PDA

View Full Version : Google: Android Activations Top 700,000 a Day

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2011, 05:52 PM
By Ian Paul, PCWorld

http://i.imgur.com/IvdVX.jpg

Every day more than 700,000 people sign up for a new Android device, Google's Android chief, Andy Rubin, said late Tuesday via Twitter and Google+. That works out to nearly 5 million new Android users every week, which is about the equivalent of an iPhone 4S opening weekend every seven days. Rubin also clarified that Google's 700,000 activations per day includes new devices only and not resold ones. "We count each device only once," Rubin said in a follow-up post on Google+. "Activations means you go into a store, buy a device, [and] put it on the network by subscribing to a wireless service."

Rubin's clarification may have been in response to past criticisms lobbed against Android by Apple's late cofounder Steve Jobs. "We think some of our friends are counting upgrades in their numbers," Jobs said, referring to Android in September 2010. Rubin on Tuesday did not specifically address the issue of counting upgrades, but did say that Google counts each device only once.

Earlier in December, Google’s executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, said there were about 550,000 Android phones being activated every day, according to CNET. But it appears Schmidt was specifically taking about phones, while Rubin only mentioned "devices" suggesting he may be counting phones as well as 3G-enabled tablets such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab or the recently launched Droid Xyboard devices.

Rubin in June said there were 500,000 Android activations every day.

Google is the most popular smartphone platform in the United States, with nearly 42 percent market share, followed by Apple's iPhone at 27.1 percent, according to metrics firm comScore.

Muddy
12-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Thats funny... Seeing as Android is found on 100 different phones... Wheres as IOS is ONE..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Why is that funny

Muddy
12-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Because the iphone is the Gold standard Android dreams of becoming.

RBP
12-21-2011, 06:50 PM

:-s

I'd rather have my android.

Muddy
12-21-2011, 06:51 PM

no comment. <--- other than that one.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2011, 06:53 PM

No it isn't...Google couldn't care less about the iPhone. Google makes software, not hardware, and let's the manufacturer decide which OS they want on their phone.

:gimme5:

Muddy
12-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Google couldn't care less about the iPhone.

Did you read this somewhere?

RBP
12-21-2011, 06:56 PM

I did.

Muddy
12-21-2011, 06:57 PM
I did.

Where?

RBP
12-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Post #7!!

:lmao:

Muddy
12-21-2011, 07:01 PM
:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2011, 07:06 PM

Do you see any Google manufactured phones? :-s

Muddy
12-21-2011, 07:31 PM

google is absolutely concerned with Apples market share... Google is there for one reason. To make money... The more phones they put their shitty interface on the more money they make...

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah, shitty interface....that's why Android has approximately one and a half times the size of the market share that crApple does. Whatever you say there bubba ;)

Muddy
12-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah, shitty interface....that's why Android has approximately one and a half times the size of the market share that crApple does. Whatever you say there bubba ;)

1.5 times the market share across 100 different phones.. It'd be funny to see what happened if apple started offering ios on non apple products... ios on a $30 crappy non iphone and Android would be in serious trouble.

redred
12-21-2011, 08:33 PM
1.5 times the market share across 100 different phones.. It'd be funny to see what happened if apple started offering ios on non apple products... ios on a $30 crappy non iphone and Android would be in serious trouble.

but isn't that part of the whole android thing ? with ios your stuck with what apple tell you ,you must have ,the other side of the fence has a choice if you don't like a SE phone get a HTC etc

Muddy
12-21-2011, 08:43 PM
but isn't that part of the whole android thing ? with ios your stuck with what apple tell you ,you must have ,the other side of the fence has a choice if you don't like a SE phone get a HTC etc

Android, while a viable product.. Is nothing more than Google's attempt at getting a piece of the mobile phone market... So that being said I wouldn't say ios or apple has "stuck" anybody with their products... If you buy a phone that has Android pre installed by that same token you are "stuck" with whatever parameters Google has put into the thing.. The difference here in any phone is just the apps you choose...

redred
12-21-2011, 08:55 PM
but then you don't have a choice of what suits you best ,for example you could be music driven so a htc sensation with the dre beats thing would be good or if you wanted a better camera then the SE Xperia for example would be good , with apple it's a black case or a white case

Muddy
12-21-2011, 08:59 PM
but then you don't have a choice of what suits you best ,for example you could be music driven so a htc sensation with the dre beats thing would be good or if you wanted a better camera then the SE Xperia for example would be good , with apple it's a black case or a white case

Oh Im all for choice, dont get me wrong... I was just saying its funny how any measure of success is one that's measured against the iphone..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-21-2011, 09:07 PM

Oh Im all for choice, dont get me wrong... I was just saying its funny how any measure of success is one that's measured against the iphone..

Google just bought Motorola. So they are in the hardware game

Its comparied to iPhone because that's the closest competition

Muddy
12-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Google = Skynet

PorkChopSandwiches
12-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Apple is the company monitoring everywhere your phone goes. And the log the data indefinitely

Muddy
12-21-2011, 09:22 PM
And Google is the company averaging an acquisition a week.. Tell me who's the bigger threat.

Jezter
12-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Android, while a viable product.. Is nothing more than Google's attempt at getting a piece of the mobile phone market... So that being said I wouldn't say ios or apple has "stuck" anybody with their products... If you buy a phone that has Android pre installed by that same token you are "stuck" with whatever parameters Google has put into the thing.. The difference here in any phone is just the apps you choose...

This is bullshit. Android = open. This means you can tweak and play with Android as much as you like and make it exactly how you want it to be for you. Only the hardware of your phone is the limit. So that is why it is good there are so many phones to choose from.

Muddy
12-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Yeah Jezter... Tweak it baby... Lets see you write some code for the stupid phone...

Jezter
12-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah Jezter... Tweak it baby... Lets see you write some code for the stupid phone...

I have tweaked. I have a Custom ROM, Custom theme, Custom Kernel... overclocked and undervolted. ;)

Jezter
12-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Where as Apple makes you buy a new phone, that is just the old one with maybe one new app or feature...even if the specs stay more or the less same. With Android, you can take everything out of your phone's hardware and have the lifetime and usability of the phone grow a lot.

Muddy
12-22-2011, 03:23 AM
I have tweaked. I have a Custom ROM, Custom theme, Custom Kernel... overclocked and undervolted. ;)

I have a job! :lol:

JoeyB
12-22-2011, 06:47 AM

Fuck dude...I still just use a flip phone. Haven't even figured out how to use the camera on it yet. Meanwhile, in Finland, you are apparently jury rigging a tricorder...

Jezter
12-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Fuck dude...I still just use a flip phone. Haven't even figured out how to use the camera on it yet. Meanwhile, in Finland, you are apparently jury rigging a tricorder...

http://estrip.org/content/users/jim/0508/Stunning0521.jpg

Muddy
12-22-2011, 12:06 PM

Acid Trip
12-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Ever heard the saying "if you can build a better mouse trap?" Well Google developed a better mobile OS and let the programmers/phone manufacturers of the world run with it.

Since then the iPhone has done nothing but lose market share to the Android OS. The Android OS has evolved faster (thank you open source development), it's marketplace is growing faster (no Apple iDiots deciding the fate of new apps), and the phones themselves are pushing the envelope in portable technology (processors, memory, cameras, etc).

Winner, Android.

Muddy
12-22-2011, 05:34 PM
You andrioid users are pretty spiteful name calling bunch...

redred
12-22-2011, 05:37 PM
:empathy:

Acid Trip
12-22-2011, 06:00 PM
You andriod users are pretty spiteful name calling bunch...

Spiteful?

That would you call someone who puts the iPhone on a pedestal without ever having owned one? And then goes a step further and bashes a competing product he's also never owned?

I can think of lots of words for people like that.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 06:04 PM
You andrioid users are pretty spiteful name calling bunch...

:potkettle:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-22-2011, 06:06 PM
I would like to see Muddy write some code for his precious iphone

Muddy
12-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Spiteful?

That would you call someone who puts the iPhone on a pedestal without ever having owned one? And then goes a step further and bashes a competing product he's also never owned?

I can think of lots of words for people like that.

My wife has one. It's nice.

:potkettle:

Calling a phone stupid is alot different than calling people isheeple and iDiots..

I would like to see Muddy write some code for his precious iphone

I'd like to see you in a dress...

PorkChopSandwiches
12-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Thats going to be your chistmas gift now....I was just waiting on you to let out what you really wanted.

Acid Trip
12-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Calling a phone stupid is alot different than calling people isheeple and iDiots..

You insinuated that Jezter lacked a job (and is a nerd) because he rooted his Android.

An insult is an insult.

:potkettle: is correct.

Muddy
12-22-2011, 06:41 PM
I insinuated it... You just blatantly said it... Mean dude, that's what you are.

RBP
12-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Oh please... it's Christmas goddamit.. quit the petty bickering :x

Muddy
12-22-2011, 06:46 PM
We're just kidding Rainbow, Simma down now... :lol:

Jezter
12-22-2011, 06:46 PM
I like straightforward and honest people. Funny thing is, usually MG is the one who is not sitting on the fence when it comes to speaking one's mind...

Acid Trip
12-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I insinuated it... You just blatantly said it... Mean dude, that's what you are.

Riiiiight, I'm the bad guy.

You jumped in to a topic you know almost nothing about then insulted the one person who was nice enough to explain how wrong you are. But but but, I'm the bad guy.

*waits for the car full of clowns to show up*

RBP
12-22-2011, 06:58 PM
nobody listens to me :x

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 07:00 PM

:lala:

8-[

RBP
12-22-2011, 07:04 PM
:lala:

8-[

:x

Muddy
12-22-2011, 07:23 PM
I looked at the HTC rezound the other day..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm looking at the new BlackBerry

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm looking at the new BlackBerry

They might be ready in time for next Christmas :tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-22-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm thinking if I order now. It will give them time to cancel my order just before I'm expecting it

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 07:45 PM

Muddy
12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Ya'll leave him alone.... He has suffered a blow to his sense of national pride over this... :lol:

Jezter
12-22-2011, 07:51 PM
MG should get the new Nokia Lumia.

Muddy
12-22-2011, 07:57 PM
I dropped my LG Vx1000 the other day and the screen has gotten all wonky, so somethings gonna happen soon... Blue tooth has been the only real way I can use it at this point.. :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/YOdeF.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
I broke the screen on my last smartphone the first week I got it :lol:

The Galaxy S II uses Gorilla Glass for the touchscreen :banana:

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/

Muddy
12-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Im not sure if I hit the screen or if I just jarred the shit out of it...

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 08:06 PM
I dropped mine no more than 2 feet on to the ground...didn't even land screen down and it still broke the glass. I was pissed.

JoeyB
12-22-2011, 09:09 PM

True, but I read you.

I insinuated it... You just blatantly said it...

And I admired his tricorder assembly skills. And hated him for making me feel like the apes discovering that bones can be tools. Finnish Bastard. Clever, brilliant, evil Finnish bastard. Jez sures gets lot of reactions in this thread.

I like straightforward and honest people.

I want to fuck your mother.