PDA

View Full Version : Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes

Teh One Who Knocks
12-14-2011, 02:25 PM
WTNH-TV Channel 8
Churches are crying conspiracy

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) — Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the three wise men are being crowded out by atheists.

Most of the Christmas nativity scenes that churches had placed in a Santa Monica coastal park for decades have been displaced by non-religious displays — and the churches are crying conspiracy.

The Santa Monica Nativity Scenes Committee, a coalition of 13 churches, and the Santa Monica Police Officers Association, has traditionally claimed 14 of the 21 display spaces, which are vandal-proof, cage-like areas surrounded by chain-link fencing.

The coalition displays have featured life-size depictions of the story of the birth of Jesus Christ.

But atheists got all but three of the spaces this year because of a new lottery system. The coalition got two spots to display Jesus, Mary and the wise men. The third went to Isaac Levitansky of Chabad Channukah Menorah.

Adding to the loss, the atheists have used only three of the display areas to promote their message.

One reads: "Religions are all alike — founded upon fables and mythologies. — Thomas Jefferson."

"Happy Solstice," reads another.

And a display with photographs depicting King Neptune, Jesus Christ, Santa Claus and Satan reads, "Million Americans know MYTHS when they see them. What myths do you see? American Atheists. Since 1963. athiests.org."

"Our belief is that these new applicants have been working together to displace and push out the nativity scenes from the park, rather than erecting a full display of their own," said Hunter Jameson, a spokesman for a coalition of the city's churches.

The Santa Monica Daily Press reported that churches had little or no competition for the spaces during the past 57 years. This year, 13 people bid for spaces, prompting City Hall to use a random lottery system to allot the spots.

Two individuals got 18 spaces. One person can request a maximum of nine.

Damon Vix is behind the effort to allocate the spaces by lottery.

Last year, he put up a sign with the Thomas Jefferson quote and selections on U.S. Supreme Court decisions about the importance of separating church and state.

Vix now helps other atheists acquire the park spaces, including American Atheists Inc. and the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Secularists feel a need to be more vocal and express their civil rights, he said.

"For 60 years, it's almost exclusively been the point of view of Christians putting up nativity scenes for a whole city block," Vix said.

Jameson pushed the city to give local preference in awarding the spaces. Vix doesn't live in Santa Monica.

City Attorney Marsha Moutrie wrote, however, that the Christmas displays cross the boundary into First Amendment free speech rights, which know no geographical boundaries.

"Everyone has equal rights to use the streets and parks for expressive activities, irrespective of residency," Moutrie wrote.

Muddy
12-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Fuggin Porky... :(

Teh One Who Knocks
12-14-2011, 02:43 PM
People that do this should be crucified in the park....then they will really have a reason to hate Christmas decorations

Acid Trip
12-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Say what they will about religion, but do they really have to spoil Santa Claus for every kid that walks by?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Say what they will about religion, but do they really have to spoil Santa Claus for every kid that walks by?

Exactly...as I have mentioned multiple times, I am not religious in the least but it sickens me that these Attention Whores have to go out of their way to ruin Christmas, especially for kids. In all my years of being alive, know how many times I have been offended or felt 'repressed' by a manger scene or an angel in a Christmas display?

I'll give you 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

Acid Trip
12-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Exactly...as I have mentioned multiple times, I am not religious in the least but it sickens me that these Attention Whores have to go out of their way to ruin Christmas, especially for kids. In all my years of being alive, know how many times I have been offended or felt 'repressed' by a manger scene or an angel in a Christmas display?

I actually feel bad for atheists. In death they believe that everything ends and the book is closed. What a miserable existence.

I believe that in death my life begins again with my family, my friends, and my God. Something to look forward to after living it up (literally) here on Earth.

Muddy
12-14-2011, 04:12 PM
I bet its the hipsters.....

PorkChopSandwiches
12-14-2011, 05:43 PM
:dance:

Bringing truth to life one day at a time

JoeyB
12-14-2011, 09:41 PM
I actually feel bad for atheists. In death they believe that everything ends and the book is closed. What a miserable existence.

I believe that in death my life begins again with my family, my friends, and my God. Something to look forward to after living it up (literally) here on Earth.

I feel bad for them too, similar reasons. And yet, they spend their time on Earth, the only time they feel they have, doing spiteful things like this. If you truly believe you are living all you will ever have, why not make something of it?

What bothers me here is...why mess with another person's holiday? I don't go around shitting on Hanukkah, Ramadan, or Diwali, even though they are all practiced by faiths other than my own. Christmas is important to Christians, so mocking it the way they do is openly offensive.

You don't have to believe in everything, but you should respect what other people choose to believe in.

The atheist message, I don't agree with it by any means, but I respect their right to feel that way.

These hates campaigns? Those I have no respect for.

Hal-9000
12-15-2011, 12:01 AM

Well said (by an atheist) and thanks.The Nativity is associated with Christmas, whether you believe or not, people shouldn't get so militant that they insult and degrade.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Well said (by an atheist) and thanks.The Nativity is associated with Christmas, whether you believe or not, people shouldn't get so militant that they insult and degrade.

You're welcome...and notice I could express my feelings on it without being condescending like others in this thread :)

Teh One Who Knocks
12-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Saw this under the comments on a similar story...this comment followed someone calling these people anti-theists instead of atheists:

They would be if they attacked all religions equally. These are, in fact, Anti-Christians. You don't see the mocking other religions, but anytime a Christian is involved, out comes the flames and mocking "Sky Fairy" rhetoric. They are impolite rude assholes with little better to do than attempt to make themselves feel better and\or smarter than their fellow man by shitting on that persons belief system and spirituality. They can't get over the simple fact that since before this country was even founded, God played a role in American Society a major role, and because of that it's become part of our heritage and tradition, so, like an angry two year old, they throw tantrums, kicking and screaming about how it's not fair that this has happened to them.

You don't have to agree with it, you don't have to believe it, but likewise, injecting yourself into everyone's fun in such a rude manner is just pathetically immature. No wonder many people think that Atheists have lost the ability to be "good" - the loud mouths are ruining the reputation of all.

Sums it up perfectly IMHO