PDA

View Full Version : HS b-ball player dies after scoring winning basket

Joebob034
03-05-2011, 11:43 PM
FENNVILLE, Mich. (WZZM)- Fennville High School coaches and student-athletes had tears in their eyes and lumps in their throats Friday. The shock of Wes Leonard's death was still sinking in.

"It shouldn't have been like this," said senior teammate Adam Siegel, holding back tears. "Wes shouldn't have gone like this. Wes was a real good friend, and too young."

Leonard scored the winning basket Thursday night in overtime against Bridgman to cap an undefeated season. A brief celebration followed but as the team assembled for a team photo, Leonard collapsed.

"Thirty seconds earlier he was laying in the winning bucket," said head coach Ryan Klingler. "Then seconds later it was like having everything pulled out from under you. Just out of nowhere."

Leonard was the point guard on Fennville's first-ever 20-0 basketball team. He also was the starting quarterback for the Blackhawks' varsity football team. Only a junior, he was thought to have a promising athletic career ahead. His coaches Friday agreed he would have been among the best athletes to come out of Fennville in decades.

The basketball team and the school's administration on Friday had not made a decision whether Fennville will compete in the district playoffs which begin Monday night in Lawrence. Overcoming grief was the first priority. "Wes was a special kid," said Klingler. "The Leonards are a special family to me. So really I don't want to process it."

Godfather
03-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Holy shit that's rough. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for a group of students to lose someone that important to their community, let alone other family and friends

I wonder what exactly happened and if there was a defibrillator on hand?