PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Finalizes Sale of F-15s to Saudi Arabia

Teh One Who Knocks
12-30-2011, 12:37 PM
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/aXfZx.jpg

The sale of $30 billion worth of F-15SA fighter jets to Saudi Arabia has been finalized, boosting the military strength of a key U.S. ally in the Middle East to help counter Iran, the Obama administration announced Thursday.

Under the agreement, the U.S. will send Saudi Arabia 84 new fighter jets and upgrades for 70 more. Production of the aircrafts, which will be manufactured by Boeing Co., will support 50,000 jobs and have a $3.5 billion annual economic impact in the U.S., the White House said.

The sale is part of a larger U.S. effort to realign its defense policies in the Persian Gulf to keep Iran in check. The announcement came as U.S. officials weighed a fresh threat from Tehran.

Tehran warned this week it could disrupt traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, a vital Persian Gulf oil transport route, if Washington levies new sanctions targeting Iran's crude exports.

The fighter jet sale is part of a larger 10-year, $60 billion arms deal with Saudi Arabia that also includes helicopters, a broad array of missiles, bombs and delivery systems, as well as radar warning systems and night-vision goggles. Congress gave the deal the go-ahead about a year ago.

The plan initially raised concerns from pro-Israeli lawmakers, but U.S. officials reassured Congress that Israel's military edge would not be undercut by the sale. Additionally, there is now broad agreement among Israel, the Gulf Arab states and the West that Iran poses a significant and unpredictable threat.

Saudi Arabia and Iran are bitter regional rivals. Tensions between them were further stoked earlier this year after the U.S. accused Iran of plotting to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the U.S. in Washington earlier this year.

Saudi Arabia is already the most militarily advanced of the Arab Gulf states, one of the richest countries in the world, and central to American policy in the Middle East. It is also vital to U.S. energy security, with Saudi Arabia ranking as the third-largest source of U.S. oil imports.

The White House announced the agreement with Saudi Arabia from Hawaii, where President Obama is vacationing.

Muddy
12-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Hmm, I dunno..

FBD
12-30-2011, 01:05 PM
I've always loved the style of the f15.

Muddy
12-30-2011, 01:06 PM
So is Russia now going to sell Iran 75 new migs?

Acid Trip
12-30-2011, 02:18 PM
I've always loved the style of the f15.

They look fly as hell but they're terribly outdated. Even with the most advanced electronics available they don't stand a chance against a 5th generation fighter.

Godfather
12-30-2011, 04:57 PM
They are still going to. They're in talks for the F-35.

But the F-15 is still probably suitable for the threats surrounding the Kingdom. Iran has no 5th gen fighters. And their airforce looks pretty on the tarmac but in reality it'd be annihilated by the Saudis, Americans and Israeli's in hours. The only 5th even in service now is the F-22, and there are only ~120 of those on the friendly side.

The Chinese and Russian 5th gen fighters like the J-20 are still a decade away too.

I'm glad Canada is buying F-35's, but in some ways I wish we'd spend some money and get a large unit of 4th gen fighters for dirt cheap.

Leefro
12-30-2011, 05:04 PM
I have heard that Ryan Air is after a couple of these babies

JoeyB
12-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Hey Saudi Arabia, you continue to be a backwater asshat country that suppresses human rights, treats America like your personal Mexico, promotes terrorism from the top down, and was in so many ways behind 9/11. In return, we'll give you hardcore military weaponry.

Godfather
12-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey Saudi Arabia, you continue to be a backwater asshat country that suppresses human rights, treats America like your personal Mexico, promotes terrorism from the top down, and was in so many ways behind 9/11. In return, we'll give you hardcore military weaponry.

But it's for cash and jobs! :lol: What else matters right... realpolitik?

beowulf
01-01-2012, 07:58 PM
They look fly as hell but they're terribly outdated.

yes and no

getting very old design now but upgrades have kept it in the game, but thats not just the reason why saudi want them. dont forget they have been flying f15 for nearly as long as the USAF.....if you have plenty of experience and the infra structure to fly something why make an expensive change to something else, especially when the f15 is more than suitable for the job