PDA

View Full Version : My Laptop Fiasco

Pony
03-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Some of you remember I bought a laptop last June...well, I no longer have it. A close friend of mine lost his business (nightclub) last December and was left with nothing but debt, I offered to loan him my laptop for a few weeks so he could DJ a couple nights a week and keep food in his belly. Needless to say, that was more than three months ago and he still has no other source of income. After getting slightly annoyed only having visitation with my new toy on nights he worked I finally told him he needed to get his own. He replied, I've got this one set up the way I like it, how much to just buy it? I told him $700. I bought it for $529+tax+carrying case+mouse, I figure I have about that into it. He said fair deal and gave me $150 toward it last night.

Anyways, I've been shopping for a new laptop with similar specs, for 3 months now as I suspected either this would happen or I would need to buy him one. Just missed a deal this morning on a Gateway from Tigerdirect (I fell asleep on the couch instead of buying it when I had the chance :mrgreen:). Before giving up and waiting for the next opportunity I decided to make the rounds at all the sites to see if anything was new for Sunday.
Found a Toshiba at Officemax that looked like a great deal, ran up there to see and they didn't have one on display. Told the sales guy what I was looking for and after giving me a look like he was gonna call the men in white coats on me, he decided to look it up online, I helped him find it and believe it or not they actually had two in the stockroom. :dance:
I am now the proud owner of a Toshiba Satellite. :tup:

Full techie specs and a comparison to my former toy.

Old Laptop
New Laptop
Gateway NV7915u
Toshiba Satellite L675-S7108
Price $529+tax($649.99 MSRP)
$529+tax ($699.99 MSRP)
Screen- 17.3
Hard drive- 500GB 5400RPM Sata
500GB 5400RPM Sata
Memory- 4gig DDR3 1066MHz
4gig DDR3 1066MHz
Display- LED Backlit 1600x900
LED Backlit 1600x900
CPU Intel Core I3 330m @ 2.13ghz
Intel Core I3 380m @ 2.53ghz
USB 2.0 ports 4
2-USB (2.0) ports, 1-eSATA/USB combo port
1 HDMI
1 HDMI
Battery Life 3.7 hours
4.53 hours
Weight 7.4 lbs
6.6 lbs

Godfather
03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Nice :D Kind of sucks about your buddy but when he pays you back that sounds like a very fair deal

Strangely enough, my parents just bought almost the identical laptop. It's a Toshiba Satalite, think it's a smaller screen by a fair bit though. The i3 and ram make it a pretty quick little rig!

It's really nice and thin, and light. It's also got a metalic finish on the top which looks pretty. The keyboard set-up is a little foreign to me being a long-time dell-laptop user but it's all in all a nice finish!!

Sounds like a solid buy PP! :D

Pony
03-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks, I think I did pretty good. Yea, I just didn't have the heart to take my laptop back leaving him with no source of income.

All said and done I think I'm getting the better end of the deal. With the price I got it for I'll have about $650ish invested to replace everything, he's giving me $700 for essentially a used laptop. Plus I get a faster processor, an eSATA port, and slightly longer battery and lighter weight.

Pony
03-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Update: I've now realized that I really need to clean up my old laptop, it still has all my usernames and passwords for all my sites stored in the firefox profile. :doh:

Softdreamer
03-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Wouldnt it be easier to change your passwords?