PDA

View Full Version : Architects Say Sorry In 9/11 Design Row

Teh One Who Knocks
12-13-2011, 03:07 PM
By Sky News

http://i.imgur.com/32Qph.jpg
The design has provoked an outcry by some families of 9/11 victims

The architects behind two skyscrapers criticised by 9/11 families for resembling the World Trade Centre exploding during the attacks have apologised.

The twin towers in the South Korean capital Seoul are set to be connected half-way up by a cloud-shaped section which houses facilities like lounges, restaurants and a swimming pool.

But relatives of the victims of the 2001 terror attack say it resembles the clouds of debris that billowed from the twin towers after they were hit by hijacked planes.

The Dutch architectural company MVRDV said it was not its intention to create an image that evoked the atrocity in New York.

It said it "sincerely" apologised to anyone whose feelings it has hurt and "regrets deeply" any painful connotations.

http://i.imgur.com/KInTu.jpg
Critics say the cloud section resembles the 9/11 atrocity

But Jim Riches, a retired deputy fire chief whose son was killed on 9/11, said he did not believe the architects.

The New York Daily News quoted him as saying: "It looks just like the towers imploding. I think they're trying to sensationalise it. It's a cheap way to get publicity."

The skyscrapers will be built at the entrance to Seoul's redeveloped Yongsan business district by 2016.

It is not known whether MVRDV will change the design - but a South Korean developer said it would not be altered.

"Allegations that it (the design) was inspired by the 9/11 attacks are groundless," said White Paik, a spokesman for the Yongsan Development Corporation.

"There will be no revision or change in our project," he said, adding that construction would begin in January 2013 as scheduled.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Looks cool, it may be offensive it it was constructed at ground zero, but not in Korea :roll:

Arkady Renko
12-13-2011, 03:56 PM
if memory serves the twin towers weren't hit at the same time and there probably weren't any trees or flower beds in the debris cloud either.

Muddy
12-13-2011, 04:01 PM
I can see why someone involved with 9/11 would be disturbed... But really if they say that isnt the case, and its not being built in NY... What ya' gonna do?

redred
12-13-2011, 04:14 PM
it looks a good design i like ,but wouldn't want to play football in those roof gardens

JoeyB
12-13-2011, 09:35 PM
I think the 9/11 people are overreacting here. I know, you aren't supposed to question them on this shit, but, yeah, there it is...

DemonGeminiX
12-13-2011, 09:40 PM
It looks like an abstract lego building.

MrsM
12-13-2011, 09:41 PM
It also looks like a cloud between the buildings - I think it looks cool

Muddy
12-13-2011, 09:50 PM
I wonder what their inspiration was?

Hal-9000
12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't buy their story at all.Of course it looks like the towers as they dropped.Why else would you put abstract, uneven sections at that point in the structure.
From above, very cool.Looking up at it, it's a reproduction of 9/11

FBD
12-14-2011, 12:03 PM
agree w Hal. they're dutch ffs :dance: