PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

DemonGeminiX
01-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I really need to come in here more often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

Softdreamer
01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Id like to see the spec of the system running this demo...

Godfather
01-05-2012, 04:46 PM
It looks like the Xbox dashboard... pretty huge leap away from the Windows I know. I'm nervous. Is this Windows ME/Vista again?

samarchepas
01-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Its ALWAYS the same thing with Windows...1 good and then 1 bad then 1 good... (98,2000/ME,XP,Vista,7...)

PorkChopSandwiches
01-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Its ALWAYS the same thing with Windows...1 good and then 1 bad then 1 good... (98,2000/ME,XP,Vista,7...)

Yep, every other one, its like they release the first one in beta and fix it with the next one

samarchepas
01-05-2012, 06:25 PM
They make money off the "beta"...Fix it THEN release it! (One of the reasons I hate Micro$oft.)

Softdreamer
01-05-2012, 06:44 PM
after looking around, they claim they can run W8 on :-

CPU: 1 GHz or faster
RAM: 1 GB ( for 32-bit) and 2 GB (for 64-bit)
Hard disk: 16 GB (for 32-bit) and 20 GB (for 64-bit)

I seriously doubt it would run that smooth and snazzy on that hardware.

In my experience, touchscreen usage is useless on slow hardware. This could be W8's biggest downfall.

MrsM
01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
http://hostingc.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-12/27532u5w5qq.jpg

Acid Trip
01-05-2012, 09:23 PM
http://hostingc.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-12/27532u5w5qq.jpg

:rofl:

DemonGeminiX
01-05-2012, 11:30 PM

I dunno what you're talking about. Windows ME sucked but Windows 2000 was the bomb. I kept that instead of upgrading to XP and Vista before upgrading my entire system and getting 7.

Hal-9000
01-05-2012, 11:42 PM
I miss XP :(

Teh One Who Knocks
:facepalm:

Teh One Who Knocks
I dunno what you're talking about. Windows ME sucked but Windows 2000 was the bomb. I kept that instead of upgrading to XP and Vista before upgrading my entire system and getting 7.

:huh:

Hal-9000
01-05-2012, 11:47 PM
:facepalm:

At least when you set up two user accounts, XP knew enough to keep the limited user settings from seeing all of the admin user's stuff.

I couldn't believe that when I saw it last weekend :lol: My Dad only needed to click on computer/local disk/users and then my name for full access to all of my documents and stuff on my desktop.Not a good default setup.I had to go in and make my folder 'private' and lock it.Wtf...

Teh One Who Knocks
01-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Don't you have your account password protected?

Hal-9000
01-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Both accounts are passworded :lol:

That's what blew me away.Set up all of the stuff on my side, then went in and created him, did his browser, email etc and thought - I wonder just what sort of things good ol Pa can see from this side?

:shock: It was like an open pipeline right through the fuggin pc.I had everything in the OS as default after an install, me as the admin, him as a standard user.

Hal-9000
01-05-2012, 11:58 PM
there was even a little red lock on the 'hal' folder, from the user folder.Come to think of it there was a little red lock on his folder name too..

Teh One Who Knocks
01-05-2012, 11:59 PM
If the account is password protected, even someone with another admin account can't see what's stored in your folders. It gets to a certain point and it will tell you that access is denied

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Are you talking about the main logon with the picture and name being password protected?

That's what I did for both accounts and I saw all of my stuff through his side of the pc.In fact, it inspired me to google ' how to make a folder private ' .

I'll look at his side tonight through mine, I don't think that's right what you mentioned.

DemonGeminiX
01-06-2012, 12:08 AM
:huh:

:nono:

Don't :huh: me. Win2k was awesome.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Are you talking about the main logon with the picture and name being password protected?

That's what I did for both accounts and I saw all of my stuff through his side of the pc.In fact, it inspired me to google ' how to make a folder private ' .

I'll look at his side tonight through mine, I don't think that's right what you mentioned.

I know for a fact it is because that's how I have the new PC set up that I bought for my dad...and it's the same way the old one was set up. You can get to a certain point and as long as the other person is logged off and the account is password protected, you will get an access denied notice.

If it didn't do that, then what would be the point of having separate user accounts?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2012, 12:10 AM
:nono:

Don't :huh: me. Win2k was awesome.

:drunkpost:

DemonGeminiX
01-06-2012, 12:14 AM
:drunkpost:

:slap:

[-(

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 12:21 AM
I know for a fact it is because that's how I have the new PC set up that I bought for my dad...and it's the same way the old one was set up. You can get to a certain point and as long as the other person is logged off and the account is password protected, you will get an access denied notice.

If it didn't do that, then what would be the point of having separate user accounts?

I can post some screens tonight if you'd like? :lol: Counter to your question, what's the point of being an administrator on a pc if you only get limited access to the accounts? That's a little silly IMO.

I'm interested in this 'certain point'. Once I can get to My Documents it's pretty much game over :lol:

I'll have a look when I get home tonight and let you know.I am admin, he is standard and both accounts are passworded.I'll go in as me and show you his stuff.

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 12:23 AM
and further to that, once I made my named folder a private folder, it stopped him right there...as soon as I clicked on my folder's name.But only after going through the process of making all folders and subfolders private under my main folder with my name.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
I added another admin account

http://i.imgur.com/kTlwf.jpg

And this is what you get when I try and access my account from the test account

http://i.imgur.com/KOtrT.jpg

If you click continue to take possession of the files that you don't have access to, then the other user will get an error when he/she tries to access their folders and will know somebody has been snooping

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Yeah but isn't that two admin accounts, one without password?

I gotta go, I'll let you know what I see in about an hour, thanks.

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 01:57 AM
I installed Win7, set myself up as admin and Dad as standard user.

On these screens I'm testing how far an admin can go.Everything on the user accounts is default, just as Home Premium installs them.

I click on computer/users/My Dad folder and it opens up everything from his desktop to all of his documents and folders.Full access :-k

http://i.imgur.com/TbKZq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UY9js.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cjk9p.jpg

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 01:59 AM
http://i.imgur.com/LDePB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/V1L4Y.jpg

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 02:10 AM
There's nothing of mine in the shared folders, I would guess that you have to set that up somewhere?

On the other side of things, I logged on as him (standard user) and went to computer/users/hal....and he could do the same.This was right after install with passworded accounts.

To prevent him from doing this I had to right click on the hal user folder, bring up properties/security...choose my account, then choose his account and change the setting below to deny for that particular folder of mine.
That's how I know Windows set it up that way from install.

http://i.imgur.com/nvzKR.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2012, 02:13 AM
:dunno:

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 02:20 AM
It kinda freaked me out.I don't keep a lot of overly sensitive info on my pc...I also don't need my father hitting the wrong folder and seeing certain pics or videos I may have that particular day :lol:

The more I think about how it gets set up, the more offended I get.What if I had a 7 year old child? Or a nosy (but well-meaning) wife?

The entire 'access any file on this pc" for two different types of users defeats the purpose.He is restricted from installing most things and uninstalling...that's about it.

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 02:28 AM
Two posts in here describe the exact circumstance.I wonder if there's another difference in our OS's Lance, because one of the users below says his environment gets set up differently too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/6419-63-make-windows-user-folder-private

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2012, 02:30 AM
I dunno, seems bizarre :-k

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 02:32 AM
I wonder what those little red locks are on the user folders.They were both there before I denied permission on my user folder.

They sure aren't for security purposes :lol:

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 02:47 AM
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/114523-standard-user-can-access-admins-files.html

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 02:56 AM
a weird little tiff breaks out here :lol: Strange behavior for a Windows help techie....

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/user-account-privacy-my-daughterstandard-user-can/5fb564df-1e0f-462f-9cb8-894d08ffa271?page=1

Hal-9000
01-06-2012, 03:17 AM
thanks for taking the time and trying the experiment Lance

Softdreamer
01-06-2012, 09:12 AM
<<<<< still uses XP

Have yet to find something vista or W7 can do that I cant. W8 has multi touch, thats the only thing that may swing me to upgrade (to a free version of course :rolleyes: )

Loser
01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
<<<<< still uses XP

So does 46.5% of windows users. :lol:

Loser
01-08-2012, 02:55 PM
My question is, what's with the dumbing down of operating systems lately? I mean, I understand that the vast majority of people are fking idiots, but this continuing trend of "web os" type interfaces is sicking. My computer is not a fking smart phone, nor do I want it to be. It's not just windows this is happening to either. It's happening in the linux world as well with Gnome3 and Ubuntu Unity.

Bleh.

samarchepas
01-08-2012, 08:15 PM
My question is, what's with the dumbing down of operating systems lately? I mean, I understand that the vast majority of people are fking idiots, but this continuing trend of "web os" type interfaces is sicking. My computer is not a fking smart phone, nor do I want it to be. It's not just windows this is happening to either. It's happening in the linux world as well with Gnome3 and Ubuntu Unity.

Bleh.
Moved on from Gnome 3 to KDE (Loved Gnome 2...HATE Gnome 3...and I won't even talk about Unity :lol: )

Loser
01-09-2012, 04:08 AM
Moved on from Gnome 3 to KDE (Loved Gnome 2...HATE Gnome 3...and I won't even talk about Unity :lol: )

I know that feeling man. I'm on Mint Debian now, which is still gnome 2 on the stable repo, but I've been checking out what the mint team has been doing with cinnamon and mate.

I don't 'hate' gnome3 per se, but it's lack of certain features, like themes and customizations, have made me not use it. Greatest feature gnome 2 had were panel applets, and that was tanked in g3 :(

KDE is, as it's always been to me, too much. I've tried kubuntu, but just couldn't get into it.

DemonGeminiX
01-09-2012, 05:52 AM

Bleh.

I'm currently reading the FreeBSD documentation and I'm floored. When I first started learning computers back in the 90s, I was learning on a UNIX machine. I keep shaking my head reading the FreeBSD documentation, thinking to myself "I used to know all this stuff"...

:lol:

Godfather
01-09-2012, 07:41 AM

Bleh.

I don't get it either... everything is getting more technologically advanced, and yet more geared towards morons. When people tell me "but Mac is so much more simple", I have to bite my tongue not to ask them if they'd like me to talk down to their level too.

Loser
01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm currently reading the FreeBSD documentation and I'm floored. When I first started learning computers back in the 90s, I was learning on a UNIX machine. I keep shaking my head reading the FreeBSD documentation, thinking to myself "I used to know all this stuff"...

You think that's bad, check out linux from scratch or gentoo :lol:

Even I don't fk with that shit.

I mean, I like linux, but I don't need to build that shit from kernel to gui :lmao:

Acid Trip
01-09-2012, 04:51 PM

I mean, I like linux, but I don't need to build that shit from kernel to gui :lmao:

But the kernel ultimately determines how well the OS will perform. You have to start there if you want to build a better mousetrap.

BTW your new signature picture shows "Thebasement.com" when it's "Tehbasement.com"

Loser
01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
But the kernel ultimately determines how well the OS will perform. You have to start there if you want to build a better mousetrap.

BTW your new signature picture shows "Thebasement.com" when it's "Tehbasement.com"

You bastard you noticed :x

Now I gotta fix it :(

DemonGeminiX
01-09-2012, 10:50 PM

Hal-9000
01-09-2012, 11:28 PM
*points at loser*

:haha:

samarchepas
01-10-2012, 12:24 AM

I LOVE Linux BUT I want the OS to work for me..not the other way around :lol: (LFS, Gentoo, Slackware,FreeBSD are not an option for me :lol:...On OpenSUSE 12.1 right now)