PDA

View Full Version : Spending like woah

RBP
12-13-2011, 06:03 AM
I haven't been in the habit of spending a lot at Christmas time, but I find myself being quite generous this year! I even bought myself a few gifts.

So what is everyone thinking... hard times so be tight? Spend away? What are your plans?

Also, name a charity you would encourage people to donate time or money to. Please remember the less fortunate and do something for the greater good. :)

I am going to name http://www.giveanhour.org. They have a national list of mental health service providers that donate their time for returning veterans who need services. As I understand the program, they just ask that those who receive services give an hour back to their community.

I gave to a veterans group on veterans day and I am giving to giveanhour for the holidays.

RBP
12-13-2011, 06:16 AM
I think this is a fantastic idea. Network for Good offers "good cards" That allow for prepaid donations to over 1.2 Million charities.

What a great idea!!!

Give charity to someone close to you!

http://www1.networkforgood.org/good-card

Teh One Who Knocks
12-13-2011, 01:09 PM
I haven't bought anyone anything at all yet :)

My X-Mas list is short....I will get something for my dad, get flowers for my mom, and probably get something for my boss's two daughters since my boss and his wife are very good to me and I consider his daughters more like nieces than just a couple of random kids.

And that will be the extent of my shopping. But with just those 4 items, I will not be cheap when it comes to the price of the gifts.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-13-2011, 01:12 PM
As for charities, locally, I always donate to the Denver Rescue Mission (http://www.denverrescuemission.org/)...I'm not religious, but the Rescue Mission does more for the homeless in Denver than anyone else.

Nationally, I try to donate to the Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org/) as well because they are always out in the forefront of any disaster/emergency in the US.

And I also try and donate to a lesser known charity or two every year that benefits the US Military families in some way and this year I am donating to Bugles Across America (http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org/) and Luke's Wings (http://www.lukeswings.org/), two very worthy causes that don't get enough publicity.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I wouldnt donate to the red cross after I looked into their practices. They collected a ton of money for Haiti, but only allowed a small portion to be used and kept the rest "for a future emergency". When it happens I'm sure they will be collecting for that one as well :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
I wouldnt donate to the red cross after I looked into their practices. They collected a ton of money for Haiti, but only allowed a small portion to be used and kept the rest "for a future emergency". When it happens I'm sure they will be collecting for that one as well :roll:

Looks like they have allocated more than 60% of the funds so far to me:

http://www.redcross.org/haiti

http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Documents/pdf/international/Haiti/HaitiEarthquake_18MonthReport.pdf

I don't fault the Red Cross for being slow in spending the money, Haiti is so corrupt that billions of dollars donated there thru other charities has just disappeared. Plus the Red Cross is out there whether they have the funds to do it or not and then hope to make up the deficit they are running in future donations.

There is nothing shady about the way the American Red Cross runs. Now the International Red Cross is a totally different story....

Muddy
12-13-2011, 02:40 PM
The 'Salvation Army' does a lot of good in these disasters.. They are at them all...

PorkChopSandwiches
12-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Looks like they have allocated more than 60% of the funds so far to me

That may be there "claim" but I dont know how true it is.

As the Haitian people brace themselves for the hurricane and rainy season with no shelter and no supplies for millions, the United States, France, Canada and other nations are attending the United Nations Donors Conference on Wednesday, March 31. At the conference, these wealthy nations will “donate” funds to over 3,000 non-governmental organizations, most of them headquartered in their own countries. They are in effect paying themselves.

The American Red Cross has already admitted to financing its own debt with donations given for Haiti relief. According to its official report on the first two months since the devastating Jan. 12 earthquake, they collected over $354 million for Haiti but have spent only $106 million. Yet only half of the 1.3 million people made homeless by the quake have even a tarp as the rainy season begins.

Demanding an independent accounting, the Friday Haiti Relief Coalition protested at the American Red Cross headquarters in New York City on March 22. They’ll repeat that demand on Wednesday, March 31, at the United Nations in Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, 47th Street and First Avenue, during the Haiti Donors Conference at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Another key demand is that Haitians must determine for themselves how they want to rebuild their nation.

In Haiti, recent rain presages the heavy tropical downpours of the coming rainy season and the hurricanes that may follow. In addition to the nearly 300,000 who died in the earthquake or from their wounds, thousands more could die this spring from exposure and water-borne disease. Time is of essence. Shelter is needed now.

Where is all the money going? That was the burning question asked by the crowd that converged on the doorstep of the American Red Cross on March 22 led by the Friday Haiti Relief Coalition. The coalition was organized by the December 12th Movement days after the earthquake and has raised funds and delivered a tractor trailer full of water to Leogane, Haiti. A second trip is being planned now.

With young people in the lead, the December 12th Movement’s Friday Haiti Relief Coalition turned out in force – in the rain – March 22 on the doorstep of American Red Cross headquarters in New York City to demand that all the money donated for Haiti be spent in Haiti now – especially for shelter from the rain. Extraordinary teachers in the movement encouraging students to stand up and speak out for Haiti is people’s education in action!

“We have been on the ground and we know the people are in need of shelter. The money collected by the Red Cross for Haiti is not getting there. We are tired of the excuses. That’s our blood down there and our money. We demand immediate shelter for our people,” said coalition member April Raiford.

Red Cross personnel nervously scampered back and forth as the protesters chanted, “Stop stealing the money! Where’s the money!”

Omowale Clay of the December 12th Movement said: “We will keep organizing and mobilizing our people until the Haitian people get shelter and supplies. The American Red Cross has not been held accountable for the hundreds of millions they have collected in the name of Haiti and we won’t let them off the hook. They did the same thing during Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. The money donated to Haiti is for the people in Haiti, not the Red Cross CEO and executive bureaucrats. Haiti needs shelter now!”

http://sfbayview.com/2010/red-cross-under-fire-wheres-the-money-for-haiti/

Teh One Who Knocks
12-13-2011, 02:47 PM
That story is close to 2 years old :-s

The Red Cross update I posted is from June of this year

Teh One Who Knocks
12-13-2011, 02:47 PM
The 'Salvation Army' does a lot of good in these disasters.. They are at them all...

I always stick a dollar or two in the Salvation Army bucket at the grocery store

Loser
12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I donate cash period. I used to volunteer time to the local VA's but where I live now, there isn't one.

Muddy
12-13-2011, 03:23 PM
I always stick a dollar or two in the Salvation Army bucket at the grocery store

They have trucks and send volunteers out to all these major disasters and hand out food and clothing and assist in the rescue efforts..

Teh One Who Knocks
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
They have trucks and send volunteers out to all these major disasters and hand out food and clothing and assist in the rescue efforts..

Yeah, I like the Salvation Army :)

The major charity I refuse to donate to is the United Way...they keep nearly 50% of all donations to pay salaries of the officers. The CEO of the United Way is very well paid :|

Muddy
12-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I like the Salvation Army :)

Salvation Army was the org. my wifes mom volunteered under when she went to WTC..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-13-2011, 03:32 PM
I donate to the Goodwill a few times a month, I dont like giving cash, but I dont mind giving items.

Muddy
12-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I donate to the Goodwill a few times a month, I dont like giving cash, but I dont mind giving items.

I probably gave them $5,000 worth of stuff when My mom died and I had to clear out her house.. I went in the retail store the next day and saw all kinds of happy people with her stuff in their carts.. :lol:

Goofy
12-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Everyone should donate to this charity - www.givegoofallyourmoney.scam :tup:

The only folk i buy for at christmas is my mum and day plus my one living grandmother. This year i've got mum and dad a WDHDMP, the newest 'live' version :thumbsup: I just give my mum money to shop for my gran :lol:

As far as charities go........ in the past i've donated to http://www.mssociety.org.uk/near-me/national-offices/scotland (my dad has MS) and http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ atm though money is pretty tight........ charity begins at home :)

Hal-9000
12-13-2011, 08:03 PM
I make little and give heavy every Christmas for gifts.It relieves my guilt for being such a prick all year long to those I love :lol:

I've given to a handful of charities for years, details are unimportant.Children's Cottage is a big one for me..

Noilly Pratt
12-13-2011, 08:40 PM
My brothers and I haven't spoken for over a year, so no gifts on my side of the family...only 1 for my wife's family (we draw names) and a few for my wife and daughter.

As for charities, my main one is Doctors Without Borders - they're usually first on-scene at any global emergency, and my own MD volunteered for them for a year. I give to the Red Cross and Salvation Army (used to work for the Sally Ann and installed computer systems for cost price) and I also give to my local food bank - just went to a Blues benefit concert and all proceeds went there. $15 to get in and 2 cans of food.

I am sooo grateful for the life I have and where I have it...and I think it's important to show that example to my daughter.

JoeyB
12-13-2011, 09:29 PM

The American Red Cross also has a secret history of racism...I won't go into the specifics but suffice it to say my father told me some things about how his grandfather (who was native American) was refused any help when he needed blood. FUCK THEM.

They seem to be a pretty good organization.

JoeyB
12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
https://www.ifaw.org/us/secure/gg/help_build_100_doghouses

If any generous soul with some extra cash is looking for a charitable action that will benefit a cold dog, check out the above. If you do, PM me and let me know~!

Godfather
12-14-2011, 02:12 AM
This is the first Christmas I've ever been a working schmuck, so it's nice to be able to get half decent presents for my parents, little brother and of course girlfriend. Dad's getting a BB Playbook, that's as far as I've gotten in my shopping :lol:

As for Charity, you can drop off new, unwrapped toys at the supermarket, our family always does that.

deebakes
12-14-2011, 02:19 AM
i've found that i need to wrangle in the spending my wife has done this year... seems that she likes my new salary :roll:

Godfather
12-14-2011, 03:57 AM
"Good luck paying me back with your zero dollar salary plus benefits... BABE"

:rofl:

deebakes
12-14-2011, 04:33 AM
she pays back in other ways ;)

Godfather
12-14-2011, 05:17 AM
:lol: That's good... just reminded me of a quote from a tv show

JoeyB
12-14-2011, 06:48 AM

So why are you always wanking?

Muddy
12-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Deep knee hip thrust bends?

deebakes
12-15-2011, 03:56 AM
So why are you always wanking?

she needs more sleep than i do :lol:

deebakes
12-15-2011, 03:57 AM
Deep knee hip thrust bends?

;)

Southern Belle
12-15-2011, 04:05 AM
I give to local charities that are run completely by volunteers. So many of the large charities are managed by CEOs who collect huge salaries. Most charities for vets are run by volunteers.
Other than that, my family gives gifts to the children. Some years, some give to everybody some years not. This year, I'm just giving to the kids.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Just a pretty cool follow up to one of the charities that I donated to this year.

I saw the charity Luke's Wings on Fox News Sunday last weekend. What they do is fly families to military hospitals so that they can be together with their family while the soldier is receiving treatment. Then this year they wanted to expand what they did and start flying soldiers (that were able to get leave) home for the holidays so that they could spend Christmas together.

Well, their usual annual budget is only $200,000 and it all comes from donations, so they are severely limited to how many families they can help, and unfortunately it's on a first come first serve basis. Well, they did a follow up at the end of Fox News Sunday today on Luke's Wings. Just this past week since the little blurb aired last Sunday they have received more than $600,000 in donations, more than 3 times what they usually take in this year. So a lot of military families will get to spend Christmas together this year. Made me feel good to know I was a part of it. :)

deebakes
12-18-2011, 09:07 PM
:clap:

RBP
12-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Just a pretty cool follow up to one of the charities that I donated to this year.

I saw the charity Luke's Wings on Fox News Sunday last weekend. What they do is fly families to military hospitals so that they can be together with their family while the soldier is receiving treatment. Then this year they wanted to expand what they did and start flying soldiers (that were able to get leave) home for the holidays so that they could spend Christmas together.

Well, their usual annual budget is only $200,000 and it all comes from donations, so they are severely limited to how many families they can help, and unfortunately it's on a first come first serve basis. Well, they did a follow up at the end of Fox News Sunday today on Luke's Wings. Just this past week since the little blurb aired last Sunday they have received more than $600,000 in donations, more than 3 times what they usually take in this year. So a lot of military families will get to spend Christmas together this year. Made me feel good to know I was a part of it. :)

Outstanding!! :woot: