PDA

View Full Version : Missing ASU student found snowbound in vehicle

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 05:16 PM
by Angela Piazza - The Arizona Republic

http://i.imgur.com/V33UI.jpg

A 23-year-old Arizona State University student was found with her vehicle on a remote dirt road in northeastern Arizona on Wednesday after being stranded in the snow for 10 days, Coconino County authorities said.

She told a deputy that she had survived on candy bars and melted snow water.

Around 11:30 a.m., Lauren Elizabeth Weinberg, an ASU senior, was found "alive and well" 46 miles southeast of Winslow. She was located with her vehicle, which was entombed in snow at Forest 34 and Forest 100 roads, according to the Coconino County Sheriff's Office.

Weinberg was discovered by U.S. Forest Service employees on snowmobiles who were checking winter road closure gates in the area. They reported that she was coherent and happy to be found but very hungry, thirsty and cold. Weinberg was transported to Flagstaff Medical Center for examination and was released overnight.

Weinberg told a deputy that she left her mother's home near South 44th Street and East Ray Road in Phoenix on Dec. 11 "and was driving around with no particular destination," Gerry Blair, a spokesman for the Sheriff's Office, told 12 News. The next day, she drove through Winslow on a paved road that turned to dirt and stopped at a fence line where her vehicle became stuck.

She told authorities that she survived off two candy bars and snow she melted into water by placing it inside of a bottle and allowing it to sit in the warmth of the sun.

"I am so thankful to be alive and warm," Weinberg said in a statement issued through the Medical Center. "Thank you for your thoughts and prayers -- they worked. At times I was afraid, but mostly I had faith that I would be found."

Weather forecasters and authorities said her survival was remarkable, given she had no heavy coat or blankets and was stuck in an area with more than 2 feet of snow on the ground and temperatures that dipped near zero as a heavy storm front moved through. Blair said Weinberg had a cellphone but the battery was dead.

"It's pretty harrowing that she'd been there since the 12th in an area that's totally foreign to her," Blair told the Associated Press. "We're certainly very happy that we found her and we found her alive."

Weinberg disappeared less than a week after an elderly New Mexico couple took a wrong turn and got stranded on a remote forest road in eastern Arizona. They survived two winter storms over five days before the woman collapsed and died as they tried to hike to safety.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-22-2011, 05:20 PM
she could have walked the 46 miles in less then 10 days :roll: