PDA

View Full Version : Montreal workers plow through invisible snow

Teh One Who Knocks
12-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Tim Alamenciak - The Star

http://i.imgur.com/qzT72.jpg

Montreal snow removal workers won’t let anything stop them from plowing the sidewalks — not even a lack of snow.

A YouTube video showing two snowplows running along the snow-less sidewalks of a north Montreal neighbourhood is adding fuel to the heated debate over snow removal in Quebec.

The blades can be seen scraping the sidewalk in some parts of the video.

The video was recorded Dec. 21, before Montreal had snow on the ground, leading viewers to comment that the machines were running unnecessarily.

Danielle Lamarre, a public relations representative for the Villeray neighbourhood, said the plows were spreading salt in preparation for freezing rain that came later in the afternoon.

“We put abrasives (salt and pebbles) — but of course we weren’t supposed to scratch the sidewalks, so the employees that did that will be met with,” she said in an interview with the Star.

Based on the timestamp, the two plows cruised the streets for nearly 40 minutes with their blades down and lights on, though the video itself shows just two minutes of the action.

Online reaction to the video was a mixture of condemnation and pleas for understanding.

The video, titled “Only in Quebec — snow plow” has received more than 115,000 views and 500 comments since being posted Dec. 22.

“I don’t know about you guys but I can clearly see what they’re scooping up there: Money. (By the way) austerity measures on the way, because there’s no extra money around!” wrote one user.

While some slammed Montreal’s snow removal service and the public sector union representing them, others floated explanations such as training, practicing routes or salting the sidewalks.

Snow removal in Montreal came under fire this year when Maisonneuve magazine made the service the subject of its December 2011 cover story.

The story investigates bid-rigging in the snow removal industry, comparing it to the construction industry, which is currently undergoing a two-year public inquiry over complaints of corruption.

Godfather
12-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Hey, practice makes perfect right :lol:

FBD
12-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Why am I not surprised its a public sector union...

Hal-9000
12-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I hate seeing this shite...the last two civic elections in this city have used snow removal as a budget cutback excuse...

an alderman said - we (as a city) need to take defensive driving courses, buy snow tires and just not leave the house if the conditions become too bad....

HULLOOO???? We live in Canadian city where it snows for over half the calendar year.Snowfall is nothing NEW to us ffs :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Move to Montreal :tup:

Hal-9000
12-28-2011, 07:56 PM
If I EVER saw that live driving down the street...I would seriously beat the driver with a snow shovel

Teh One Who Knocks
12-28-2011, 08:07 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
12-28-2011, 08:15 PM
You know what they're doing...trying to pad the budget out so next year they still have coverage.Which is not a bad thing, all companies to it to some degree with spending.

But to blatantly drive down the street and pull that shit??? :lol: Takes balls....all I can say is that for the next 100 snowfalls those Montreal streets better be dry as a bone or people will form a lynch mob....they rarely forget seeing crap like that.

Acid Trip
12-28-2011, 08:26 PM
How much do you want to bet that one or more people in the snow removal department got overtime these last few weeks despite the lack of snow? After all, they've got proof they were out "working"!

Hal-9000
12-28-2011, 08:28 PM
That's it....then they can present that part of the budget for 2012 and say - 12 million was spent in 2011 for snow removal

fcuking heathens! :x