2011, 12:58 PM
maybe next year, but I think this one they'll need to book as a learning experience.

David Stern wants his precious boy BronBron to win the championship, so it's gonna happen this year unfortunately

Arkady Renko
05-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Maybe, maybe not. It'll be interesting to see how that kid will do defending Dirk.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Trust me, I in no way want to see him or the Heat win the championship, I just think that's what the league has ordained to happen. The NBA is easily the most corrupt of the 4 major US sports leagues unfortunately.

Arkady Renko
05-30-2011, 02:50 PM
I know about all the brouhaha about fishy ref calls and whatnot, but I'm sure all the NBA cares about ultimately is making as much money as possible. If they help the most unpopular team win the title, that's not a good business decision.

deebakes
05-30-2011, 07:02 PM
i unfortunately agree...

and i am convinced the "lottery" is fixed as well...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Yup, they've been fixing the lottery forever

deebakes
05-30-2011, 07:16 PM
fucking t-wolves will never ever get the #1 pick... :axe:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Not unless they make some deal with David Stern

deebakes
05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
we don't have enough fans for that :(

Joebob034
05-31-2011, 03:33 PM
David Stern wants to make sure Lebron wins a championship :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSLWjx3Mvt8

sonfabitch it doesn't embed

Arkady Renko
05-31-2011, 03:37 PM
fucking t-wolves will never ever get the #1 pick... :axe:

they did get Kevin Garnett back in 95, didn't help much either.

deebakes
06-01-2011, 01:19 AM
not with the #1 though ark...

deebakes
06-01-2011, 03:46 AM
The Miami Heat win game 1 of the NBA Finals, 92-84.

allsmiles
06-01-2011, 04:06 AM

I has a sad...

deebakes
06-01-2011, 04:37 AM
i has a cheer you up ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Wow! There's a shocker! I never expected that :shock:

:|

Arkady Renko
06-01-2011, 11:41 AM
not with the #1 though ark...

I know, i know, he was 5th pick or so, but you get the idea, the Timberwolves could probably win the lttery three times straight and still stink as long as their management doesn't improve. Look at the bucks, I think they had about six top five picks over the last twenty seasons, including two or three times that they won the lottery. Nonetheless they only made the playoffs twice in all that time. The aforementioned Nowitzki-Traylor trade was only one out of many good picks they wasted.

the annoying bit is that Dallas could well have won if the likes of Terry and Stojakovic had seized their opportunities. James' foul on Terry was disgusting though, shows his lack of class.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2011, 12:33 PM
And I see Dirk hurt his finger last night. Sounds like it's semi-serious....so I'm thinking that will give the league the reason to have the Heat win the series in 4.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2011, 09:11 PM
:link: Shaq announces retirement on web (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=6615886)

deebakes
06-01-2011, 11:28 PM
The above two stories make me sad :(

deebakes
06-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I know, i know, he was 5th pick or so, but you get the idea, the Timberwolves could probably win the lttery three times straight and still stink as long as their management doesn't improve. Look at the bucks, I think they had about six top five picks over the last twenty seasons, including two or three times that they won the lottery. Nonetheless they only made the playoffs twice in all that time. The aforementioned Nowitzki-Traylor trade was only one out of many good picks they wasted.

I agree 100%, drafting a guy out of spain that refuses to come to your team prior to the draft doesn't seem to make much sense to me, even though I'm incompetent...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2011, 11:30 PM
It will be sad to see Shaq go, but it will be the best for him. He had such an injury plagued year for the Celt's this past season.

deebakes
06-01-2011, 11:31 PM
yeah, i know. just the end of an era i remember from his college days, so it makes me feel old :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2011, 11:34 PM

deebakes
06-01-2011, 11:36 PM
i had a dog that i got and named shaq during the weekend after i saw him in his rookie season crush the T-wolves at my first NBA game with courtside seats :tup:

Joebob034
06-02-2011, 01:27 AM
he should've retired 2-3 years ago

deebakes
06-02-2011, 02:06 AM
that's also true :(

:rip: diesel :(

deebakes
06-02-2011, 04:16 AM
Holy crap... Rubio may actually be a timberwolf after all :shock:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-timberwolves-rubio&active_dimension=carousel_top_top_headlines&ysp_frm_woah=1

deebakes
06-02-2011, 04:18 AM
And look at the greatness he brings to the court :lol:

"Rubio averaged a modest 6.5 points per game on 39 percent shooting. But the Timberwolves think he will flourish in the more wide-open NBA, where guards are allowed much more freedom on the perimeter."

Teh One Who Knocks
06-02-2011, 10:51 AM
that's also true :(

:rip: diesel :(

He's not dead :slap:

deebakes
06-03-2011, 03:44 AM
his career is :(

deebakes
06-03-2011, 03:46 AM
Dallas wins game 2, 95-93, tying the Finals at a game a piece :shock:

allsmiles
06-03-2011, 03:47 AM
Good Ol' Dirk. What a comeback!

deebakes
06-03-2011, 03:49 AM
Pretty damn crazy :shock:

Joebob034
06-03-2011, 03:53 AM
i turned it off when it was 89-81 then i turned it back a minute later and it was 90-88. I was like 'what the hell happened?'

RBP
06-03-2011, 03:54 AM
Great finish!!

deebakes
06-03-2011, 03:55 AM
Heat really blew it down the stretch, terrible shot selection. Mavs took advantage of it...

Cactus
06-03-2011, 04:03 AM
That was fun to watch!!

Arkady Renko
06-03-2011, 10:52 AM
And I see Dirk hurt his finger last night. Sounds like it's semi-serious....so I'm thinking that will give the league the reason to have the Heat win the series in 4.

5 at the worst now...it seems he did struggle with his shooting quite a bit until he worked it out. The last layup with the left hand was the icing on the cake. :cheerlead::cheerlead:

The above two stories make me sad :(

50% better now? :wave:

It will be sad to see Shaq go, but it will be the best for him. He had such an injury plagued year for the Celt's this past season.

It's probably for the best indeed,but I think he deserves credit for trying instead of just calling it quits.

yeah, i know. just the end of an era i remember from his college days, so it makes me feel old :lol:

Yeah, me too. I never followed college basketball, but when he was drafted by the Magic that made waves here, too. think of all the hilarious crazy shit he pulled, what with his rap albums and movie appearances, a bus full of kids and his rows with Kobe only to name a few...:lol:

he should've retired 2-3 years ago

Nah, he needed those three extra season to make sure nobody could ever break his record of carreer fre throw misses. [-(

And look at the greatness he brings to the court :lol:

"Rubio averaged a modest 6.5 points per game on 39 percent shooting. But the Timberwolves think he will flourish in the more wide-open NBA, where guards are allowed much more freedom on the perimeter."

He did play limited minutes most of the season with an injured foot though, but you're probably right. If he isn't a dominating player in europe by now, it's not likely that he'll be anything special in the NBA. Look at Dirk, for instance, he was the best player in the german league at 18 already and never stopped learning.

Dallas wins game 2, 95-93, tying the Finals at a game a piece :shock:

Epic! I totally love how those arrogant windbags started celebrating seven minutes from the buzzer and got shut up without even going into OT. With three home games ahead I am mildly optimistic the Mavericks can go 3-2 ahead and win another road game at the end. :nana:

http://mediadb.kicker.de/news/1000/1020/36000/slideshow/753420/image_slshow_einzel_0_28.jpg

http://mediadb.kicker.de/news/1000/1020/36000/slideshow/753420/image_slshow_einzel_0_29.jpg

http://mediadb.kicker.de/news/1000/1020/36000/slideshow/753420/image_slshow_einzel_0_30.jpg

Good Ol' Dirk. What a comeback!

Yet another one!

Teh One Who Knocks
06-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Didn't watch it, but good to hear Dallas won :tup:

Even tho I don't have high hopes, I'm still pulling for them :thumbsup:

Yt Trash
06-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Got to admit, that was embarrassing! Egos got the best of them.

deebakes
06-06-2011, 02:48 AM
miami takes game 3, 88-86 to go up 2-1 in the Finals against the mavs...

allsmiles
06-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I'm kinda pissed about that half court buzzer shot Miami made. It was an amazing shot, but back court should have been called and the 3 points shouldn't have counted. The announcers agree. Mavs would have won on that one technicality.

deebakes
06-06-2011, 04:24 AM
i only watched the last 3 minutes :oops: when did this shot happen smiles? :-k

allsmiles
06-06-2011, 04:39 AM
End of the first quarter.

deebakes
06-06-2011, 04:44 AM
it's easy to look at one bad call and say that was the difference, but realistically, the mavs had 3 quarters to make up for at least that bad call. i really thought they were going to win this one again coming from behind...

allsmiles
06-06-2011, 04:58 AM
Oh yeah, they had plenty of things they could blame the loss on, all of the turnovers, shot after shot that went up but not in, etc.; but I can't help but focus on this one bad call, and I'm sure there are many other Mav's fans who feel the same way. Had back court been called like it should have been, then those three points wouldn't have counted. Then the score would have been 86-85 Mavs.

Arkady Renko
06-06-2011, 11:53 AM
ah, crap, I agree on the call you mention, it wasn't correct, but Dee is also right, that early in the game it didn't make that much of a difference. In my opinion, the main problem is that nobody except for Dirk delivers classy games on a steady base. Jason kidd will usually dish out ten assists and score ten points, which is good but not outstanding, and pretty much everyone else on the Mavs roster has a good gane every other night at best. If they could at least make it two out of three, or maybe even three ot of four...then the Mavericks would have the edge on the Heat, but with most of the team only working 50% of the games, where is that supposed to end up? I wish it were different, but I'm afraid the Mavericks won't be the first team in league history to lose game three after splitting the first two and still take the series.

Joebob034
06-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Kuester fired :dance: a little Bill Laimbeer perhaps?

Yt Trash
06-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Go Heat!

allsmiles
06-08-2011, 04:00 AM
Mavs win! *happy dance*

RBP
06-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Go Mavs! :dance:

allsmiles
06-08-2011, 04:33 AM
Dirk was playing with 102 fever and still played an awesome game.

Arkady Renko
06-08-2011, 02:14 PM
LeWhine at his best:

http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-223133-galleryV9-jxes.jpg

Joebob034
06-08-2011, 07:52 PM
a solid 8 pts for him

Arkady Renko
06-08-2011, 09:37 PM
which is obviously a great performance seeing how he limited Dirk to ten points...in the 4th alone.

deebakes
06-10-2011, 03:36 AM
1:30 left in game 5, pretty sure the Mavs are taking this one down too, lebron can't make a shot :lol:

allsmiles
06-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Mavs win 112 - 103. *happy dance*

deebakes
06-10-2011, 04:04 AM
*streaks*

needs to learn to wipe better :oops:

Arkady Renko
06-10-2011, 12:37 PM
1:30 left in game 5, pretty sure the Mavs are taking this one down too, lebron can't make a shot :lol:

He stinks big time in the 4th quarter. Complete opposite of Dirk who often plays okay but not great in the first 36 and then ges to work.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I hate the 2-3-2 format for the finals the NBA uses...always have since they went to this format. They started doing this after the Lakers and Celtics kept meeting in the finals back in the 80's...said they needed to reduce travel to give the teams time to rest :roll:

Arkady Renko
06-10-2011, 02:14 PM
it adds some artificial drama if the teams are strong home teams because it will make it seem as if the top seed goes up first, then dramatically, the tables are turned by the "underdog" to line up a "surprise" comeback by the top seeds...kinda lame usually but when two strong road teams meet it's not much of a problem.

Joebob034
06-10-2011, 03:05 PM
one......more......victory, please make the rest of the country happy Mavs

deebakes
06-10-2011, 10:13 PM
:rip: heat...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2011, 10:20 PM
:rip: heat...

I'll believe it when I see Dallas get the 4th victory, not before :|

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2011, 10:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ZraaW.jpg

:lmao:

deebakes
06-10-2011, 10:27 PM
heat are imploding i think...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2011, 10:28 PM
If you ask LeBron for a dollar, he'll only give you 75 cents. He never gives you the fourth quarter.

deebakes
06-10-2011, 10:29 PM
kind of sad that a triple-double is overshadowed by doing 0 in the end...

RBP
06-10-2011, 10:31 PM
He's no MJ.

deebakes
06-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Nobody but MJ is MJ... :hand:

RBP
06-10-2011, 10:36 PM
that was really deep... right on, man.

deebakes
06-10-2011, 10:37 PM
honestly, i hate it when people say "the next mj"... there will never be another MJ :hand:

and i don't even live in illinois :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2011, 10:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6ogiB.jpg

RBP
06-10-2011, 10:48 PM
He has bird legs. ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2011, 10:49 PM
:rimshot:

allsmiles
06-11-2011, 02:50 AM
http://www.thesportsjury.com/images/stories/chrisboshostrich.jpg

I guess when you play as good as him, it doesn't really matter. I can't help but be a little creeped out though...

deebakes
06-11-2011, 05:19 AM
chris bosh = overrated...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-11-2011, 10:44 PM
:link: Nowitzki says Wade, James ‘childish … ignorant’ (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvkfgyBcdY7t6lQn0.MJ4uC8vLYF?slug=ap-nbafinals-nowitzki-video)

Teh One Who Knocks
06-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I guarantee that whoever wins tomorrow night will win the series. Obviously if Dallas wins it's over 4-2, but if Miami pulls off a win tomorrow night, the league will make sure that they wing game 7.

You heard it here first.

deebakes
06-11-2011, 11:14 PM
And when you're wrong? :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I won't be :|

DemonGeminiX
06-13-2011, 02:53 AM
Dallas won the championship.

deebakes
06-13-2011, 03:20 AM
Heat lost the championship :lol:

RBP
06-13-2011, 03:24 AM
:lol: Yay

RBP
06-13-2011, 03:25 AM
http://www.thesportsjury.com/images/stories/chrisboshostrich.jpg

I guess when you play as good as him, it doesn't really matter. I can't help but be a little creeped out though...

The first pic is an Emu. Just saying. 8-[

deebakes
06-13-2011, 03:51 AM
:shock:

Yt Trash
06-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Congrats to the Mavs!

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I guarantee that whoever wins tomorrow night will win the series. Obviously if Dallas wins it's over 4-2, but if Miami pulls off a win tomorrow night, the league will make sure that they wing game 7.

You heard it here first.

And when you're wrong? :lol:

I won't be :|

Told ya I wouldn't be wrong ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2011, 01:30 PM
LeBron’s failure warms Cleveland’s heart
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

CLEVELAND – From the old wooden bar at Flannery’s Pub you can look out the big front window, across Prospect Street and the East 4th parking lot, and see Quicken Loans Arena, former home office of LeBron Raymone James.

Late Sunday night, a crowd of Clevelanders gathered here to watch their onetime hero turned all-time traitor, and with each disinterested LeBron offensive possession, each failed LeBron chase down of Jason Terry, each embarrassing LeBron crunch-time turnover, the prevailing emotion was simple.

Laughter.

They weren’t hating LeBron here. They were laughing at him.

LeBron started it, of course, laughing at Cleveland nearly a year ago when he took himself to a Boys and Girls Club in Connecticut of all places to announce on national television that he was taking his talents to South Beach. That South Beach has about a million nightclubs and technically no basketball arena said it all.

So on Sunday, Cleveland laughed right back.

All over Flannery’s and places like it across Ohio, they cracked oft-told jokes. (“I asked LeBron for a dollar, he gave me 75 cents back. He doesn’t have a fourth quarter.”) They showed pictures on their cell phones mocking LeBron as a quitter. Bartenders rang bells and shouted things like, “Last call for LeBron.”

They mostly reveled in the beauty of a night right out of their wildest dreams, LeBron coming up small on the biggest of stages, standing around as lesser talents on the Dallas Mavericks blocked his shortcut to a NBA title, winning the game 105-95, the series 4-2.

This was the girlfriend that dumped you getting dumped herself – only live in HD while an entire city toasted her comeuppance.

“He can’t blame the supporting cast,” Cavs fan Keith Clapacs said. “He can’t blame Mike Brown. There’s no excuses. Ball’s in your hand and you didn’t do it. It’s your elimination game, and Jason Kidd is diving on the floor for loose balls? You’re losing the hustle plays, committing turnovers?

“It’s the whole too-cool-to-care thing. He was too cool to care.”

From Miami, LeBron would later send his message to them, to the folks enjoying his failure.

“At the end of the day, all the people that was rooting on me to fail – at the end of the day they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today,” James said. “They have the same personal problems they had today …

“They can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal, but they have to get back to the real world at some point.”

A sentiment to which Ryan Smith, an insulation installer from Mentor, Ohio, with a Jameson on the rocks in front of him, offered this simple response:

“[Expletive] LeBron James.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps there’s no greater example of the life of a Cleveland sports fan than watching a series not involving your team so you can root for someone to lose.

No city has lost like this one, not a single major professional sports championship since 1964, when the Browns won a pre-Super Bowl NFL title. You’d have to be in your mid-50s to remember it. Cleveland’s modern sports memories are defined in short terms, as if elaborating is just too painful: The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot, The Move and, of course, The Decision.

You want collapses? The 1997 World Series is as bad as anything the Cubs or Red Sox ever dealt with. It’s just this city doesn’t have the media poets to chronicle it like Chicago or Boston. You want the true gut punch? Their beloved Browns moved to Baltimore only to finally get their act together and win a Super Bowl.

And then there was this, LeBron James, the local kid from Akron, the one who claimed he understood your heartache, the one you defended for years, the one that was finally going to deliver sporting glory. He bails for some fair-weather sports town and an arena full of white-covered chairs with pretty people who can’t even be bothered to watch the game while it’s going on.

So, yeah, when LeBron James’ dream gets delayed, you bet you’re going to get regional schadenfreude like nothing we’ve ever seen.

Yet LeBron’s take, the same one that too often has been bandied about nationally, doesn’t begin to understand the emotions in Cleveland.

It’s too trite and small to view Cleveland as some bottomed-out, post-industrial postcard to the past. These aren’t all people trapped in awful times or terrible circumstances or living small lives in jealousy of LeBron’s big one.

There’s money here. There is success in Cleveland. There is contentment. As sure as there are poor in Miami, as sure as the VIP area of the Mansion Nightclub isn’t the full reality of South Florida, neither is some boarded-up East Cleveland warehouse the story here.

There are doctors and lawyers and entrepreneurs and financial planners and artists and teachers and dreamers and, yes, insulation installers. (“In the column can you mention the company, Pure Seal Inc.?”)

There are happy families and neighborhoods and the American Dream in full view. There are plenty of people who don’t have any personal problems who are quite content to keep their talents in Cleveland, a place they love just the way it is.

“We get a bad rep,” said Pawel Wencel, who happily moved back from Washington, D.C., and watched the game at Flannery’s. “It’s not New York. It’s not L.A. And we don’t want it to be.”

Why New York or L.A. can never seem to get that is anyone’s guess.

The distaste for James didn’t come solely from the desperate and the depressed, and to suggest as much is to miss the entire point, to insult the entire region all over again.

The “bitter” storyline has been told so many times that fans here are as sick of it as they are LeBron. There’s been an overcorrection of late, a trend to say they are over LeBron, that they are better than to bother with him.

That’s not honest either, though. This mattered. No one should have to apologize for it.

It’s not just how LeBron left but how he operated when he was still here. He talked such a big game. He promised to end the title drought. He gave them all those endless playoff runs, all those spring nights of entertainment. He was good to them. Then he wasn’t, bailing before the proper Hollywood ending.

And for what? To stand around and watch J.J. Barea drive the lane?

Nothing angers fans like getting stood up by someone who had promised the moon. When college football coach Lane Kiffin bolted Tennessee for USC, there was a movement to name a local sewer treatment plant after him.

It’s human nature.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With LeBron, a championship felt inevitable.

That was the destination. What was also lost was the journey.

The Cavs drew people together, city and suburb, white and black, rich and poor. They also connected family and friends. They gave reason to send a text message to someone you had drifted away from. They provided a reason to share an experience with your parents or your children or both. They offered an excuse to catch a game with a high school buddy.

And it gave all those ex-Clevelanders who had to chase their professional and personal dreams elsewhere feel that pull to these old neighborhoods, those old sunsets over the lake, those old memories of days and people back home.

At its best, that’s what professional sports can do for a place. It makes a city come together in the shared pursuit of something simple and tangible, even if, in the end, it’s not all that important. It just feels that way in the moment.

And that’s what many here feel James stole when he left. In one swift Decision, it was gone.

Downtown was marked by desolate streets, empty parking garages and half-filled bars on Sunday. The place should’ve been popping. That game in Miami should’ve been that game right here at the Q. Those fans screaming in Florida should’ve been right here in Ohio.

LeBron left, and that’s what he took with him to South Beach. And maybe that’s too much of a burden to put on guy who simply chose to take a job in another town, but that’s what comes with all the millions, with all the commercials, with all the chutzpah of calling yourself “King.”

So watching his little plan blow up, watching him have to answer for the same failures he produced across the street, watching him find out that maybe it’s him, not them, yeah, that’s a good night here.

It just is.

LeBron James had the right to leave. And Cleveland has the right to laugh.

AntZ
06-13-2011, 01:39 PM
I would wish Dallas well if it were not for their degenerate scumbag piece of shit owner! Mark Cuban can drop dead!

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2011, 04:49 PM
A quote from Lebron after the loss:

“All the people that was rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today,” James said. “They have the same personal problems they had today. I’m going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that.

“They can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal. But they have to get back to the real world at some point.”

Yup, he sure sounds like a superstar to me :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Df2NL.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
06-13-2011, 06:04 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20110612/capt.2a019a9254724cfb92dc81dda2ef9b42-2a019a9254724cfb92dc81dda2ef9b42-0.jpg

Joebob034
06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Thank you Mavs!

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2011, 06:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hx7uG.png

Godfather
06-13-2011, 06:38 PM
:rofl:

LeBron just cares about Lebron inc. eh... brutal

Yt Trash
06-13-2011, 11:15 PM
The Miami Herald today.

http://i.imgur.com/ys66k.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2011, 11:25 PM
:facepalm:

Godfather
06-13-2011, 11:39 PM
I love pictures of kids in India and Africa wearing shirts that says shit like "Pittsburgh Steelers - Super Bowl XLV Champions" and shit :lol:

deebakes
06-14-2011, 02:48 AM
it's gotta go someplace right?

Arkady Renko
06-14-2011, 10:01 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ZraaW.jpg

:lmao:

I'd like to see him try ten more times in vain.

heat are imploding i think...

It seems that Wade, Bosh and James had to play too many minutes so they weren't fresh anymore towards the end and couldn't counter the Mavs' resolve in the last quarter. Maybe the bench just wasn't good enough and it would have been wiser to have five or six above average players to bear the main load instead of coupling three All stars with filler. :-k

If you ask LeBron for a dollar, he'll only give you 75 cents. He never gives you the fourth quarter.

bwahaha!

honestly, i hate it when people say "the next mj"... there will never be another MJ :hand:

and i don't even live in illinois :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/6ogiB.jpg

Dirk isn't the next Larry Bird either, even though they've got things in common. But Bird was a much better passer and his trash talk was second to nobody's. Dirk is more versatile in the offense, has manners and actually got better over 30 while Bird began to fade at 30.

http://i.imgur.com/Df2NL.jpg

Hiarious!

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20110612/capt.2a019a9254724cfb92dc81dda2ef9b42-2a019a9254724cfb92dc81dda2ef9b42-0.jpg

Man, he looks so old in that picture! :shock:

http://i.imgur.com/hx7uG.png

Add in Jason kidd as Gandalf and Jason Terry as Sam ? JJ Barea sure would make a nice hobbit, too. Tyson chandler as Aragorn and Caron Butler as faramir?

Arkady Renko
06-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Soooo...opinions, please: Do you think the Mavs are spent now that they've finally won something or can they put up a serious challenge for the title next season?

I think dirk isn't done yet, he didn't go through all the hard training sessions to lean back and take it easy now, But I guess Kidd may be tempted to call it quits now that he's reached the peak of his carreer. Jason terry might get too big a head now particularly after his excellent performance in game 6. On the other hand, a healthy Caron Butler might give a considerable push and maybe Carlisle and Cuban can pull off a few smart rades for the bench that would serve as a transfusion for the team. I'll be curious to see how it pans out. My favourite move would be for steve Nash to move back to dallas...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Hard to say....the problem with a Mavs repeat (if there's basketball next season) is that they are in the west and it's uber competitive on that side of the league. I think they will still have a good team with the potential to go deep in the playoffs, but whether they can repeat is another question.

Arkady Renko
06-14-2011, 11:59 AM
oh, right, the lockout, good point...if there is a one year break I'd say that would mean a completely new deal for a lot of teams. The celtics will need to restructure after the 11/12 season at the latest and the Lakers will certainly want to shake things up soon, too. OKC and Portland may well improve a great deal over the next one or two years without trading, so we may see an incredibly tense western conference indeed.

Joebob034
06-14-2011, 04:39 PM
The Mavs might be a little too old to repeat. The Heat may have floundered but all those guys are in their prime right now

Arkady Renko
06-14-2011, 04:48 PM
the big 3 are, yes, but much of the rest of the team is way over 30. They may well have to find replacements for most of their filler players and that will be quite a puzzle to work out.

deebakes
06-14-2011, 11:04 PM
heat will likely be back full force in the fall...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Why? Is Lebron gonna go see the Wizard and get some heart? :-k

deebakes
06-14-2011, 11:25 PM
nah, but my my guess is that more people will "take their talents to south beach" and not care about the money, only the title...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2011, 11:58 PM
There won't be any cap room for them after the new CBA gets put into place

deebakes
06-15-2011, 12:43 AM
only if people want to be paid ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
06-15-2011, 12:55 AM
So you think that NBA players will play for free? :-k

deebakes
06-15-2011, 01:16 AM
bargain basement :tup: