PDA

View Full Version : High school students suspended for 'Tebowing'

Teh One Who Knocks
12-16-2011, 11:58 AM
By STEVEN MARCUS - Newsday

http://i.imgur.com/H7Vyb.jpg

Two Riverhead High School football players were suspended for a day because the school said they created a potentially dangerous situation by leading other students in a re-enactment of NFL quarterback Tim Tebow's kneeling in prayer.

School officials said an estimated 40 students had gathered in the hallway this week to make the gesture, which is called "Tebowing" and is named after the Denver Broncos player.

Tebow has received national attention this season because of his strong religious beliefs and fourth-quarter comebacks. Tebow, who is Christian, has turned around the Broncos' season with a 7-1 record as the starting quarterback.

His popularity has led to the "Tebowing" fad, where people kneel like Tebow in random places and then post the photos on the Internet.

Superintendent Nancy Carney said the suspensions had nothing to do with the religious nature of the gesture.

"It causes a potentially unsafe situation with 1,500 people in the building," Principal David Wicks said Thursday. "If you have 40 kids kneeling down in the middle of a hallway, and God forbid a fire alarm goes off, they could potentially stop someone from getting to safety."

Wicks said the gathering included athletes and members of the general student population.

School officials refused to name the suspended students, but Ken Carroll identified his 17-year-old twin sons, football players Connor and Tyler, as being suspended.

"I understand their position on safety," Ken Carroll said of the administration. "My only position is my sons telling me they weren't told to stop. When . . . called, I told him I would speak to my sons and it would never happen again. They were only two of . . . [40] who did it, and they are the only ones being suspended. It doesn't seem fair that they are being singled out."

Carney said the two students who organized the event earlier this week "had been warned not to do it anymore.

"There were two students who were insubordinate," Carney said. "That's why those kids were suspended. I understand kids are kids and all of those things; the key piece here is that they want to maintain order at all times in our schools and hallways. It becomes disruptive when you have that many kids down the hallways."

Connor Carroll, who will serve his suspension Friday, said the idea for the event was planned by "me and my group of friends. . . . We don't think there should have been a penalty, but if there is a penalty, it should have been everybody involved."

Senior soccer player Jordan Fulcoly, who said he participated in the activity, described it as "a bunch of kids trying to have fun. Tim Tebow is the most famous athlete in the country right now. But in [the administration's] defense, they said it made some students late for class and there was the potential for fights."

Therese Fulcoly, Jordan's mother, said, "I thought it was funny until the principal called and explained why he had a problem with it. They are in charge of safety and we expect them to take care of our kids. They run a tight ship and they really need to keep order."

Football coach Leif Shay agreed with the administration's action, saying, "I think they handled it appropriately. It obviously was not appropriate."

FBD
12-16-2011, 12:18 PM
So in other words some dumbass teacher with a fragile ego felt the need to assert their authority over yet another non-issue, the students rightly say wtf is the problem, administration disciplines them and whips some stupid ass safety reason as an excuse? Get that bullshit out of here. The majority of teachers are so fucking stupid its disgusting.

OMG if 40 people are kneeling it is a safety hazard!

And you assholes "teach" the kids....what exactly? How to abuse one's position of authority? :rolleyes:

MrsM
12-16-2011, 03:00 PM
:facepalm: if schools are getting this stupid - what chance do our kids have

RBP
12-16-2011, 03:47 PM
dumb

Joebob034
12-16-2011, 04:21 PM
God will strike down that school

Teh One Who Knocks
12-16-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm trying to figure out exactly how this is a fire hazard :-k

Does the principal think that if the fire alarm goes off while these kids are 'Tebowing' that they will just stay there in the hallway? :-s

RBP
12-16-2011, 04:30 PM
God will strike down that school

:lol:

RBP
12-16-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm trying to figure out exactly how this is a fire hazard :-k

Does the principal think that if the fire alarm goes off while these kids are 'Tebowing' that they will just stay there in the hallway? :-s

Until the prayer is over. :nono:

JoeyB
12-16-2011, 10:25 PM
I just think 'tebowing' is lame.

RBP
12-17-2011, 01:21 AM
It made urban dictionary :|

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tebowing

RBP
12-17-2011, 01:22 AM
and another thing..

is it tea-bo-ing or tea-bow-ing.

Hal-9000
12-17-2011, 01:34 AM
and planking is ok?

My Lord, talk about looking for a problem when one doesn't exist.

RBP
12-17-2011, 01:38 AM
My Lord...

You rang? :-s

Hal-9000
12-17-2011, 01:42 AM
You rang? :-s

:hand: Worshiping false prophets may bring dire consequences upon me, sorry.

RBP
12-17-2011, 01:44 AM
:hand: Worshiping false prophets may bring dire consequences upon me, sorry.

Christopher Hitchens died

Hal-9000
12-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Don't make me google, I just got in from work/picking up my car from the garage :lol: It's been a long week

Hal-9000
12-17-2011, 01:46 AM
weird...first google hit contains this line - " Christopher Hitchens in a Hyatt hotel room in downtown Calgary..."

:shock:

Griffin
12-17-2011, 01:46 AM
When the new patient was settled comfortably on the couch, the psychiatrist began his therapy session, "I'm not aware of your problem," the doctor said. "So perhaps, you should start at the very beginning."

"Of course." replied the patient. "In the beginning, I created the Heavens and the Earth..."

RBP
12-17-2011, 01:47 AM
http://bit.ly/s8WL56

Hal-9000
12-17-2011, 01:56 AM
http://bit.ly/s8WL56

6:46pm, post 17 :x

JoeyB
12-17-2011, 05:31 AM
and another thing..

is it tea-bo-ing or tea-bow-ing.

I believe it is tea-bag-ing.

RBP
12-17-2011, 05:35 AM
I believe it is tea-bag-ing.

Hal gets cranky

JoeyB
12-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Hal gets cranky

:-k:-k

RBP
12-17-2011, 06:03 AM
:-k:-k

when he's tea-bagged... and in general

JoeyB
12-17-2011, 06:13 AM
when he's tea-bagged... and in general

But it begs the question, why would generals teabag him?

RBP
12-17-2011, 06:15 AM
But it begs the question, why would generals teabag him?

a form of corporal punishment? :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2011, 11:39 AM
It made urban dictionary :|

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tebowing

:tebow:

deebakes
12-17-2011, 08:32 PM
:tebow: ? :-k

shouldn't it be :tebowing: ?

JoeyB
12-17-2011, 11:35 PM