PDA

View Full Version : The Football Thread (Association aka Soccer)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DemonGeminiX
01-28-2011, 05:57 AM
No diving allowed in here.

Jezter
01-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Glad to see the footie thread was opened and up top on the list. 8)
Interestin FA Cup this weekend! Lets hope some big surprises occur there as that brings more excitement to the season. It has been a good season @ EPL anyway, but Cup competitions are interesting aswell.

DemonGeminiX
01-28-2011, 06:23 PM
It was on top of the list because I thought of it last.

[-(

Jezter
02-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Record-breaking move for Torres
Striker Fernando Torres has sealed his record-breaking move to Chelsea from Liverpool.

Torres beat the 11pm cut-off to join the Barclays Premier League champions, who splashed out an incredible £75m on both the Spaniard and Benfica defender David Luiz on the final night of the transfer window. Pictures from the official Chelsea website.

Striker Torres arrived for a reported £50m from Liverpool, smashing the transfer record between British clubs, while Benfica finally allowed defender Luiz to move on in a £25m-plus deal.

After signing a five-and-a-half-year contract at Stamford Bridge, Spain striker Torres told his new club's official website: "I am very happy with my transfer to Chelsea and I am looking forward very much to helping my new team-mates this season and for many years to come.

"Having played against Chelsea many times since coming to England, and in some very big games I will never forget, I know there are many great players here and I will work hard to win a place in the team.

"I hope I can score some important goals for the supporters to enjoy this season."

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said: "This is a very significant day for Chelsea, capturing one of the best players in the world with his peak years ahead of him.

"We have long admired the talents of a player who is a proven goalscorer in English football and Fernando's arrival is a sign of our continuing high ambitions. I hope every Chelsea fan is as excited as I am with this news."

Chief executive Ron Gourlay added: "Signing a player of the stature of Fernando Torres benefits the club on many levels.

"Carlo Ancelotti was keen to add his talents to the squad as we continue our quest for three trophies this season.

"We are delighted we have succeed with that wish, and this signing will undoubtedly aid the club in realising our worldwide potential."

www.chelseafc.com

Goofy
02-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Gary Neville has announced his retirement with immediate effect (just announced on SSN), about time imho, has struggled for fitness the past few years

Goofy
02-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Slapped a treble on Liverpool, Fulham and Man City tonight Jez :)

Goofy
02-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Two words....... Fucking Arsenal :x

spud
02-08-2011, 11:46 AM
fucking chelsea on Sunday aswell.

Goofy
02-08-2011, 11:57 AM
fucking chelsea on Sunday aswell.

Fuckin' Rangers more like....... i did a double on Gers and Liverpool :| If you backed Chelski then i have no sympathy for you :P

spud
02-15-2011, 11:44 AM
fucking stoke at the weekend there had that game for a draw.

Jezter
02-16-2011, 02:35 PM
As did I. The round was very crazy otherwise too. Lots of draws and last second goals both at the top flight and down at the Championship. Kwazy! Just like Gattuso last night...he flipped. :lol:
Some interest in tonight games. I have Arsenal - Barca X2 and Roma - Shahtar 1X. Oughta pay some pennies back.

redred
02-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Gattuso and Joe Jordan fight after Tottenham defated AC Milan at San Siro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXYMybyNIW8

nut job time ,jordan did well not to deck him on the spot

Jezter
02-16-2011, 07:33 PM
I think I can kiss my bet goodbye after first half already. As Roma 1-3 down at home against Shahtar. Now that is weird.

spud
02-16-2011, 08:03 PM
couldnt predict the Shaktar game at all tonight roma have had a few odd scores over the last couple of seasons in europe.

redred
02-17-2011, 07:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdNW-FkP1RQ

Teh One Who Knocks
02-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Sorry for the soccer tag, but I couldn't find a footy one and I didn't wanna nick the one that AS used. If someone finds a footy thread tag, we can swap it out.

St. George
02-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Record-breaking move for Torres
Striker Fernando Torres has sealed his record-breaking move to Chelsea from Liverpool.

Torres beat the 11pm cut-off to join the Barclays Premier League champions, who splashed out an incredible £75m on both the Spaniard and Benfica defender David Luiz on the final night of the transfer window. Pictures from the official Chelsea website.

Striker Torres arrived for a reported £50m from Liverpool, smashing the transfer record between British clubs, while Benfica finally allowed defender Luiz to move on in a £25m-plus deal.

After signing a five-and-a-half-year contract at Stamford Bridge, Spain striker Torres told his new club's official website: "I am very happy with my transfer to Chelsea and I am looking forward very much to helping my new team-mates this season and for many years to come.

"Having played against Chelsea many times since coming to England, and in some very big games I will never forget, I know there are many great players here and I will work hard to win a place in the team.

"I hope I can score some important goals for the supporters to enjoy this season."

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said: "This is a very significant day for Chelsea, capturing one of the best players in the world with his peak years ahead of him.

"We have long admired the talents of a player who is a proven goalscorer in English football and Fernando's arrival is a sign of our continuing high ambitions. I hope every Chelsea fan is as excited as I am with this news."

Chief executive Ron Gourlay added: "Signing a player of the stature of Fernando Torres benefits the club on many levels.

"Carlo Ancelotti was keen to add his talents to the squad as we continue our quest for three trophies this season.

"We are delighted we have succeed with that wish, and this signing will undoubtedly aid the club in realising our worldwide potential."

www.chelseafc.com

I heard that this deal nearly didn't go through at the 11th hour as Torres' wife couldn't agree personal terms with John Terry.

Gary Neville has announced his retirement with immediate effect (just announced on SSN), about time imho, has struggled for fitness the past few years

http://newsthump.com/2011/02/03/gary-neville-insists-retirement-wont-affect-his-ability-to-be-a-prick/

redred
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Giggs signs new Man Utd contract
Veteran Welsh winger Ryan Giggs has signed a one-year contract extension at Manchester United.

It means the 37-year-old will take his time at Old Trafford into a remarkable 21st year, having made his club debut as a substitute on 2 March, 1991.

And having already played 24 times for United this season, Giggs says he still has much to contribute to the team.

"It is great to know I'm contributing to the team's success. I feel I've still got a lot to offer," he said.

"All I've ever wanted to do is play for United and I've been lucky enough to do that for 20 years.

"This is an exciting time to be involved with so many good young players coming through."

Giggs has past 850 appearances for the club and recently played his 600th Premier League game.

"You run out of words to describe Ryan Giggs," said Sir Alex Ferguson. "He is a marvellous player and a wonderful man.

"To have the desire and the ability to play at the top level in such a physically demanding position at his age requires a special person.

"He is still turning in man-of-the-match performances and his experience is so vital for the younger players in the squad."

Giggs' incredible haul of 32 winners' medals includes 11 Premier League and two Champions League titles.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9401933.stm

redred
02-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Uefa gives Gattuso four-match ban
AC Milan's Gennaro Gattuso has been banned for four matches after clashing with Tottenham assistant coach Joe Jordan during a Champions League tie.

Midfielder Gattuso headbutted Jordan following his side's 1-0 defeat in the first leg of their last-16 encounter at the San Siro and has since apologised.

European football's governing body Uefa handed down the punishment after a disciplinary hearing on Monday.

But Milan have said that they will not be appealing against the decision.

The 33-year-old former Rangers star had already been ruled out of the second leg at White Hart Lane on 9 March after picking up a booking in the first match.

The veteran Italian headbutted Jordan as tempers flared at full-time in Milan

"I lost control. There is no excuse for what I did. I take my responsibilities for that," the Milan captain said.

"I was nervous. We were both speaking Scottish, something that I learned when I played in his home city of Glasgow, but I can't tell you what we said.

"I didn't want to argue with players and I did it with him but I was wrong to do what I have done. I will have to await what they decide."

Gattuso and 59-year-old Scot Jordan had already clashed on the touchline during a bad-tempered second half in which Mathieu Flamini escaped with a only booking for a two-footed challenge on Vedran Corluka.

He obviously hadn't done his homework. He could've picked a fight with somebody else
Spurs boss Harry Redknapp on Gattuso
Croatia full-back Corluka left the field on a stretcher and was later seen on the substitutes' bench with crutches and an ice pack on his ankle.

"The tackle from Flamini was a horrendous tackle," Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp commented. "It was a sending off. He was two or three feet off the floor with his two feet raised. It was a leg-breaking tackle."

The Flamini challenge turned the second half into a feisty affair, with Gattuso becoming increasingly aggressive.

The Milan skipper, making his 450th appearance for the Rossoneri, confronted Spurs striker Peter Crouch before collecting a booking that will rule him out of the second leg for a lunge at Steven Pienaar.

At the final whistle, Gattuso removed his shirt and headed straight for Jordan, hurling abuse at the Spurs first-team coach before lashing out with his head.

The Italian was pulled away by team-mates and briefly stopped to embrace Spurs defender William Gallas before following Jordan down the tunnel.

"I don't know why it all got so silly," Redknapp added. "Gattuso had a flare-up with Joe Jordan. I don't know why.

"He obviously hadn't done his homework. He could've picked a fight with somebody else. Putting his head into Joe's face, it was crazy. He lost his head."

Milan boss Massimiliano Allegri said he was disappointed with his captain's conduct but claimed his rage was sparked by a late tackle on him by Pienaar which preceded the touchline clash with Jordan.

"Flamini's tackle was quite a bad one but the foul on Gattuso on his knee was also a bad one," Allegri stated.

"I don't know what happened at the end of the match. It was not nice to see. I think there was a reason but there is no excuse for that."

Describing the scene on air, BBC Radio 5 live's Mark Pougatch said Gattuso had "lost it".

Italian football journalist Gabriele Marcotti added: "Gattuso is an emotional player but after getting angry he calmed down enough to hug and kiss William Gallas and Harry Redknapp.

"You think he is going to calm down then he goes after Joe Jordan. Absolutely incredible."

Redknapp joked that it was not wise to pick a fight with Jordan, who played for AC Milan between 1981 and 1983 after long spells with Leeds and Manchester United.

"There would be only one winner there - Joe," the 63-year-old Spurs boss said. "I'd have my money on Joe. Of all the people to pick on, don't pick on Joe."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/europe/9398824.stm

redred
03-03-2011, 10:51 PM
City's Kolo Toure fails drug test
Manchester City defender Kolo Toure has been suspended after testing positive for a specified substance.

The 29-year-old was informed by the Football Association that an A sample he provided had returned positive.

City confirmed in a statement that Toure had been suspended "pending the outcome of the legal process".

Ivory Coast international Toure, whose brother Yaya also plays for City, is a former club captain who joined City from Arsenal in July 2009.

The defender has gone on to make more than 50 appearances for City, although he was not involved in Wednesday's FA Cup victory over Aston Villa.

The failed test automatically triggered the suspension and it is understood that Toure was left out of the squad because the club had been made aware of the situation.

The City statement added: "There will be no further comment from the football club at this stage."

And on Thursday evening an FA statement said: "The FA can confirm that a player has been provisionally suspended from playing pending investigation, having tested positive for the use of a prohibited substance."

The World Anti-Doping Agency defines a specified substance as one that is "more susceptible to a credible, non-doping explanation".

The Wada punishment for such a positive test ranges from a warning to a two-year ban.

Hamilton Academicals midfielder Simon Mensing recently served a four-week ban after a specified substance was detected in his system.

The 28-year-old tested positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine at the end of January and subsequently missed five matches after a period of ineligibility was imposed on him.

The player maintained he was unaware he had ingested the substance while using a dietary supplement - an explanation which was accepted by UK Anti-Doping.

Toure was the skipper of City until the start of the current campaign, when the armband was passed to Carlos Tevez.

The Ivorian defender was brought to the Premier League by Arsenal in 2002 and he remained with the London club until his £14m transfer to City.

Toure, who is under contract with City until the summer of 2013, was one of several high-profile arrivals in the summer of 2009 as then-manager Mark Hughes spent more than £100m on new players.

City are currently pursuing trophies on three fronts. They will play Reading in the quarter-final of the FA Cup, are set to take on Dynamo Kiev in the Europa League and lie third in the Premier League, 10 points behind leaders Manchester United.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/9413738.stm

RBP
04-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Hey, so I hear Manchester United may be playing the Chicago Fire at Chicago's Soldier Field this summer. I've never been to a footy match.

(it is called a match right?) 8-[

Teh One Who Knocks
04-02-2011, 02:25 PM
http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2011/03/man-u-barca-join-world-football-challenge

Nice :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Kroenke mounts full takeover bid for Arsenal
Channel 9 News Denver

LONDON (AP) - American businessman Stan Kroenke has agreed to a full takeover of Arsenal that values the Premier League club at $1.2 billion and should end the long-running uncertainty about its ownership.

Kroenke agreed to increase his holding from 29.9 percent to 62.89 percent by acquiring shares from fellow directors Danny Fiszman and Nina Bracewell-Smith, Arsenal Holdings said Monday in a statement to London's Plus Market.

After taking his stake over the 30 percent threshold, Kroenke needs to make a mandatory cash offer for the remaining shares in Arsenal.

"We are excited about the opportunity to increase our involvement with and commitment to Arsenal," Kroenke said in a statement. "Arsenal is a fantastic club with a special history and tradition and a wonderful manager in Arsene Wenger. We intend to build on this rich heritage and take the club to new success."

Four other Premier League clubs are owned by Americans - Malcolm Glazer at Manchester United, John Henry at Liverpool, Randy Lerner at Aston Villa and Ellis Short at Sunderland - while Chelsea, Manchester City, Fulham, Blackburn and Birmingham are also owned by foreigners.

Kroenke has pledged to "support and adhere to the self-sustaining business model" at Arsenal, which has a tradition of being well-run, avoiding big transfer fees and relying on talent developed through its youth teams.

"The offer will not be funded by way of any debt finance (banks loans, payment in kind loans or other debt or quasi-debt interest bearing obligations) for which the payment of interest on, repayment of or security for any liability (contingent or otherwise) will depend on the business of Arsenal," the statement said.

Kroenke has been steadily increasing his holding in Arsenal since first buying a 9.99 percent stake in April 2007.

"I have worked with Stan Kroenke at board meetings over the past couple of years and I believe he has the best interests of Arsenal at heart," Wenger said. "He understands the club's heritage and traditions and our ambition to run the club in a way which protects our long-term future."

Wenger's team is seven points behind Manchester United in the Premier League title race with seven matches remaining, including one in hand over the leaders.

Kroenke also owns the Denver Nuggets in the NBA, the Colorado Avalanche in the NHL and the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer.

He was invited onto the board of directors, unlike Alisher Usmanov, a Russian who owns more than 27 percent of the club through investment vehicle Red and White Holdings.

Little is known about the 63-year-old Kroenke's plans for Arsenal. Known as "Silent Stan," he has previously declined to speak at the club's annual general meeting.

"He's a strong, silent type, and I think that's not necessarily the worst thing when it comes to sports team owners," MLS commissioner Don Garber, who has talked to Kroenke about his plans for Arsenal, has told The Associated Press. "He's very loyal. He's a very quiet and a strategic thinker. He doesn't make rash decisions."

But Kroenke will come under pressure from fans to invest in a team that has not won a major title since the 2005 FA Cup and last captured the Premier League crown in 2004.

Leefro
06-08-2011, 02:22 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/21j3yo8.jpg

Leefro
06-08-2011, 02:23 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2z4dd88.jpg

Leefro
06-08-2011, 02:26 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2z4bszd.jpg

redred
06-08-2011, 03:18 PM
nice pics lee

Leefro
06-17-2011, 11:42 PM
http://www.twitvid.com/GZMGU

Leefro
06-17-2011, 11:44 PM
http://www.twitvid.com/D6ZT1

redred
07-07-2011, 02:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re9-CNIhSFc

not bad for a girl :lol:

DemonGeminiX
07-11-2011, 02:18 PM
The USA Women's team beat the Brazillians yesterday.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks for that in depth analysis :tup:

:nana:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-11-2011, 02:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XI2G8.jpg

Joebob034
07-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't watch soccer cuz I hate it but that was a crazy ending

Leefro
07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
If anyone of you yanks interested or can get there give it a go ;)

Albion to travel to the States for pre-season tour

Roy Hodgson will take his first team squad on a tour of North America to prepare for next season’s Barclay’s Premier League.

Albion will be stateside for 12 days in total and play MLS opposition San Jose Earthquakes and Portland Timbers.

The Baggies will be based near Santa Barbara for nine days with the ground set to shake when they play the Earthquakes at the Buck Shaw Stadium on Tuesday 12th July (KO 7.30pm).

They will then travel to Portland, Oregan, for three days before facing the Timbers at the JELD-WEN on Wednesday 20th July (KO 8pm).

Andy Marriott, Assistant Sporting and Technical Director, says the two fixtures will provide a good test for Roy Hodgson’s men.

“The two teams we will be facing are good MLS sides who will be in the middle of their season when we play them,” he said.

“They promise to be competitive games against teams who play a British style of football, which will be a good way to kick off our pre-season fixtures.

“The weather over there in July will also offer a good climate to train and play in.”

http://www.westbromwichalbion-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/boing_in_the_usa_677177/index.shtml

Leefro
07-12-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2011/07/preview-quakes-host-epls-west-brom?

DemonGeminiX
07-13-2011, 06:11 PM
The USA women's team just beat France 3 - 1 to make it to the World Cup Finals.

:usa:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-13-2011, 06:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XI2G8.jpg

DemonGeminiX
07-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Hope Solo's so freakin' hot.

:tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Hope Solo's so freakin' hot.

:tup:

Hells yeah :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/648AN.jpg

DemonGeminiX
07-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Wow, Japan's kickin' the crap out of Sweden.

:shock:

Joebob034
07-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I noticed this hottie the other game, Alex Morgan

http://dontmissthatshow.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/alex-morgan.jpg

Leefro
07-14-2011, 03:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05VhDBSQ8JQ&feature=player_embedded

DemonGeminiX
07-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Japan defeats the USA in penalty kicks to win the Women's World Cup.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Penalty kicks to decide the world champion....and people wonder why Americans hate soccer :roll:

JoeyB
07-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Penalty kicks to decide the world champion....and people wonder why Americans hate soccer :roll:

Are you off your nut? A penalty shoot out to determine a world cup winner is the most exciting moment in sports. It was epic...sad to see the USA lose, but Japan did sort of need it. Great, great game.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Are you off your nut? A penalty shout out to determine a world cup winner is the most exciting moment in sports. It was epic...sad to see the USA lose, but Japan did sort of need it. Great, great game.

:umno:

It's completely lame....champions should be decided on the field, not by some feat of chance. Might as well just sit down and play a game of Slap Jack to determine the winner :rolleyes:

JoeyB
07-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Actually, the greatest happening in sport is sudden death dodgeball, obviously. Dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge~!!

minz
07-17-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm just curious, what exactly is the attraction with football?

JoeyB
07-17-2011, 11:03 PM

American football? None. Proper footie? It's wonderful~!!

:umno:

It's completely lame....champions should be decided on the field, not by some feat of chance. Might as well just sit down and play a game of Slap Jack to determine the winner :rolleyes:

It was decided on the pitch, how do you not get that?

I wish I had the time to go into this right now Lance, but there is an elegance and splendor to a draw...it's what makes footie so great. And the penalty kickout seen in games that must have a definitive winner is an incredible sight.

But the draw is part of what makes soccer the Beautiful Game.

I understand your point of view, I grew up at a time when soccer was widely derided here in the states and had the same attitude as yours...until I watched it. Now, it's the only sport I can watch regularly, because all others pale in the extreme beside it.

There is a wonder to the game that comes to you after a time, something special about it. How every goal can shift the style of play, the aforementioned draws, the balletic magnificence of well play football...no other sport can touch that.

And for the record, some of the best matches I have ever seen, ones that had me shouting and barely able to contain myself, and that left me feeling really great long after the game ended, were in fact draws.

Leefro
07-18-2011, 01:15 AM

Been to a game ??

minz
07-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Been to a game ??

Once, I was bored to tears, never again...

Leefro
07-18-2011, 01:20 AM

It takes an amazing amount of skill and courage to put a penalty away with all that pressure

You would not think it but it does

We tried the sudden death way of sorting out the result but it was SHITE

MrsM
07-18-2011, 01:21 AM
I have actually enjoyed soccer/football games - and the womans world cup gold game was a very good one :tup:

Leefro
07-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Once, I was bored to tears, never again...

You are either grabbed by it or not as in your case

For me it's not just the game it's much much more than that :)

Teh One Who Knocks
07-18-2011, 01:54 AM
[COLOR="blue"]It was decided on the pitch, how do you not get that?

I wish I had the time to go into this right now Lance, but there is an elegance and splendor to a draw...it's what makes footie so great. And the penalty kickout seen in games that must have a definitive winner is an incredible sight.

But the draw is part of what makes soccer the Beautiful Game.

I understand your point of view, I grew up at a time when soccer was widely derided here in the states and had the same attitude as yours...until I watched it. Now, it's the only sport I can watch regularly, because all others pale in the extreme beside it.

There is a wonder to the game that comes to you after a time, something special about it. How every goal can shift the style of play, the aforementioned draws, the balletic magnificence of well play football...no other sport can touch that.

And for the record, some of the best matches I have ever seen, ones that had me shouting and barely able to contain myself, and that left me feeling really great long after the game ended, were in fact draws.

Ah yes, assume that because I dislike it, that I never watch it.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-18-2011, 01:54 AM
It takes an amazing amount of skill and courage to put a penalty away with all that pressure

You would not think it but it does

We tried the sudden death way of sorting out the result but it was SHITE

Maybe a game of Jenga to decide the winner :)

Leefro
07-18-2011, 01:57 AM
I played that once but was hard work as I was in a caravan with a force ten gale blowing outside

JoeyB
07-18-2011, 05:16 AM
Ah yes, assume that because I dislike it, that I never watch it.

You hate soccer, from the way you talk about it. So why do you keep watching it? And after all I wrote, that was the only comment you had?

Leefro
07-18-2011, 12:40 PM
You hate soccer, from the way you talk about it. So why do you keep watching it? And after all I wrote, that was the only comment you had?

I'd take you to a game ;)

Leefro
07-18-2011, 12:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfBTiEXQv6E

JoeyB
07-18-2011, 09:39 PM
I'd take you to a game ;)

Let's go! We should be buddies anyway, as I said before Lee is my middle name, and we were only born a month apart at the end of 1970. We shall unite and rule the galaxy together as father and s...we'll as buddies, but we'll still kill the emperor and build cool space shit.

DemonGeminiX
07-18-2011, 09:54 PM
I played that once but was hard work as I was in a caravan with a force ten gale blowing outside

Was it a periwinkle blue caravan?

:-k

Goofy
07-21-2011, 08:19 PM
:cheerlead:

Rangers seal deals for Lee Wallace & Alejandro Bedoya

Rangers have signed Hearts defender Lee Wallace on a five-year contract after he passed a medical.

The Ibrox club had a £1.5m bid for the 23-year-old Scotland international accepted after previous offers of £300,000 and £1m were rejected.

Meanwhile, American international Alejandro Bedoya has agreed to join Rangers, subject to a work permit.

The 24-year-old midfielder, currently with Swedish club Orebro, will arrive at Ibrox in January.

Hearts manager Jim Jefferies recently stated he would prefer Wallace to stay, even though he could leave for free when his contract expires next year.

Wallace has made 140 appearances since coming through Hearts' youth ranks.

However, injury has meant that he made only 10 of those club appearances last season despite having been made deputy to captain Marius Zaliukas by Jefferies.

Wallace suffered a cruciate ligament injury playing for Scotland, for whom he has five caps, against Liechtenstein in September and has played only seven times since returning to action in January.

Wallace is eligible to play in Rangers' upcoming Champions League qualifiers with Malmo.

Bedoya's move to Rangers is still some months away as Orebro are still in the middle of their league season.

Capped 13 times, Bedoya moved to Sweden from the American college system.

Leefro
07-22-2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlKmP-wjyIs&feature=player_embedded

Leefro
07-25-2011, 07:22 PM
I shall be going to my first game of the season tomorrow :)

Pics and vids hopefully up by Wednesday if possible

DemonGeminiX
07-25-2011, 07:25 PM
:thumbsup:

Enjoy the game, Lee.

Leefro
07-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Not just the game sir It's the whole day out :)

Only a Pre Season game BTW

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Bob Bradley was fired from the US soccer coaching job.

DemonGeminiX
07-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Jürgen Klinsmann is named as the head coach of the US Men's national team.

redred
07-30-2011, 08:48 PM
2105: The full EUROPEAN ZONE DRAW then...
Group A: Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, SCOTLAND, Macedonia, WALES
Group B: Italy, Denmark, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Armenia, Malta.
Group C: Germamy, Sweden, R of Ireland, Austria, Faroe Is, K'stan.
Group D: Netherlands, Turkey, Hungary, Romania, Estonia, Andorra.
Group E: Norway, Slovenia, Switzerland, Albania, Cyprus, Iceland.
Group F: Portugal, Russia, Israel, N IRELAND, Azerbaijan, L'bourg
Group G: Greece, Slovakia, Bosnia-H, Lithuania, Latvia, Lichtenstein
Group H: ENGLAND, Montenegro, Ukraine, Poland, Moldova, S Marino
Group I: Spain, France, Belarus, Georgia, Finland

Leefro
07-31-2011, 07:11 AM
Will be putting up my pics from earlier in the week in a few hours time

redred
07-31-2011, 08:22 AM
did you get down to the gate yesterday bob?

Jezter
07-31-2011, 08:41 AM
I don't think he is the best one to lead Team USA. He is a legendary player, but his merits as a coach aren't so good. And he didn't even start from the bottom, but straight from the top and both jobs ended up in getting sacked. But maybe he can bring something good to you guys. USA has played well and gone forward in recent years and lets hope this continues under Klinsmann and maybe a legendary name like that will raise more interest towards football.

Any other group, but I... one tough motherfucking group for Finland. I honestly was a little crushed and said out loud "not again..". We always have the shittiest luck with the draws and our hopes of getting to the games are diminished right away before the qualis even start.

SmoothBob
07-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Any other group, but I... one tough motherfucking group for Finland. I honestly was a little crushed and said out loud "not again..". We always have the shittiest luck with the draws and our hopes of getting to the games are diminished right away before the qualis even start.

Try being Scottish pal, we never qualify for ANYTHIN! :)

I mean come on, were gonna get beaten by WALES!

Goofy
07-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Try being Scottish pal, we never qualify for ANYTHIN! :)

I mean come on, were gonna get beaten by WALES!

I actually like the look of our group......... i'm confident we'll win it :)

:lol:

redred
07-31-2011, 09:01 AM
:haha:

SmoothBob
07-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Im confident we will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! :)

Goofy
07-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Macedonia, WALES

Nothing to be afraid of there :) In recent years we've been in a lot tougher groups......... and i think we have the strongest squad for years right now

Leefro
07-31-2011, 08:22 PM
did you get down to the gate yesterday bob?

Nope

Bad memories :(

Not a big fan of friendlies even tho it was only £2:50 to get in

redred
07-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Nope

Bad memories :(

Not a big fan of friendlies even tho it was only £2:50 to get in
cheaper than a pint of cider

Arkady Renko
08-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Daring move by the US FA, but maybe the best way to take the national team to the next level. Klinsmann probably isn't the best coach around as far as the daily work with the squad is concerned, but he deserves a lot of credit for his work with the german national team. His performance at the 2006 world cup was okay but nothing out of the ordinary. He tooka modestly skilled team that had been quite insecur when he took over and finished third with several really inspired games at the Cup. Rudi Völler found a similar situation in 2000 and took an even less talented team to the final in 2002...

BUT: Klinsmann also managed to modernize the entire structure of the national team, they now have a state of the art scouting department, the junior teams' organization is much more efficient, the coaching education has improved a lot and the Bundesliga clubs have modernized their tactical and physical training a great deal, too. If he can do that in the US, he may well trigger a massive progress in US football.

pretty lopsided draw, some groups with three or four contenders (A,B, C and D) and others with nothing but filler teams that nobody wants to see at the world cup (E and G). Spain vs. France should be fun as well as Serbia vs. Croatia...

SmoothBob
08-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Europa league draw/fixtures:

Thursday, 18 August 2011
Aalesunds FK v AZ Alkmaar, PO, L1, 18:00
Atletico Madrid v Guimaraes, PO, L1, 18:00
Besiktas v Alania Vladikavkaz, PO, L1, 18:00
Braga v Young Boys, PO, L1, 18:00
Bursaspor v Anderlecht, PO, L1, 18:00
Dinamo Tbilisi v AEK Athens, PO, L1, 18:00
Dnipro v Fulham, PO, L1, 18:00
Ekranas Panevezys v Hapoel Tel-Aviv, PO, L1, 18:00
FC Metalist Kharkiv v Sochaux, PO, L1, 18:00
FC Nordsjaelland v Sporting, PO, L1, 18:00
FC Sion v Celtic, PO, L1, 18:00
FC Thun v Stoke, PO, L1, 18:00
FC Vaslui v Sparta Prague, PO, L1, 18:00
FC Zestafoni v Club Bruges, PO, L1, 18:00
Gaz Metan Medias v Austria Vienna, PO, L1, 18:00
HJK Helsinki v Schalke 04, PO, L1, 18:00
Hannover 96 v Sevilla, PO, L1, 18:00
Hearts v Tottenham, PO, L1, 18:00
Lazio v Rabotnicki Skopje, PO, L1, 18:00
Legia Warsaw v Spartak Moscow, PO, L1, 18:00
Litex Lovech v Dynamo Kiev, PO, L1, 18:00
Lokomotiv Moscow v FC Spartak Trnava, PO, L1, 18:00
Macc Tel-Aviv v Panathinaikos, PO, L1, 18:00
NK Maribor v Rangers, PO, L1, 18:00
Nacional v Birmingham, PO, L1, 18:00
Olympiacos Volou v Paris SG, PO, L1, 18:00
Omonia Nicosia v Red Bull Salzburg, PO, L1, 18:00
PAOK Salonika v Karpaty Lviv, PO, L1, 18:00
PSV Eindhoven v SV Ried, PO, L1, 18:00
Rennes v Red Star Belgrade, PO, L1, 18:00
Roma v Slovan Bratislava, PO, L1, 18:00
Rosenborg v AEK Larnaca, PO, L1, 18:00
Shamrock Rovers v Partizan Belgrade, PO, L1, 18:00
Slask Wroclaw v Rapid Bucharest, PO, L1, 18:00
Standard Liege v Helsingborgs, PO, L1, 18:00
Steaua Bucharest v CSKA Sofia, PO, L1, 18:00
Trabzonspor v Athletic Bilbao, PO, L1, 18:00
Vorskla Poltava v Dinamo Bucharest, PO, L1, 18:00

I called Hearts v Spurs, only wan I got right!

Should be nice easy game for Teh Hoops! :)

SmoothBob
08-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Champions League Play Offs

Tuesday, 16 August 2011
Arsenal v Udinese, PO, L1, 19:45
BATE Borisov v SK Sturm Graz, PO, L1, 19:45
FC Copenhagen v Plzen, PO, L1, 19:45
FC Twente v Benfica, PO, L1, 19:45
Lyon v Rubin Kazan, PO, L1, 19:45
Wednesday, 17 August 2011
Bayern Munich v FC Zurich, PO, L1
Dinamo Zagreb v Malmo, PO, L1
Maccabi Haifa v Genk, PO, L1
Odense BK v Villarreal, PO, L1
Wisla Krakow v Apoel Nicosia, PO, L1

Jezter
08-05-2011, 01:01 PM
HJK - Schalke. :(
I think it is going to be very very very tough...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Chinese media accuse Ronaldo of bad attitude, warn of backlash
By Brooks Peck - Yahoo! Soccer Blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDQzqkQIWmo

Though we are certainly used to hearing bland answers from disinterested athletes in press conferences, the Chinese apparently are not. So when Cristiano Ronaldo put in a pretty normal performance in front of the media in Guangzhou ahead of Wednesday's friendly, the local press and fans took offense.

From the AFP:

"He always seems selfish and arrogant," said Yan Qiang, vice-president of Titan Media, one of China's leading sports publishers, noting the flying winger is one of the most popular players in China, along with Kaka and Lionel Messi.

"His behaviour won't help his cause in China," Yan told AFP, suggesting that the negative reaction to his appearance on the eve of a friendly with Guangzhou Evergrande might also hurt the prospects in China of his backers Nike.

Asked at the press briefing about the condition of his injury-prone teammate Kaka, Ronaldo, who became the world's most expensive player when he left Manchester United for Real in 2009 for £80 million, answered: "Perfecto."

In an attempt to lift the mood, another Chinese journalist asked Ronaldo, who last year became a father, whether he changed his son's nappy.

"Of course, as a father it is normal to change the baby's nappies," an unamused Ronaldo replied in English.

And asked by AFP if he might ever return to United or English football, he said: "Maybe, why not? You never know."

He was also quizzed about his interest in table tennis and whether he knew any of the Chinese players. Asked later about his impressions of Guangzhou, he said that it was very hot.

"The questions he was asked didn't have much to do with football. Chinese fans are different from European fans. Chinese are more into the personal lives of their icons," Yan said.

In Ronaldo's defense, those were all either horribly boring or ones he's answered 9 million times before or both. But the fact that the images of both Cristiano and Nike could be damaged in the all-important Chinese market because he didn't go into enough detail about cleaning up baby poop is pretty funny.

If the personal lives of icons are that important in China, maybe they should just do a better job of inquiring about them. Also, they might want to send a massive herd of paparazzi out to stalk their every move. After all, we've proven that to be quite effective in both Europe and the U.S.

SmoothBob
08-05-2011, 05:52 PM
In Ronaldo's defense :D

Fantastic footballer though

Jezter
08-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Woot woot! First half of Championship done! Goooo Blackpool! :cheerlead:
Can't wait for Premier to start too.

Jezter
08-05-2011, 08:40 PM
And the opening day win goes to the Tangerines!

Leefro
08-05-2011, 10:06 PM
In Ronaldo's defense :D

Ronaldo's a CUNT

I have changed it for you ;)

SmoothBob
08-06-2011, 01:44 AM
:lmao:

Goofy
08-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Spain vs. France should be fun as well as Serbia vs. Croatia...

Hopefully Serbia and Croatia have a few small 'issues' and get thrown out......... leaving just Belgium and FYROM in our way :)

and we still wont make it :lol:

In other news - im watching the Celtic vs Aberdeen game just now and it looks like Izaguirre has just broken his ankle! Player of the year up here last year, lots of clubs were apparently interested in signing him too......... shame for the player......... but since he's a Celtic player i wont lose to much sleep over it 8-[

Leefro
08-07-2011, 11:39 PM
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7863/veletusdownagain1nw.jpg

Leefro
08-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Hopefully Serbia and Croatia have a few small 'issues' and get thrown out......... leaving just Belgium and FYROM in our way :)

and we still wont make it :lol:

[

You should be ok as you have two baggies in the squads

Arkady Renko
08-08-2011, 02:07 PM

after the little picknick party the serbian hooligans threw last year in Italy, and then again in Latvia (or was it Estonia?), I suppose we can expect someoutstanding riots to accompany their matches against the archenemy. Just like 1990/91.

Leefro
08-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Getting that PMT feeling again :(

Jezter
08-14-2011, 11:10 AM

What is that feeling? :-k

Goofy
08-14-2011, 11:42 AM
You should be ok as you have two baggies in the squads

What's the story with Dorrans? A couple of years ago he was meant to be the Scottish Pele........ havent seen anything lately to back that up.......

Leefro
08-14-2011, 05:57 PM
What is that feeling? :-k

God these novices

Pre Match Tension

Leefro
08-22-2011, 07:40 PM
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/2199

Jezter
08-22-2011, 07:57 PM
God these novices

Pre Match Tension

Oi...easy with the use of novice.... :rolleyes:

Leefro
08-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Sorry about that Football Virgin ;)

MrsM
08-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Post Masturbation Tiredness?

Leefro
08-22-2011, 08:25 PM
That may apply now but not last Sunday

Jezter
08-23-2011, 06:48 AM
Sorry about that Football Virgin ;)

I don't think I am though... :-k

Leefro
08-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't think I am though... :-k

Was it that memorable then ?

Jezter
08-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Was it that memorable then ?

http://www.theandroidscloset.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/come-at-me-bro-meme-anteater.jpg

Leefro
08-24-2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.theandroidscloset.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/come-at-me-bro-meme-anteater.jpg

I'll come at ya with these ;)

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307262_223776061006117_102118533171871_664624_3007 070_n.jpg

redred
08-24-2011, 04:47 PM
best thing in a west brom shirt for years :dance:

SmoothBob
08-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Scottish Football, whit a joke...

Leefro
08-27-2011, 12:03 PM
No shit bob

All the teams from north of the border knocked out of Europe

SmoothBob
08-27-2011, 12:20 PM
No shit bob

All the teams from north of the border knocked out of Europe

Total Pish, makes me embaressed tae be Scottish..

Leefro
08-27-2011, 10:13 PM
I just think the same as you

Went on a rangers fansite/Forum when we were after their goalie and the we are the best team in the world bile you read you would think they were barca and Real Madrid all rolled into one

Leefro
09-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Forgot about to upload pics of pre season game at Rochdale

http://i55.tinypic.com/npi9on.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/bhdd09.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2i91fuw.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/xfckr8.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/veqjra.jpg

Leefro
09-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Now for pics of our first home game against Man Ure

http://i53.tinypic.com/nz0l14.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/24kz7r9.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/aoriom.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2w4jngo.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/icoao8.jpg

redred
09-06-2011, 11:31 AM
nice bob ,have you got a season ticket where you stay in the same seat or do you move around on home games

Leefro
09-06-2011, 05:14 PM
nice bob ,have you got a season ticket where you stay in the same seat or do you move around on home games

I am a carer for my uncle who is in a wheelchair and it costs me nowt ;)

Same seat right at the front :)

redred
09-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I am a carer for my uncle who is in a wheelchair and it costs me nowt ;)

Same seat right at the front :)

result :tup: nice how they put that net up to stop the ball hitting the less able smack in the face :lol:

Leefro
09-06-2011, 05:54 PM
result :tup: nice how they put that net up to stop the ball hitting the less able smack in the face :lol:

If you look at the 3rd pic up from the bottom where they take pot shots at the goalie then nobody is safe I tell ya

Leefro
09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
This used to my view when I had a season ticket

http://i54.tinypic.com/flwyft.jpg

Leefro
09-06-2011, 06:07 PM
But I'm guessing this bloke has the best seat in the Hawthorns

http://i56.tinypic.com/34ef5l0.jpg

redred
09-06-2011, 06:08 PM
If you look at the 3rd pic up from the bottom where they take pot shots at the goalie then nobody is safe I tell ya

they've only managed one home goal this season haven't they ? so you'll be ok as long as wba have the ball

Leefro
09-06-2011, 06:11 PM
they've only managed one home goal this season haven't they ? so you'll be ok as long as wba have the ball

Exactly this is before the game

redred
09-06-2011, 06:13 PM

SmoothBob
09-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Celtic in europe cos they cried to UEFA because of player ineligibility from the team that knocked them out. I aint celebrating. If they team cant get to the tournament by qualifying like everyone else then they shouldnae be there.

Leefro
09-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Rules are Rules

SmoothBob
09-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I know but what does it show about the state of Scottish Football? Only team in europe but on a technicality? Dont get me wrong, its good for the club, means they might attract players/make money etc, but if they dont win it (win? :lol:) then it'll be an embarresment..

Goofy
09-11-2011, 11:29 AM
They won't even be trying to win it Bob, there's already talk of them leaving out Scott Brown on thursday to make sure he's 100% for sunday against us........ the league matters more.

Leefro
09-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Fuck all that anyway the real stuff starts in 15 minutes ;)

Jezter
09-11-2011, 02:46 PM
They won't even be trying to win it Bob, there's already talk of them leaving out Scott Brown on thursday to make sure he's 100% for sunday against us........ the league matters more.

Then why the heck complain about a technicality to get into a competition they have no ambition for? You scots confuse me. :lol:

Jezter
09-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Fuck all that anyway the real stuff starts in 15 minutes ;)

Congrats! First win of the season with early Odemwingie goal. And then he goes and misses a penalty... :P Also, quite the elbow hit in the last minutes of second half. Norwich player's mouth was bleeding bad. And no penalty...

Goofy
09-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Then why the heck complain about a technicality to get into a competition they have no ambition for? You scots confuse me. :lol:

Extra money, no other reason :) The board will enjoy the extra income, the manager will see it as a distraction.....

Jezter
09-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Extra money, no other reason :) The board will enjoy the extra income, the manager will see it as a distraction.....

What a wonderful attitude and sportsmanship... Greed > Love for Football

Goofy
09-11-2011, 03:55 PM
What a wonderful attitude and sportsmanship... Greed > Love for Football

Thats what professional football is all about these days Jussi, money and greed! You want 'love of the game' then you need to watch amateur footy :)

Look at all the big transfers during the window and tell me how many were purely for football reasons and not for personal financial gain ;)

Jezter
09-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Thats what professional football is all about these days Jussi, money and greed! You want 'love of the game' then you need to watch amateur footy :)

Look at all the big transfers during the window and tell me how many were purely for football reasons and not for personal financial gain ;)

Eto's transfer was a joke...due goes to play for some suddenly-gotten-rich russian club that poaches players with big money...holy shit how stupid can one be.

Goofy
09-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Eto's transfer was a joke...due goes to play for some suddenly-gotten-rich russian club that poaches players with big money...holy shit how stupid can one be.

Precisely my point ;)

SmoothBob
09-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Yip, gotta agree.

I see there saying Brown could be out due to 'injury'

They better not get tanked in each game thats all i gotta say about europe.

Well apart from O'Neil was robbed! :lol:

Leefro
09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Congrats! First win of the season with early Odemwingie goal. And then he goes and misses a penalty... :P Also, quite the elbow hit in the last minutes of second half. Norwich player's mouth was bleeding bad. And no penalty...

Why thank you :)

And Norwich welcome to the premier league ;)

redred
09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
And Norwich welcome to the premier league ;)

aren't they saving the welcome party till one of the manchester clubs?

Leefro
09-12-2011, 02:36 PM
aren't they saving the welcome party till one of the manchester clubs?

everything went wrong for them as a home team

Early goal soft penalty against them and a elbow in the face to one of their attackers

This from a middle table club

Leefro
09-20-2011, 10:19 PM
http://p.twimg.com/AZyrpURCMAAMdGW.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
09-27-2011, 12:12 AM
YouTube 'backheel' sensation Theyab Awana dies in crash

http://i.imgur.com/0v9LA.jpg

(CNN) -- An international footballer who played for the United Arab Emirates, and who became an internet sensation after scoring a backheeled penalty, has died following a car accident near the country's capital, Abu Dhabi.

Theyab Awana, a 21-year-old winger for local club Bani Yas, was one of the country's brightest prospects after winning the 2008 AFC Under 18 Cup and was instrumental in the UAE reaching the quarterfinals of the 2009 FIFA Under 20 World Cup.

"Theyab Awana has passed away on Sunday night after a horrible traffic accident on Sheikh Zayed Road in Abu Dhabi," the UAE Football Association confirmed in a statement on Monday.

"God blesses his soul and wholehearted condolences to his family, friends and fans."

Last year he won a silver medal at the 2010 Asian Games after the UAE reached the final and had been picked for both senior and Olympic national teams.

But it was his actions during a friendly against Lebanon in July that brought him international recognition.

With the UAE leading 5-2, Awana stepped up to take a penalty.

Instead of conventionally striking the ball he twisted around and backheeled the ball into the corner of the net.

He was immediately substituted by then coach Srecko Katanec, who was angry at what he saw was a lack of respect for the opposition.

Yet the fans didn't agree. Instead the YouTube clip of his penalty went viral. More than 1.2 million people have since viewed it.

"On behalf of AFC and the Asian football family, I would like to offer my sincere condolences to the UAE football community, family and friends of Awana," the Asian Football Confederation's acting president Zhang Jilong said in a statement.

Awana's death comes soon after another young Emirati player Saeed al Nooby, who played for second division side Al Dhafra, also died in a car accident.

"We had just returned last night with the club officials and players after visiting the family of Saeed al Nooby and paying our condolences," Bani Yas' Brazilian coach Jorvan Vieira told the Dubai-based newspaper the Gulf News.

"An hour later I got a call from the club's manager informing me of the accident and I rushed to the hospital but Awana had died.

"It will take some time for the club and his teammates to get over Awana's death. We have lost a man, a player and a boy and it will be hard to replace him."

Arkady Renko
09-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Allah's punishment for mocking that poor goalkeeper.

redred
10-03-2011, 05:40 PM
In the 19 years since the formation of the Premier League, the value of the competition's television rights has gone from £304m to a staggering £3.2bn.

It is one of the country's most successful exports and whenever Prime Minister David Cameron goes on trade missions abroad, as he did to Russia last month; he often takes chief executive Richard Scudamore with him as an example of a thriving British business.

And yet on Tuesday the European Court of Justice (ECJ) will deliver a ruling which could deal the League and its lucrative TV rights model a major blow.

Unlikely though it might seem, the case all centres on a Portsmouth pub, the Red, White and Blue, and its landlady, Karen Murphy. She was fined back in 2006 for showing her customers live Premier League matches accessed via a Greek service and an illegal decoder.

Mrs Murphy spoke to 5 live Investigates presenter Adrian Goldberg about the forthcoming decision
The Premier League states UK citizens should only be able to watch live matches through Sky and, to a lesser extent, ESPN. For pubs the cost of screening matches is high, making it attractive for them to look for cheaper alternatives.

Mrs Murphy appealed against the decision saying that the European Union's laws on the free movement of trade and services inside the single market meant she should be entitled to buy her live football from any European country she should choose.

In March, a non-binding opinion from the ECJ's advocate general Juliane Kokot seemed to back her argument. Kokot stated that broadcasters cannot stop customers using cheaper foreign satellite TV services.

There is no guarantee that the court will follow that opinion tomorrow. But even senior Premier League sources admit it is unlikely that it will go against it.

So what does this potentially mean to the League and Sky, whose business model is so reliant on live top flight football?

The first thing to say is that tomorrow's decision is unlikely to be clear cut. Although the Kokot advice was interpreted as a potential setback for the League's case, the League argues it was much more complicated than that.

And even if the court delivers a clear judgment, it is only guidance for the UK High Court, which must then decide whether to rubber stamp its findings.

The next point to make is that the impact on the League's rights in Europe is likely to be negligible. Of the £1.4bn it earns from selling its rights abroad, just £130m, less than 10 per cent, comes from Europe.

The big problem is a free for all in the UK market could seriously damage Sky's exclusivity for which it pays £1.8bn over the three years 2010-2013. Why would Sky continue to pay that money - money which underpins clubs' vast spending on players' wages and salaries every year - if foreign broadcasters are given the freedom to undercut them.

In response to such a verdict Sky might feel the need to lower their prices and therefore pay less to the League for its rights. That could have a massive knock-on effect on clubs who are already stretched.

However the League and its principal adviser on TV rights David Kogan have become adept at hurdling obstacles put in their path by regulators.

In the event of a ruling which backs Mrs Murphy's appeal, the League is likely to create one Europe-wide live TV rights package which Sky or another pan-European broadcaster could buy for the same sort of money Sky currently pay, if not more. They could then either show it on the continent themselves or sub licence to foreign TV companies.

The League, which wants to start its latest auction for the 2013-2016 package before the end of the season, is therefore confident that whatever the outcome tomorrow, its business model will continue to thrive.

But the impact on smaller sports could be significant as the markets for their rights will shrink. And the effect on other creative sectors like the film industry, which also sells exclusive content territory by territory, could be devastating.

Looking a bit further ahead the much bigger danger for football, indeed all sports, is the rapid blurring of the lines between distribution and access to live sport.

Rights holders used to be able to sell rights platform by platform - TV, radio, online, mobile and so on. But it's already difficult to tell the difference between a traditional TV and an iPad.

That will only become more blurred in the future and in response it has become necessary for rights holders to develop time sensitive packages with media companies now bidding for live, near live, highlights and archive rights.

For the Premier League and other big rights holders protecting those in the face of illegal streaming of matches from pirate websites is a far bigger threat than the ECJ's ruling tomorrow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2011/10/pubs_v_premier_league.html

Arkady Renko
10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
In the 19 years since the formation of the Premier League, the value of the competition's television rights has gone from £304m to a staggering £3.2bn.

It is one of the country's most successful exports and whenever Prime Minister David Cameron goes on trade missions abroad, as he did to Russia last month; he often takes chief executive Richard Scudamore with him as an example of a thriving British business.

And yet on Tuesday the European Court of Justice (ECJ) will deliver a ruling which could deal the League and its lucrative TV rights model a major blow.

Unlikely though it might seem, the case all centres on a Portsmouth pub, the Red, White and Blue, and its landlady, Karen Murphy. She was fined back in 2006 for showing her customers live Premier League matches accessed via a Greek service and an illegal decoder.

Mrs Murphy spoke to 5 live Investigates presenter Adrian Goldberg about the forthcoming decision
The Premier League states UK citizens should only be able to watch live matches through Sky and, to a lesser extent, ESPN. For pubs the cost of screening matches is high, making it attractive for them to look for cheaper alternatives.

Mrs Murphy appealed against the decision saying that the European Union's laws on the free movement of trade and services inside the single market meant she should be entitled to buy her live football from any European country she should choose.

In March, a non-binding opinion from the ECJ's advocate general Juliane Kokot seemed to back her argument. Kokot stated that broadcasters cannot stop customers using cheaper foreign satellite TV services.

There is no guarantee that the court will follow that opinion tomorrow. But even senior Premier League sources admit it is unlikely that it will go against it.

So what does this potentially mean to the League and Sky, whose business model is so reliant on live top flight football?

The first thing to say is that tomorrow's decision is unlikely to be clear cut. Although the Kokot advice was interpreted as a potential setback for the League's case, the League argues it was much more complicated than that.

And even if the court delivers a clear judgment, it is only guidance for the UK High Court, which must then decide whether to rubber stamp its findings.

The next point to make is that the impact on the League's rights in Europe is likely to be negligible. Of the £1.4bn it earns from selling its rights abroad, just £130m, less than 10 per cent, comes from Europe.

The big problem is a free for all in the UK market could seriously damage Sky's exclusivity for which it pays £1.8bn over the three years 2010-2013. Why would Sky continue to pay that money - money which underpins clubs' vast spending on players' wages and salaries every year - if foreign broadcasters are given the freedom to undercut them.

In response to such a verdict Sky might feel the need to lower their prices and therefore pay less to the League for its rights. That could have a massive knock-on effect on clubs who are already stretched.

However the League and its principal adviser on TV rights David Kogan have become adept at hurdling obstacles put in their path by regulators.

In the event of a ruling which backs Mrs Murphy's appeal, the League is likely to create one Europe-wide live TV rights package which Sky or another pan-European broadcaster could buy for the same sort of money Sky currently pay, if not more. They could then either show it on the continent themselves or sub licence to foreign TV companies.

The League, which wants to start its latest auction for the 2013-2016 package before the end of the season, is therefore confident that whatever the outcome tomorrow, its business model will continue to thrive.

But the impact on smaller sports could be significant as the markets for their rights will shrink. And the effect on other creative sectors like the film industry, which also sells exclusive content territory by territory, could be devastating.

Looking a bit further ahead the much bigger danger for football, indeed all sports, is the rapid blurring of the lines between distribution and access to live sport.

Rights holders used to be able to sell rights platform by platform - TV, radio, online, mobile and so on. But it's already difficult to tell the difference between a traditional TV and an iPad.

That will only become more blurred in the future and in response it has become necessary for rights holders to develop time sensitive packages with media companies now bidding for live, near live, highlights and archive rights.

For the Premier League and other big rights holders protecting those in the face of illegal streaming of matches from pirate websites is a far bigger threat than the ECJ's ruling tomorrow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2011/10/pubs_v_premier_league.html

it's done, the court has ruled in favour of the pub owner and the greek (or was it cypriotic?) pay tv channel. Excellent news for football fans all over europe, because it ought to have a massive impact on subscription fees. And great news for the german bundesliga in particular because our clubs rely much less on pay TV revenue so their competitve position as far as finances are concerned should improve a great deal as opposed to the english, spanish french and italian clubs.

redred
10-04-2011, 10:21 AM
as above

Premier League games can be shown on foreign decoders

A pub landlady has won the latest stage of her fight to air Premier League games using a foreign TV decoder.

Karen Murphy had to pay nearly £8,000 in fines and costs for using a cheaper Greek decoder in her Portsmouth pub to bypass controls over match screening.

But she took her case to the European Court of Justice.

The ECJ now says national laws which prohibit the import, sale or use of foreign decoder cards are contrary to the freedom to provide services.

'Relief'
It said national legislation, which banned the use of overseas decoders, could not "be justified either in light of the objective of protecting intellectual property rights or by the objective of encouraging the public to attend football stadiums".

"She's overwhelmed with relief at the moment," Mrs Murphy's lawyer, Paul Dixon, told BBC Radio Solent.

Karen Murphy used the Greek firm Nova to show Premier League games
"It's been a long road for her but she's delighted to be getting the case back to the High Court now in London where it will be finalised, before very long we hope.

"It will mean increased competition in the broadcast market that's for sure."

The ECJ findings will now go to the High Court in London, which had sent the matter to the ECJ for guidance, for a final ruling.

However, it is unusual for a member state High Court to pass a different judgment to one provided by the ECJ.

'Contingency plans'
The decision could trigger a major shake-up for the Premier League and its current exclusive agreements with Sky Sports and ESPN, and pave the way to cheaper viewing of foreign broadcasts for fans of top-flight English games.

"In practical terms, the Premier League will now have to decide how it wishes to re-tender its rights," said sports media lawyer Daniel Geey of Field Fisher Waterhouse solicitors.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

On the face of it, it looks like a blow for the Premier League and... broadcasters Sky and ESPN”

David Bond
BBC sport editor
"There can be little doubt it will have contingency plans ready to go and has various options available.

"Be it a pan-EU tender, selling in only certain EU member states or devising a plan to start its own channel, they will be deciding how best to maximise the value of their product to ensure any revenue shortfall is minimised."

The judges said the Premier League could not claim copyright over Premier League matches as they could not considered to be an author's own "intellectual creation" and, therefore, to be "works" for the purposes of EU copyright law.

However, the ECJ did add that while live matches were not protected by copyright, any surrounding media, such as any opening video sequence, the Premier League anthem, pre-recorded films showing highlights of recent Premier League matches and various graphics, were "works" protected by copyright.

To use any of these parts of a broadcast, a pub would need the permission of the Premier League.

'Resilient'
"It's not a decision that the Premier League or its clubs wanted," Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey told BBC Radio WM after the ECJ ruling was made.

The way games featuring PL teams such as Wolves and Newcastle are broadcast could be set to change
"The Premier League have been aware of the situation and the possibility of the judgement going against them for some time now and have been assessing how it will sell TV rights going forward.

"Football has shown itself to be a resilient business."

He said the Premier's League's financial model had been challenged by the ECJ ruling, and any future sales would need to take the court's decision into account.

'Major blow'
"On the face of it, it looks like a blow for the Premier League and... broadcasters Sky and ESPN," said BBC sport editor David Bond.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

In practical terms, the Premier League will now have to decide how it wishes to re-tender its rights”

Daniel Geey
Field Fisher Waterhouse
He said the Premier League had faced many regulatory challenges in the past and would find ways to get round the new situation.

Sky has pumped billions into top flight English football since the league was founded in 1992, with the money given to clubs allowing them to buy some of the top names in the world.

Our correspondent said that would not necessarily change, given the huge value of other deals.

The Premier League's television income from mainland Europe is about £130m, less than 10% of their total £1.4bn overseas rights deal.

But he warned that it could have significant repercussions for other rights holders outside of sport, with life potentially getting more difficult for the film industry, which also sells its product on an country-by-country basis.

Satellite signals
The legal battle kicked off six years ago, when Ms Murphy was taken to court for using the Nova firm to show matches at the Red, White and Blue pub.

Using the Greek service, she had paid £118 a month, rather than £480 a month with the official broadcaster.

Licensed broadcasters encrypt satellite signals, with subscribers needing a decoder card to access them.

Ms Murphy took advantage of an offer to UK pubs to use imported cards.

In February, an ECJ advocate general said this was in line with the aims of the EU single market - a border-free zone for goods and services.

The Premier League has already taken action against two suppliers of foreign satellite equipment and a group of pub landlords who used imported decoding equipment to show English Premier League games and avoided the commercial premises subscription fees for Sky.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241

Leefro
10-10-2011, 11:39 AM
6 days to go

Leefro
10-16-2011, 08:03 AM
6 days to go

3 Hours to go

God damn that has gone quick

Goofy
10-16-2011, 10:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ViA18.jpg

redred
10-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Leefro
10-16-2011, 01:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ViA18.jpg

Post a dead one goof or a cunt ;)

Goofy
10-16-2011, 06:38 PM

redred
10-18-2011, 12:05 PM
west brom v wolves 2011 pissing on your pitch !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBuT0PQTSp0&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2Fsearch%3Fgcx% 3Dc%26sourceid%3Dchrome%26ie%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dthey%2Bmay%2Bhave%2Bwon%2Bbut%2Bwe%2Bhad%2 Bthe%2Blast%2Blaugh

Leefro
10-18-2011, 02:52 PM
So these two cunts have now been banned from the baggies and hopefully followed suit at the Dump

So what did it prove well two things

One they are inbreds who gambowls over his own piss and has a small dick

Leefro
10-18-2011, 02:53 PM
http://twitpic.com/71x2kq

Leefro
10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1722144189&ref=ts

Leefro
10-19-2011, 07:01 PM
http://www.twitvid.com/WBD5U

Leefro
10-19-2011, 07:11 PM
http://www.twitvid.com/ZV0VB

Leefro
10-19-2011, 07:16 PM
http://www.twitvid.com/ACKUG

Leefro
10-20-2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTFOncppkJg&feature=player_embedded

JoeyB
10-24-2011, 03:50 AM
Phu-king-a....

I will elaborate more after a bit when I have the chance...time to feed the critters and do a few things, but...

fucking a...

I will wrap the important stuff in spoilers...

If you get the Fox Soccer Channel, they will be reshowing the match in it's entirety Monday night at 10PM central time...WATCH IT...do not read the spoilers in this thread or read anything about the game anywhere...just watch it. You'll be glad you did...

back in a bit...:wavey:

JoeyB
10-24-2011, 04:32 AM
Big spoilers:

Ok, eight minutes in and a questionalbe call against David Luiz means a penalty kick is awarded to QPR, which they convert. Cech gets some fingers on it and deflects it to the top corner of the net, but couldn't quite clear it, great effort though.

Half hour in and Jose Bosingwa is given a very, very sketchy red card, which I would be surprised if Chelsea do not challenge and even more surprised if he has to serve a three game suspension. Chelsea send out Sturridge to bring in Ivanovic to keep the defense strong.

Not ten minutes later and Drogba is also red carded...the game isn't even half over and Chelsea are down to nine men. In stoppage time at the half, Mata gets injured and is immediately replaced by Anelka...

Second half starts with Chelsea down two men and having only one substitution to make. And yet, they totally outplay QPR for the rest of the game. But, the ref keep dropping yellow cards on them...to the point that the only original member of the starting eleven to finish the game still in the match but not carded is Petr Cech. And even one of Chelsea's subs is carded. Several fights almost break out.

Cech is called on to play half goal keep/half defender, often coming out of the box to make saves...he reminded me of Shay Given at Man City a year and a half ago...always coming far out to stop an incoming attack. But, Shay did so out of frustration owing to the pathetic support his defenders were giving him, Cech was pressed into the role out of necessity.

Crazy match...but watching Chelsea stack up undeserved cards and still outplay a team that is two men up on them was incredible.

Spoiler revealing end of the match score:

Sadly, despite being the only team in the second half to make decent attempts on goal, Chelsea never equalize and the game ends in QPR's favor as a result of that fluke of a penalty at the start of the game. For the last play five minutes into stoppage time, Cech came out of goal and almost headed in an equalizer, almost. Brilliant match though, a real 'talker'.

My mother, who I watched the game with, is seventy one years old and was livid at the way the ref was treating Chelsea...she said he deserved to be fired lol...she enjoyed the game a lot but was pretty convinced the ref was actually out to get Chelsea...and he sort of seemed to be.

redred
10-24-2011, 07:40 AM
here you go joey a whole area for you to talk football :tup:

JoeyB
10-24-2011, 07:46 AM
here you go joey a whole area for you to talk football :tup:

Did you see the match?

redred
10-24-2011, 07:50 AM
i think so ,i remember drinking cider and looking at a tv ,and i also think the penalty was right you can't do that inside the box these days

JoeyB
10-24-2011, 07:54 AM
i think so ,i remember drinking cider and looking at a tv ,and i also think the penalty was right you can't do that inside the box these days

I don't know dude...even the announcers watching the replays said it barely looked like a yellow card. I really think Bosingwa won't have to serve three...though I doubt they'll dispute Drogba's red...his studs were up, even if it wasn't a particularly aggressive tackle.

Insane game though, brilliant Chelsea play in the second half.

Leefro
10-24-2011, 08:32 AM
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/CRYING-WOLVES-FAN-KOALA-HAT.gif

JoeyB
10-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Poor kid.

Leefro
10-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Fuck her :lol:

Not in that way btw

redred
10-24-2011, 08:56 AM

Leefro
10-24-2011, 10:29 AM
One of my faves EVER

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7863/veletusdownagain1nw.jpg

Leefro
10-24-2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3891235/Leicester-sack-boss-Sven-Goran-Eriksson.html

JoeyB
10-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Fuck her :lol:

Not in that way btw

Why not?

Leefro
10-24-2011, 08:45 PM
She's about 14

JoeyB
10-24-2011, 08:52 PM
She's about 14

Oh, shit...LOL I totally didn't notice...I just kept staring at her headgear.

Damn, headgear...it can make you a pervert.

Leefro
10-24-2011, 08:54 PM
I understand the poor kid bit but the shirt she's wearing leaves me saying

Stop blubbing you fucking dingle

Leefro
10-25-2011, 10:27 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/5l9nok.jpg

Leefro
11-14-2011, 10:30 AM
http://www.wba.co.uk/page/News/0,,10366~2514722,00.html

Leefro
12-04-2011, 07:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6nWat_IcKq4&gl=GB

Jezter
12-05-2011, 08:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6nWat_IcKq4&gl=GB

That was nice.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Gold Cup match-fixing allegations highlight serious global problem
Grant Wahl - PLANET FÚTBOL

Held in 13 U.S. cities last summer, the CONCACAF Gold Cup drew a record attendance of 601,702, including 93,420 at the Rose Bowl for Mexico's 4-2 victory over the U.S. in the final. But the region's most important soccer tournament attracted something else too: Allegations of match-fixing. "There has been information that some matches in the Gold Cup were manipulated," FIFA head of security Chris Eaton confirmed to SI.com. "We worked with CONCACAF at the time, and CONCACAF have been very interested in following up any information that can be revealed in the future on that."

While Eaton said FIFA had no investigative confirmation of Gold Cup match-fixing, he cited irregular betting patterns during the tournament. A leading betting-industry insider told SI he was highly suspicious of every Gold Cup game involving Cuba and Grenada and also had questions about El Salvador's 5-0 loss to Mexico. The games involving Grenada (which lost three matches by a combined 15-1) and Cuba (which was outscored 16-1), the insider said, stood out: "It was the sort of thing where we sat around and said, 'Yeah, this looks like it's a 99 percent chance that it's bent.'"

The betting-industry insider explained that the irregularities were in what is called "in-running betting" (in which bets are placed during a game on what will happen from that point on) as opposed to "dead-ball betting" that takes place before the game. In-game betting on world soccer is dominated by the Asian market, which he said was producing belief-defying odds swings during several Gold Cup games. The suspicious games weren't just the result of Cuba and Grenada being poor teams, he said.

"With Cuba and Grenada, yes, they're terrible, but there's lots of other teams that are also terrible, and generally those of us in soccer betting are used to pricing out these sorts of games, where you have very good against very bad," he said. "We see them a lot in the World Cup and European Championship qualifying. What I would say is that the odds movements for in-running betting [in Cuba and Grenada's Gold Cup games] were just incredibly, incredibly unusual and extreme. We're talking about five to 10 times what you would typically see. And these extreme odds movements would be subsequently vindicated by what was happening on the field." The industry expert provided several graphs depicting the differences in the Asian market swings in the suspicious Gold Cup games, as well as those in Gold Cup games that weren't suspicious to him. (The federations of Cuba, Grenada and El Salvador have yet to respond to SI.com's request for comments.)

The Gold Cup is just one example of alleged match fixing in an illegal global sports betting economy that's worth in excess of $1 trillion -- with soccer providing the vast majority of the action. Eaton, a former Australian federal police official, worked for 12 years at Interpol before becoming FIFA's head of security in 2010. "At least 24 countries today have active national investigations on [soccer] match-fixing, the majority of which have international connections," Eaton says. "Our investigations have revealed a significant international criminal input into match-fixing in football." In the last year there have been major soccer-related cases in South Korea, Turkey, China, Finland, Nigeria and Malaysia, as well as a host of other nations.

Eaton has visited nearly 40 countries in the past year, and FIFA has allocated $20 million toward working with Interpol while starting full-time investigative offices in Kuala Lumpur (for Asia), Jordan (for the Middle East) and Colombia (for the Americas). Nor is the U.S. excluded from Eaton's purview. "We are very interested in the Central American diaspora in North America," he says, "and the way in which various international friendly matches are often played, taking advantage of the high numbers of their nationals who live in the USA." Eaton adds that inquiries are continuing into figures in the region who are suspected of manipulating FIFA events, "and the same people we think might have been involved also in some matches in the Gold Cup."

While critics argue FIFA needs to do more to combat match-fixing by associating itself with national police forces that have jurisdiction (and not just Interpol), Eaton thinks the rash of recent cases shows that the problem is being addressed -- and that FIFA is on its way toward an achievable goal. "It's absolutely possible to stop it, provided we can have the integrated cooperative mechanisms that involve a combination of police, prosecutors and international sporting bodies willing to combine resources and skills," Eaton says. "We can defeat match-fixing." If that happens, expect more cases to come to light, in our own region and around the world.

Leefro
12-18-2011, 01:20 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2cdwcx4.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2mhafxk.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/102v03r.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/23sht2e.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/20ij1w7.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/w9i62a.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/10gk8j6.jpg

Goofy
12-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Good day at Ewood Park i take it?

Leefro
12-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Did you manage to see the goals

two that should be in the top ten this season

Leefro
12-18-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpVRHXMP2Ak&feature=player_embedded

Goofy
12-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Did you manage to see the goals

two that should be in the top ten this season

Nah, i missed MOTD, will probably catch MOTD2 tonight :tup:

Goofy
12-18-2011, 03:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpVRHXMP2Ak&feature=player_embedded

Morrison's was a peach :thumbsup: Wish he'd do more of that for Scotland!

Jezter
12-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Morrison's volley was defo a beauty. And good day for the Baggies as well. ;)

Leefro
12-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Morrison's volley was defo a beauty. And good day for the Baggies as well. ;)

As stated was my first away game of the season managed to get someone to do my shift on Saturday

Now going up to Newcastle for a few days gonna take in the city and the game on Wednesday

Leefro
12-20-2011, 12:58 AM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388666_10150408390741324_551376323_8657819_4096064 81_n.jpg

Arkady Renko
12-22-2011, 12:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x7fkv5Du3k

Jezter
12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
As stated was my first away game of the season managed to get someone to do my shift on Saturday

Now going up to Newcastle for a few days gonna take in the city and the game on Wednesday
Visit to Newcastle was well worth it! WBA doing pretty good at the moment...lets see how long this run can continue!

Jezter
12-22-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x7fkv5Du3k

lolski

Arkady Renko
12-22-2011, 04:08 PM
amazingly enough, the ref sent off the Alkmaar goalkeeper for kicking that asshat. Next thing you know, the Alkmaar team left the pitch in protest and then all hell broke loose on the stands, riots and whatnot.

Jezter
12-22-2011, 06:49 PM
amazingly enough, the ref sent off the Alkmaar goalkeeper for kicking that asshat. Next thing you know, the Alkmaar team left the pitch in protest and then all hell broke loose on the stands, riots and whatnot.
Yeah, sometimes it is quite hard to grasp how much emotion and passion is in the stands too. Not only on the pitch.

Goofy
12-22-2011, 10:23 PM

Yeah, saw it on SSN....... mental :lol:

redred
01-04-2012, 07:38 PM
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h477/intermania71/arsen.gif

Goofy
01-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Neil Warnock sacked as manager of Queens Park Rangers

http://i.imgur.com/oxrD0.jpg

The 63-year-old took charge at Loftus Road in March 2010 and led Rangers to promotion last season, but leaves with them lying 17th in the top flight.

A statement on the club website said: "The board's commitment to retaining our Premier League status ultimately led to this decision."

Assistant manager Mick Jones and coach Keith Curle have also left the club.

Former Manchester City, Fulham and Wales boss Mark Hughes is interested in the vacant post and is seen as an ideal candidate by the club, BBC Sport understands.

Warnock took charge of QPR with the club lying 20th in the Championship, and, after steering them away from relegation trouble, returned the club to the Premier League 14 months later.

Rangers made an encouraging start to life back in the top flight and, after a 3-2 win at Stoke on 19 November, sat ninth in the table.

However, without a win since, Warnock's side slipped towards the relegation zone and needed a last-minute equaliser from Heidar Helguson to avoid an FA Cup third-round defeat by League One side MK Dons on Saturday.

QPR's Malaysian owner and chairman Tony Fernandes said: "This decision has been made in the best interests of the club and I can assure everyone that this is not a decision that was made lightly.

"Sadly, our recent run of poor form has seen us slip alarmingly down the table and the board felt it was the right time to make a change.

"Neil has acted with honesty, professionalism and integrity throughout his time at the club, and I would personally like to thank him for his significant contribution to QPR over the last 22 months."

Warnock, who left Crystal Palace to take charge of Rangers, added: "Obviously I'm very disappointed, but having achieved so much, I leave the club with a great sense of pride.

"The board at QPR are hugely ambitious and I wish them every success for the future."

Warnock, one of only 19 bosses to have taken charge of 1,000 domestic matches in England, began his managerial career at Gainsborough Trinity before leading Scarborough to the Football League and winning successive promotions with Notts County.

Promotions with Huddersfield and Plymouth were followed by spells in charge of Oldham and Bury, with Warnock taking control at hometown club Sheffield United in December 1999.

He led the Blades to semi-finals in the both the FA and League Cups and, after a play-off final defeat, promotion to the Premier League in 2006.

United spent only one season in the top flight before being relegated, a campaign ultimately marred by the Carlos Tevez affair, and Warnock resigned in May 2007, arriving at Palace four months later.

Despite returning Rangers to the top flight after a 15-year absence, pre-season speculation suggested Warnock may be replaced, with names including Marcelo Lippi and Claudio Ranieri linked with the role.

When vice-chairman Amit Bhatia left the club more rumours circulated before new owner Fernandes took charge and assured Warnock of his future.

The former Chesterfield and Rotherham player said he would retire at the age of 60 before changing his mind and has also previously suggested that the Rangers role would be his last in management.

Warnock added: "I have enjoyed my time here more than anywhere else and the QPR fans have been brilliant with me - they deserve success.

"My biggest regret is that the takeover didn't happen earlier, because that would have given me the opportunity to bring in the targets I'd pinpointed all last summer and probably given us a better chance to succeed in the Premier League.

"I've been involved in the game a long time and I will be spending the immediate future with my family and friends before deciding my next career move."

Leefro
01-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Fuck off Colin is all I can say

Fodster
01-19-2012, 10:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sdO733POGDY

Fodster
01-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Any of you Americans seen Unbelievable Tekkers?

redred
01-19-2012, 10:57 AM
i don't think that has found it's way across the pond :lol:

Fodster
01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbtXB000GCY

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2012, 12:32 PM
The US Women beat the Dominican Republic 14-0 in an Olympic qualifier Friday night :lol:

redred
01-22-2012, 12:54 PM
nice:lol:

Leefro
01-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Ally McCoist confirmed talks have taken place between Rangers chief Craig Whyte and West Ham supremo David Sullivan over Nikica Jelavic.

But the Light Blues boss insists he is unaware of interest from any other clubs at this stage after the Croatian was also linked with Liverpool, Fulham and QPR.

Jelavic featured in the Rangers side who fought back from behind to draw 1-1 with Aberdeen in the SPL at Ibrox on Saturday.

McCoist said: "I spoke to Craig today and I believe Craig had a conversation with David Sullivan.

"But Craig was very keen to point out that absolutely no offers had been made at all. I think it was just a pretty informal chat they had."

On speculation linking the player with other clubs south of the border, he added: "That's news to me, I've certainly not been told. The only team where there has been an indication of interest is West Ham."

The Dons opened the scoring through Kari Arnason, before Maurice Edu levelled just four minutes later, with neither side able to find the winner.

The result means Rangers now trail SPL leaders Celtic by four points, after the Hoops secured victory at St Mirren earlier in the day.

Asked if Rangers can still catch their rivals, McCoist said: "Absolutely. Of that there is no doubt. We've got a squad of players I believe can win the championship."

When then quizzed on whether his side can retain the championship if Jelavic does leave this month, McCoist added: "I'll answer that question if and when it happens and hopefully it won't happen.

"I would hazard a guess and give you the same answer because I'm not going to sit here and tell you we'll not win the title."

McCoist is still keen to strengthen in forward positions this month but claimed today's result changed nothing in terms of potential transfer business.

He said: "I'm not any more urgent because it was urgent before. I know what we need and hopefully we can get that sorted.

"Kyle Lafferty and Steven Naismith are both goalscoring threats and when you take them out of your team you've got a little bit of a problem. We need to replace that."

Aberdeen boss Craig Brown revealed fears that Rob Milsom's season could be over following knee surgery.

He said: "He is likely to be out for the season.

"He had a knee operation in London yesterday and the leg was examined and there was more damage than first feared.

"The surgeon said he will not play this season so that's a major blow for us."

On the match, the Dons boss added: "I was pleased with the performance but, having got into a lead, I was disappointed not to win the game.

"Before the game, coming here with a makeshift team, you would have accepted a point.

"But the way the game panned out, I'm a bit disappointed in all honesty to concede an equaliser the way we did."

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 12:33 PM
nice:lol:

And now they followed that up on Sunday with a 13-0 win over Guatemala :lol:

redred
01-24-2012, 01:09 PM
i had to google that last country :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2012, 03:24 PM
US Women beat Mexico 4-0 yesterday and play Costa Rica for a spot in the Olympics. Other final match is Canada v Mexico for the other spot from the CONCACAF region.

So far the US Women have outscored their opponents 31-0 :lol:

redred
01-25-2012, 03:36 PM
do you even need to field a keeper?:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2012, 08:28 PM
If we didn't have one, an accidental goal might sneak thru :lol:

redred
01-25-2012, 08:38 PM
i can just see your keeper sat down doing her nails or updating her facebook status

Teh One Who Knocks
02-29-2012, 11:36 PM
The US men beat Italy for the first time ever :cheers:

Arkady Renko
03-02-2012, 03:42 PM
cause they finally hired some qualified help...

Teh One Who Knocks
03-02-2012, 03:45 PM
It was only a friendly, but it was still a big feather in the cap of the US side. Plus to make it even better, the match was in Italy.

Goofy
03-02-2012, 07:24 PM
It was only a friendly, but it was still a big feather in the cap of the US side. Plus to make it even better, the match was in Italy.

And it was all thanks to Clint :tup:

http://i.imgur.com/0Nn8W.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
03-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't think it was that Clint :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
03-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Annnnnnnnnd the US will miss the Olympics because they couldn't beat El Salvador and were beaten by Canada in qualifying :|

A draw with El Fucking Salvador.....you have to be kidding me :facepalm:

Good article on the failure of US Soccer as a whole right here if anyone's interested:

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/world/story/disappointing-result-byproduct-of-bigger-issues-usa-3-3-el-salvador-032612

Leefro
03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/27/fabrice-muamba-abuse-liam-stacey-jail_n_1381790.html?ref=tw

Arkady Renko
03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
it's going to take years to build a robust infrastructure for US soccer. Look at germany's problems in the past. After winning the world cup in 1990, a lot of people here thought the german team would go on to dominate the international scene for years on end, maybe decades, not least because of the addition of the outstanding east german talent pool. Problem was that with the demise of most east german clubs, their youth programmes went bust too and the west german team that won the world cup was a bunch of unusually talented individuals, a fluke, basically. So germany's football scene were so pleased with themselves that they didn't bother to modernize. During the tournaments from 1992 to 1998, the former world champion squad remained mostly intact and kept on masking the lousy level of talent that came after them, but in the 2000 european cup, the german team was so obviously uncompetitive that nobody could deny the lousy state of affairs anymore. luckily we were awarded the 2006 world cup which served as a huge motivation to whip things back into shape, but finishing third there was in no small part the result of a tremendous effort of the team and fans, not so much of talent.

Seeing how the US does not have a solid league system with 36 professionla clubs to rely on for youth programmes, you may easily have to spend ten years rebuilding.

Jezter
03-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Annnnnnnnnd the US will miss the Olympics because they couldn't beat El Salvador and were beaten by Canada in qualifying :|

A draw with El Fucking Salvador.....you have to be kidding me :facepalm:

Good article on the failure of US Soccer as a whole right here if anyone's interested:

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/world/story/disappointing-result-byproduct-of-bigger-issues-usa-3-3-el-salvador-032612
That's just really bad and disappointing especially when the US footie has been on a good run as of late. Very promising results and interesting players playing in good leagues. Plus the MLS attracting some European footie stars too. Albeit some of them on the bit more experienced side, but still. Y'all could've used the experience the younger ones would've gotten from the Olympics.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/27/fabrice-muamba-abuse-liam-stacey-jail_n_1381790.html?ref=tw
That is a bit hars to jail the kid for that. Sure it is in bad taste to tweet such things, but really. Should've gotten off with a warning I think. Had it been anyone else than a public figure and sports stars these kind of silly and in bad taste tweets had been made about, no one would've cared. So many people die and collapse due to various reasons and none of them gets all the attention like Muamba did cuz his very unfortunate collapse happened in front of a whole stadium... sure he is a sports star, but it doesn't make him any better or more valuable than your normal, every day normal Joe.

Leefro
03-27-2012, 03:50 PM
People using media outlets like this are all being treated the same way (well most of em )

Blokes who stated on facebook to go down to their local towns to riot during the riots in the UK were jailed for 3-5 years

Jezter
03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Silly, silly, silly! Sure, I understand that one has to watch a little what one spews out on various media outlets, but come on...

Teh One Who Knocks
03-27-2012, 04:02 PM
it's going to take years to build a robust infrastructure for US soccer. Look at germany's problems in the past. After winning the world cup in 1990, a lot of people here thought the german team would go on to dominate the international scene for years on end, maybe decades, not least because of the addition of the outstanding east german talent pool. Problem was that with the demise of most east german clubs, their youth programmes went bust too and the west german team that won the world cup was a bunch of unusually talented individuals, a fluke, basically. So germany's football scene were so pleased with themselves that they didn't bother to modernize. During the tournaments from 1992 to 1998, the former world champion squad remained mostly intact and kept on masking the lousy level of talent that came after them, but in the 2000 european cup, the german team was so obviously uncompetitive that nobody could deny the lousy state of affairs anymore. luckily we were awarded the 2006 world cup which served as a huge motivation to whip things back into shape, but finishing third there was in no small part the result of a tremendous effort of the team and fans, not so much of talent.

Seeing how the US does not have a solid league system with 36 professionla clubs to rely on for youth programmes, you may easily have to spend ten years rebuilding.

That's just really bad and disappointing especially when the US footie has been on a good run as of late. Very promising results and interesting players playing in good leagues. Plus the MLS attracting some European footie stars too. Albeit some of them on the bit more experienced side, but still. Y'all could've used the experience the younger ones would've gotten from the Olympics.

Soccer/Football is the most widely participated in sport in the United States for people up until about the age of 20. So during grade school/high school/college, more Americans play soccer than any other sport. We are also a country of almost 320 million people now. It boggles the mind that with that many people here, and that many of them involved in the sport, that it's just failure after failure for the men's side.

What makes it worse is, our women's side is world class. They have won in the Olympics, they have won in the World Cup, they have won everywhere, and they do it consistently. And they have had a lot less money and time and effort invested in them than the men have.

I dunno if it's the way US Soccer is run or if it's the people they hire as coaches and whatnot, but something needs to change and in a hurry.

Leefro
03-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Scouting is the way to go

There has got to be thousands of good players out there

Teh One Who Knocks
03-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Scouting is the way to go

There has got to be thousands of good players out there

Oh no doubt, I would bet there are easily tens of thousands of good players in this country based on our population and the amount of young people involved in the sport.

Jezter
03-27-2012, 04:09 PM
The U.S ladies definitely pwn! So it shows there is the coaching talent there too. And as we have seen, U.S is capable of producing quality players in men too. Seen glimpses of national team success aswell. It is a big country and the league might suffer from that. Huge distances to travel and being trumped by Handegg, baseball and probably basketball when it comes to sponsor money etc... Russia is a huge country too and a lot of traveling, but with the money they have there, they can attract world class players and all that.
But it is also true what Leefro said about coaching. Gotta find those talents early and get them under good coaching and not sell them right away to foreign clubs.

Arkady Renko
03-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Soccer/Football is the most widely participated in sport in the United States for people up until about the age of 20. So during grade school/high school/college, more Americans play soccer than any other sport. We are also a country of almost 320 million people now. It boggles the mind that with that many people here, and that many of them involved in the sport, that it's just failure after failure for the men's side.

What makes it worse is, our women's side is world class. They have won in the Olympics, they have won in the World Cup, they have won everywhere, and they do it consistently. And they have had a lot less money and time and effort invested in them than the men have.

I dunno if it's the way US Soccer is run or if it's the people they hire as coaches and whatnot, but something needs to change and in a hurry.

in my opinion, it's definitely a structural problem. The base is outstanding, but the league and national team fail to exploit the potential. I suppose it's hard for the league because the big four leagues syphon off a lot of attention and interesting sponsors. But still, in a market that big it should be possible to generate enough money and interest to support a first class league.

redred
05-09-2012, 05:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkVYSgjstY&feature=related

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GMTA5.jpg

redred
06-13-2012, 01:41 PM

Leefro
08-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Cracking defending Mr John Terry

Think I may use his for his assists in my fantasy league team

Leefro
08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
2/3 days to go :)

redred
08-15-2012, 07:13 PM
so RVP is near enough a man u player then

Leefro
08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Dirty Dutch Cunt

Yeah he's off

Arkady Renko
08-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Dirty Dutch Cunt

Yeah he's off

such is the football business, how is he any worse than the average guy ?

redred
08-16-2012, 09:27 AM
:shrug:

isn't it part of the modern game you try and con the ref by falling in the box and trying to get a penalty and someone sent off ,it may not be good sportsman ship but with the cash teams make from TV winning leagues and cups etc i think it's here to stay in some form or another

Goofy
08-16-2012, 11:10 AM
They're all a bunch of diving bastards these days unfortunately........ and it'll stay that way until they start retrospectively banning players for doing it. First time, one game ban, second time 2 game ban and so on........ would soon disappear from the game :)

Leefro
08-16-2012, 03:10 PM
such is the football business, how is he any worse than the average guy ?

Because he should have been sent off for a two footed challenge on one of our blokes

Cracking player but still a Cunt :tup:

Leefro
08-16-2012, 03:12 PM
These stupid fucking International Friendlies 3 days before the big kick off

Teh One Who Knocks
08-16-2012, 03:23 PM
The US men's team beat Mexico in Mexico City for the first time in history :)

Leefro
08-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Boss Steve Clarke today hit out at international managers after Albion duo Jonas Olsson and James Morrison picked up injuries playing for their countries.

Olsson and Morrison both returned to the Baggies with knocks today but Shane Long has been declared fit to face Liverpool despite missing Ireland’s draw in Serbia.

And Clarke admitted he was “upset” that both Olsson and Gareth McAuley, who emerged unscathed, were made to play 90 minutes for Sweden and Northern Ireland respectively.

“Jonas and Gareth both played 90 minutes and that has upset me a little bit,” said Clarke. “They are experienced central defenders who didn’t need 90 minutes the week before the season starts.

“You can make any number of changes in international friendlies.

“Jonas picked up a knock playing for Sweden but until he gets back here and we find out exactly what it is I can’t really say much more.

“The doctor thinks all the problems are minor and will hopefully clear up in the next 24 hours.”

Morrison limped out of Scotland’s 3-1 win against Australia in Edinburgh with an ankle problem while Long was an unused substitute in Ireland’s game despite being named in the original starting line-up.

Clarke said: “James came back this morning and is being assessed. He rolled his ankle slightly.”

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2012/08/16/clarke-hits-out-at-international-managers/#ixzz23ixFNqZw

redred
08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
These stupid fucking International Friendlies 3 days before the big kick off

agree it does seem the most stupid time to have them

Arkady Renko
08-16-2012, 04:04 PM
The US men's team beat Mexico in Mexico City for the first time in history :)

development aid at its best

Leefro
08-17-2012, 08:56 PM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/390805_10152025844045080_1841067544_n.jpg

Jezter
08-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Awesome display from WBA yesty. :tup:

redred
08-19-2012, 10:03 AM
i remember going out to watch football yesterday and yet i can't remember seeing any

Goofy
08-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Preußen Münster :cheerlead:

:mrgreen:

Goofy
08-19-2012, 04:27 PM
i remember going out to watch football yesterday and yet i can't remember seeing any

That's what MOTD2 is for :tup: Plus it prevents you having to listen to that tube Lineker! Win-win :tup:

Leefro
08-23-2012, 01:04 AM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/top-ten/120822/revealed-premier-league-club-will-cost-you-most-money-support-179236