PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Albums of 2011 (From various reviewers)

Godfather
12-28-2011, 02:40 AM
Pitchfork (my favorite reviewers)
10. The Weeknd - House of Balloons
9. Real Estate - Days
8. Drake - Take Care
7. tUnE-yArDs - w h o k i l l
6. Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica
5. Girls - Father, Son and the Holy Ghost
4. PJ Harvey: Let England Shake
3. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (GF's Favorite)
2. Destroyer - Kaputt
1. Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Rolling Stone
10. Robbie Robertson - How to Become Clairvoyant
9.Wild Flag - Wild Flag
8. Wilco - The Whole Love
7. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
6. Lady Gaga - Born This Way
5. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
4. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
3. Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What
2. Jay-Z and Kanye West - Watch the Throne
1. Adele - 21

Spin
10. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
9. Wild Flag - Wild Flag
8. G-Side - The One...Cohesive
7. The Rapture - In the Grace of Your Love
6. Danny Brown - XXX
5. Girls - Father Son, Holy Ghost
4. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo
3. EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints
2. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
1. Fucked Up - David Comes to Life

Paste Magazine
10. The Decemberists – The King Is Dead
9. M83 – Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming
8. Dawes – Nothing Is Wrong
7. Wilco – The Whole Love
6. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. – It’s A Corporate World
5. Middle Brother – Middle Brother
4. tUnE-yArDs – w h o k i l l
3. My Morning Jacket – Circuital
2. Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
1. Bon Iver – Bon Iver

Southern Belle
12-28-2011, 03:08 AM
Going to check a few of those out.

Godfather
12-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Going to check a few of those out.

M83's album Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is my favorite. Really chill, good music.
Bon Iver's self titled sophomore album is great too,
Destroyer's (from Vancouver!) album Kaputt is a great one
As is Girls, and Real Estate

I'd check those ones out, great new music

Southern Belle
12-28-2011, 03:36 AM
I will hon!

JoeyB
12-28-2011, 05:58 AM
I would rather drill a rusty nail through my penis than listen to all but two of the above.

Goofy
12-28-2011, 07:14 AM
I would rather drill a rusty nail through my penis than listen to all but two of the above.

Ditto........ think ive only heard of 3 or 4 in the entire list

JoeyB
12-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Ditto........ think ive only heard of 3 or 4 in the entire list

You know it's bad when you can't even tell what is the artist name and what is the album name, cases in point:

The Weeknd - House of Balloons
Real Estate - Days
tUnE-yArDs - w h o k i l l

I had to scroll down and find an artist I had heard of just to suss that part out.

Face it Goofy...we are not the target audience for most of today's commercial releases. We are too old, as in, we have pubes.

Godfather
12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I don't care if Joey doesn't like this music, but my speech is ...

My girlfriend's father is a brilliant, cultured, 60 year old doctor with slight Asperger's, who owns all of these albums :lol: He has reviewed music since the days of the Beatles and Stones... and loves modern rock. He even writes his own reviews that are usually similar to Pitchfork. It really brings us together. There's no such thing as a target audience when it comes to good music, though I hear that and 'they don't make good music anymore,' all the time when people are too lazy to discover something new.

You could give Bon Iver or M83 a couple listens. It won't kill you.

Hal-9000
12-28-2011, 07:09 PM
I saw P.J. Harvey live as the warm up act for U2..

probably one of the lamest opening acts I've ever seen...she just about got booed off the stage

Hal-9000
12-28-2011, 07:10 PM
where's Nickelback?

:lol:

Muddy
12-28-2011, 07:16 PM
LOOK AT THIS PHOTOOOOGRAPH!!!!! oOO OOOAH OOOO.. :squeak fart:

Hal-9000
12-28-2011, 07:19 PM
GF loves Nickelback, he's been to 27 of their concerts :thumbsup:

Muddy
12-28-2011, 07:33 PM
They're a joke around these parts.. Im sorry GF..

Hal-9000
12-28-2011, 07:45 PM
I like the firefox add-on that eliminates all references to Nickelback from web pages :lol:

JoeyB
12-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't care if Joey doesn't like this music, but my speech is ...

My girlfriend's father is a brilliant, cultured, 60 year old doctor with slight Asperger's, who owns all of these albums :lol: He has reviewed music since the days of the Beatles and Stones... and loves modern rock. He even writes his own reviews that are usually similar to Pitchfork. It really brings us together. There's no such thing as a target audience when it comes to good music, though I hear that and 'they don't make good music anymore,' all the time when people are too lazy to discover something new.

There is a target audience. Some people fall out of that target group and enjoy it anyway, but make no mistake, it exists within the business model of music, and it always has. Just because only two of the above artists on the list fall within my 'like spectrum' doesn't make me too lazy to investigate new music (kind of an insulting suggestion). It's just that I find most of the 'new' music I discover as the years go on just happens to be older, more obscure stuff. I was only expressing my opinion, no need to feel threatened by that. You are free to enjoy whatever you like as am I. Goofy felt the same way. The above just wasn't for us.

Not liking the newest, most popular stuff is not an act of esthetic malfeasance, it's just a matter of personal taste. Liking the newest music is, conversely, also not a crime.

Unless it's Justin Beiber of course, in which case, fuck you. Note to twelve year old girls: that's not a request, it's an insult.

Goofy
12-28-2011, 10:37 PM

Just had a listen to a couple of tracks on youtube....... not my cup of tea. Everyone has different tastes and opinions, that's what makes music so good - there's something out there for everyone. I'm basically an old school rock'n'roll fan, the Stones, the Who, that kind of thing........ but i also love certain songs from other genres of music, if its good its good whether it be rock, pop, rap, classical.

For instance, i listen to this song on a regular basis - its totally sublime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrfvP11Hbo

JoeyB
12-28-2011, 11:03 PM
That is a lovely song Goofy. I like the version he does with Sarah Brightman. It's lush, a piece of modern music that feels more like something from the romantic era of classical music (my favorite!).

I'm always attracted to music that isn't ugly though.

Muddy
12-28-2011, 11:09 PM
I like the version he does with the White Stripes...

deebakes
12-28-2011, 11:56 PM
thanks for the lists... might need to check more of these out :-k

Godfather
12-29-2011, 03:59 AM
Fair enough Joey, I get that. I'm just a crusader for independent music, always have been... it usually doesn't get its fair shake.

Justin Vernon is a Bocelli of his own genre... this song to me is just as beautiful in a different way :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrMmr1oMPGA

Muddy
12-29-2011, 11:30 AM
GF, have you really been to 27 Nickelback shows?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-29-2011, 11:42 AM
I like all kinds of music and I really hate it when people automatically put down someone because of what kinds of music they like without giving it a go. About the only music I don't like is opera, other than that I like a little bit of everything. That's why I don't understand all the hate for Nickelback. I like them and they are good at what they do. Are they my favorite band? Of course not, but I still like their music. I think it's just trendy for people to diss Nickelback for some reason.

That said, I listened to 3 different songs by Bon Iver and 3 songs by M83....not for me at all. :thumbsdown: But I did give them a fair chance, I always go into new music with the hope that I will like it. :)

But I will be trying some of the others on the list probably this weekend. I always like discovering new groups to listen to, so thanks for the lists GF :tup:

And as for the lists, I can't believe that RS Magazine has Adele at #1....most overrated album (and singer) of the year if you ask me.

Muddy
12-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm going to check a few out as well... With this XM radio in my truck my exposure to lots of different musics as really been broadened..

Teh One Who Knocks
12-29-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm just a crusader for independent music, always have been... it usually doesn't get its fair shake.

I can agree with that, however, there is a lot of 'mainstream' music out there that people automatically put down and won't listen to because it's 'commercial music'. A lot of all this crap I blame on hipsters that are "too cool" to listen to anything popular. :rolleyes:

Godfather
12-29-2011, 04:41 PM
GF, have you really been to 27 Nickelback shows?

:lol: No, haven't been to one. I will say this though, as much as I dislike 'Chad' and their music, I heard a cool story about them that made me kinda ease off...

Their most recent album came out this year I believe, and when it did the band realized that the first 800,000 copies had Nickelback spelled incorrectly - it's supposed to be nickel not nickle (or vice versa). So the band said they wouldn't sue the record label if they gave Nickelback's charity which builds wells in Africa $100,000. So done deal. Well, with corruption being as bad as it is, one of the band members (not Chad), took the money in small bills, hopped on a plane to Africa and actually had the balls to wonder around with thousands and thousands of dollars. Not to mention that it's illegal to enter a country without declaring that kind of money. But he built a bunch of Wells for thirsty Africans and came home when the money ran out. Pretty cool story...

Godfather
12-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I can agree with that, however, there is a lot of 'mainstream' music out there that people automatically put down and won't listen to because it's 'commercial music'. A lot of all this crap I blame on hipsters that are "too cool" to listen to anything popular. :rolleyes:

For sure, I won't argue with that. I won't lie and say there isn't a ton of Top 40 stuff on my mp3 player :mrgreen:

Mainstream is tough though because the radios wreck every decent song. It's the same 30 songs, 4 times a day :wha: It's enough to drive me mental.

Even the Classic Rock radio stations are guilty of that.... after 30-40 years, they still only play 10 Beatles or Zepplin or Stones songs. Why not rotate the B-side stuff, play everything.

Joebob034
12-29-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't like Nickelback cuz they have same generic sound that all the "rock" bands have these days and all their songs sound the same. I will say I've seen them in many interviews and they seem like cool guys, it's just I think their music sucks.

JoeyB
12-29-2011, 09:44 PM
I like all kinds of music and I really hate it when people automatically put down someone because of what kinds of music they like without giving it a go.

A lot of all this crap I blame on hipsters that are "too cool" to listen to anything popular. :rolleyes:

:-k

Even the Classic Rock radio stations are guilty of that.... after 30-40 years, they still only play 10 Beatles or Zepplin or Stones songs. Why not rotate the B-side stuff, play everything.

This is how I discover new music...by filtering past the 'same 10' as you call it and looking for rarities. The other thing I do is find similar acts or even just dig into genres as a whole. Most of the stuff I enjoy is incredibly antiquated, far older than what is considered 'oldies' by radio. Radio does nothing for me these days, it's all corporate and the same tunes spun by different named but oddly similar hosts. I remember this always being the case to a degree, but there was a time you could scan through the dial and find half a dozen songs you'd never heard before. Now, you just find the same half dozen songs.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Okay, just gave tUnE-yArDs a shot...played 3 songs by them. They were awful :wha:

Then I tried Oneohtrix Point Never....all I can say is, :wtf:

3 songs, no lyrics, just noise....and this is something that makes a top 10 CD's of the year list? :wha:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-30-2011, 01:07 AM
For sure, I won't argue with that. I won't lie and say there isn't a ton of Top 40 stuff on my mp3 player :mrgreen:

Mainstream is tough though because the radios wreck every decent song. It's the same 30 songs, 4 times a day :wha: It's enough to drive me mental.

No argument from me there...and I think you are giving the classic rock stations too much credit...it's more like the same 3 Beatles songs, the same 4 Zeppelin songs, the same 4 Stones songs. One of the classic rock stations here, 103.5 The Fox, will sometimes during the day play a "Deep Cut" from an artist....and then when it comes on it ends up being a mainstream song from the band :|

Southern Belle
12-30-2011, 01:14 AM
No argument from me there...and I think you are giving the classic rock stations too much credit...it's more like the same 3 Beatles songs, the same 4 Zeppelin songs, the same 4 Stones songs. One of the classic rock stations here, 103.5 The Fox, will sometimes during the day play a "Deep Cut" from an artist....and then when it comes on it ends up being a mainstream song from the band :|
The Fox here plays Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Journey some, AC/DC and no deep cuts. B O R I N G