View Full Version : 'Transphobic' tampon ad draws criticism

Teh One Who Knocks
01-03-2012, 12:40 PM
3 News (New Zealand)

http://i.imgur.com/kHMpC.jpg

Tampon maker Libra has been branded "outrageously transphobic" over its new ad implying transgender people are not real women because they don't menstruate.

The television commercial depicts a drag queen character and a blonde woman standing side by side in nightclub restroom putting on mascara and lip gloss, and adjusting their bras competitively.

The blonde woman then pulls out her Libra tampon, leaving the drag queen to storm out of the toilets in a huff.

The ad, which wraps with the catch phrase "Libra gets girls", has faced a storm of criticism, with dozens posting harsh comments on the company's Facebook page.

One woman, Gabeh Lissette Gutierrez, posted: "I'm not sure what is more disgusting, the blatant transphobia or the inclination that a period is what defines a woman's femininity.

"Seriously, what were you thinking?"

Another poster, Miserys Malice, hit out at the "get girls" phrase, writing: "So, for the females who've gone through the likes of menopause or hysterectomies I suppose Libra failed to `get those girls'?"

"Having an advertising campaign where some snooty-nosed woman is going to resort to whipping out her feminine hygiene product in the face of someone who doesn't have a menstrual cycle therefore rendering her a winner, maybe was in bad taste and poor form."

A handful of supporters, all men, defended the ad, saying the criticisms were political correctness gone crazy.

But female critics hit back, saying the ad was likely written by men who, obviously, neither menstruate nor buy Libra products.

SCA, which owns the brand, has yet to respond to media calls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6lReX1dAUAE

redred
01-03-2012, 01:04 PM
:lol:

MrsM
01-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Ok - I actually thought that was funny...

I guess that makes me a bad person/woman/menstruater :sad2:

RBP
01-03-2012, 03:33 PM
I don't find it transphobic. I thought it was funny too.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-03-2012, 03:44 PM
You guys hate trannys :hand:

Muddy
01-03-2012, 03:51 PM
3 News (New Zealand)

http://i.imgur.com/kHMpC.jpg

Tampon maker Libra has been branded "outrageously transphobic" over its new ad implying transgender people are not real women because they don't menstruate.

They arent "real women".. GTFO of here ... :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Hal loves teh tranny

Hal-9000
01-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Ok - I actually thought that was funny...

I guess that makes me a bad person/woman/menstruater :sad2:

3 for 3 on all accounts...they kinda go hand in hand :shock:

:dance:

Hal-9000
01-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Hal loves teh tranny

:hand: Only ones with 7" or more.

That commercial nails it...what other product can be and should be specifically targeted at women?

deebakes
01-04-2012, 02:28 AM
:lol:

Griffin
01-04-2012, 02:37 AM
You guys hate trannys :hand:

trannys suck!