PDA

View Full Version : Puppy brings smiles to leukemia patient, 9

Teh One Who Knocks
12-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Firefighters in Thiells deliver Christmas gift
Written by Akiko Matsuda - The Lower Hudson Journal News

http://i.imgur.com/ZcmNR.jpg

GARNERVILLE — When he saw two firetrucks arrive in front of his house one recent evening, 9-year-old Sean DePatto was worried that his house might be on fire.

With his hoodie jacket on, he stood outside and watched about 15 men and women come out from the trucks.

Strangely, they were not in their uniforms. And when one of them, firefighter Matthew Iarocci, turned to him, Sean saw him holding a puppy.

Sean and his 13-year-old brother, T.J., have been hoping to get a puppy for Christmas. As they looked through pictures of a variety of puppies, the brothers agreed that they wanted a shepherd mix that was under the care of SPCA of Westchester. Sean even named him “Cooper.”

But Sean never imagined that his dream 12-week-old puppy would arrive on a firetruck with lights and sirens on.

“I asked him who that is and he said, ‘That’s Cooper,’ ” said Jennifer Cunnane, a North Rockland school district teacher who was at the scene. “He was kind of confused.”

Cunnane, who has become friends with the DePatto family through a fundraising effort to support Sean’s fight against leukemia, had been in discussion with the brothers on getting a puppy.

She had secretly contacted the Thiells Fire Department to see if firefighters could help the brothers adopt the puppy from the shelter, and they happily agreed, Cunnane said.

Jason Trow, the fire department’s 2nd lieutenant, organized the surprise. He said he and his fellow firefighters wanted to cheer up Sean and his family.

“We’re trying to do something nice for the family. I know it’s really hard ... especially during the holidays,” Trow said. “We are trying to make it a really good Christmas for them.”

Kim DePatto, the brothers’ mother, said the surprise visit put a big smile on Sean’s face.

“It was priceless. It was absolutely priceless,” Kim DePatto said, adding that the firefighters also brought a big bag of puppy treats and got the dog a collar and a name tag. “They went above and beyond.”

Kim DePatto also thanked all the people in the community — including her landlord, who gave the family special permission to keep a dog at home — who have been supporting the family to fight Sean’s cancer.

Cooper, who was formerly known as “Prince,” had been rescued from a high-kill shelter along with his siblings and was transported to the Westchester shelter for adoption, according to SPCA of Westchester.

One afternoon this week, Cooper was making himself at home in the DePatto’s living room.

T.J. and Sean have been trying to teach Cooper some tricks, but the puppy appeared to be just too excited to play with the brothers.

Sean said his immediate goal was to teach Cooper to give paw.

“I like him a lot,” Sean said. “We looked through a lot of dogs, and we just fell in love with him.”

Pony
12-24-2011, 04:31 PM
That's just awesome.

Goofy
12-24-2011, 04:43 PM
*wells up*