PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist, 13, attacked after asking driver to put his phone away

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2011, 01:44 PM
WSBTV News Channel 2 (Atlanta)

http://i.imgur.com/bj9nI.jpg

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -- A father and daughter are accused of assaulting a 13-year-old cyclist after he told them to watch out for cyclists on the road.

Brody Hartley said he was riding his bike Wednesday near the intersection of Lilburn Stone Mountain Road and Hugh Howell Road in DeKalb County when he was attacked.

Hartley, a competitive cyclist who trains every day with a daily 10-mile round trip, said a white pickup truck came within a foot of him and passed by. Hartley said he met up with the truck at the next stop light and noticed the driver looking at his phone and texting.

"I just tapped him and said, ‘You almost hit me back there. Could you put the phone away?’ And he told me, ‘Pull over.’ He was going to talk to me," Brody Hartley said.

Brody said he pulled over at a gas station just up the road and pickup truck driver, 45-year old William Tinnell, got out of the vehicle, enraged.

“He was just saying I shouldn't be on the road, it's not a vehicle. I shouldn't be on the road because I’m a kid," Hartley said.

Brody's dad, who follows behind him in his car, said he was there when the situation escalated.

"He kicks and hits the handle bars," said Jerry Hartley.

Channel 2's Kerry Kavanaugh obtained a copy of the police report, which stated that both William Tinnell and his daughter, Brittney Tinnell, admitted to shoving Brody Hartley. According to the report, William Tinnell said at first, he didn't realize he was fighting with a 13-year-old.

Brody showed Kavanaugh where the shoves popped his shoulder out of place.

Despite the injuries, and damage to his bike, Brody told Kavanaugh that he has just one message for driver and his daughter.

"Be more careful, don't text and drive," he said.

There is a bill making its way through the state capitol called the 3-Foot Safe Rule. If passed, it would require drivers to give cyclists at least three feet of space when passing.

William Tennel and Brittney Tennel turned themselves in to DeKalb County police. They are both charged with simple battery.

Southern Belle
03-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Buncha rednecks

Godfather
03-06-2011, 05:32 PM
"just tapped"? Yeah.. I doubt it kid... but still, you can't touch a cyclist as much as we all want to fucking mow them down screaming "10 points bwahahahaha"

A father-daughter assault on a 13 year old... pretty fucked

Hal-9000
03-06-2011, 07:42 PM
My nephew was killed walking on the road and the driver has never been charged....I think inside, that he was using his phone because I've driven the stretch of road where it happened and it's pretty hard NOT to see pedestrians/cyclists in the area.