PDA

View Full Version : Crime spree suspect says, 'Jesus made me do it'

Teh One Who Knocks
12-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Written by Jaclyn O’Malley - The Reno Gazette-Journal

http://i.imgur.com/UEycS.jpg

The 36-year-old Sparks man jailed on suspicion of an arson, shooting and vandalism spree — who says he targeted strip clubs, Sparks police, a Verdi post office and Reno Fourth Street motels — wants people to call him a “gangster,” an “assassin” and a “shadow.”

Justin Michael Bennett said he also thinks the labels of “vigilante” or religious “martyr” fits, too.

Bennett said during a Tuesday jailhouse interview with the Reno Gazette-Journal that he chose Christmas to act because it symbolized Jesus’ birthday and would incite the public to pay attention to his message of religious morality.

“People should be home with their families on Christmas and at church, not at the strip clubs,” he said, adding he also wanted to let Fourth Street motel managers know he did not approve of the drug and prostitution activities he believes occurs at their businesses.

Lt. Mohammad Rafaqat said Bennett will likely face federal criminal charges related to the destruction of the unoccupied Verdi post office, although no federal charges had yet been filed Tuesday. Rafaqat said Bennett told investigators he left anti-government graffiti on the post office to throw off police.

It was not known if Bennett was assigned an attorney yet, but authorities said he had a video arraignment Tuesday morning at Washoe County Jail. He is being held there in lieu of $50,000 cash bail and is charged with two counts of discharging a firearm into a building, first-degree arson and burglary. While he listed no employment with police, he claimed he is a land developer.

Bennett told the Reno Gazette-Journal that he is guilty of all the crimes alleged by police.

He said Tuesday that “Jesus” spoke to him through his heart and directed all of his violence, which caused no injuries. He said he intentionally picked unoccupied businesses or shot at unoccupied vehicles parked outside strip clubs.

However, Bennett also said he was angry at two of the strip clubs he targeted for incidents that allegedly occurred two years ago while he was a customer. He said that after one club stole $400 from him and another kicked him out after a woman punched him, his estranged wife left him and took their two children, now ages 2 and 12, out of the state.

“I’m sorry, I feel guilty ... I have no regrets,” he said of his spree. “It had to be done. God has forgiven me already ... If I caused sorrow or pain, I apologize for that. I did victimize innocent people. But I had to do it.”

He first fired gunshots at the Sparks Police Department minutes before Christmas morning, and then about five hours later ignited fireworks inside the Verdi post office, he said. Bennett said he then went to his home which he had earlier destroyed on Jesus’ command, he claimed.

“There’s only so much (expletive) you can do in one night,” Bennett said. “I went to bed, and slept really good that night (Sunday morning).” He then explained how he dressed in dark clothing, like he normally does when he does “stuff,” and waited until it was dark to continue his spree.

“In daylight, you get caught, it’s just common sense,” Bennett said. “I’m kinda gangsta like that.”

Bennett said he was able to attend Christmas Mass in the morning at his congregation and seemed almost surprised the newspaper would ask such an obvious question.

While he said that Jesus recently told him to set the arsons and fire his .45-caliber handgun at the businesses and vehicles, he said he’s been warning his family for years that he was going to commit crimes like these. Because his street preaching wasn’t working, Bennett said he was taking his gospel “to the streets” through his crime spree.

“I was pissed,” he said of the lack of interest in his preaching. “I’m trying to get people salvation.”

Rafaqat said after gunshots were fired by a motorist at the Sparks Police Department and the arson was set at the Verdi post office, local and federal law enforcement officials quickly met to try to develop a suspect, and begin proactive investigations like the surveillance of businesses mentioned in threatening notes left by the shooter.

Rafaqat said it was obvious the suspect had a resentment toward the government and the incidents were somehow connected.

Bennett also went into the Wild Orchid Gentleman’s Club and gave the hostess a threatening note, accompanied with a bullet. He then said he went to the Spice House, broke inside and “slaughtered” bottles of alcohol before setting rags on fire with a lighter. He said he also fired gunshots into the strip club.

Bennett said he then drove over to Fantasy Girls strip club, where he shot at about seven parked cars.

After smearing white paint on the windows of two downtown motels and firing gunshots at one of them, Bennett was arrested by Reno police during a traffic stop minutes later, Rafaqat said. Bennett said he had also left a bullet and threatening notes at the motels, adding that the white paint was supposed to symbolize blood.
Inside his white pickup were a Bible and a large-caliber handgun police said was used in the shootings.

“You could tell he had anger toward the businesses he targeted,” Rafaqat said. “He was impulsive with his anger. He told us he did not intend on harming anyone, and picked businesses where he knew they would be vacant.

“We are thankful he is in custody,” he said. “His acts of violence were concerning us, and were consistent with acts of domestic terrorism.”

Hal-9000
12-29-2011, 02:27 AM
Yes Jesus really endorses thieving from your fellow man, harming his property and lying...

3 outta 10 right there Slick :lol: way to go

Loser
12-29-2011, 02:35 AM
Yes Jesus really endorses thieving from your fellow man, harming his property and lying...

3 outta 10 right there Slick :lol: way to go

Unintended bonus? That was one of my favorite movies :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
12-29-2011, 02:39 AM
I'm a little lost on the reference :oops:

is Unintended Bonus the name of a flick?

I call people that piss me off Slick or Einstein :lol:

Loser
12-29-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm a little lost on the reference :oops:

is Unintended Bonus the name of a flick?

I call people that piss me off Slick or Einstein :lol:

Tom sizemore, Heat 1995, silver hair like this douche and his nickname was "Slick" :lol: