PDA

View Full Version : Chrome 15 surpasses IE 8 as world’s most popular browser

PorkChopSandwiches
12-22-2011, 06:24 PM
http://www-bgr-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/chrome-logo.png

Google’s Chrome 15 browser is now the most popular browser build in the world. New data from StatCounter suggests that Chrome 15 recently reached a total global market share of 23.6% compared to Microsoft’s Internet Explorer 8 market share of 23.5%. Internet Explorer still has the largest global market share if you combine all versions of the browser, however.

While Chrome 15 may be more popular on a global scale, that’s still not the case here at home in the United States where it had an 18.1% market share as of December 5th, while Internet Explorer 8 had a 27% share. ”Looking at the daily stats, Chrome 14 and 15 have been overtaking IE8 at weekends since the beginning of October,” StatCounter CEO Aodhan Cullen said. ”However, Chrome 15 overtook IE8 for the first time during the five day working week, in [the] week commencing [December 5th]. It looks as if people favor Chrome on weekends at home but office commercial use has now caught up.”

Muddy
12-22-2011, 06:25 PM
All hail, General Zod!

Hugh_Janus
12-22-2011, 06:26 PM
chrome FTW!

Loser
12-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I'll be honest, the only reason I don't use chrome is because of one plugin I use in firefox, but that need is fading as my frustration with firefox grows to a small tumor in my brain that makes me want to crush, burn, and salt my computer into oblivion.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Firefox > IE9 > Chrome

Still don't like it (Chrome) and I have forced myself to use it for the last few weeks at home

Hugh_Janus
12-22-2011, 06:34 PM
wat? you need a check up from the neck up [-(

PorkChopSandwiches
12-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Chrome works the best for me. FF lost me a couple versions back. and ie lost me prior to that

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Chrome works the best for me. FF lost me a couple versions back. and ie lost me prior to that

IE9 is quite good...I would use it over FF if it was more customizable

Muddy
12-22-2011, 06:48 PM
I backed off from IE because I thought it was one of the most attacked products out there..

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I backed off from IE because I thought it was one of the most attacked products out there..

IE9 is far better than anything previous that MS has put out. It does very well in most security tests now.

Muddy
12-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I use it on a few sites at work that will only work right on IE... It has a few nice touches..

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Like I said, I like it a lot and would use it exclusively, but it doesn't allow nearly the amount of addons that FF does, or even Chrome for that matter.

JoeyB
12-22-2011, 09:25 PM
I'll be honest, the only reason I don't use chrome is because of one plugin I use in firefox, but that need is fading as my frustration with firefox grows to a small tumor in my brain that makes me want to crush, burn, and salt my computer into oblivion.

It's why I stopped using FF...I was an early user from way back when it started, but by 1.5, and nothing changing, I finally bailed. FF is something you really, really want to love, but it just won't let you.

When did Netscape and Mosaic lose you?

PorkChopSandwiches
12-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Isn't FF the offspring of navigator?

JoeyB
12-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Isn't FF the offspring of navigator?

Ohh well, it's more the offspring of the mozilla project...Navigator is sort of a bastard cousin...Mozilla sprang up as an open source project based on Netscape, but it quickly went a whole new direction. So maybe...that makes Netscape less the cousin and more the grandpa, but not the grandpa you like most.

They did try to keep Netscape alive by using the same mozilla base FF did...at least for awhile. It was basically FF without the bells and whistles, so naturally it never caught on.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Its the Grandpa that gets drunk and touches you?

Goofy
12-22-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm running the 64-bit 'Nightly' Firefox build, love it :tup: FF is just so customizable, none of the others can be tweaked like FF can and there's so many add-ons that i love......... so nothing else will do for me :)

Hal-9000
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
we got a note from our IT dept this week - "we will be installing the firefox browser to all workstations across Canada, to enable access for the new PACE system."

I've had firefox installed and the work filter disabled for 3 years :lol: