PDA

View Full Version : 'Lady Chinky Eyes': Papa John's Store Calls Woman Racial Slur In Receipt

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2012, 02:09 PM
The Huffington Post

http://i.imgur.com/TLfMc.jpg

Minhee Cho went to Papa John's for some fast food goodness. Little did she know, she would get it served with a side of racism.

At around 12:30 p.m. today, Papa John's customer Minhee Cho tweeted a photo of a receipt she received at a Papa John's restaurant in uptown, New York City.

In it, under the customer's name section, the restaurant employee who rang up the order used the racial slur "lady chinky eyes" to describe her.

http://i.imgur.com/1K5TY.png

http://i.imgur.com/AW7Sm.jpg

Cho posted the photo to her Twitter page, where it was quickly retweeted by hundreds of people. By 3 p.m., the photo had been viewed over 25,000 times.

When The Huffington Post reached the Papa John's in question for comment, the assistant manager -- who only gave her first name as Marjani -- said she was unaware of the incident.

"I apologize," she said in a phone interview. "I'm sure they didn't mean any harm but some people will take it offensive." She added that she "had an idea of who it was," based on the time of the receipt.

Marjani went on to say that this was the kind of behavior that would result in disciplinary action, but declined to go into further detail on what she planned to do.

Papa John's has yet to respond to the incident in a statement or its Facebook and Twitter accounts, but with such a PR disaster on their hands, they most likely will soon.

UPDATE: Papa John's has responded to the incident on Facebook. A post on its official page reads:

We were extremely concerned to learn of the receipt issue in New York. This act goes against our company values, and we've confirmed with the franchisee that this matter was addressed immediately and that the employee is being terminated. We are truly sorry for this customer's experience.

The company has also addressed the matter on its Twitter feed, tweeting to multiple people that "We have issued an apology, are reaching out to customer & franchise employee is being terminated."

RBP
01-08-2012, 03:55 PM
People have no sense of humor any more. 8-[

deebakes
01-08-2012, 04:03 PM
wow :shock:

Godfather
01-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Oops... that's pretty bad

Still... Papa John's is so good :lol: Wish we had more of them up here, I always get their thin crust when I'm south of the border.

Southern Belle
01-08-2012, 11:38 PM
A place I used to work order Papa John's all the time. The engineering manager ordered food for some customers to be delivered after hours to the break room at the back of the building. The receipt had for the name "Back door Pam" :lol:

Loser
01-08-2012, 11:40 PM
:lol:

Southern Belle
01-08-2012, 11:43 PM
We laughed about it for days. One of the engineers even saved the receipt. :lol:

Loser
01-08-2012, 11:45 PM
I would of framed it and put it on the office wall :lol:

JoeyB
01-08-2012, 11:49 PM
An added layer of interest: apparently she is in a public relations. Two tweets before the papa john's one, she posted what the average salary in her field was and stated 'Guess I have nowhere to go but up!'.

Indeed. Ka-chink! Err, ka-ching...

Muddy
01-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Still... Papa John's is so good .

We disagree on this...

DemonGeminiX
01-09-2012, 01:22 AM
We disagree on this...

:+1:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Still... Papa John's is so good :lol: Wish we had more of them up here, I always get their thin crust when I'm south of the border.

Best chain pizza around here by far :tup:

Godfather
01-09-2012, 01:59 AM
We disagree on this...

Really? Hmm, the few times I've had it it has been very fresh, great crunchy thin crust, great toppings

Maybe they're inconsistent though, the one I ordered from in Vancouver was pretty bad for some reason.

deebakes
01-09-2012, 03:57 AM
i think papa johns is pretty decent :-k

Pony
01-09-2012, 12:28 PM
We disagree on this...

:+1:

+2
I don't care for it either.

Muddy
01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't say its horrible.. I've just had a couple bad experiences with them.. Maybe it's my local store that has lazy employees.

Shady
01-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Papa Johns has always been sub-par to me.

And from a food industry professional, lemme just say that racism, sexism, and any other type of ism that can be used to describe the derogatory jokes and language we have in kitchen/restaurant goes on. And its not just toward one gender or race. Its how we cope with an endless stream of crap coming our way every day. But normally we do it without the customers knowledge.

Joebob034
01-09-2012, 03:43 PM
And from a food industry professional, lemme just say that racism, sexism, and any other type of ism that can be used to describe the derogatory jokes and language we have in kitchen/restaurant goes on. And its not just toward one gender or race. Its how we cope with an endless stream of crap coming our way every day. But normally we do it without the customers knowledge.

:+1: I worked in food service for about 5 years and that exactly how it was. I like Papa John's BTW, but my fav pizza is definitely from a local store by my home. It could the worst pizza in the world and I would still eat however.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-09-2012, 03:53 PM
If I had to rate the pizza chains here locally it would go:

Papa John's
Dominos (who have vastly improved here lately...if they weren't so expensive, I would rate them ahead of Papa John's)
Blackjacks (local Colorado pizza chain)
Pizza Hut

Teh One Who Knocks
01-09-2012, 03:54 PM
It could the worst pizza in the world and I would still eat however.

This ^^

A pizza would have to be completely inedible before I wouldn't eat it. I've suffered through some pretty bland and tasteless pizza before.

Joebob034
01-09-2012, 03:55 PM
my fav chain pizza is Pizza Hut aka Pizza Slut

Teh One Who Knocks
01-09-2012, 03:56 PM
my fav chain pizza is Pizza Hut aka Pizza Slut

The local Pizza Hut here is awful

Acid Trip
01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
:+1: I worked in food service for about 5 years and that exactly how it was. I like Papa John's BTW, but my fav pizza is definitely from a local store by my home. It could the worst pizza in the world and I would still eat however.

I worked in the food industry for 3 months when I was 17 and that was long enough to know it wasn't for me.

Muddy
01-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Heres my list...

Most Local pizza joints
Papa
Pizza Hut
Dominerds

Godfather
01-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I worked in the food industry for 3 months when I was 17 and that was long enough to know it wasn't for me.

Same, I did my time working for two summers, and saturdays during the school year in high school for about 18 months. It was a nice bistro, but the people there were the most depressed, angry, grumpy sons of bitches I ever met :lol: After being there a year and a half the turn over was easily 150-200%. I saw grown men and women cry, fight, flip out, walk off the job, burn or cut themselves miserably...

My aspirations of becoming a chef disappeared very quickly. Wouldn't have lasted so long if I wasn't being paid 14$/hr as a 16-17yr old, that was great.

perrhaps
01-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Why the hell would anybody who lived in NYC order a pizza from PapaJohn's?

JoeyB
01-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Why the hell would anybody who lived in NYC order a pizza from PapaJohn's?

She's slanty eyed. What does she know about Italian food.

Muddy
01-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Anyone still have 'Godfathers Pizza' in their hood?

perrhaps
01-09-2012, 09:41 PM
She's slanty eyed. What does she know about Italian food.

My wife's Asian. You, on the other hand, are *censored-Pony*.

JoeyB
01-09-2012, 09:59 PM
My wife's Asian. You, on the other hand, are just an *******.

You know I meant that as a joke based purely on the incidence with the receipt, right?

Shady
01-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Same, I did my time working for two summers, and saturdays during the school year in high school for about 18 months. It was a nice bistro, but the people there were the most depressed, angry, grumpy sons of bitches I ever met :lol: After being there a year and a half the turn over was easily 150-200%. I saw grown men and women cry, fight, flip out, walk off the job, burn or cut themselves miserably...

My aspirations of becoming a chef disappeared very quickly. Wouldn't have lasted so long if I wasn't being paid 14$/hr as a 16-17yr old, that was great.

Being a chef isn't the glorious job that TV makes it out to be. Most days it can be straight hell on earth. And yes i've seen and experienced pretty much every thing you described up above. We are crazy mother fuckers that are in it for life. We do it because of the passion for food and that way of life. But I love it so. I was watching Waiting... yesterday and I found myself really missing having a job, especially in a kitchen like that (currently unemployed). I'm not right in the head for loving the food industry, am I?

Hal-9000
01-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Papa Johns has always been sub-par to me.

this FTW...I can't believe employees would be allowed to put racial crap like that on a receipt in the first place.

why does this remind me of another place, another story featuring a large black woman? :-k

the employees in that story were just as insensitive and idiotic

JoeyB
01-09-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm not right in the head for loving the food industry, am I?

No but in all fairness we could list a dozen other reasons you aren't right in the head either.

deebakes
01-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Anyone still have 'Godfathers Pizza' in their hood?

i like godfather's from time to time... they have a really awesome taco pizza :tup:

JoeyB
01-10-2012, 12:12 AM
i like godfather's from time to time... they have a really awesome taco pizza :tup:

Spooky...I was just wondering where you were and then I opened this thread back up...

deebakes
01-10-2012, 12:27 AM
:shock:

:dance::cheerlead:

Acid Trip
01-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Being a chef isn't the glorious job that TV makes it out to be. Most days it can be straight hell on earth. And yes i've seen and experienced pretty much every thing you described up above. We are crazy mother fuckers that are in it for life. We do it because of the passion for food and that way of life. But I love it so. I was watching Waiting... yesterday and I found myself really missing having a job, especially in a kitchen like that (currently unemployed). I'm not right in the head for loving the food industry, am I?

One of my best friends is a chef at a high end restaurant here in town.

He worked about in just about every restaurant chain (Applebees, Chilis, Old Chicago, etc) before he got the job he has now. The really good cooking jobs are out there so if you love food don't give up the search. Every time the head chef shows him a new recipe he calls me right away so we can talk about it.

On Sunday he's going to teach my wife and I how to make the most amazing scallops. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Joebob034
01-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I was watching Waiting... yesterday and I found myself really missing having a job

whoever wrote that movie definitely worked in the food industry. So many times while watching that movie I was like, "oh yeah this is completely accurate."