PDA

View Full Version : School Council at Oak Hill asks parents to reconsider 'celebratory' clothing

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
By Ashley Studley - Wicked Local Newton

http://i.imgur.com/Hrnlb.jpg

Newton — In an effort to create a more inclusive environment, the Oak Hill School Council last week asked parents that “your children refrain from wearing clothing to school that identifies a weekend celebration marked with a student name.”

Eva Thompson, principal of the middle school and council co-chairman, said some kids are feeling left out.

Thompson told the TAB the request is simply a conversation starter.

“What happens is after the weekend at the middle school level, 40 to 50 kids come back wearing the same article of clothing with a student name and the date of the celebration,” she said. “As a result, there are a lot of kids who may not have been a part of that group over the weekend and we’re trying to be as inclusive as possible.”

Thompson emailed parents and posted a letter on the school’s PTO website on Dec. 12, encouraging them to have a conversation with their children and explain why the clothing might hurt the feelings of a student excluded from the particular event.

She said some parents have approached her with stories from their kids.

“Kids have mentioned it at home and their parents tell us that,” she said. “This emerged simply because the staff was aware it happened every Monday, but it was an unspoken thing. The intent is to raise conversation among students.”

Risa Shames, a council member, said she and other members talked to religious leaders, like rabbis, about the clothing last spring.

She said sweatshirts, T-shirts or other articles of clothing are popular favors from bar and bat mitzvahs.

“It’s kind of the new trend for probably the last five to seven years. You know what happens with teenagers - once one kid has something, everybody wants it and it becomes difficult for parents to say no. I think this is nice and it opens up a conversation within synagogues, families and schools,” Shames said.

Thompson said the student council will talk about the matter once kids return from winter vacation. She said community groups – small cohorts of students and adults designed to build student connectedness – will also chat about the issue.

She said parents have given mostly positive feedback.

“A lot of people are supportive of the message. A few people mentioned to me it’s not the real world, and that the real world is full of disappointment. We’re using this is a conversation point with students through the student council, and this was a way to let parents know about the conversation. We’re not trying to remove all of the difficulties in life by doing this,” she said.

Superintendent David Fleishman said it’s not a policy, but a recommendation.

“Our goal is to promote a constructive learning environment… especially at the middle school where kids are really sensitive. We want an inclusive environment, not an exclusive one,” Fleishman said.

He didn’t know of other Newton middle schools making a similar request.

Thompson said nobody will be punished for wearing one of the pieces of clothing or asked to change.

“There would just be continued conversation with students. It’s not something that’ll change overnight, but we’ll raise awareness and have people make decisions,” she said.

perrhaps
12-21-2011, 08:40 PM
These people just have too much fucking time on their hands.

JoeyB
12-21-2011, 08:57 PM

True the school is off kilter but...if you are throwing your kid a party that includes custom celebratory t-shirts...all I'm saying is who is the real douche in this scenario?

perrhaps
12-21-2011, 09:34 PM
True the school is off kilter but...if you are throwing your kid a party that includes custom celebratory t-shirts...all I'm saying is who is the real douche in this scenario?

People who think that this is an "issue" that requires the creation of discussion groups to "raise awareness", that's who.

JoeyB
12-21-2011, 09:45 PM
People who think that this is an "issue" that requires the creation of discussion groups to "raise awareness", that's who.

I'm still going with the parents who instill in their children a sense of self importance so high that the kids will only be disappointed by real life.

Pony
12-21-2011, 10:38 PM
"Goofy's circumcision!"

Pony
12-21-2011, 10:39 PM
"Hal's sex change!"

Hal-9000
12-21-2011, 10:46 PM
I was there for Jenna's deflowering!

12 guys walk in wearing that one :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Exactly...if I was a parent of a kid there, I'd make up t-shirts every week announcing some celebratory event and give them to my kid and his close friends to wear just to purposely exclude the 'left out' kids.

FFS, I guess kids can't even have friends anymore because they may end up excluding somebody and make the feel sad :sad:

Blame this on the culture of 'Everybody's a Winner...you all get ribbons! :cheers:

:roll: